What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB J.K. Dobbins, LAC (9 Viewers)

If I hadn't have Lamar and M. Andrews on my team, I wouldn't hesitate to pick him with my 1.2 rookie pick.
You shouldn't let that stop you from drafting a talented player.

If I'm drafting 1.2 I'm still picking between Taylor and CEH though imo.

Right now, I'm debating between Dobbins and Taylor at 1.2. (I rank CEH first)

I see Dobbins cealing higher then Taylor for the next years.

Starting to feel this guy is my 1.01. He seems like the most complete back of the top tier when looking at all aspects. Speed to corner, long speed, good cuts and vision, not as powerful as Taylor but runs aggressively, shows good ability to extend arms and make catches (although not perfect in this area). Pass pro could be better but seems to be a worker so not concerned. I have been debating between Taylor and CEH at the top spot but have now opened my eyes and think it is Dobbins. May have to be a little more patient but love the organization and idea that he will be teamed up with Jackson for 4 years. When asked who he models his game after he said McCaffrey even though OH St. didn’t throw to their RBs as much as he would have liked. When asked what separates him from the other backs he said leadership. Like the attitude and the skill set has less question marks than Taylor, CEH, and Swift from my amateur eyeballs. Looking forward to seeing how these guys shake out in 3-4 years as I have many of them graded so closely.

I think Dobbins will be very good.  

But I think his upside is capped by a couple of factors.

1.  Jackson.  Jackson will have designed runs.  This will cut into his overall carries.  Jackson will also steal some goal line TD's.  

2.  Baltimore likes to use a rotation of backs.  Ingram in a Pro-bowl season had less than 230 touches.  Ingram will be a major factor this year.  He could be for the next couple of years.  They've got Hill.  

I think he's pretty reasonable at 3, maybe 2?  CEH in that KC offense seems like a slam dunk.  Taylor is an amazing talent going into a good situation.  RB's playing with Rivers have caught a ton of passes.  But we may only see a year or 2 of Rivers.  What's the future in Indy?  But even under Brisett, Mack has had success.  Taylor>Mack.  

I think Dobbins will be very good.  

But I think his upside is capped by a couple of factors.

1.  Jackson.  Jackson will have designed runs.  This will cut into his overall carries.  Jackson will also steal some goal line TD's.  

2.  Baltimore likes to use a rotation of backs.  Ingram in a Pro-bowl season had less than 230 touches.  Ingram will be a major factor this year.  He could be for the next couple of years.  They've got Hill.  

I think he's pretty reasonable at 3, maybe 2?  CEH in that KC offense seems like a slam dunk.  Taylor is an amazing talent going into a good situation.  RB's playing with Rivers have caught a ton of passes.  But we may only see a year or 2 of Rivers.  What's the future in Indy?  But even under Brisett, Mack has had success.  Taylor>Mack.  
Great points. I do feel like Jackson will have to run less at some point. My theory with carries is the majority of teams split carries. I am not sure CEH or Taylor garner much more of the share. I think Indy has a plan for third downs (Hynes, Mack was a solid receiver coming into the league and barely caught the ball) and I have no idea what CEH is walking into. Not scared of Williams, Washington, Thompson....but they are all kind of the same back. I know some people will argue the skill set of CEH and I have been one of them. But at the heart of it I don’t think he has a ton of power and certainly doesn’t have the long speed. He is a great route runner, has awesome vision, and great lateral agility. I just question his ability to have enough power to get through contact at the next level. My eyes when watching what I would consider the top three backs (CEH, Dobbins, Taylor) tell me that Dobbins has the best combination of skill and landing spot to have the most success. I was on the CEH bandwagon for a long time but something just didn’t feel right. Dobbins looks to me like the guy that could put it all together. Rookie drafts and NFL drafts say otherwise but with my amateur eye I like the total picture best with Dobbins. Waldman was pretty high on Dobbins as well and I fought that as long as I could, but the more I watch of him the more I like. Time will tell and maybe CEH becomes what Hunt could have been...or Taylor becomes Indy’s version of Chubb. In a silly hobby like this though it is more fun to trust your gut.

Dobbins to me is a long play. I don’t expect big numbers this season but could see that change late this season or next season. What really intrigues me about Dobbins is his ability in the RPO game. Paired with Lamar this could be lethal but they need reps and I have no idea how much time they will have this season in training camp to practice this. Might end up working out better IRL than in fantasy though.

It's a great year to have 1.3 or even 1.4. It's almost like having 3-4 1.1's, although none on the Barkley level, but great high end depth. And Swift is getting some serious disrespect primarily based on landing spot, but he was in a lot of 1.1 discussion prior to the draft too.

It's a great year to have 1.3 or even 1.4. It's almost like having 3-4 1.1's, although none on the Barkley level, but great high end depth. And Swift is getting some serious disrespect primarily based on landing spot, but he was in a lot of 1.1 discussion prior to the draft too.
got him at 7 in a 1 qb league this weekend... very strange

The more I hear / read the more I like him.  Got him at 1.05 (with Lamb and Swift going ahead of him). 

I got CEH at 1.01 and have Mixon, so could potentially trade Mixon if both the rookies impress early.

The more I hear / read the more I like him.  Got him at 1.05 (with Lamb and Swift going ahead of him). 

I got CEH at 1.01 and have Mixon, so could potentially trade Mixon if both the rookies impress early.
Got him as my rb5. Mixon as my rb3. Not trading anyone 

Starting to feel this guy is my 1.01. He seems like the most complete back of the top tier when looking at all aspects. Speed to corner, long speed, good cuts and vision, not as powerful as Taylor but runs aggressively, shows good ability to extend arms and make catches (although not perfect in this area). Pass pro could be better but seems to be a worker so not concerned. I have been debating between Taylor and CEH at the top spot but have now opened my eyes and think it is Dobbins. May have to be a little more patient but love the organization and idea that he will be teamed up with Jackson for 4 years. When asked who he models his game after he said McCaffrey even though OH St. didn’t throw to their RBs as much as he would have liked. When asked what separates him from the other backs he said leadership. Like the attitude and the skill set has less question marks than Taylor, CEH, and Swift from my amateur eyeballs. Looking forward to seeing how these guys shake out in 3-4 years as I have many of them graded so closely.
I was able to snag him at 1.05 in the only league I got him in so far.  

Lamar Jackson can regress and still have epic 2020 season behind elite Ravens squad

Excerpt:

This is an offense situated around the running game. Can a fantasy manager conceivably draft both Mark Ingram and J.K. Dobbins and be fine, or should one RB be prioritized over the other?

Liz: Dobbins was my No. 1 ranked RB heading into this year’s NFL draft. His three-down skill set, authoritative running style, and experience as a pass protector align perfectly with the Ravens’ scheme and style. But Mark Ingram is still it. Sure, he’s 30-years-old, but he’s also a key piece of Baltimore’s team culture, which is something the franchise has historically valued in veteran players. Furthermore, Baltimore doesn’t have a contractual out until 2021. 

It makes sense then that as long as he’s healthy, Ingram will work as the team’s RB1. Therefore, I’d prioritize the vet over the rookie, BUT if a manager made a different player or positional choice in the fourth round (which is where Ingram seems to be coming off the board) then I’d certainly target Dobbins in the double-digit rounds. Ultimately, having a piece of this rushing attack should be #goals.

Dalton: Considering the Ravens ran for nearly 1,000 more yards than the No. 2 team last year, both Ingram and Dobbins could finish as viable fantasy RB2s in 2020. But I’m prioritizing Dobbins, who’s younger and seemingly a perfect fit coming from a similar RPO system in college. Baltimore management loves the rookie and graded him as their No. 1 RB and as a first-rounder in the draft, and he’s coming off a final season at Ohio State that was more productive than Ezekiel Elliott’s. The Ravens don’t throw to backs much and Ingram remains (although he’s 30 with an injury history), but given his situation and talent, Dobbins has legit first-round fantasy upside as a rookie.

Andy: There’s little question at the moment that Mark Ingram is the guy at the top of this team’s backfield depth chart. He’s an excellent all-purpose back coming off a terrific season (5.0 YPC, 15 TDs). Of course he’s also 30 years old; Dobbins was drafted as both his understudy and, in all likelihood, next year’s starter. You can certainly draft both Ingram and Dobbins on the same roster, because Baltimore’s rushing offense is exceptional. Plenty of carries to go around, more than any one back can handle. But it should go without saying that you’d never actually start both Dobbins and Ingram in the same week. That feels like a low-probability bet. Ingram enters the season as the team’s No. 1 back, and, again, he feasted a year ago.

I've been getting a lot of trade offers for Dobbins.  His rookie year will definitely be capped by Ingram, but as long as he doesn't get hurt he will be a good one.  I still prefer Taylor over him, and most prefer CEH, but that may end up proving to be the wrong choice.

Ravens rookie J.K. Dobbins plans to push for a starting role.

“I don’t know how patient I can be,” Dobbins said. “I’m trying to play. I feel like if I show the coaches I can play at this level I’m going to be on the field. My goal is to help the team win, not sitting on the bench.” This isn’t a surprise coming from a workhorse like Dobbins, who was a Day 1 starter at Ohio State. There’s no doubt Dobbins is a three-down back, but it may take an injury or a breakout for him to pass Mark Ingram on the depth chart. Ingram’s contract sets up Dobbins to take over the backfield next offseason. The question is whether the Ravens let him this year.

RELATED: 

Mark Ingram

SOURCE: Baltimore Sun

Aug 15, 2020, 12:34 PM ET

I've been getting a lot of trade offers for Dobbins.  His rookie year will definitely be capped by Ingram, but as long as he doesn't get hurt he will be a good one.  I still prefer Taylor over him, and most prefer CEH, but that may end up proving to be the wrong choice.
I think if you evaluate the RB independent of draft position and where they went that Taylor and Dobbins are/were the best prospects.

It is the old talent over situation argument. I usually want to be on the talent side of that almost on principle.

Andy Reids track record for RB success in fantasy is a doosy though.

Gerry Sandusky @GerrySandusky

Ravens training camp early thoughts 2: J.K. Dobbins is a wow. He has explosive lateral movement, vertical burst, and looks silly smooth out of the backfield in the passing game. First round talent that the Ravens nabbed with a second round pick.
https://twitter.com/gerrysandusky/status/1295389190763483137?s=21

Jamison Hensley @jamisonhensley

Ravens second-round pick J.K. Dobbins is explosive when getting the ball in his hands. He gets to the edges fast and hard.

It's difficult to see No. 27 running with the ball and not think of Ray Rice.
https://twitter.com/jamisonhensley/status/1295394915069960198?s=21

NFL training camp 2020: Kittle and Mostert get cheesy, Gronk catches a shark

Excerpt:

Ravens rookie running back J.K. Dobbins played with an emotional edge in practice. He didn't back down from the verbal sparring with safety DeShon Elliott and then got in a heated exchange with safety Nigel Warrior, which prompted coach John Harbaugh to step in between to squash it. Dobbins, a second-round pick, has looked like a first-round talent. He's still running behind starter Mark Ingram, but he has been explosive with his jump cuts and has made some fine catches in the passing game. It's been a strong first impression by Dobbins, who is trying to earn playing time in a crowded Baltimore backfield. -- Jamison Hensley

The 1.4 owner is on the clock and offered me the pick for my #1s in 2021 and 2022.  I also own 1.5.  Figure my #1s will probably be in the mid-range, if I had to guess.

First 3 were CEH, Taylor, Swift.

Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
The 1.4 owner is on the clock and offered me the pick for my #1s in 2021 and 2022.  I also own 1.5.  Figure my #1s will probably be in the mid-range, if I had to guess.

First 3 were CEH, Taylor, Swift.

Thoughts?
Ask for his 2022 2nd or something else back.

The Athletic’s Jeff Zrebiec thinks it “might be a weekly decision” for OC Greg Roman on who is getting carries behind Mark Ingram.

J.K. Dobbins is the clear favorite for touches, but this is a reminder Gus Edwards isn’t completely out of the picture after playing 36 percent of snaps last year. Dynasty leaguers drafting Dobbins with a top-five pick are betting on his talent winning out this year and the Ravens moving on from Ingram next offseason. Dobbins has said he expects to push Ingram to start.

RELATED: 

Gus Edwards

, Justice Hill

SOURCE: The Athletic

Aug 21, 2020, 6:52 PM ET

I think this is a bad way of saying Gus Edwards will still be in the mix....which I understand....

I think both Ingram and Edwards will get less touches than last year that will go to Dobbins.....will be a tough 1st few weeks but take the discount on this and play for mid year stats on....

The Athletic's Jeff Zrebiec reports "every practice seems to bring another highlight-reel submission" from second-round rookie J.K. Dobbins. 

This is one of those instances where it would be bad news if that wasn't the case. Zrebiec reported three days ago that it "might be a weekly decision" who serves as Mark Ingram's primary backup. We would assume Dobbins will usually have a leg up on Gus Edwards and Justice Hill, but he has to force the Ravens' hand and earn more touches. Dobbins could be a shaky FLEX to begin the season. 

Aug 24, 2020, 5:24 PM ET

JohnnyU said:
I hope so, because I got him in a couple of devy leagues after his freshman year.  He's not without warts, but I hope he does well.  I feel better about Taylor however.
I have Taylor and CEH above him as well. Just a testament to how good this class was. Dobbins is really going to develop as a receiver I think. Already looked comfortable in that aspect in college but I think he will develop that into a major plus in his game. His feet look really quick as well, albeit basing this off limited camp videos/reports.

NFL Beat Writers @32BeatWriters

RB coach Weiss: “J.K., I’ve been really impressed with. I think every day, his athleticism, his physicality, his vision — all the things that make a great running back – show up on the field...I’ve been even more impressed with his mindset, of his make-up..."
https://twitter.com/32beatwriters/status/1298613388759773187?s=21

NFL Beat Writers @32BeatWriters

"(JK Dobbins) has looked every bit the steal many declared him to be when the Ravens selected him. (He) has looked elusive in team drills but has impressed the most showcasing his receiving skills, delivering multiple highlight-reel catches with linebackers in coverage." #Ravens
https://twitter.com/32beatwriters/status/1298611357412196352?s=21

And you have to cover him with a LB. Unless you want to put a LB on Andrews. Or go really small and get mashed by the running game. 

JohnnyU said:
I hope so, because I got him in a couple of devy leagues after his freshman year.  He's not without warts, but I hope he does well.  I feel better about Taylor however.
I agree here.  I draft 1.3 this weekend.  If I have the choice, I take Taylor.  If CEH and Taylor are gone, I gladly take Dobbins.

The Athletic's Jeff Zrebiec said rookie RB J.K. Dobbins has solidified an early-season role in the Baltimore backfield. 

Though "Mark Ingram remains the starter and Gus Edwards still figures to get his touches," Zrebiec said "Dobbins will have a role in Week 1. That was the expectation going into camp and Dobbins has proven that he deserves one with how dynamic he’s looked." After some indication that Edwards might interfere with Dobbins' weekly touches, it seems more likely that the rookie will be the 1B to Ingram's 1A in the Ravens backfield. Dobbins' sixth round ADP means fantasy managers are probably going to have to decide between him, Rams RB Cam Akers, and Lions RB D'Andre Swift. 

RELATED: 

Mark Ingram

Aug 26, 2020, 11:34 AM ET

Dobbins' sixth round ADP means fantasy managers are probably going to have to decide between him, Rams RB Cam Akers, and Lions RB D'Andre Swift. 
That pretty well sums it up for redraft.

The success the Ravens had with Ingram last year kinda puts Dobbins third on this list I think.  Really love the talent but the ADP is just too rich for my blood I'm afraid.

The success the Ravens had with Ingram last year kinda puts Dobbins third on this list I think.  Really love the talent but the ADP is just too rich for my blood I'm afraid.
Couldn’t agree more! I’m looking forward to watching people overpay for his services 

Do you think so? I’m not so sure. 

Akers has the least competition by far, but the worst OL and worst QB of all 3. Swift probably has the second best scenario, but not as good of an offense or QB as Dobbins. Dobbins has the #1 rushing offense in the league and an older vet ahead of him who he is already pushing for time. If Ingram wasn’t there, he could be the top rookie rb in 2020. Ingram isn’t a huge barrier to me, but I do understand/agree he is a risky 2020 play. I’m just not sure he’s behind those other 2 so clearly. Maybe Swift considering the ADP

Do you think so? I’m not so sure. 

Akers has the least competition by far, but the worst OL and worst QB of all 3. Swift probably has the second best scenario, but not as good of an offense or QB as Dobbins. Dobbins has the #1 rushing offense in the league and an older vet ahead of him who he is already pushing for time. If Ingram wasn’t there, he could be the top rookie rb in 2020. Ingram isn’t a huge barrier to me, but I do understand/agree he is a risky 2020 play. I’m just not sure he’s behind those other 2 so clearly. Maybe Swift considering the ADP
Ingram seems like a fairly significant barrier to me.

Users who are viewing this thread