What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official *** Star Wars Episode 9: The Rise of Skywalker (2 Viewers)

My prediction is that in 20 or so years, someone will come along and "remake" episodes 7, 8, and 9, in a similar way that Cameron tried to erase the other Terminator films and have this last one be the direct sequel to T2. And, fans will be happier with those versions of 7, 8, and 9, then the ones we got. Maybe Disney will allow the Thrawn trilogy to be made for those episodes. Those films would have been exponentially better than what we got. Episode 7 was pretty good though. Rogue One is fantastic. Maybe they could make Shadows of the Empire or something to fill in the time.

Exactly.  I still think the setup was better in esb but I am tainted from having that be a truth for so long.
It also had a pay off immediately and in the next movie. The Rey- velation is just kind of like ok? They literally could have said she was anybody and it doesn't really change anything where as Luke being Vader's son was a huge paradigm shift.

My prediction is that in 20 or so years, someone will come along and "remake" episodes 7, 8, and 9, in a similar way that Cameron tried to erase the other Terminator films and have this last one be the direct sequel to T2. And, fans will be happier with those versions of 7, 8, and 9, then the ones we got. Maybe Disney will allow the Thrawn trilogy to be made for those episodes. Those films would have been exponentially better than what we got. Episode 7 was pretty good though. Rogue One is fantastic. Maybe they could make Shadows of the Empire or something to fill in the time.
I was thinking they could do that in general and just say it's part of the legends universe. They can save face and people finally get what they want. It will be awhile before we get there though.

It also had a pay off immediately and in the next movie. The Rey- velation is just kind of like ok? They literally could have said she was anybody and it doesn't really change anything where as Luke being Vader's son was a huge paradigm shift.
The single biggest problem with comparing any reveal to that one is that nobody did in fact see it coming, so it was a seminal moment in film. Now with everything afterwards, especially with Star Wars, people are going to expect some type of twist/revelation. Once that genie is out of the bottle, there's no going back.

That said, I didn't have much of an issue with the reveal beyond who would willingly sleep with Palpatine ~40 years prior to the events. I guess he wasn't the Dark Raisin at the time, and some lady might have gone the "sugar daddy" route with him, so it isn't that farfetched.

I think you were the one who said they will remake Harry Potter too. Neither will ever, ever happen. 

There's apparently a fair chunk of the galaxy that's poorly mapped, and the Sith have a ton of experience working in the shadows behind the scenes. The crew may have simply been cobbled together from the conscriptions that were apparently happening everywhere, based on at least one First Order higher up still serving the Emperor. Galaxies are big places, there can be a lot of places to hide within them.
At least in the expanded universe they explained that the First Order was remnants of The Empire rebuilding their fleets in their remaining systems and territories for years out in the unknown outer rim which was sort of borrowed from the Legends stuff relating to Thrawn that they threw away.

But the Emperor manages to build, crew and/or gather hundreds of massive Star Destroyers all on one small planetoid that is so perilous to reach you need a small craft to navigate the only way in and so secret that there’s only two completely hidden away maps to it in the entire galaxy? Basically it’s a huge logic reach in order to justify them all being gathered in one place and being sitting ducks on the surface so these super powerful planet killers can be easily destroyed.

Last edited by a moderator:
At least in the expanded universe they explained that the First Order was remnants of The Empire rebuilding their fleets in their remaining systems and territories for years out in the unknown outer rim which was sort of borrowed from the Legends stuff relating to Thrawn that they threw away.

But the Emperor manages to build, crew and/or gather hundreds of massive Star Destroyers all on one small planetoid that is so perilous to reach you need a small craft to navigate the only way in and so secret that there’s only two completely hidden away maps to it in the entire galaxy? Basically it’s a huge logic reach in order to justify them all being gathered in one place and being sitting ducks on the surface so these super powerful planet killers can be easily destroyed.
In fairness, it never explains how a laser from the Death Star can destroy a planet, which would take something capable of a few teratons of energy. There are logic gaps in a few places through the entire franchise, like jumping across the galaxy in hours, but I feel as though the trip through the passage was the only known way, but space doesn't work like that, unless we're starring to talk about differing dimensions somehow.

The fact that Luke helps her, Leia knew, kylo knew, and yet still they gave her the power of 1000 Jedis. Yes very much so
I disagree. Were they not going to help whoever at that point to stop an inexplicably resurrected Palpatine? If it was Exar Kun, they'd throw in with him to beat Palpatine.

Really had fun at Return of the Jedi...er, The Rise of Skywalker.  

Wife really liked it, 13 year old not so much.  

I would love to see Favreau take the reins on the whole thing but that’s an elite director who would be pigeonholing himself into one thing. Don’t see that happening. 

I disagree. Were they not going to help whoever at that point to stop an inexplicably resurrected Palpatine? If it was Exar Kun, they'd throw in with him to beat Palpatine.
Kylo ren being an actual Skywalker makes sense, especially if palpatine succeeds in turning Rey

I think you were the one who said they will remake Harry Potter too. Neither will ever, ever happen. 
Harry Potter Deathly Hallows came out in 2010 and 2011. I still have 11 years for this bet to be followed through on.

On the flip side, Return of the King came out in 2003 and Amazon is getting ready to start filming a longer tv version. So, that is about 17 years later.

Terminator 2 came out in 1991 and too many crappy sequels where Cameron blew it up. So, that was 28 years later but was still remade, in a way.

I'll stand by my Harry Potter bet.

I was satisfied, generally. I think it was much better than the review score (come on, I haven't seen it but there's no way the third Jumanji movie is better than ROS), generally agree with the Rotten Tomatoes audience score of 86%.

There were definitely some wonky plot points that I could nitpick, but I re-watched all 8 movies (plus Solo and Rogue One) in the run up to this one and it reminded me how many dumb things have always been part of this mythos. I just can't get that worked up over the sillier things in this one (someone mentioned the Mcguffin dagger, which I had the exact same thoughts of and even laughed a bit when she lined it up with the wreckage of the Death Star). I'm glad Rey was tied to the larger universe in the end, not sure if that was always the plan or a big course correction from JJ. There was definitely a lot of hinting that Rey might be evil in the previous two movies, though, so I wouldn't be shocked if that was the general plan from the start. 

Mostly, I'm happy with it because it gives me a cultural touchstone with my nieces and nephews. This is their generation of Star Wars, and they love it. My nieces (identical twins with brown hair) are 4 years old and wear their Rey costumes all the time. My Nephew is 7 and runs around with his Kylo lightsaber making whooshing noises at Christmas. Who am I to crap all over that for Comic Book Guy reasons? 

I would love to see Favreau take the reins on the whole thing but that’s an elite director who would be pigeonholing himself into one thing. Don’t see that happening. 
The dude using most of his time lately remaking Disney movies is an elite director? 

I think he’s considered that generally, yes. I don’t know why he did that horrid lion king remake. 
Probably same reason he did Jungle Book and is doing Jungle Book 2.  

I guess I've never seen him referred to in that way as a director.  Done a couple really good  things, but seems to not mind being a Disney director for hire now.  

eta: ironically I think people seem to talk about Rian Johnson in higher regard.  

Probably same reason he did Jungle Book and is doing Jungle Book 2.  

I guess I've never seen him referred to in that way as a director.  Done a couple really good  things, but seems to not mind being a Disney director for hire now.  

eta: ironically I think people seem to talk about Rian Johnson in higher regard.  
I’ve seen him referred that way quite a few times but don’t care enough to belabor the point. 

I think Rian Johnson is far far superior. 

Harry Potter Deathly Hallows came out in 2010 and 2011. I still have 11 years for this bet to be followed through on.

On the flip side, Return of the King came out in 2003 and Amazon is getting ready to start filming a longer tv version. So, that is about 17 years later.

Terminator 2 came out in 1991 and too many crappy sequels where Cameron blew it up. So, that was 28 years later but was still remade, in a way.

There are remakes and there are movies that continue stories.

I am near 100% certain Harry Potter will never be remade.  I am near 100% certain that Harry Potter movies that continue the story will be made in the future bringing back the kids as older adults (same actors).

As a side note, the TV series Amazon is making will have little to do with the 'The Lord of the Rings' story, as told in the books/movies.  Amazon purchased the entire time line and looks to be telling a story set way before Lord of the Rings happens.

I think it’s all in the handling and presentation.  For instance, this “force healing” stuff was new but at least they established it and gave it some ground rules and paid it off.  

Actually, Be Kenobi force heard Luke in ANH after he had been beaten down by the sand people.

I was satisfied, generally. I think it was much better than the review score (come on, I haven't seen it but there's no way the third Jumanji movie is better than ROS), generally agree with the Rotten Tomatoes audience score of 86%.

There were definitely some wonky plot points that I could nitpick, but I re-watched all 8 movies (plus Solo and Rogue One) in the run up to this one and it reminded me how many dumb things have always been part of this mythos. I just can't get that worked up over the sillier things in this one (someone mentioned the Mcguffin dagger, which I had the exact same thoughts of and even laughed a bit when she lined it up with the wreckage of the Death Star). I'm glad Rey was tied to the larger universe in the end, not sure if that was always the plan or a big course correction from JJ. There was definitely a lot of hinting that Rey might be evil in the previous two movies, though, so I wouldn't be shocked if that was the general plan from the start. 

Mostly, I'm happy with it because it gives me a cultural touchstone with my nieces and nephews. This is their generation of Star Wars, and they love it. My nieces (identical twins with brown hair) are 4 years old and wear their Rey costumes all the time. My Nephew is 7 and runs around with his Kylo lightsaber making whooshing noises at Christmas. Who am I to crap all over that for Comic Book Guy reasons? 
My daughter is a young teenager and Ben Solo dying appears to be a major emotional moment for her and her friends. Reminds me of all the girls that went back to see Titanic a million times.  I guarantee they will all go see it 5-6 times in the theater.  I’ll probably go 3 myself.

I also totally agree the dagger was the corniest thing.

Also in 1000000% agreement about the previous 10 movies. We rewatched them all.  All are very corny and the first 3 become more dated every year. 

I love this film and while it’s easy to find flaws, we tend to hold this franchise to a standard we don’t hold other similar franchises to (avengers endgame anyone).  

All of this is pointless.  Disney will focus the next 9 movie anthology about baby Yoda just being a cute badass driving ships badly, force choking hotties, rolling around in his floating pod from star system to star system and doing various adorable poses.

The amazon version isn’t a remake. 

There is zero chance Harry Potter or the Star Wars films get remade. 

The amazon version isn’t a remake. 

There is zero chance Harry Potter or the Star Wars films get remade. 
Agreed. It is absolutely silly when Super fans call for a ####### remake. Game of Thrones, Harry Potter, Star Wars. I mean, if you’re so damned talented and have such great ideas, strike out on your own and write a script. No? Ok, nerd boy then watch the movies, [or not] and quit your whining.

I saw the movie with my daughter and we both liked it alot. 

Not sure why they had to kill off Kylo other than doing the whole redemption angle like Vader. The spawn of a Skywalker and a Palapitine? That would be a badass to beat all other badasses.

I saw the movie with my daughter and we both liked it alot. 

Not sure why they had to kill off Kylo other than doing the whole redemption angle like Vader. The spawn of a Skywalker and a Palapitine? That would be a badass to beat all other badasses.
I actually feel that was the best option for him, because honestly, how would Anakin or Ben Solo have reentered galactic society after all the stuff they did in the name of the dark side? It's an interesting idea, though, but I don't think they would have adequately addressed it in the time they had left.

i like the dagger because it was like the piece of eight from goonies and anytime that star wars goes full on goonies you know it is going to be good i like to think that kylo was sort of like data take that to the bank brohans 

Saw it today.  Very nice ending to the story.  Felt rushed a bit.....but other parts, which I thought would have been bad, were actually pretty cool.  Count me as one who, after seeing this, thought using the Emperor was a good choice.  

i like the dagger because it was like the piece of eight from goonies and anytime that star wars goes full on goonies you know it is going to be good i like to think that kylo was sort of like data take that to the bank brohans 
Oh #### - now we know how he survived getting force thrown down the crevice.  LINK

• Smile
Reactions: SWC
Enjoyed it. Especially since I went in knowing nothing. I did see someone wrote an article calling it the worst star wars movie ever. Glad I didnt read the article and glad it was not true. 

May the Force be with you. 

There was one thing that shuked me more than whatever Finn had to tell Rey

Who were the minions in the Sith cave. 

Clones?

Since I am accused of being too negative, I will start out with the positive:

1.  I really liked some of the battle sequences.  I also really liked the evolution using the force in the battles and the way they incorporated that into it, like being able to pass objects.  

2.  The movie was fun, and no matter how old and cynical I get the visual of the Falcon and X-wing fighters gets me every time.  

3.  There were some cool new places - especially the weird ### place Palpatine was chilling at and I liked the ocean world the crashed Death Star was on.  

4.  I like Abrams' humor better than Johnson's.    Found myself laughing a few times, and that's much better than mamma jokes and prank calls that were in Ep8.  

For me the main negative is still probably less about the individual movies and more about them flowing together.  I also thought by the 3rd movie it would be more about the new characters and doing interesting things with them, but it still felt like they were hammering the old guard a lot and hitting a lot of Return of the Jedi beats.  

That makes some sense but Wouldn’t she know?
In theory.  Throughout the series it's been kinda sketchy when force people can sense each other and when they cant.  

I just didn't get romantic love from them I guess.  (I didn't from Rey and Ben either, so what do I know?) 

Users who are viewing this thread