What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official *** Star Wars Episode 9: The Rise of Skywalker (1 Viewer)

I just find it odd you are so fine with letting the novelization explain the movie. Imo that should be on the filmmakers.  
Happens all of the time in reverse.  I remember when my kids were reading Harry Potter, we would read a book, then watch the movie.  My wife watched the movies but didn't read the books.  Obviously a lot was cut out, but they would leave hints to larger pieces of the book and we'd comment that you would have no idea what was going on if you hadn't read the book.

Though I'd agree it doesn't make as much sense when the movie is coming first.  I generally find that is just the way they are making action type movies these days.  The original trilogies were much smaller stories (taking place in a larger galaxy) where the new movies try to squeeze the entire universe into one story.  Leaves a lot of questions and things unclear (this isn't a criticism of just Star Wars, as I find the same issue with Marvel movies, but maybe I'm just getting old).

Happens all of the time in reverse.  I remember when my kids were reading Harry Potter, we would read a book, then watch the movie.  My wife watched the movies but didn't read the books.  Obviously a lot was cut out, but they would leave hints to larger pieces of the book and we'd comment that you would have no idea what was going on if you hadn't read the book.

Though I'd agree it doesn't make as much sense when the movie is coming first.  I generally find that is just the way they are making action type movies these days.  The original trilogies were much smaller stories (taking place in a larger galaxy) where the new movies try to squeeze the entire universe into one story.  Leaves a lot of questions and things unclear (this isn't a criticism of just Star Wars, as I find the same issue with Marvel movies, but maybe I'm just getting old).

1, this was written as a movie, so I think it's different and the onus is on the movie makers to have the movie make sense and fit into the any world that it created beforehand.  2.  If a movie based on a book also leaves out stuff so that it can't be understand solely by watching the movie, I think that's also a problem.  

It's been a long time since I've read/watched HP, so I guess I can't think of any specific example in my head of what you are talking about.  

ETA:  sorry - skimmed the post too fast, and realized that we are agreeing about a movie being written first.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess.  Still basically all about rey being a palpatine and the only people with real power are that way because of a bloodline.  
This is silly. Most of the Jedi didn't have any special bloodline. Why do people think this is a thing?  It's a huge thematic element of the 9 films because they tell the story of the Skywalker saga, which is standard fare in an will story set over generations. 

Aside from Skywalker's and the new development with Rey and Palpatine, what other blood relatives are there among the Jedi in the SW canon?

This is silly. Most of the Jedi didn't have any special bloodline. Why do people think this is a thing?  It's a huge thematic element of the 9 films because they tell the story of the Skywalker saga, which is standard fare in an will story set over generations. 

Aside from Skywalker's and the new development with Rey and Palpatine, what other blood relatives are there among the Jedi in the SW canon?
Apparently Yoda was gettin' busy. 

I just find it odd you are so fine with letting the novelization explain the movie. Imo that should be on the filmmakers.  
Star Was has been served up with massive background holes for others to fill since Obi Wan showed up on Tatooine imo.  This isn't inconsistent with the way the mythos is built. All of these questions have us all talking about the movies long after they're gone from the theaters. 

The only difference between now and 1977 is that the pessimists looking for reasons to break down the experience than just walked away from the discussions and let the optimists keep dreaming.

Now with the interenet and social media you all feel the need to continue the dialogue and convince others how wrong they are for allowing the movies to become bigger than they are on their own. 

Apparently Yoda was gettin' busy. 
True dat. But again, this happened after all the strange objections about bloodlines. I am totally shuked where this came from. Did anyone complain about the centrality of SW bloodlines before TFA hinted at Rey's parentage being special? I don't recall anything of substance until the SJWs and their political opponents started their petty i-fighting. 

Political zealots are trying to ruin our SW just like they're ruining everything else around, imo. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I have managed to watch 7 and 8 since I saw 9 a few days ago.

I really enjoy this trilogy. More than 1-3. Alot more.  5 is still by far my favorite of all of them, but I have to be honest...for me, 7-9 isn't that far off 4-6 to me.  

I'm wondering what my favorite scenes would be if I ranked 10 or 20 of them. I know there would be a few from 8 and 9.

I really enjoy this trilogy. More than 1-3. Alot more.  5 is still by far my favorite of all of them, but I have to be honest...for me, 7-9 isn't that far off 4-6 to me.  

I'm wondering what my favorite scenes would be if I ranked 10 or 20 of them. I know there would be a few from 8 and 9.
7 through 9 have a lot of great scenes. They just don't have a cohesive story.

It's like beef. 4-6 were a great hamburger. 7-9 were a sloppy joe. And 1-3 were just rancid. 

That would be a cool discussion.  Fire up the thread.

My wife watched the original trilogy this weekend for the first time and loved Ep1 :shock:  

Found 2 boring but fine and didn’t love 3. Thought the transition to Vader was extremely stupid (it was). 

My wife watched the original trilogy this weekend for the first time and loved Ep1 :shock:  

Found 2 boring but fine and didn’t love 3. Thought the transition to Vader was extremely stupid (it was). 
My kids are old enough now (probably were old enogh a couple years ago), that we started slogging our way through the movies. I debated myself over and over on what order to watch the episodes. They know enough of Star Wars that nothing is going to be a huge spoiler, and they are still young and enjoy mainly animated movies, that I decided to just go in episode order.

All that to say we watched episode 1 last week. And you know what? I enjoyed it quite a bit. Sure, the CGI was cheesy, and Jar Jar is annoying, but there are loads of good scenes in that movie. Pod racing was enjoyable. Darth Maul was too condensed, but that was a cool ### battle. Liam Neeson was great as Qui-Gon. I don't think I had watched episode 1 since it first came out. I avoided it in all my rewatches. I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed it

Will be interesting to hear where she puts the series alongside the Bond films 😂

I agree with Liam in ep1 too. He was great. Maul fight was great as well. It was fine. I think I’ll move it above ep3 on my imaginary list. 

I agree with Liam in ep1 too. He was great. Maul fight was great as well. It was fine. I think I’ll move it above ep3 on my imaginary list. 
I was just saying the same thing. I really enjoyed EpI. Also the Pod Race and Ewan MacGregor were high points. 

True dat. But again, this happened after all the strange objections about bloodlines. I am totally shuked where this came from. Did anyone complain about the centrality of SW bloodlines before TFA hinted at Rey's parentage being special? I don't recall anything of substance until the SJWs and their political opponents started their petty i-fighting. 

Political zealots are trying to ruin our SW just like they're ruining everything else around, imo. 
Again, I think most of the complaints are that it goes against what was set up with EP8, and I think people with that gripe were down with Johnson's idea to set up a main protagonist that didn't come from a special bloodline.  

I listen to way too many podcasts, and that is one of the consistent things that are brought up, but also it's just a deeper divide of whether you were down with The Last Jedi or not, and I think most of the critics/podcasts I have seen are in the Rian Johnson camp for this trilogy.  

So did she watch the original trilogy or the prequel trilogy?

EP 1 is a solid flick.  Episode 2 was the one I was most disappointed in.

The issue I have always had with the first two is that we were promised that this was the trilogy that was going to tell the story of Darth Vader and the fall of Anakin Skywalker.

After 2 episodes we had a movie with a pretty happy little kid and then a teenager that one time got angry cuz his mom died and killed some Tuscan raiders.  

When I watch 1, I also enjoy it.  But Lucas did a horrific job of showing us the fall.

He had to try and save the trilogy by stuffing a bunch of stuff in 3.

EP 1 is a solid flick.  Episode 2 was the one I was most disappointed in.

The issue I have always had with the first two is that we were promised that this was the trilogy that was going to tell the story of Darth Vader and the fall of Anakin Skywalker.

After 2 episodes we had a movie with a pretty happy little kid and then a teenager that one time got angry cuz his mom died and killed some Tuscan raiders.  

When I watch 1, I also enjoy it.  But Lucas did a horrific job of showing us the fall.

He had to try and save the trilogy by stuffing a bunch of stuff in 3.
Not to mention Hayden Christiansen and Natalie Portman had as much chemistry as a brother and sister. 

Or as Finn and Rey
Not sure what this means.  Finn and Rey have great chemistry. One of the biggest disappointments of 8 was the fact that they didn’t have more than 30 seconds of screen time together.

They also aren’t a couple either...

Not sure what this means.  Finn and Rey have great chemistry. One of the biggest disappointments of 8 was the fact that they didn’t have more than 30 seconds of screen time together.

They didn't have time to be a couple, but didn't their kiss say they wanted to be?

I'm a fan of the new trilogy, but sorry they have no chemistry whatsoever. Same as Finn and Rose.

Poe and Rey have more chemistry than any of those. And Finn and New Girl the ex-stormtrooper also have more chemistry.  But is Finn even hetero? He always seems distracted when he's not hero worshipping Rey. 

Surprised to see the love for Episode 1 in here.  I saw it in the theater and then spent a dozen years skipping Episode 2 and 3.  I thought it was so bad that if my kid hadn't picked up the franchise I doubt I'd have ever bothered with them.

Surprised to see the love for Episode 1 in here.  I saw it in the theater and then spent a dozen years skipping Episode 2 and 3.  I thought it was so bad that if my kid hadn't picked up the franchise I doubt I'd have ever bothered with them.
It was basically avatar. Looked good, but just terrible.

Again, I think most of the complaints are that it goes against what was set up with EP8, and I think people with that gripe were down with Johnson's idea to set up a main protagonist that didn't come from a special bloodline.  

I listen to way too many podcasts, and that is one of the consistent things that are brought up, but also it's just a deeper divide of whether you were down with The Last Jedi or not, and I think most of the critics/podcasts I have seen are in the Rian Johnson camp for this trilogy.  
I think you had to be really naive to think Kylo was telling her the truth or the full story. 

I do think RJ meant that line as truth. Then it got corrected in Ep9. 
I remember him saying in an interview that he is all about trying to push the characters in his movie and having stuff happen to them that would be the hardest for them to come to grips with - and thought Rey's parents being nobodies would be harder for her to come to grips with than if she would be what we thought was coming - she was related to Luke, Kylo, or somebody like that.  

I remember him saying in an interview that he is all about trying to push the characters in his movie and having stuff happen to them that would be the hardest for them to come to grips with - and thought Rey's parents being nobodies would be harder for her to come to grips with than if she would be what we thought was coming - she was related to Luke, Kylo, or somebody like that.  
And that would have been fine if JJ didn't set up that she was obviously abandoned for a reason in TFA. 

I keep going back to the lack of planning in this trilogy but it truly is amazing the level of incompetence from very successful people. How did they just wing it for a billion dollar franchise?

My family and I saw this a couple of days ago. It was o.k. to good. Not great. I didn't leave thinking I'd want to see it again. I couldn't shake the feelings that I had seen this movie before, most of the call backs were forced (except for Han's "I know" - that was great), they succumbed once again to fan service over cohesive story telling, and virtually no risks were taken in the writing. It all felt very calculated. In that way I appreciate what Johnson attempted with the previous film, trying to break out of the established pattern and go different directions, but unfortunately the execution was very poor. Similarly with Lucas's prequels.

I think the thing that's left me not caring much about Star Wars anymore is that it's a product line we're to consume more than anything, not really an innovative creative endeavor (in terms of story telling, the technological film making aspects are always pushing the envelope). I realize at the time of the original Lucas definitely had plenty of marketing around the film, and merchandising was a key aspect of his approach. But it's gone way beyond what it was in the late 70's/early 80's to where it is now. Back when it came out the Spaceballs spoof "Spaceballs The Toilet Paper" was (ostensibly) funny because it was a ridiculous notion. Now there actually is Star Wars toilet paper.

I keep going back to the lack of planning in this trilogy but it truly is amazing the level of incompetence from very successful people. How did they just wing it for a billion dollar franchise?
I hope I live long enough to see the entire franchise remade, one-nine, with a single vision and coherent story.

I never got the impression that Rey cared who her parents were, just that she wanted to know who they actually were and why they gave her up — not that she hoped they were special, just something more than scumbags that gave her away for booze. 

I do think RJ meant that line as truth. Then it got corrected in Ep9. 
It was the...….. SPOILERS FOR THOSE WHO HAVEN"T SEEN IT...……..  Empire Strikes Back - "Luke, I am Your Father" moment in reverse.  It was meant to facilitate discussion between fans while waiting for the new movie  the way that that moment in ESB did back in the 80s.  

Users who are viewing this thread