Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Disrespecting Donald Trump vs disrespecting the office of the Presidency

timschochet

1 hour ago, Sinn Fein said:

I don't think I understand the "respect the office" angle - he is not fulfilling an official function - he is at a baseball game.

I can understand not booing the State of the Union Address.  

Being able to boo the president with out fear of incrimination is what makes the country great.  Others have said it more eloquently than I, but if you want to show the world, that American democracy is not broken - its standing up to boo the president at the World Series.

You know where they disapprove of booing the leaders - North Korea.  Russia.  China.  Turkey.  Saudi Arabia.

They don’t “disapprove” in those countries; it’s simply not allowed. 

Its frustrating to me that I keep having to repeat that this is not a question of what should be legal. I support your right to boo, and like you I celebrate it. But I also find it a little boorish. 

2 hours ago, Max Power said:

I would have boo'd Hillary. Still will anywhere I see her. 

No issues with the booing, and congrats to the Nats fans. 

She had an event pre-election in my neighborhood in Charlotte.  I yelled "Feel the Bern" at her supporters lined up outside.

• Love 1

4 hours ago, Sinn Fein said:

I don't think I understand the "respect the office" angle - he is not fulfilling an official function - he is at a baseball game.

Being able to boo the president with out fear of incrimination is what makes the country great.  Others have said it more eloquently than I, but if you want to show the world, that American democracy is not broken - its standing up to boo the president at the World Series.

You know where they disapprove of booing the leaders - North Korea.  Russia.  China.  Turkey.  Saudi Arabia.

Is this Russia? This isn't Russia, is it?

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Max Power said:

I would have boo'd Hillary. Still will anywhere I see her. 

No issues with the booing, and congrats to the Nats fans. 

I would boo Warren if I saw her.  So add her to the list.

Normally, I would say I think it is AWFUL to boo the president, not attend the white house if invited, etc...

If you dont agree with a policy or something - you should still respect the position and office.

That being said he has disgraced the office and the white house with his actions and tweets.   I dont even care what some of his blunders in political moves/policies are (for example Syria).

But they way everything has been handled is not Professional or Presidential....  The President should act with a higher standard and decorum, imo

So my opinion is he brought this on himself kind of thing.  Sure other presidents get teased poked fun at (kind of goes with the territory)  but the Twitter rants and press conferences and lies are just off the charts....

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 10/29/2019 at 1:29 PM, Sinn Fein said:

Prior to this current president - I'm not sure any other president would have been booed tbh....

But the "respect the office" angle is simple - the President is the "top leader" of the country and should at least be treated with respect (assuming they act like a leader)....   You wouldn't Boo your boss if you saw them out at a bar?

But like I said previously I dont have issue with it here as it was "brought on himself" kind of thing.

1 minute ago, belljr said:

Prior to this current president - I'm not sure any other president would have been booed tbh....

But the "respect the office" angle is simple - the President is the "top leader" of the country and should at least be treated with respect (assuming they act like a leader)....   You wouldn't Boo your boss if you saw them out at a bar?

But like I said previously I dont have issue with it here as it was "brought on himself" kind of thing.

Well, as I think a number of people have pointed out - past presidents have in fact been booed in public - as recently as Obama, and includes Clinton and GWB.

For me, respecting the office refers to the official duties of the president.  i.e. don't boo during the State of the Union (though the GOP even heckled Obama then).  

People voicing disapproval kind of just goes with the territory.

• Like 1

This may have been already covered but one quick thought.

I wouldn't put too much stock in anyone booing anywhere. 

The long time commissioner of the most popular and successful sport in America is unmercifully booed at the Draft every year. 

Andrew Luck was booed when his retirement was leaked. 

Other politicians have been booed as has been noted. 

There's a ton of social pressure / crowd dynamics and more at play on booing. I don't put much stock in it. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Sinn Fein said:

Well, as I think a number of people have pointed out - past presidents have in fact been booed in public - as recently as Obama, and includes Clinton and GWB.

For me, respecting the office refers to the official duties of the president.  i.e. don't boo during the State of the Union (though the GOP even heckled Obama then).  

People voicing disapproval kind of just goes with the territory.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Joe Bryant said:

The long time commissioner of the most popular and successful sport in America is unmercifully booed at the Draft every year. 

There's a ton of social pressure / crowd dynamics and more at play on booing. I don't put much stock in it. 

It's a popular way for the public to voice their opinion.  People dislike Goodell and think he sucks as commissioner. Fans were upset with Luck and felt he abandoned their team.  There's always a reason to dislike politicians.  If someone is booing you there's a good chance they are not happy with you in some way.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

It's a popular way for the public to voice their opinion.  People dislike Goodell and think he sucks as commissioner. Fans were upset with Luck and felt he abandoned their team.  There's always a reason to dislike politicians.  If someone is booing you there's a good chance they are not happy with you in some way.

Agreed.

16 hours ago, Joe Bryant said:

And let's not forget the booing Joe dealt with after the "Who's Hottest" and "Yoga Pants" threads were axed.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, rockaction said:

I just saw this thread. Doesn't every president that isn't throwing out the first pitch after 9/11 get booed these days? It was a big deal in the early 20th century, but not these days. 

They probably do. One reason is they cause a huge inconvenience to the fans who are attending the games by causing delays due to all the security measures. 

I mean when you are getting booed at a UFC event that is populated by meatheads in the upper deck and the rich on the lower deck near the cage then you have an issue.  I doubt that the majority of people are booing him because he is moving their entire family to Florida.  

The best part of that was here is Trump and McCarthy with this somewhat somber and worried look and there is Eric Trump with a look that makes me think that the only thing he was thinking at the time was whether he can get extra chilli on his nachos 

Edited by hammerva
  • Like 2

On 11/3/2019 at 1:12 AM, bananafish said:

Here's a hint: he's not that bright but fires anyone who dares to disagree with him. What a way to run a Presidency!

I take it back, the man's a stable genius.

I would say neigh to that last sentence.

• Like 1

AL.com now reporting that 

The Student Government Association at the University of Alabama is warning groups that protesting President Trump during the Tide’s Saturday game vs. LSU could result in loss of reserved seating for the remainder of the season.

Curious story, since it starts with the letter emanating from the SGA but that it was penned by the school's VP of Student Affairs, who would appear to be a university employee.

18 minutes ago, roadkill1292 said:

The Student Government Association at the University of Alabama is warning groups that protesting President Trump during the Tide’s Saturday game vs. LSU could result in loss of reserved seating for the remainder of the season.

Curious story, since it starts with the letter emanating from the SGA but that it was penned by the school's VP of Student Affairs, who would appear to be a university employee.

Not surprising...but I don't see it as much of a threat either.  They are essentially saying they won't be able to go to the Western Carolina game :lmao: 
Pretty stupid for a school employee to even make this threat given the laughable consequences tied to it...why even say anything?

1. Does the UA SGA have that kind of power? This sounds like a reporting error; at least it's incomplete.

3. Surely, even in Alabama, university officials are aware of the first Amendment? Do they think that, even in the Age of Trump, they have a snowball's chance of making this stick?

4. Alabama students may not really care about these restrictions. They live in Alabama. And I get the impression that irreverance and disobedience is not as important to young people there as it is elsewhere. Alabama natives are welcome to disabuse me of this belief.

54 minutes ago, roadkill1292 said:

Revised statement from the VP of Student Affairs

“Some have misinterpreted my comment regarding “disruptive behavior.” As with other games this season, Organization’s Block Seating locations will be clearly marked, but at certain times, other students can and should have access to open seats. By disruptive behavior, we are asking students to be respectful to all students and staff and avoid altercations. My email has nothing do with anyone’s First Amendment rights and I am sorry for any confusion. Please express yourself and especially your pride for the Tide.”