What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB J.K. Dobbins, LAC (4 Viewers)

Ingram caught 26 balls and had 5 receiving TDs last year, so I think RB passes are perhaps more of the Ravens redzone package than people realize.  Only another 15 receptions to Edwards and Hill, but I think it's fair to pencil Dobbins in for ~30/year once Ingram is out of the picture. The TD upside in this offense is absurd and I'm still surprised I was able to get him. I have no doubt that his ceiling is capped this year, but that might change by the time the fantasy playoffs roll around. Happens with rookie RBs all the time. But with the TD upside I think he will be startable even with Ingram having a role. I think it's fair to say Edwards and Hill will be mostly afterthoughts.
I am not sure about Gus Edwards role being reduced. He is a good blocker and that is an important piece of this spread option offense. I think Justice Hill is a terrific player but he likely doesn't do much now.

Mike Clays projections  for the Ravens 2020 was a wet blanket to me as far as how much opportunity is available for Dubbins year one.

I can't argue with his logic that much, he has the Ravens passing the ball a bit more and running the ball a bit less, then he takes a 30-40 rushing attempt slice from Ingram, Edwards and Hill which gets him to 91 rushing attempts for Dobbins. 

I do feel that some way some how Dobins does more than that in 2020, but if he does I think those opportunities are coming from Ingram more than Edwards.

Maybe Clay and I are both wrong about that though and Edwards only gets like 40-50 rushing attempts. That does seem possible. I just see Edwards playing a lot of snaps still, and so maybe a reduced but similar number of opportunities.

ets - FWIW the rookie season is the least productive season of a RB first 6 years in the league on average.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not sure about Gus Edwards role being reduced. He is a good blocker and that is an important piece of this spread option offense. I think Justice Hill is a terrific player but he likely doesn't do much now.

Mike Clays projections  for the Ravens 2020 was a wet blanket to me as far as how much opportunity is available for Dubbins year one.

I can't argue with his logic that much, he has the Ravens passing the ball a bit more and running the ball a bit less, then he takes a 30-40 rushing attempt slice from Ingram, Edwards and Hill which gets him to 91 rushing attempts for Dobbins. 

I do feel that some way some how Dobins does more than that in 2020, but if he does I think those opportunities are coming from Ingram more than Edwards.

Maybe Clay and I are both wrong about that though and Edwards only gets like 40-50 rushing attempts. That does seem possible. I just see Edwards playing a lot of snaps still, and so maybe a reduced but similar number of opportunities.

ets - FWIW the rookie season is the least productive season of a RB first 6 years in the league on average.
Weird I keep winning titles with guys like Kamara, Hunt, Barkley, Sanders, Jacobs and such. The dice roll is that by the time you get to the fantasy playoffs hopefully their role will have grown, weighed against the need to compete strong to start the season. I love pairing a proven stud at RB1 with like 1 or 2 rookie RBs with upside. 

I just don't see Edwards as a threat, and think that Dobbins will take from all the other RBs. I would envision something like 45% Ingram, 35% Dobbins, 10% Edwards and 10% Hill if those guys aren't replaced. To start the season, but by the fantasy playoffs it will be more Dobbins. Assuming he isn't a bust. But I wouldn't imagine that even if Dobbins stepped ahead, that it would be much more than 50%. But I will take that in today's RB landscape all day long.

**FWIW the rookie season is the least productive season of a RB first 6 years in the league on average.**

I've seen that before, but I'd like to see the splits for backs drafted in the top 3 rounds vs those not, and I'd like to see the rookie season(s) split at midseason. 

All that said it would still make sense that if a RB does it in their rookie year, that their next season would be even better, so then combine that with the backs that miss, and it makes a lot of mathematical sense to say that their 1st year is their worst, but is that looking deep enough? 

I'll say this, though. The strategy of drafting rookie RBs in redraft has maybe grown in the last few years. It used to be a little easier and cheaper to get these guys, now I think the pendulum is starting to swing a little. But I still love these guys. Dobbins mid 4th of redraft? Depends on my board and first 3 rounds but it seems good to me.

Taylor and CEH are going 2nd round.

Weird I keep winning titles with guys like Kamara, Hunt, Barkley, Sanders, Jacobs and such. The dice roll is that by the time you get to the fantasy playoffs hopefully their role will have grown, weighed against the need to compete strong to start the season. I love pairing a proven stud at RB1 with like 1 or 2 rookie RBs with upside. 

I just don't see Edwards as a threat, and think that Dobbins will take from all the other RBs. I would envision something like 45% Ingram, 35% Dobbins, 10% Edwards and 10% Hill if those guys aren't replaced. To start the season, but by the fantasy playoffs it will be more Dobbins. Assuming he isn't a bust. But I wouldn't imagine that even if Dobbins stepped ahead, that it would be much more than 50%. But I will take that in today's RB landscape all day long.
Yeah that is not to say that rookie RB do not have good seasons, they do. Just that on average their rookie season is the lowest scoring season of the first 6 years of their careers, That is for RB who had at least one good fantasy season.

I was looking at snap counts for the Ravens RB.

Mark Ingram    RB    504    45.61%
Gus Edwards    RB    397    35.93%

Patrick Ricard    FB    342    30.95%    
Justice Hill    RB    187    16.92%    

Its possible I am over estimating the importance of Edwards as a blocker because they also used Patrick Ricard as a FB for a similar number of snaps. Ricard is a converted defensive lineman. So maybe he is in there for blocking still, but they do not use Gus as much.

Ravens GM Eric DeCosta believes it would have been "irresponsible" for the team to not select RB J.K. Dobbins in the second round since he carried a round one grade on Baltimore's board.

"My philosophy is talent wins," DeCosta told Adam Schein. "If you have a running back who you think can be a dynamic player for you and you are a team who loves to run the football, to me it makes too much sense." The Ravens were in a class above the rest of the league running the football last season, averaging 206 yards as a team. The next closest franchise was the 49ers at 144 yards. Dobbins' immediate contribution might be split with Mark Ingram, but there seems to be a clear path to a second-year explosion in 2021.

SOURCE: Mad Dog Radio

May 4, 2020, 3:00 PM ET

**FWIW the rookie season is the least productive season of a RB first 6 years in the league on average.**

I've seen that before, but I'd like to see the splits for backs drafted in the top 3 rounds vs those not, and I'd like to see the rookie season(s) split at midseason. 

All that said it would still make sense that if a RB does it in their rookie year, that their next season would be even better, so then combine that with the backs that miss, and it makes a lot of mathematical sense to say that their 1st year is their worst, but is that looking deep enough? 
I believe it's actually the opposite, at least for 1st round rookie running backs. They perform the best while playing under their rookie contract. I don't know about all rookies but if memory serves me correctly going back to 2016 a rookie has finished in the top 5. Josh Jacobs came up short because of injury but at one point during the season he was ranked #3 in our league before he got injured.

Tex

Oh so you guys don't believe me?

Evidence

For all RB their average VBD is as follows per season in the league

4 .2

The first season is the lowest scoring on average of their first 6 seasons. There are multiple reasons for that such as rookie RB do not always start or play in all of the games. They get injured. They have to share time with a established starter their first season. They need to improve in pass protection.

For the players who were drafted in the top 13 picks these averages are different.

So for rookies selected this high the rookie season is their 2nd best scoring year on average.

Dobbins was selected with pick 55

The group that was drafted pick 47 to pick 73 had these numbers as the average

Dobbins is a 21 year old rookie and that group performed above the average for the first 6 seasons except for year 4.

As a raging OSU homer it is very clear to me - Carlos Hyde has never been able to hold Ingram's jock.
As that, what is your take on Dobbins as an RB prospect (not factoring in NFL landing spot)? The more I watch the more I like. He seems to possibly be the most complete back and has some explosiveness to his game. 

Is he a top notch handcuff this year? Obviously in dynasty and rookie drafts he'll be more eventually but in redraft, handcuff?

JK Dobbins' Presence on the Ravens Should Make the NFL's Best Rushing Attack Even Better

Excerpt:

What to Expect with the Ravens

The rich get richer as the Ravens -- who by all accounts had the top rushing attack in the NFL in 2019 -- get one of the draft's best pure runners. Last season behind a stout offensive line, both Mark Ingram and Gus Edwards ranked in the top 10 among all running back with at least 50 rush attempts in numberFire's Rushing Net Expected Points(NEP) per rush. Lamar Jackson, of course, is the most prolific rushing quarterback in the league, and now he has a full stable of available rushers in his backfield.

Dobbins gets to immediately jump into a snap competition with Ingram, where the rookie will look to compete for the starter's role, especially as Ingram plays the 2020 season at age 31. 

The Dobbins pick ensures that the Ravens will focus even more on the rushing game in 2020, continuing their trend from 2019. Baltimore led the NFL in rush attempts per game, average yards per carry, and total rushing yards per game. Not surprisingly, the Ravens ranked last in the NFL in pass attempts per game and ranked 27th in passing yards per contest. 

While it may take into midseason to reach this point, look for Dobbins' youth, bruising rushing style, and emerging presence in the passing game to allow him to compete with Ingram and Edwards on the depth chart. For redraft leagues in 2020, Dobbins will be an interesting mid-round selection, but in dynasty drafts, Dobbins is super appealing considering the run-heavy scheme he will play in.

Dr. BD said:
I thought you didn't like using historical trends to predict future performance ;)
I have no idea why you or anyone would think that.

I have been talking about this stuff for over 20 years now on this forum.

I won't derail. But there is another thread looking back on WR trends that I recall you thinking "nothing to see here." No matter. Thanks for presenting the information you presented here. That is interesting to consider for all RBs going forward
If I thought you were doing that correctly I wouldn't have criticized it.

I made several constructive suggestions to help you improve that study. If you have fixed the math now I think it can be pretty useful. It has already been done though by Shawn Seagle and so on back in 2014.

Good/Great prospect with nowhere to go for meaningful touches. He's sharing with Ingram and Edwards. He has a rushing QB that will steal rushing TDs and doesn't dump it down to RB much.  

He'll be good/great in 2 years when Ingrams contract is up. Until then you can't start him. 

Ravens GM Eric DeCosta said the team thinks second-round RB J.K. Dobbins is "a three-down back."

"We think he's a three-down back," DeCosta said. "He's been extremely durable. He's an outstanding fit for what we like to do." He also said he's learned that "you've got to have quality depth" at that position. It's the second time the Ravens' GM has touted 21-year-old Dobbins in the last 48 hours as the front office arguably views the Ohio State product as an immediate contributor. Mark Ingram is expected to stay involved in some capacity in a two-down role, but Dobbins' seamless transition into Baltimore's intuitive run-heavy scheme paints an optimistic picture for the rookie in year one under OC Greg Roman.

RELATED: 

Mark Ingram

SOURCE: Jamison Hensley on Twitter

May 6, 2020, 4:20 PM ET

Good/Great prospect with nowhere to go for meaningful touches. He's sharing with Ingram and Edwards. He has a rushing QB that will steal rushing TDs and doesn't dump it down to RB much.  

He'll be good/great in 2 years when Ingrams contract is up. Until then you can't start him. 
Agree to disagree. Baltimore was the top rushing team in the NFL last year and it was by a significant margin. They supported three rushers in the top 28 last year (yards rushing) and I think that it is highly likely that Dobbins can displace Edwards as soon as he proves himself as trustworthy in pass protection. He’s already a better pass catching option than Gus Edwards is and he will also be a better pass catching option than Mark Ingram is.

2019 NFL Rushing

Agree to disagree. Baltimore was the top rushing team in the NFL last year and it was by a significant margin. They supported three rushers in the top 28 last year (yards rushing) and I think that it is highly likely that Dobbins can displace Edwards as soon as he proves himself as trustworthy in pass protection. He’s already a better pass catching option than Gus Edwards is and he will also be a better pass catching option than Mark Ingram is.

2019 NFL Rushing
They just ran the ball 596 times that's enough for everyone to eat and get full.

Tex

2019 NFL Rushing
But Lamar doesn't really throw to his backs......they had 52 targets combined. That's a huge red flag. His ceiling for targets is super low.

Where did Ingram rank in your leagues, while sharing TDs and losing goalline TDs?

Where did Ingram rank in your leagues, while sharing TDs and losing goalline TDs?
Yeah but Mark Ingram is still there. Thats the other problem. 

He's basically the starting 3rd down back on a team that doesn't throw to their backs, has an established 1st/2nd down thumper, and the best running QB in the league. 

People that draft him are going to sit on him for 2 years until Ingram leaves.

But Lamar doesn't really throw to his backs......they had 52 targets combined. That's a huge red flag. His ceiling for targets is super low.
History tells us most QBs don’t run for a 1000 yards for multiple years. The organization will want Lamar to grow as a passer and not take as many hits. I think that evolution will lend to more yards for RBs whether it is on the ground or through the air.

History tells us most QBs don’t run for a 1000 yards for multiple years. The organization will want Lamar to grow as a passer and not take as many hits. I think that evolution will lend to more yards for RBs whether it is on the ground or through the air.
The game is changing but it's not going that way. It's moving more towards running QBs not away from them. 

So history tells us nothing here. 

It's a mirage guys. He is good but with very little opportunity unless Ingram gets hurt. 
If that is the case this year then he will be on the buy low radar. Why burn a 2nd rounder on an asset you have no intention of using over the next few years? He is much more complete back than Hill and will add an explosive factor to the running game that Ingram doesn’t have. He will see the field.

The game is changing but it's not going that way. It's moving more towards running QBs not away from them. 

So history tells us nothing here. 
In Baltimore last year maybe, don’t see that as a trend around the league. Pass catching backs are a nightmare for defenses. Running quarterbacks don’t last, that is the historical trend.

Spotrac shows BAL has an easy “out” after this year — it’s obviously not a guarantee but Ingram may very well be gone after this season.

If that is the case this year then he will be on the buy low radar. Why burn a 2nd rounder on an asset you have no intention of using over the next few years? He is much more complete back than Hill and will add an explosive factor to the running game that Ingram doesn’t have. He will see the field.
Yeah he's going to get 5-10 carries a game and 1 target a game. 

Yeah but Mark Ingram is still there. Thats the other problem. 

He's basically the starting 3rd down back on a team that doesn't throw to their backs, has an established 1st/2nd down thumper, and the best running QB in the league. 

• Ingram is already old. He might be 1B this year.  Backs his age have a less than awesome track record. Dobbins taking the lead spot from him is compltely within the range of outcomes. 
  • You list Gus Edwards as a negative, as in: Ravens have some carries carved out for Edwards, so Dobbins will have to look elsewhere. I say LOL to that.  Every team has three RBs, Edwards isn't Todd Gurley over here. 
  • Ingram has two years left on his deal. The most likely outcome is Ingram is a cap casualty after this year, and the Ravens replacing him with someone less talented than Dobbins.  Paying a 31-year old back 6.3 million seem likely to you?
  • Were you in the McCaffrey threads, telling all of us that Cam wasn't accurate enough to use CMC correctly? 

• Ingram is already old. He might be 1B this year.  Backs his age have a less than awesome track record. Dobbins taking the lead spot from him is compltely within the range of outcomes. 
  • You list Gus Edwards as a negative, as in: Ravens have some carries carved out for Edwards, so Dobbins will have to look elsewhere. I say LOL to that.  Every team has three RBs, Edwards isn't Todd Gurley over here. 
  • Ingram has two years left on his deal. The most likely outcome is Ingram is a cap casualty after this year, and the Ravens replacing him with someone less talented than Dobbins.  Paying a 31-year old back 6.3 million seem likely to you?
  • Were you in the McCaffrey threads, telling all of us that Cam wasn't accurate enough to use CMC correctly? 
That's some impressive mental gymnastics. The opportunity isn't there this year and decent chance Ingram there next year and you are stuck holding Dobbins for 2 years before you can start him. That's an eternity in FF. 

Facts

They don't throw to their RB. 

Jackson is the most dynamic rushing QB the league has ever seen. 

They have a older established RB ahead of Dobbins and another RB that isn't nothing there too.

Dobbins is a rookie. 

All I'm saying is that's not super awesome in my book even though I like Dobbins I'm shying away. 

That's some impressive mental gymnastics. The opportunity isn't there this year and decent chance Ingram there next year and you are stuck holding Dobbins for 2 years before you can start him. That's an eternity in FF. 

Facts

They don't throw to their RB. 

Jackson is the most dynamic rushing QB the league has ever seen. 

They have a older established RB ahead of Dobbins and another RB that isn't nothing there too.

Dobbins is a rookie. 

All I'm saying is that's not super awesome in my book even though I like Dobbins I'm shying away. 
You, ummmm, you avoid rookie RBs a lot, do ya?

How's that working out?

You, ummmm, you avoid rookie RBs a lot, do ya?

How's that working out?
Lol I avoid situations like this unless I see special. I see good. Not special. 

They threw the ball to their RB like 3 times a game bro. I mean come on. They had a great offense last year that destroyed people. They are going to change that all up? Why? For a rookie RB? They were the SB favorite at the end of the regular season. Why would they change it all up?

It's more likely the offense stays the same and they pepper Dobbins in with 5-10 carries and 1.5 ish target(s) a game. 

In regards to my concern about Gus Edwards still being involved in the offense, it comes from me thinking about triple option plays where there are two RB on the field at the same time.

According to this the Ravens only had 2 RB on the field 13% of their plays. I was thinking it may have been more than that.

So Edwards was used as a traditional RB for most of his plays rather than what I was thinking of as a FB for their read option.

So based on this I'm comfortable giving 50 more Edwards carries to Dobbins than Clay did.

It seems that several solid evaluators (on this board and elsewhere) view Dobbins as a good but not special athlete. To me he just popped off the screen in college, so I've been a little surprised at that. Its tough to say for sure because we have a significant gap in formal athletic testing between his SPARQ testing coming out of HS (where he measured at the top of the incoming class) and pre-draft evaluations since he sat out the combine drills and OSU's pro day was cancelled due to COVID-19. To be clear, I'm not holding up SPARQ as anything definitive but he came into CFB with an elite athletic profile and backed it up with great production, especially in his freshman and junior years (last year especially he just shredded top competition). 

It seems that several solid evaluators (on this board and elsewhere) view Dobbins as a good but not special athlete. To me he just popped off the screen in college, so I've been a little surprised at that. Its tough to say for sure because we have a significant gap in formal athletic testing between his SPARQ testing coming out of HS (where he measured at the top of the incoming class) and pre-draft evaluations since he sat out the combine drills and OSU's pro day was cancelled due to COVID-19. To be clear, I'm not holding up SPARQ as anything definitive but he came into CFB with an elite athletic profile and backed it up with great production, especially in his freshman and junior years (last year especially he just shredded top competition). 
I thought you were posting this one: https://247sports.com/Player/JK-Dobbins-37847/

Another

https://twitter.com/TheOpening/status/751488254562537472?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^751488254562537472&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.rotoviz.com%2F2020%2F01%2Fj-k-dobbins-looks-like-a-future-rb1-a-2020-nfl-draft-prospect-profile%2F

Tex

• Smile
Reactions: DAG
Eric DeCosta, you have any thoughts on the matter?

Ravens GM Eric DeCosta said the team thinks second-round RB J.K. Dobbins is "a three-down back."

"We think he's a three-down back," DeCosta said. "He's been extremely durable. He's an outstanding fit for what we like to do." He also said he's learned that "you've got to have quality depth" at that position. It's the second time the Ravens' GM has touted 21-year-old Dobbins in the last 48 hours as the front office arguably views the Ohio State product as an immediate contributor. Mark Ingram is expected to stay involved in some capacity in a two-down role, but Dobbins' seamless transition into Baltimore's intuitive run-heavy scheme paints an optimistic picture for the rookie in year one under OC Greg Roman.
I think he's a solid flex by mideseason. 

REDRAFT ROOKIE TARGETS

Excerpt:

Ravens RB J.K. Dobbins -- The Ravens had a first-round grade on Dobbins and felt they had no choice but to pull the trigger on him at No. 55 overall despite already employing Mark Ingram, Gus Edwards, and Justice Hill. Unlike those three, Dobbins offers a true three-down skill set and was a monster producer at Ohio State, setting the school rushing record with 2,003 yards last season while finding the end zone 21 times on the ground. He isn’t just a runner, either, as Dobbins averaged 23 catches per season as a three-year starter for the Buckeyes. Ravens GM Eric DeCosta already confirmed the team views Dobbins as a three-down back. Ingram is likely entering his final year with the team and turns 30 later this year. He has a lot of miles on his tires dating back to his time at Alabama, but Ingram still showed last season he can produce at a high level. Dobbins’ upside is just so much higher. Hill was almost nonexistent as a 2019 rookie, so if Dobbins can just take Edwards’ 140 touches as a floor and push Ingram for some of his workload, then the sky's the limit for the rookie. The Ravens have the league’s No. 1 rushing offense keyed by Lamar Jackson and OC Greg Roman’s play-calling ability, and they ran the third-most plays in the league last season after coming in at No. 1 the previous year. Ingram isn’t going to be phased out completely in 2020, but if he were to get hurt, Dobbins could be a legit league-winner for fantasy purposes. Even if Dobbins becomes the 1A to Ingram’s 1B, there’s top-16 upside considering the offense he’s in and the dominant on-paper defense. Dobbins is someone we should be actively targeting in fantasy drafts.

I liked that article but there's no way that it makes a case for Dobbins over CEH or JT in year 1, year 2 and beyond. I read the article that it cited from baltimoreravens.com and it's very, very clear that year 1 all four running backs will be used. I like Dobbins, IMHO he'll do some great things but I'm not seeing the picture that the author of reddit is trying to paint here.

Tex

Reading through the Sutton thread I realized something. I like Dobbins talent but don't like his landing spot for immediate help. Just like Sutton. He's still a good pick for someone sitting in the top 5 picks of this years draft. Just dont expect to much this year and maybe next. 

Users who are viewing this thread