Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

*** Official *** Star Wars Episode 9: The Rise of Skywalker

4 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

Do you listen to podcasts?  I thought of you and this thread as I listened to the Binge Mode podcast last night.  Hated isnt the right word, but they were in this camp of liking the changes Johnson brought to the series, mostly going against you needing a special bloodline to be special with the force and Luke's choices.  I think you would like their podcasts- they are talking about the Mandalorian too. 

Mostly their beefs were bringing back the Emperor without a reason how (setting it up for people to wonder if he is even dead this time),  and taking few chances emotionally- the Chewie fake out, the C3PO mind wipe/R2 fix, etc.  They brought up a lot of interesting points and back knowledge of interviews and articles.  I could see people really not liking this one.  

Nothing wrong with those beefs. Everyone has different opinions.

Kylo dying was extremely powerful emotionally for manyfans. So while I get that it would have been more powerful to kill Chewie than to let him live, I think that the goal was to have a happy ending, not game of thrones kill all the main characters and limp to the finish line.

• Replies 941
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nobody wants to hear but.... I saw A New Hope (which we all just knew as Star Wars for most of my childhood) when I was 7.  My uncle took my cousins and I.  I grew up watchng them all, moved

Went to see this last Monday. About 20 minutes in I had a sorta epiphany about these new run of Star Wars.... These movies all have incredible visuals and hyper creative worlds. The sets, setting

This movie was outstanding. Suck it, haters.

11 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

Do you listen to podcasts?  I thought of you and this thread as I listened to the Binge Mode podcast last night.  Hated isnt the right word, but they were in this camp of liking the changes Johnson brought to the series, mostly going against you needing a special bloodline to be special with the force and Luke's choices.  I think you would like their podcasts- they are talking about the Mandalorian too. 

Mostly their beefs were bringing back the Emperor without a reason how (setting it up for people to wonder if he is even dead this time),  and taking few chances emotionally- the Chewie fake out, the C3PO mind wipe/R2 fix, etc.  They brought up a lot of interesting points and back knowledge of interviews and articles.  I could see people really not liking this one.  

I don't listen to his. He lost all credibility the last couple years with me with how vehemently he attacked fans for not liking TLJ.

Unless of course you were referring to something generally and not Scott Mendelson.

Edited by Insein
Just now, KarmaPolice said:

Is that the same guy hosting the podcast as the linked article? 

My mistake. You were just replying to that post I thought you meant he ran it. 

I'll check it out.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Insein said:

It's a way to deflect genuine criticism on poor writing and plot choices by saying "it's for kids you big manbaby."

I haven’t seen any legit criticisms.  I’ve seen people that aren’t happy with the way the plot went, or people that claim the writing was bad, but no serious criticism.

You get to have an opinion.  But you often speak as if your opinion is the absolute truth. Many people don’t agree the plot choices are poor, or that the writing was bad. 

I thought the plot was awesome and I have no idea what you mean by “bad writing”.  Bad dialogue is what Lucas specialized in. 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, shader said:

Nothing wrong with those beefs. Everyone has different opinions.

Kylo dying was extremely powerful emotionally for manyfans. So while I get that it would have been more powerful to kill Chewie than to let him live, I think that the goal was to have a happy ending, not game of thrones kill all the main characters and limp to the finish line.

Then they don't remember the ending of Jedi? ;)

1 minute ago, shader said:

I don’t get your point here.

Emperor battle, 1 basically died to save the other after having a change of heart.  Not saying people weren't effected by it, but it couldn't have been very surprising either.    Add to that the big space battle overhead while the Emperor eggs on the protagonist.  Wasn't Lando behind a last second save the day in Jedi too?    Basically from Rey going to where the Emperor is to the end is Jedi 2.0.   

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

Emperor battle, 1 basically died to save the other after having a change of heart.  Not saying people weren't effected by it, but it couldn't have been very surprising either.    Add to that the big space battle overhead while the Emperor eggs on the protagonist.  Wasn't Lando behind a last second save the day in Jedi too?    Basically from Rey going to where the Emperor is to the end is Jedi 2.0.   

It was emotional because Kylo was a powerful young character that was beloved.  He finally became good and then died.  That’s different than Vader’s death in a number of ways.  

Of course there are definitely parallels and that plays into the idea this is a semi-reboot for the new generation.  But the Kylo death was still a very emotional moment for many, especially kids and teenagers.  Basically all they are talking about.

1 hour ago, shader said:

It was emotional because Kylo was a powerful young character that was beloved.  He finally became good and then died.  That’s different than Vader’s death in a number of ways.  

Of course there are definitely parallels and that plays into the idea this is a semi-reboot for the new generation.  But the Kylo death was still a very emotional moment for many, especially kids and teenagers.  Basically all they are talking about.

Why was somebody who killed Han Solo in cold blood so beloved?  Was it because we saw his face, saw him shirtless, and teens were shipping him and Rey?  

Where we disagree with is probably the level this one was aping Return of the Jedi, and that's ok.  

2 hours ago, Don't Noonan said:

Saw it on Monday and I really enjoyed it.  I would put on on par with Empire Strikes Back so an average Star Wars movie.  Solid.

The troll powers are strong with this one. 

• Like 3
4 hours ago, shader said:

I haven’t seen any legit criticisms.  I’ve seen people that aren’t happy with the way the plot went, or people that claim the writing was bad, but no serious criticism.

You get to have an opinion.  But you often speak as if your opinion is the absolute truth. Many people don’t agree the plot choices are poor, or that the writing was bad. 

I thought the plot was awesome and I have no idea what you mean by “bad writing”.  Bad dialogue is what Lucas specialized in. 

That is a criticism of the writing.  If somebody doesn't think the plot works, the character choices don't make sense, there are silly glowing McGuffins, etc..   all that is criticizing the writing.  

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, ConstruxBoy said:

I think this is a excellent summary of my thoughts as well. I just preferred that Johnson's vision would have been carried through RoS. 

Linky

These films? They aren’t a trilogy. They’re more like direct rebukes of each other.

A very good way of putting it.  

one of my jobs, i work in the movie business, and have an office in a movie theater.  I'm there virtually every day even if for just 10 minutes to fire off a couple emails or something.  So every day since last Thursday i've been seeing the crowds at the theater.   I wasn't surprised on monday to see it did $30 Million,  someone posted that in this thread a few pages back.  I haven't been able to find the Tuesday totals but I suspect they are also in the 25-30 Million range,  and then this morning i found the UPI story about it doing $35 Million yesterday.  So it opened at 176 Million (Fri-Sat-Sun plus the late Thurs showings), and has done another $90 Mill  estimated since.  Probably going to do another 30Mil today and then you have this weekend where it will dominate again as all the people that still haven't seen it will finally get a chance to and the people that have seen it will go see it again.   It definitely is a movie with legs.

• Like 1

After the backlash of TLJ, I think people are hesitant to see this and with good word of mouth they are now going.  My boss said he wanted to wait until someone he knew saw it.  Feel like thats going to give it legs

3 minutes ago, B Maverick said:

After the backlash of TLJ, I think people are hesitant to see this and with good word of mouth they are now going.  My boss said he wanted to wait until someone he knew saw it.  Feel like thats going to give it legs

I think Christmas being mid week had more of an impact than TLJ.  Many people celebrated Xmas and/or were traveling last weekend which I think explains the solid numbers the last couple of days and people are finally getting a chance to go. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, tommyboy said:

one of my jobs, i work in the movie business, and have an office in a movie theater.  I'm there virtually every day even if for just 10 minutes to fire off a couple emails or something.  So every day since last Thursday i've been seeing the crowds at the theater.   I wasn't surprised on monday to see it did $30 Million,  someone posted that in this thread a few pages back.  I haven't been able to find the Tuesday totals but I suspect they are also in the 25-30 Million range,  and then this morning i found the UPI story about it doing $35 Million yesterday.  So it opened at 176 Million (Fri-Sat-Sun plus the late Thurs showings), and has done another $90 Mill  estimated since.  Probably going to do another 30Mil today and then you have this weekend where it will dominate again as all the people that still haven't seen it will finally get a chance to and the people that have seen it will go see it again.   It definitely is a movie with legs.

Here are the day by day totals.  Scroll to bottom

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/release/rl3305145857/?ref_=bo_hm_rd

• Thanks 1

Loved it. They basically ignored The Last Jedi which was a great decision. We all wish we can forget that POS. 

I absolutely love Rey. Sad we won't be able to see that character again. My favorite SW character of all. 

What did Finn wanna tell her?

I find it funny you didn't even have to watch the last movie. It can basically be ignored. Also funny how they put an end to the Rose character after all the backlash. Kind of feel bad as an actress though what do you tell her? "Everybody hated you, we should've killed your character but since we didn't youre only gonna have a bit part and completely ignore the love story with Finn."

• Like 1
3 hours ago, tommyboy said:

When is episode X? After the take thing thing pulls down they are going to throw a fortune at the big 3 actors. 

18 minutes ago, Capella said:

When is episode X? After the take thing thing pulls down they are going to throw a fortune at the big 3 actors. 

Those actors are done with Star Wars for some time. Maybe in 10 years and they're hard up for work, they might reconsider but they are completely done with it right now. Keri Russell did an interview with Oscar Isaac where he basically said nope to anymore Star Wars. She jokingly asked him if he would take $3m and episode for a spin off show and he said "cashing in my chips." I'm sure they are burnt out on the whole thing. 

31 minutes ago, shadyridr said:

Loved it. They basically ignored The Last Jedi which was a great decision. We all wish we can forget that POS. 

I absolutely love Rey. Sad we won't be able to see that character again. My favorite SW character of all. 

he was force sensitive

• Thinking 1
1 hour ago, shadyridr said:

I think to not expect all the dead Jedi to come back all together as ghosts at the end. 

10 hours ago, ConstruxBoy said:

I think this is a excellent summary of my thoughts as well. I just preferred that Johnson's vision would have been carried through RoS. 

Linky

It nails the point about the assumption that story doesn't matter.  Similar to the end of GoT.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, shadyridr said:

We do?

Couple of questions, but I'll hide in case someone hasn't seen this yet...

1) why did rey not disappear like Ben?

2) is bb8 meant to look like the two suns on tattoine?

3) is the old lady at the end aunt beru?

Edited by rascal
7 minutes ago, rascal said:

Couple of questions, but I'll hide in case someone hasn't seen this yet...

Hide contents

1) why did rey not disappear like Ben?

2) is bb8 meant to look like the two suns on tattoine?

3) is the old lady at the end aunt beru?

1) not dead long enough maybe?

2) coincidence I think

3) wasn’t she burned to death with uncle Owen in New Hope?

Haven’t read the thread so sorry if this is a repeat but if the Emperor never diesD then Anakin didn’t bring balance to the force and it negates episodes 1-6 and the Star Wars story.  Just my thoughts which is why I didn’t like it.

Fun popcorn movie ala transformers. Nothing more than that for me. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Billy Bats said:

Haven’t read the thread so sorry if this is a repeat but if the Emperor never diesD then Anakin didn’t bring balance to the force and it negates episodes 1-6 and the Star Wars story.  Just my thoughts which is why I didn’t like it.

4-6 were about Luke not Anakin. When A New Hope was written, Anakin and Vader weren’t even the same person.

It was only years later when the prequels came out that Licas tried to say that really the entire thing was about Anakin...but I never believed it then, and I don’t know.

Anakin/Vader was still an extremely important part of the franchise as his two kids played a role in finishing off the Emperor and he had a profound impact on Kylo.

20 minutes ago, shader said:

4-6 were about Luke not Anakin. When A New Hope was written, Anakin and Vader weren’t even the same person.

It was only years later when the prequels came out that Licas tried to say that really the entire thing was about Anakin...but I never believed it then, and I don’t know.

Anakin/Vader was still an extremely important part of the franchise as his two kids played a role in finishing off the Emperor and he had a profound impact on Kylo.

I'll give you that 4 was about Luke, but 5 was about Vader kicking the rebellion's ###, and then 6 was about Vader's redemption.

All Luke did in 5 was nearly freeze to death after failing to see an animal right next to him while scanning the planet for life forms, screw up an X-wing landing, whine like a baby, be disobedient to his teachers, and then lose to Vader.

In 6, he did save Han, but that's not what the movie was about. Other than chasing after some storm troopers on speeders, all he did was lose to the emporer. If it wasn't for Vader, he'd be dead. His only redeeming quality was choosing not to kill Vader when he had the chance, which is an act that shows even Luke knows it's about Vader and not him. 

55 minutes ago, Politician Spock said:

I'll give you that 4 was about Luke, but 5 was about Vader kicking the rebellion's ###, and then 6 was about Vader's redemption.

All Luke did in 5 was nearly freeze to death after failing to see an animal right next to him while scanning the planet for life forms, screw up an X-wing landing, whine like a baby, be disobedient to his teachers, and then lose to Vader.

In 6, he did save Han, but that's not what the movie was about. Other than chasing after some storm troopers on speeders, all he did was lose to the emporer. If it wasn't for Vader, he'd be dead. His only redeeming quality was choosing not to kill Vader when he had the chance, which is an act that shows even Luke knows it's about Vader and not him. 

This is a level of Star Wars fandom that I don’t understand or relate to, myself. Probably why there are so many divergent opinions on the series overall. 

Edited by ConstruxBoy
  • Like 1

I loved the movie. I thought it was the best of the this last third. 

But I'm a sucker for some things. I cried when Han came back for his conversation with Kylo. But it felt personal to me — my dad died a couple of years ago and it’s still raw, and my 19 year old son, well . . . There’s been difficulties. The movie hit just the right spot for me there. 

Overall, I think I was entertained more than the last movie. I was on the edge of my seat more. Well done. 

Edited by Sweet J
  • Like 4
1 hour ago, Politician Spock said:

Don’t get me wrong, I love Vader. Best villain and probably the best character in SW. (as Vader, the prequels Anakin was mostly a joke) But Luke was the hero of 4-6, that’s hard to dispute.

In 6, Vader lost a fight to Luke and only survived because Luke wouldn’t turn dark.  Vader turning good and throwing the emperor off the ledge was not really a redemption.  He quickly decided at the last minute, while dying, to save his son and throw the emperor off the ledge.  If the movie was about Vader’s redemption, it was a pretty awful script because Vader was mostly bad through 95% of the movie.  I guarantee the reviews written in 1983 didn’t review  the movie as a tale of Vader’s redemption, but instead a tale of the light side overcoming the dark side.

Lucas tried to change the narrative a bit to promote the prequels.  When you forget about what Lucas said and just watch the 9, it’s balanced quite nicely.  Anakin in 1-3, Luke/Leia in 4-6, Rey in 7-9. 

Edited by shader
  • Like 1
39 minutes ago, Sweet J said:

I loved the movie. I thought it was the best of the this last third. 

But I'm a sucker for some things. I cried when Han came back for his conversation with Kylo. But it felt personal to me — my dad dies a couple of years ago and it’s still raw, and my 19 year old son, well . . . There’s been difficulties. The movie hit just the right spot for me there. 

Overall, I think I was entertained more than the last movie. I was on the edge of my seat more. Well done. 

I choked up too when he said “dad”.  Driver killed that scene.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, Billy Bats said:

On those lines - if the Emperor can't die in a reactor explosion and we don't get a reason how he came back, how can he be dead this time around when he explodes?

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

On those lines - if the Emperor can't die in a reactor explosion and we don't get a reason how he came back, how can he be dead this time around when he explodes?

He did die.  He even said it.  He came back from the dead.  Something he hinted at having the power to do in episode 3.  He referenced that line in 9, and his ability to have survived episode 6 has long been speculated about.

As to the reasons for why this death at the hands of all the Jedi is probably final, I suppose the novelization will fully flesh that out...or not........

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, shader said:

He did die.  He even said it.  He came back from the dead.  Something he hinted at having the power to do in episode 3.  He referenced that line in 9, and his ability to have survived episode 6 has long been speculated about.

As to the reasons for why this death at the hands of all the Jedi is probably final, I suppose the novelization will fully flesh that out...or not........

Lol. "Read the book to find the real reason even though I think the books suck ### but not this book because I like what happens."