What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Disrespecting Donald Trump vs disrespecting the office of the Presidency (1 Viewer)

timschochet

Footballguy
I ask because I'm torn on this. I really dislike President Trump, no shocker there. I think he has committed a high crime and deserves to be impeached and removed. I think he's a liar and a bigot and his actions have been, overall, harmful to this country.  I think he's a disgrace to the White House, and I hope to heck the voters reject him next year.

But he's also, currently, the President of the United States. And booing him seems like it's disrespectful to the office of the Presidency.

Now I've gone back and forth on this. A few weeks ago in this forum, I was cheering on the protestors in Minnesota, and I laughed heartily at the idea that people would chant "lock him up!" I thought, how awesome is that? But then, when I actually saw them do it, and it was the President of the United States being loudly booed and disrespected I thought...this doesn't seem right. So I don't know.

Last edited by a moderator:
An adult knows how to take the good and take the bad. Maybe hearing that was a bit of humble pie or a reality shock. That is what happens when a circle is small... once outside the circle you may realize a few things that were not known. Seeing his reaction is telling. Now, what he does with that reaction is another thing. Somehow, I don't see him changing, so in his mind, it was a fluke.

Also, you boo the person, not the office.

I would have preferred a coordinated moment of silence which started at the precise instant that the images of military personnel were removed from the big screen, and which ended at the precise instant that Trump's image was removed from the big screen.

Didn't Obama and G.W. Bush get booed during similar events?

I would have just stayed silent.  I don't support booing at sporting events and would have done that same for this.

Despite the smile on his face, I think you could see that it hurt him.  It made me feel bad for him even though I dislike the man.

Some person: Dr. Frankenstein, what are you doing why are you creating that thing? It's going to be monstrous

Victor Frankenstein: I am moving humanity forward! It is for the betterment of all

Some person: I'm not so sure about that. Thing's huge! It might do some real damage.

Victor Frankenstein: You don't understand me! You could never understand!

Monster: *yup, he kills him*

---

So, yeah it's a little sad, but.

This. 

It's a sporting event, fans can boo whomever they want.  Whether they be kneeling Colin, bowing Lebron, or blowhard Trump. 
I just want to make sure we're separating this from what people CAN do. Because of course they can boo Trump, they have the right to boo him or anybody else. This is a question of whether or not it's a good and wise thing. As I wrote I'm troubled by the disrespect to the office.

But he's also, currently, the President of the United States. And booing him seems like it's disrespectful to the office of the Presidency.
I don't think anyone was booing the office. They were booing the man.

I am also torn on it. Some of the people there were probably booing based on policy disagreements. I find that disturbing. As Obama said, "Don't boo. Vote." That's the right posture.

But if people were booing based on the notion that Mr. Trump is undermining our basic democratic framework that is supposed to include fair elections, I do think that's a boo-able offense, and I do think he needs to hear people's disapproval of it. I'm not sure whether there's some other way for him to be made aware of public sentiment.

I think it is disrespectful to boo the President.  Obama was a far worse President than Trump by a lot of people, myself included.  How would you have felt if Obama was booed?
A congressman interrupted Obama and shouted "You lie!" I thought that terrible. Yet the congressman, as I recall, was lauded among conservatives. How did you feel about that at the time?

For the life of me, I can't figure out why this is an issue.

Who wouldn't boo Trump?

ETA: They booed a man at a baseball game. How is this even remotely a thing to think about for more than 20 seconds?

A congressman interrupted Obama and shouted "You lie!" I thought that terrible. Yet the congressman, as I recall, was lauded among conservatives. How did you feel about that at the time?
I don't remember that but if that happened it was wrong and disrespectful.

I think it is disrespectful to boo the President.  Obama was considered a far worse President than Trump by a lot of people, myself included.  How would you have felt if Obama was booed?
RACISM!!!!  The crowd clearly would have been filled with Nais and White supremacists.

Boo during a public address or event like state of the union? No.

Boo at an appearance like this?  Im fine with it no matter who the president is.

Sadly this is how the media would react.
I know..I wasn't just pulling that out of nowhere.  I am 100% certain that if Obama had been booed, it would haev been because baseball fans are mostly white, and therefore they were racist.  I stretched with the nazi and white supremacist schtick, but racists?  Absolutely positively. 

I know..I wasn't just pulling that out of no where.  I am 100% certain that if Obama had been booed, it would haev been because baseball fans are mostly white, and therefore they were racist.  I stretched with the nazi and white supremacist schtick, but racists?  Absolutely positively. 
There was racism being thrown at Obama, such as questioning whether the first non-white President was born here, but booing him at a baseball game would not have been racist. 

That was wrong too.  And a fair amount of republicans immediately came out and said so,.

Have any democratic lawmakers denounced the crowd booing President Trump?  A talking head on MSNBC doesn't count by the way
Wouldn't a Baseball crowd be a tad bit different than a congressman during an actual Presidential address?

The booing I am fine with.  I didn't care for the "Lock him up" chant.  That didn't sit well with me when it was "Lock her up", it doesn't sit well with me now.  We are not supposed to be a country that wants people "locked up" simply because we don't like or agree with them.  

I think it is disrespectful to boo the President.  Obama was considered a far worse President than Trump by a lot of people, myself included.  How would you have felt if Obama was booed?
Trump holds rallies where people chant "lock her up!" and "send her back!" and boo his perceived enemies. If Trump wanted respect, then he should act like he knows what it is. He doesn't.

This is like swearing constantly around your kids and then acting shocked when they drop an F bomb. 

The booing I am fine with.  I didn't care for the "Lock him up" chant.  That didn't sit well with me when it was "Lock her up", it doesn't sit well with me now.  We are not supposed to be a country that wants people "locked up" simply because we don't like or agree with them.  
I think he courts the "lock him up" chants by encouraging the "lock her up" chants at his rallies.  If its good for the goose, its good for the gander.  

I feel like Trump is in charge of that one.  If he wants to lead a civil discourse - he is free to lead.

Trump holds rallies where people chant "lock her up!" and "send her back!" and boo his perceived enemies. If Trump wanted respect, then he should act like he knows what it is. He doesn't.

This is like swearing constantly around your kids and then acting shocked when they drop an F bomb. 
That wasn't the question.

I dont understand your question.  Was that rhetorical?
More of a statement that a crowd of people at a baseball game booing isn’t very comparable to a Congressman heckling the President during an address. So I wouldn’t  expect any response by democrats criticizing people for booing.

I would aay its more about his actions than just disagreeing with him.

I think he courts the "lock him up" chants by encouraging the "lock her up" chants at his rallies.  If its good for the goose, its good for the gander.  

I feel like Trump is in charge of that one.  If he wants to lead a civil discourse - he is free to lead.
Completely disagree - if you think he's that bad why would you want to be like him?

I understand that, and I struggle with this kind of stuff when it comes to him.  I just continue to hold out hope that we have a future beyond this vitriolic landscape we are in, and if we do, it's going to take some measure of not being willing to go as low as he does.  Where that line is differs for everyone, I don't have a clear grasp on it yet myself, but I feel the "Lock him/her up" is in the range where mine starts.

Users who are viewing this thread