What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB J.K. Dobbins, Free Agent (8 Viewers)

Thinly veiled WDIS post, but is Dobbins a better start vs the Jags than guys like Carson or Montgomery? Apologies for the WDIS nature but it may be helpful establishing his value at this point of the season.

egofailure said:
It would take some stones, but I could see owners winning their playoff matchup this week with both Edwards and Dobbins in their starting lineup. 
I know. I have both. I have Chubb who is no doubt. Then I have Drake. Tougher matchup, guaranteed touches. Hard to leave him out as he gets goal line plunges. Kyler can steal but not as much as Lamar. Balt can have 5 TD’s on the ground though. 

So frustrating that Lamar never looks to the flats to see if RB is open. He only looks at middle of field, and if nothing is open then he takes off for a QB run. Does Lamar not get any coaching ?
I think it would actually open their offense up quite a bit if he would do this more, and if they would call (a lot) more screens and flares and such. 

So frustrating that Lamar never looks to the flats to see if RB is open. He only looks at middle of field, and if nothing is open then he takes off for a QB run. Does Lamar not get any coaching ?
In an improvised play it's probably better for Lamar to just keep it in the open field and pick up what he can.  He is likely a better runner with the ball than who he is dumping it off too.  The risk is injury to Lamar and I am sure the coaching staff would prefer to lower that risk wherever possible.  

Now calling more screens and planned short passes in the flat is probably something that would benefit the team as a whole and open up some things if they can run them properly. 

I think it would actually open their offense up quite a bit if he would do this more, and if they would call (a lot) more screens and flares and such. 
I agree especially as defenses start to/continue to crowd the middle of the field. Dobbins flaring out wide could create issues for that defensive setup. However you also have teams playing a lot of zone to keep eyes on Lamar so maybe the corner is staying in the flat. I’ve mentioned this before, I’m not sure the screen game works. You have a LB or 2 already keeping eyes on Lamar and a lot of zone being played as well keeping eyes in the backfield. 

Have to decide between Dobbins, Jacobs and Wilson and don’t trust any of them. I need upside so likely going with Dobbins in the hope he breaks off a couple big runs for TD. Jacobs on a short week coming off injury and not performing for several weeks feels like a big MEH so I’m hoping this is JK’s week. 

Had to start Agholar last night and Dobbins in the flex in case Juilio didnt play. Julio officially out so Dobbins stays in- hope he does something!

BRANDON AIYUK A WR1 WITH UPSIDE VS. DALLAS

Excerpt:

Start of the Week: J.K. Dobbins vs. Jaguars -- The Ravens have reduced their three-man RBBC to a two-man one, featuring Dobbins and Gus Edwards. Mark Ingram played one snap and didn’t touch the ball in Week 14. Dobbins was in on 62% of the snaps and handled double-digit carries for the third straight game and has scored in three straight contests. Edwards has maintained his 33% role and remains a weekly TD threat after scoring twice in the Monday night thriller against the Browns. Neither is a pass-game factor. With the Jaguars on deck, Dobbins has RB1 upside while Edwards is a passable FLEX. The Jaguars are 30th in fantasy points allowed to running backs, 24th in run-defense DVOA, and fresh off getting creamed for 26-215-2 by Derrick Henry in Week 14. Baltimore runs the ball at the NFL’s highest clip, and this sets up as an extremely run-friendly script with the Ravens as 13-point favorites.

J.K. Dobbins rushed 14 times for 64 yards and a touchdown in the Ravens' Week 15 win against the Jaguars, adding a catch for 17 yards. 

With Mark Ingram a healthy scratch, Dobbins was once again the primary ball carrier. He walked in for a first half touchdown on one of the many Baltimore scoring drives against a lackluster Jacksonville defense. Gus Edwards had nine rushes against the Jags. Dobbins looks unlikely to see a 20-plus carry workload in the season's waning weeks, making him more of a floor play than a high ceiling option. Dobbins will be a safe RB2 option in Week 16 against the Giants. 

RELATED: 

Gus Edwards

Dec 20, 2020, 4:52 PM ET

They had some very encouraging designed runs for him today. Handing it to him while he was in motion at full speed rather than plugging him up the middle like they do with Edwards. Nice to see the are figuring ways to take advantage of his strengths. 4-5 more touches a game and he enters RB1 land. 

925 total yards with 9 TDs.  6.0 yards per carry.

Hope you have him on your Dynasty/Keeper teams.  

925 total yards with 9 TDs.  6.0 yards per carry.

Hope you have him on your Dynasty/Keeper teams.  
He’s making my decision tougher....can you keep him for a 4th if you only get one and the other option is James Robinson for an 8th? Can’t keep him can I?

J.K. Dobbins has 13 rushes for 160 yards and two touchdowns in the Ravens' Week 17 win over the Bengals. 

Dobbins went off against a Bengals defense that didn't look all that interested in tackling in Week 17. He blew by defenders on a 72-yard touchdown in the fourth quarter, after Lamar Jackson had been pulled in the blowout victory. Dobbins, who had one more carry than Gus Edwards against the Bengals, remains the No. 1 running back in the Baltimore backfield, and clearly the most explosive. The rookie will be heavily involved in the Ravens offense if they can manage to keep game script on their side.

- Rotoworld

Dobbins had 805 yards on 134 rushes  (6 yards per carry)  24 receptions for 120 yards

Robinson has 1,070 yards on 240 rushes (4.5 yards per carry)  60 receptions for 344 yards  - with one game to go

Robinson for an 8th is better value - but I expect Dobbins to have better numbers than Robinson next season.

Dobbins had 805 yards on 134 rushes  (6 yards per carry)  24 receptions for 120 yards

Robinson has 1,070 yards on 240 rushes (4.5 yards per carry)  60 receptions for 344 yards  - with one game to go

Robinson for an 8th is better value - but I expect Dobbins to have better numbers than Robinson next season.
I love me some Dobbins too, great points but does Lawrence open up that offense significantly as well you have to consider while Lamar took a step back this year. 

He’s making my decision tougher....can you keep him for a 4th if you only get one and the other option is James Robinson for an 8th? Can’t keep him can I?
Hopefully you don't have to make the decision anytime soon.  

I've been sky high on Dobbins and got him in 2/3 Dynasty leagues and my 1 keeper league.  I think he'll fly up draft boards as the Baltimore backfield clears up.  He's been hyper efficient and has to be in line for a substantially larger workload next season.  I think he'll be an RB1.  

Robinson had a helluva season, but I'm concerned they'll have some help next season.  

Hopefully you don't have to make the decision anytime soon.  

I've been sky high on Dobbins and got him in 2/3 Dynasty leagues and my 1 keeper league.  I think he'll fly up draft boards as the Baltimore backfield clears up.  He's been hyper efficient and has to be in line for a substantially larger workload next season.  I think he'll be an RB1.  

Robinson had a helluva season, but I'm concerned they'll have some help next season.  
Great points, no decision anytime soon. I agree I think Dobbins blows up with Ingram gone and being the lead back. 

J.K. Dobbins rushed nine times for 43 yards and a touchdown, adding a reception for -6 yards in the Ravens' Wild Card win over the Titans.

He still split the running work evenly with Gus Edwards, who saw eight carries. On top of that, FB Patrick Ricard was targeted four times. Dobbins has made a living on efficiency and touchdown volume when successful this year. If he doesn't find the end zone, his share of the running back carries and lack of usage as a receiver is often not enough for him to post a notable fantasy game. With just eight teams remaining next week, he'll be a popular upside option in DFS.

- Rotoworld

J.K. Dobbins rushed 10 times for 42 yards and caught 3-of-5 passes for 51 yards in the Ravens' Division Round loss to the Bills.

Dobbins was never able to break out of the Ravens' running back by committee despite averaging 6.0 yards per carry. He reached 100 rushing yards just twice and only averaged 12.1 carries in the nine games after the bye. The Ravens are likely to part ways with Mark Ingram this offseason, so Dobbins' 2021 box scores should be improved even if Gus Edwards hangs around as a restricted free agent. Lamar Jackson's lack of history targeting running backs and Dobbins' questionable hands [two drops in the game] (18 receptions) leave his fantasy ceiling tied to rushing production (805-9 on 134 carries). That's fine in standard scoring; less than ideal in PPR. Dobbins will project for 1,000 or more yards in 2021 as the Ravens' 1A in a potential two-back committee.

- Rotoworld

As long as Gus Edwards is there and playing well it will cap Dobbins' value.
Lack of receptions too. Will Dobbins ever have 40+ catches with Jackson at QB? Henry and Chubb can get away with it, because they are the 2 best runners in the league, will Dobbins ever be on that level?

I get the Gus Edwards concern at this point, but I think Dobbins is going to have the kind of year that makes us look back and say “I can’t believe we were worried about Gus Edwards.”

satch said:
I get the Gus Edwards concern at this point, but I think Dobbins is going to have the kind of year that makes us look back and say “I can’t believe we were worried about Gus Edwards.”
Wasn’t the same thing entertained this time last year?  Of course that was premature.

satch said:
Gus Edwards is really good in the role they use him in.  He runs hard, downhill and hits the hole quick on those dive plays.  Lamar keeps the DE honest and Gus gets through quickly.  I don't see Dobbins in that role as much so I think Baltimore will continue with the time share as they did last year as the season went on.  It keeps everyone fresh and complimentary.  Dobbins is the guy I prefer obviously for fantasy but Gus isn't going to go away. 

satch said:
My thoughts exactly. Quite possibly the safest RB2 out there. Top RB on the best running attack in football. Add in any sort of reception totals and he’s threatening the top 5 RBs. 

1200 yards rushing 

250 receiving 

12 TDs 

Wasn’t the same thing entertained this time last year?  Of course that was premature.
To a lesser extent, I suppose. But he was a rookie with no training camp or preseason. Still, as a rookie in a timeshare he averaged 6.0 ypc, with 9 TDs, and 8 runs of 20+ yards. And looked awesome doing it.

Dobbins enters 2021 as the clear lead back with a year of experience in a now-familiar system. If we safely assume he will improve in year two, with more volume, I think we should expect a pretty great season from JK.

Gus Edwards is really good in the role they use him in.  He runs hard, downhill and hits the hole quick on those dive plays.  Lamar keeps the DE honest and Gus gets through quickly.  I don't see Dobbins in that role as much so I think Baltimore will continue with the time share as they did last year as the season went on.  It keeps everyone fresh and complimentary.  Dobbins is the guy I prefer obviously for fantasy but Gus isn't going to go away. 
Edwards keeping his role, and Dobbins becoming a star aren’t mutually exclusive imo.

I agree...until December anyway. If both players get to that point healthy and Dobbins has taken the step up I expect him to then I think they alter usage at that point and lean more on JK. I think a greater variable in this situation is if the passing game develops.

I have been impressed with him every time I see them play. It really is a change of pace how Edwards runs and it does seem to be a response to how defenses are playing them some times. I have seen the Ravens offense struggling and then Edwards pops a big run or two and give them a spark they can work off of.

No question Dobbins is the better overall RB and should get more opportunity in his 2nd season, but I think Gus role of 130-140 rushing attempts he has had the last 3 seasons remains that way.

Last edited by a moderator:
From what I saw last year, he's a more explosive Ahmad Bradshaw. He has a chance to win a rushing title. Close to an elite back but the situation is so good he will produce like one.

Nothing wrong with those hands either. Could be in for a big year.

From what I saw last year, he's a more explosive Ahmad Bradshaw. He has a chance to win a rushing title. Close to an elite back but the situation is so good he will produce like one.

Nothing wrong with those hands either. Could be in for a big year.
I like this comparison a lot. Give Bradshaw some after burners and better health and you have Dobbins.

I am not ready to say Dobbins has as good of vision or is as skilled as Bradshaw was, because those traits really stood out with him due to the lack of overall athleticism he had compared to his peers. Bradshaw did have a good 3 cone time but thats about it.

That's great, but they also need to work on the play calling to get him passes because they aren't going to come from check downs from a guy who runs as much as Lamar.

That's great, but they also need to work on the play calling to get him passes because they aren't going to come from check downs from a guy who runs as much as Lamar.
Yeah it would be nice if they emphasized that more. FWIW when I had Ingram in 2019 he had more designed targets than you might think. But yeah those dumpoffs just aren't there. 

However, in upside land, maybe Dobbins breaks a couple long screens early in the season and it becomes a thing. 

I think Edwards and the coaching staff put a cap on his upside.  I think he'll see ~225 rushes, and he'll be super efficient.  But if we're talking re-draft and he's going in the 2nd round--I'm suddenly iffy.  

I think Edwards and the coaching staff put a cap on his upside.  I think he'll see ~225 rushes, and he'll be super efficient.  But if we're talking re-draft and he's going in the 2nd round--I'm suddenly iffy.  
He has averaged 130 rushing attempts the last 3 seasons. That is 8 per game so with the extra game 138.

Unless you think his workload will increase because of the new contract and departure of Ingram?

I was thinking his workload would stay the same but that Dobbins opportunity would increase as no Ingram and maybe some Justice Hill or something sprinkled in as well but most of Ingrams work going to Dobbins.

Users who are viewing this thread