What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Example of What's Wrong with Some Companies. (1 Viewer)

He needs to start maxing out what he is putting into his 401K.  Don't limit it to 10%.  At this point he won't feel the loss and will get used to it.  He will be much happier on the back end if he does this. 
I'm not sure I agree. The answer probably lies somewhere in between. He would like to save money for car and a house. Having it locked into a 401k is good and bad. He's also funding his Vanguard Roth at $6k. 

Not sure there are many 22 year olds that are saving $10k for retirement. Which equates to 20% of his gross. 

I'm not sure I agree. The answer probably lies somewhere in between. He would like to save money for car and a house. Having it locked into a 401k is good and bad. He's also funding his Vanguard Roth at $6k. 

Not sure there are many 22 year olds that are saving $10k for retirement. Which equates to 20% of his gross. 
If you do it now you won't miss it and you will learn to save in other ways.  Maxing out now will drastically help on the back end.  It allows the maximum growth which once that egg starts rolling it picks up steam quickly.  I know it's hard because you want to do x, y, or z right now because it's probably the most money he's ever had.  But that is all the more reason to max out now.  You don't miss it.  In addition since it's pre-tax you are not really losing that much out of pocket.  That is the biggest benefit. 

I started maxing out when I was his age.  I was still able to buy a house, car and save for my kids colleges.  I am at a point now that I will have enough in my 401k to retire at age 55...…..except for that crap about what age you can start using it.  I also want to get to another level of pension so I will probably go until I am 57.  I never missed that money because I never relied on it.  I adjusted and made due without it.  Now I am extremely happy I did. 

I would push for him to max out.  It is a big benefit on the back end. 

Every day I wish someone would have tied me to a chair and tortured me into maxing out my 403b from day 1.  I waited about 6-7 years too long.  I am 39, and my 403h balance would easily be double what it is now, if not more.

If you do it now you won't miss it and you will learn to save in other ways.  Maxing out now will drastically help on the back end.  It allows the maximum growth which once that egg starts rolling it picks up steam quickly.  I know it's hard because you want to do x, y, or z right now because it's probably the most money he's ever had.  But that is all the more reason to max out now.  You don't miss it.  In addition since it's pre-tax you are not really losing that much out of pocket.  That is the biggest benefit. 

I started maxing out when I was his age.  I was still able to buy a house, car and save for my kids colleges.  I am at a point now that I will have enough in my 401k to retire at age 55...…..except for that crap about what age you can start using it.  I also want to get to another level of pension so I will probably go until I am 57.  I never missed that money because I never relied on it.  I adjusted and made due without it.  Now I am extremely happy I did. 

Not sure you're comparing apples to apples. 

He's grossing $40k. IRA max is $19500. That leaves $20500 in taxable income. (he also has some insurance that comes out) Which nets him roughly $18k. Deduct $6k for Roth contribution and he's netting $12k a year.

What kind of house and car are you able to afford with that?

He's grossing $40k. IRA max is $19500. That leaves $20500 in taxable income. (he also has some insurance that comes out) Which nets him roughly $18k. Deduct $6k for Roth contribution and he's netting $12k a year.

I would maybe shift some from Roth to 401K to gain the pre-tax benefit.  It is a shuffle to maximize your contributions and still be able to live.   My point was to make sure he maximizes what he can put away because if he starts off high he won't miss it if he can maintain that contribution level.  If it turns out to be too much he can lower it incrementally as needed. 

I do agree that with the maximum contribution being so much higher now than it was when it started that it makes it harder to be able to maximize the contribution if you need the money to live day to day now.  I think we can both agree he needs to put in whatever allows him to get the maximum employer match.  No matter what you need to hit that number otherwise you are giving away free money. 

Something nice if you let him live with you a year or two.  

Or he just buys a 3000 dollar car like a lot of people do.

I would maybe shift some from Roth to 401K to gain the pre-tax benefit.  It is a shuffle to maximize your contributions and still be able to live.   My point was to make sure he maximizes what he can put away because if he starts off high he won't miss it if he can maintain that contribution level.  If it turns out to be too much he can lower it incrementally as needed. 

I do agree that with the maximum contribution being so much higher now than it was when it started that it makes it harder to be able to maximize the contribution if you need the money to live day to day now.  I think we can both agree he needs to put in whatever allows him to get the maximum employer match.  No matter what you need to hit that number otherwise you are giving away free money. 
No to be argumentative, I know your trying to be helpful. But, if the maximum was lower when you were his age, wouldn't he be contributing the same amount and perhaps the same percentage of income your were. 

So it a way, he is doing what you suggested. The specifics are just different. 👍

Something nice if you let him live with you a year or two.  

Or he just buys a 3000 dollar car like a lot of people do.
This is becoming a stress point between myself and my wife. 

We differ on when he should start taking on financial (and other) responsibilities. 

No to be argumentative, I know your trying to be helpful. But, if the maximum was lower when you were his age, wouldn't he be contributing the same amount and perhaps the same percentage of income your were. 

So it a way, he is doing what you suggested. The specifics are just different. 👍
When I first started I think (if I remember correctly) there were two different caps.  There was a percentage cap which I think was around 16% and there was a dollar cap.  My company wouldn't allow you to go over the percentage (maybe that was just my companies own 401K limitation) even if you weren't at the dollar limit.  I was maxing out the percentage and upping it every time I could and I was making $40K.  So at the 16% limit I was putting in $6400.   I believe he is making about the same as that and putting in "only" 10% (which i think is great as most people his age aren't doing that) which would be about $4K. 

I was married and my wife was doing the same thing and she was making about the same as me and we were both maxing out the contribution.  Things were tight and we had to scrimp and save.  We didn't buy a new cars and we did get some help from our parents for a house down payment.  But we put everything extra we could into the retirement savings. 

You need to live but don't minimize the ability of that egg to grow and putting in more now than later will be a huge benefit.  Scrimp a little more now if possible because the reward later on will be well worth it.  

Your son is doing great and should be in good shape.  He is doing the right thing but if he can do more it would be better.  

Last edited by a moderator:
When I first started I think (if I remember correctly) there were two different caps.  There was a percentage cap which I think was around 16% and there was a dollar cap.  My company wouldn't allow you to go over the percentage (maybe that was just my companies own 401K limitation) even if you weren't at the dollar limit.  I was maxing out the percentage and upping it every time I could and I was making $40K.  So at the 16% limit I was putting in $6400.   I believe he is making about the same as that and putting in "only" 10% (which i think is great as most people his age aren't doing that) which would be about $4K. 

I was married and my wife was doing the same thing and she was making about the same as me and we were both maxing out the contribution.  Things were tight and we had to scrimp and save.  We didn't buy a new cars and we did get some help from our parents for a house down payment.  But we put everything extra we could into the retirement savings. 

You need to live but don't minimize the ability of that egg to grow and putting in more now than later will be a huge benefit.  Scrimp a little more now if possible because the reward later on will be well worth it.  

Your son is doing great and should be in good shape.  He is doing the right thing but if he can do more it would be better.  

You didn't account for the additional $6k in Roth IRA annually. Add that to the $4k for his 401k + matching money from the company (can't remember if it was 3 or 5%), he's contributing well above $10k per year towards retirement. Which would be 25% of his gross. 

The 401k contribution should go up with each yearly salary increase or change in job that would pay more. 

You didn't account for the additional $6k in Roth IRA annually. Add that to the $4k for his 401k + matching money from the company (can't remember if it was 3 or 5%), he's contributing well above $10k per year towards retirement. Which would be 25% of his gross. 

The 401k contribution should go up with each yearly salary increase or change in job that would pay more. 
I said that I would recommend cutting back on the ROTH contribution and shift to more of the 401K to take advantage of the tax benefit. 

I said that I would recommend cutting back on the ROTH contribution and shift to more of the 401K to take advantage of the tax benefit. 
Then it doesn't really matter. He'd still be putting 25% of his income towards retirement. Currently, that's split 50/50 between traditional and roth. At this point in time, nobody knows what changes will take place over the next 4 decades in regards to roth iras. Until then, and at a very young age, I thin a a 50/50 split gives him the most versatility moving forward. 

This is becoming a stress point between myself and my wife. 

We differ on when he should start taking on financial (and other) responsibilities. 
He would be.  His "rent" is maxing out his 401k.  A year or two.  Then boot him out.  Just think what that 40 grand will grow in to by the time he is thinking of retiring.   It would be more than most people will retire with at that time.  

He would be.  His "rent" is maxing out his 401k.  A year or two.  Then boot him out.  Just think what that 40 grand will grow in to by the time he is thinking of retiring.   It would be more than most people will retire with at that time.  
Perhaps. But, if he's saving 25% of his gross, what is he doing with the rest?

I'm of the thought that he should pay rent $200-$300 a month after he's had his job for 90 days. Currently we buy all of his food, toiletries, laundry supplies. His time falls into one of three buckets. Work, sleep, video games. The wife thinks he should get to live here for a year rent free. And then we should evaluate.

I'm of the thought that he should pay rent $200-$300 a month after he's had his job for 90 days. Currently we buy all of his food, toiletries, laundry supplies. His time falls into one of three buckets. Work, sleep, video games. The wife thinks he should get to live here for a year rent free. And then we should evaluate.
If you don't need the rent money from him I think ghostguy123 has it right.  "Charge" him rent by having him put that $200-$300 into his 401K for the year.  He is still learning to budget his money while really helping his future.   It might also be a nice compromise with the wife.

Make him pay rent, then when he leaves give it all back to him.

Users who are viewing this thread