What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mohamed Sanu traded to Patriots (1 Viewer)

Adam Schefter

@AdamSchefter

·

6m

Another trade: Falcons are sending WR Mohamed Sanu to the New England Patriots in exchange for a second-round pick, league sources tell ESPN.

Where does he fit in in the pecking order in NE? Edelman, Gordon, Sanu, Dorsett, Meyers? Maybe ahead of Gordon?

Where does he fit in in the pecking order in NE? Edelman, Gordon, Sanu, Dorsett, Meyers? Maybe ahead of Gordon?
Probably depends on match-ups. I know the pecking order went Edelman, Gordon, Dorsett, Meyers before the injury to Gordon. I wonder where he slots in after, or where he lines up, even. It's too bad for me. I was counting on Meyers for a few weeks in a few leagues in Gordon's absence.  I think that's shot now. 

Edelman / White / Gordon / Sanu / Dorsett ... too many mouths to feed.  Dilute everyone's value except Brady's of course.  

Wonder if there's a bigger injury we don't know about ...

Edelman / White / Gordon / Sanu / Dorsett ... too many mouths to feed.  Dilute everyone's value except Brady's of course.  

Wonder if there's a bigger injury we don't know about ...
Makes me feel Gordon isn't close. And they consider anything from Harry gravy. 

Adam Schefter

@AdamSchefter

Patriots needed more offensive help, period. They had been trying to trade for Mohamed Sanu since before the 2019 draft. As Atlanta’s season continued to go south, Falcons began looking out long term while Patriots are upgrading for short term.

WOW!  This is good news for me as I was in need of WR3 with Tyrell W on the shelf.  And I offered Sanu up last week... 

So, after last night's MNF game vs NYJ, the offense had moments of mediocre performance.  

Dorsett 3 of 4; Meyers had a drop (negated by penalty); Edelman 7 of 12 with 2 drops; and the RB's with the high # targets.  White was 7 of 8 catches & Bolden 3 of 4

Maybe they realize the RB's cannot carry the game when facing a better defense (Clev then Balt prior to bye).  

And with Josh Gordon on the shelf 2 weeks before Bye, this might be an indication of his overall availability. 

And since NEP was after Sanu PRIOR to the 2019 Draft in April, they recognized it long ago.  

As many times as the Pats had some no-name (Olswesky?) lining up in 4-wide sets last night I can see why they felt the need to add another weapon...

Some extra balls for Ridley in Atlanta rest of season one would hope.
I think with the OL issues in ATL, it will be more dump off to Freeman and Hooper getting the extra 6-9 targets Sanu saw each week.  Calvin & Julio might see 1 more each, but the whole offense is struggling and I don't see any resolution coming until 2020.  They are in "rebuild mode" themselves

He's no Antonio Brown and he's 3d on the receiving depth chart behind Edelman and White. I think he's insurance for Edelman and Gordon. But he's been on the NE radar for some time. In the best case, he's a consistent chain mover and GL option.

Why is everyone down playing this? This makes Sanu a big pickup, especially since NE wanted him for a while.. They arent giving up a 2nd and making him 3rd on the depth chart. IMO He becomes a instant target for Brady.

Why is everyone down playing this? This makes Sanu a big pickup, especially since NE wanted him for a while.. They arent giving up a 2nd and making him 3rd on the depth chart. IMO He becomes a instant target for Brady.
I'm not downplaying it; he's just owned in a lot of leagues and the NEP are the definition of spreading the ball around, both of which cap his value.

Whos downplaying? He should be owned everywhere.

New England driving up the price on any other AFC teams thinking they want to make a move.  They know that 2nd rounder is pick 60-64 overall.

I'm not downplaying it; he's just owned in a lot of leagues and the NEP are the definition of spreading the ball around, both of which cap his value.
I get that, but Sanu fits in NE offense so well with how they pass. I bet by years end he is Brady's favorite target. I think it's telling they were after him for a while. That kind of tells me they are going to be looking his way alot. If I owned Dorsett, White, or even eventually JE I would be very very nervous.

who is sanu replacing.... dorsett? or is gordon's injury more serious than initially reported? bump to sanu's value but barring another injury it would seem like he wont be reliable enough to be anything more than a what the heck flex

is it the pats second or another team's second?

I heard on the radio if they lose Sanu to Free Agency at the end of the year they get a 3rd round compensatory pick. So not as hefty as it sounds.
Unless Sanu ends up getting a $14+ million a year contract, he’s not getting slotted as a 3rd round compensatory pick. 

That being said, NE gave up a 2nd and a 7th to get Welker. The difference being that Sanu is already 30.

I get that, but Sanu fits in NE offense so well with how they pass. I bet by years end he is Brady's favorite target. I think it's telling they were after him for a while. That kind of tells me they are going to be looking his way alot. If I owned Dorsett, White, or even eventually JE I would be very very nervous.
I don't disagree with anything you've written, actually. It's a huge fantasy move that will affect each of the players you list. I just think either most people already see a rostered Sanu in their league and that the Pats are a tough place to be a consistent WR2 behind Edelman, who himself is a WR2.

Unless Sanu ends up getting a $14+ million a year contract, he’s not getting slotted as a 3rd round compensatory pick. 

That being said, NE gave up a 2nd and a 7th to get Welker. The difference being that Sanu is already 30.
ok then the radio person (Boomer Esiasion) was wrong then.

Let’s take a deep breath here. They don’t really have another go to receiver besides Edelman. JE has been playing with a rib injury for weeks and is getting beat up. They are trying to find someone that can take some of the hits Edelman is getting. JE is still going to be their go to guy when it matters. 

Also of note, I do not believe any of their main receivers is signed long term. Gordon and Dorsett are free agents after this year and IIRC there is an option for Edelman. Let’s also not forget they have Harry coming back in two weeks. 

The issue for dynasty for any NE players is we have no idea who their coach and QB will be year to year. So really hard to have more than a guess of player value for NE players. 

Let’s take a deep breath here. They don’t really have another go to receiver besides Edelman. JE has been playing with a rib injury for weeks and is getting beat up. They are trying to find someone that can take some of the hits Edelman is getting. JE is still going to be their go to guy when it matters. 

Also of note, I do not believe any of their main receivers is signed long term. Gordon and Dorsett are free agents after this year and IIRC there is an option for Edelman. Let’s also not forget they have Harry coming back in two weeks. 

The issue for dynasty for any NE players is we have no idea who their coach and QB will be year to year. So really hard to have more than a guess of player value for NE players. 
History shows when NE picks an offensive player up, he gets a ton of work. (Blount, Gordon, Brown, Bennett)

We also don’t know if they are interested in  having Sanu return kicks. 

I am still not a fan of any NE WR not named Edelman. IMO, Gordon, Dorsett, Harry, Sanu, Meyers all may have moments but I don’t see any of them seeing a ton of targets and putting up consistent fantasy numbers this year. 

Looks like he's on the books for $6.5M in 2020. They can keep him if he has good mojo with Brady, or of course restructure/extend 

We also don’t know if they are interested in  having Sanu return kicks. 

I am still not a fan of any NE WR not named Edelman. IMO, Gordon, Dorsett, Harry, Sanu, Meyers all may have moments but I don’t see any of them seeing a ton of targets and putting up consistent fantasy numbers this year. 
But if you already have Sanu on your fantasy team, he was a bye week filler. No way you drop him now, it's wait and see, or perhaps trade him. His value may never be higher if you're right.

Good move for both teams.  NE gets another guy that can help lock down and block the safeties.  Another big body receiver that can use his body to position CBs.   Atlanta gets a great pick for Sanu (who was borderline going to be cut before the season).  A 2nd round pick, even at 64, is better than nothing. 

I heard on the radio if they lose Sanu to Free Agency at the end of the year they get a 3rd round compensatory pick. So not as hefty as it sounds.
Um, your source is really really bad, because he's not a Free Agent at the end of the year.  Someone trying to sound smart but missing the mark (twice).

But if you already have Sanu on your fantasy team, he was a bye week filler. No way you drop him now, it's wait and see, or perhaps trade him. His value may never be higher if you're right.
It's funny.. I included him in 2 offers prior to Sunday's games.  Nobody wanted him (He is WR55 in our scoring at 10.1 pt/wk - full PPR or WR39 in total points). 

Today, I received 2 low ball offers but it has me thinking .... I am not sure what his value should be now in NE.  Does he now warrant Top 30 WR value?   Does it give him a 5 pt/wk bump? 

With over 85 WR rostered in my 12 team league, worthy FA WR are hard to come by.  I started him 4x since we have start 2 WR & 2 Flex.  He has fantasy value in some systems.  

It's funny.. I included him in 2 offers prior to Sunday's games.  Nobody wanted him (He is WR55 in our scoring at 10.1 pt/wk - full PPR or WR39 in total points). 

Today, I received 2 low ball offers but it has me thinking .... I am not sure what his value should be now in NE.  Does he now warrant Top 30 WR value?   Does it give him a 5 pt/wk bump? 

With over 85 WR rostered in my 12 team league, worthy FA WR are hard to come by.  I started him 4x since we have start 2 WR & 2 Flex.  He has fantasy value in some systems.  
Gotta be worth that, one would think.

Though I haven't sort of sorted and really tiered or anything like that.

eta* He's also at WR55 in our standard, non-PPR league. Top thirty might be ambitious.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why in the world would Sanu gain value from this? Wasn't Atlanta a better passing environment with less competition for targets? 

I am downplaying this.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread