What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Brandon taubman (1 Viewer)

pantherclub

Footballguy
Pretend I am a 6th grader and could someone tell me what the big deal is and why he lost his job?   I see he celebrated in front of female reporters about an alleged abuser.   I don’t follow baseball but this is front page on all the news sites and the details are scarce.   

Pretend I am a 6th grader and could someone tell me what the big deal is and why he lost his job?   I see he celebrated in front of female reporters about an alleged abuser.   I don’t follow baseball but this is front page on all the news sites and the details are scarce.   
I know nothing of this person or story, but without any further info the bolded would probably be why

WASHINGTON -- The Houston Astros fired assistant GM Brandon Taubman on Thursday after discovering that he lied to them about his expletive-filled tirade towards a group of female reporters after their American League pennant-clinching celebration.

“Our initial investigation led us to believe that Brandon Taubman’s inappropriate comments were not directed toward any reporter,’’ the Astros said in a statement. “We were wrong. We sincerely apologize to Stephanie Apstein, Sports Illustrated and to all individuals who witnessed this incident or were offended by the inappropriate conduct.  The Astros in no way intended to minimize the issues related to domestic violence. 

“Our initial belief was based on witness statements about the incident.  Subsequent interviews have revealed that Taubman’s inappropriate comments were, in fact, directed toward one or more reporters. Accordingly, we have terminated Brandon Taubman’s employment with the Houston Astros. His conduct does not reflect the values of our organization and we believe this is the most appropriate course of action.’’

Astros were kind of ##### themselves in the aftermath of the incident - essentially publicly calling the reporter's integrity into question.

On Saturday night, after the Astros walked off on the Yankees to win the AL pennant, the Houston players and front office were deservedly celebrating wildly in the locker room. Amidst the chaos, assistant general manager Brandon Taubman turned to three female reporters–one of whom was wearing a purple domestic violence awareness bracelet–and repeatedly exclaimed, “Thank God we got Osuna! I’m so f– glad we got Osuna!” Roberto Osuna is Houston’s closer and is generally regarded as one of the best in the game. In 66 appearances this season, he pitched to a 2.63 ERA and a league-best 38 saves.  

In May 2018, Osuna, then a member of the Blue Jays, was arrested by Toronto police after he allegedly assaulted the mother of his 3-year-old child. The charges were eventually dropped after the victim refused to return to Toronto and testify, but in June, he was suspended by MLB for 75 games in violation of its domestic abuse policy. A month later, the Astros traded for him. 

In other words, Houston has already shown a repulsive readiness to turn a blind eye. Taubman’s comments were awful enough, but the front office’s response in the following days was even more disturbing. 

The following day, the Astros released a statement claiming that the story was “fabricated” and “misleading and completely irresponsible”–as if Houston is in a place to judge what is irresponsible. Instead, Houston claimed that the comments “had everything to do with the game situation and nothing else.” 

I’m sorry, what? Perhaps this rationalization would make some sense if Osuna had just finished some spectacular nine-out save performance. No, he had actually done quite the opposite, surrendering a game-tying two-run home run in the ninth. In other words, he had failed to do the one job he was expected to do. And Taubman was celebrating the “game situation?” 

But the front office took it one step further by saying that the story was an “attempt to fabricate a story where one does not exist.” After the statement was released, several other reporters who witnessed the outburst corroborated the story. In a world where domestic violence victims often don’t report the crimes at the fear of repercussions or not being believed, the Houston front office’s first reaction was to question the validity of the reporter’s story. 

OKOKOK. Everything i've been saying on these boards has been wrong. I just want to thank this lovely young man for proving to me that the human personality is not rage-based and people living the dream don't actually sabotage themselves merely because of a dank closet of unresolved fury from youthful issues buried deep in their psyches making them the emotional equivalent of an open wound. Phew, that's a relief!

oof

Astros GM Jeff Luhnow was asked whether he had personally reached out to @stephapstein to apologize.

Luhnow said he’s been busy and hasn’t had the time.

Stephanie was sitting in the room.

Was "Thank God we got Osuna! I’m so f– glad we got Osuna!” the only thing he said?
As far as I know - yes.

But it was on the heels of Osuna nearly losing the game - giving up two runs in the top of the 9th, before Astros rallied in the bottom of the 9th.

And, it was directed specifically at the female reporters.

(I.e. there was no reason to be celebrating Osuna in that spot, and no reason to do it in the faces of the female reporters.  He was just being a ####.)

Astros were kind of ##### themselves in the aftermath of the incident - essentially publicly calling the reporter's integrity into question.

On Saturday night, after the Astros walked off on the Yankees to win the AL pennant, the Houston players and front office were deservedly celebrating wildly in the locker room. Amidst the chaos, assistant general manager Brandon Taubman turned to three female reporters–one of whom was wearing a purple domestic violence awareness bracelet–and repeatedly exclaimed, “Thank God we got Osuna! I’m so f– glad we got Osuna!” Roberto Osuna is Houston’s closer and is generally regarded as one of the best in the game. In 66 appearances this season, he pitched to a 2.63 ERA and a league-best 38 saves.  

In May 2018, Osuna, then a member of the Blue Jays, was arrested by Toronto police after he allegedly assaulted the mother of his 3-year-old child. The charges were eventually dropped after the victim refused to return to Toronto and testify, but in June, he was suspended by MLB for 75 games in violation of its domestic abuse policy. A month later, the Astros traded for him. 

In other words, Houston has already shown a repulsive readiness to turn a blind eye. Taubman’s comments were awful enough, but the front office’s response in the following days was even more disturbing. 

The following day, the Astros released a statement claiming that the story was “fabricated” and “misleading and completely irresponsible”–as if Houston is in a place to judge what is irresponsible. Instead, Houston claimed that the comments “had everything to do with the game situation and nothing else.” 

I’m sorry, what? Perhaps this rationalization would make some sense if Osuna had just finished some spectacular nine-out save performance. No, he had actually done quite the opposite, surrendering a game-tying two-run home run in the ninth. In other words, he had failed to do the one job he was expected to do. And Taubman was celebrating the “game situation?” 

But the front office took it one step further by saying that the story was an “attempt to fabricate a story where one does not exist.” After the statement was released, several other reporters who witnessed the outburst corroborated the story. In a world where domestic violence victims often don’t report the crimes at the fear of repercussions or not being believed, the Houston front office’s first reaction was to question the validity of the reporter’s story. 
What a turd.

As far as I know - yes.

But it was on the heels of Osuna nearly losing the game - giving up two runs in the top of the 9th, before Astros rallied in the bottom of the 9th.

(I.e. there was no reason to be celebrating Osuna in that spot, and no reason to do it in the faces of the female reporters.  He was just being a ####.)
Makes a lot more sense in this context.

My first thought was I probably said the same thing about Aroldis Chapman back in 2016 for the Cubs. I just didnt direct it at anyone and he was awesome that world series. 

Was "Thank God we got Osuna! I’m so f– glad we got Osuna!” the only thing he said?
It's not about what he said, and it's not about who he said it to.

It's about what he said to management after the fact.

And, apparently, he lied to management.

Lying to management gets you fired, every time.

It's not about what he said, and it's not about who he said it to.

It's about what he said to management after the fact.

And, apparently, he lied to management.

Lying to management gets you fired, every time.
I think its more basic than that - know your worth to your company.

Taubman - an assistant GM - wasn't worth the bad PR and headaches.  So he was fired.

And, as you can see - even with that the Astros really are not doing a good job cleaning up the mess...

As far as I know - yes.

This is a strange story for sure.    Was he taunting the girls or just happy they won?   So weird.   

Makes a lot more sense in this context.

My first thought was I probably said the same thing about Aroldis Chapman back in 2016 for the Cubs. I just didnt direct it at anyone and he was awesome that world series. 
As I understand it the female reporters he was shouting at were wearing domestic violence awareness paraphernalia. 

Feels like there is more to the story then some dude yelling he is happy about a player.  
I would imagine they had previously asked him if he was glad they’d taken the heat and gotten a domestic violence abuser who was giving up the game during the 9th inning. 

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as I know - yes.

Why did Taubman do this, makes no sense? Was there a reason given besides being a jackass . He was on the fast track to GMing his own team

Why did Taubman do this, makes no sense? Was there a reason given besides being a jackass . He was on the fast track to GMing his own team
I saw on Twitter that the female reporter with the purple bracelet used to tweet out domestic violence hotline info every time the Astros put Osuna in the game, and Taubman didn't like that.

He's still a jackass, but that at least gives a little more context.

Spartans Rule said:
I saw on Twitter that the female reporter with the purple bracelet used to tweet out domestic violence hotline info every time the Astros put Osuna in the game, and Taubman didn't like that.

He's still a jackass, but that at least gives a little more context.
That ties things together a bit.  He was probably drunk and thought he had a shot to make her look bad.  

Astros Suck at PR:

Ben Strauss@benjstrauss· 30m

Stephanie Apstein met with Jeff Luhnow in the dugout just now. She asked for a retraction to the team’s first statement suggesting she fabricated her story. He didn’t commit to issuing one.

Users who are viewing this thread