What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Disney+ Info, shows and Movies (1 Viewer)

I think we are talking about a couple things though.  Just curious- if you guys named the best shows of the last 10-15 years, how many are NF shows.  I think Shieks point is that a lot of their draw was they had/have shows like The Office, Friends, Breaking Bad, Mad Men, etc.   They are losing content from other providers, so if they are just left with their original stuff, will that be enough for people?   I am guessing a lot of their budget is securing the rights to those shows.  
They are spending 15 billion on original content this year. 12 billion last year. 

Last edited by a moderator:
And they had enough foresight to get started early on this that they actually have a pretty good catalogue of original content already.
This is my disagreement. As an example, what I was think about doing was dropping NF when HBO kicks in next year, and keeping Disney and Prime.  

I made the decision to drop Hbo mostly because it wasn't great for the family.  I was the one that wanted it, because I think most would agree HBO stuff is the top tier.  If the kids like Disney, nobody really uses NF enough, so I would rather have HBO back.  We keep Prime anyway because of the shipping, but they have better movies than NF and I would rather have The Expanse and The Americans than any show on NF.  

We dont have FBG money, so I refuse to pay for 4-5+ different streaming services. 

Yikes- on what?  I need to look at this, and what some of the budgets for their main shows are vs the top shows on other outlets.  
I don’t know if there is a specific breakdown. I believe Stranger Things cost 150M? A lot of it is in development costs too, like signing the Game of Thrones duo which doesn’t really seem smart right now. 

And I know they didn’t get the Lord of the Rings stuff but I thought Netflix just struck a deal on some huge fantasy series recently too. Can’t think of it. 

I think we are talking about a couple things though.  Just curious- if you guys named the best shows of the last 10-15 years, how many are NF shows.  I think Shieks point is that a lot of their draw was they had/have shows like The Office, Friends, Breaking Bad, Mad Men, etc.   They are losing content from other providers, so if they are just left with their original stuff, will that be enough for people?   I am guessing a lot of their budget is securing the rights to those shows.  

I think other outlets are putting out good content, but NF was better at having more stuff in one spot, but we are seeing that crumble a bit.  

Sure it was a good bang for the buck before, but the way its looking we are going to be choosing from a lot more options,  so if a family is trying to stick to a budget and only have 2-3 streaming options, will NF be one of them? 
Are they losing shows like Peaky Blinders, Last Kingdom, Schitt's Creek etc.? I know they aren't sole producers, but they have a ton of stuff like that which I don't think will ever make it to something like Disney.

There's a ton of niche and foreign stuff Netflix carries as well that I doubt Disney would touch. I can't see Disney putting out something like Glow either. Netflix has been predicated on taking risks with their own content, they try all kinds of stuff. Sometimes it doesn't work out (e.g. Marco Polo, Disenchanted), but it doesn't deter them from continuing to take risks. That's like the polar opposite of Disney's business model.

The video game is great, but not sure how a show is going to turn out.  Interesting property to invest a lot if $ in.  (I think there are a bunch of books too though?) 
There were books.  There's a trailer you can watch on the IMDB page:  https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5180504/?ref_=vi_tr_mp_t_53

It looks great, but it's easy to make something look good in a trailer.  IMO Netflix's original content hasn't been good, on average.  There are very few shows or movies I liked, even though I was interested in many from the trailers.

There were books.  There's a trailer you can watch on the IMDB page:  https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5180504/?ref_=vi_tr_mp_t_53

It looks great, but it's easy to make something look good in a trailer.  IMO Netflix's original content hasn't been good, on average.  There are very few shows or movies I liked.
Stranger Things, House of Cards, Black Mirror, and even Orange is the New Black have been culturally relevant and great (never saw oistb though). Narcos was also fantastic and I know people who swear by Ozark.  That is a pretty great track record for shows. 

There are others as well. 

They have not done as well with movies, but it sounds like The Irishman will change that. 

Stranger Things, House of Cards, Black Mirror, and even Orange is the New Black have been culturally relevant and great (never saw oistb though). Narcos was also fantastic and I know people who swear by Ozark.  That is a pretty great track record for shows. 

There are others as well. 

They have not done as well with movies, but it sounds like The Irishman will change that. 
It's all a matter of opinion.  I didn't like most of them, except Narcos.  I like the first 2 seasons of House of Cards, but after that I didn't like it.  I like Marvel movies and collected comics as a kid, but I was very disappointed in all of their Marvel shows except the Punisher.

It's all a matter of opinion.  I didn't like most of them, except Narcos.  I like the first 2 seasons of House of Cards, but after that I didn't like it.  I like Marvel movies and collected comics as a kid, but I was very disappointed in all of their Marvel shows except the Punisher.
I forgot about the Marvel shows. I liked them all other than Jessica Jones really. 

Everyone has their owns tastes, but I think the point is that they have produced good content. More than probably any other network or platform other than HBO in recent years. 

A key thing here is everyone keeps saying that D+ won't take down Netflix.  But I've never said they would.  There are probably a dozen new streaming services scheduled to come out in the next year or so.  And a lot of them will have the backing of big name media companies.  They will be able to put all of their movies or shows currently on TV onto their service.  

Meanwhile Netflix is left to have their own content.  Sure, Netflix is churning out original content, but it sucks.  How many shows has Netflix created that are worth a damn?  Less than 10, I'm guessing.  So in a decade, they've put out about 1 good show a year on average.  And they've put out about 100 shows a year that no one watches.  Their two most watched shows are currently Friends and The Office.  When those two leave, I would imagine they will lose a lot of subscriptions.  People enjoy new content, but streaming services have thrived with old content.  
Depends who you talk to. Some will say orange is the new black, Atypical (which I love given I has Aspergers myself), Santa Clarita Diet was canceled, GLOW for those wrestling fans, Moclumentary of Trailer Park Boys, The Crown, 13 Reasons Why, Narcos Mexico, Norsemen, The Last Kingdom etc. Depends what you like 

They lost their original Marvel Series. Still a lot to choose from but some of these shows if I want them I can just find other means if these are the only things I want to watch now 

I forgot about the Marvel shows. I liked them all other than Jessica Jones really. 

Everyone has their owns tastes, but I think the point is that they have produced good content. More than probably any other network or platform other than HBO in recent years. 
They're making a lot of money so obviously a lot of people like their stuff.  I also know that I'm not alone in my opinion of their content.  I'm going to stay until The Witcher comes out but if it sucks, or after I watch it, I'm most likely going to drop Netflix and go with Hulu and Disney as my main streaming options. 

DJackson10 said:
That makes sense but was more so curious why nothing was done Press wise for them. I guess its just another way for them to get more subs 
They did promote them before as well.

KarmaPolice said:
The video game is great, but not sure how a show is going to turn out.  Interesting property to invest a lot if $ in.  (I think there are a bunch of books too though?) 

They'll probably ruin it to be honest, but a gritty dark fantasy show about a mutant who kills monsters and bangs sorceresses should be just about the most popular show on TV for people looking for somewhere to go post-GOT. Again, if it's done well, which I'm skeptical they'll pull off. But who knows. 

Gr00vus said:
Are they losing shows like Peaky Blinders, Last Kingdom, Schitt's Creek etc.? I know they aren't sole producers, but they have a ton of stuff like that which I don't think will ever make it to something like Disney.

There's a ton of niche and foreign stuff Netflix carries as well that I doubt Disney would touch. I can't see Disney putting out something like Glow either. Netflix has been predicated on taking risks with their own content, they try all kinds of stuff. Sometimes it doesn't work out (e.g. Marco Polo, Disenchanted), but it doesn't deter them from continuing to take risks. That's like the polar opposite of Disney's business model.
I get that this stuff is not what Disney is interested in. 

I guess what I am saying is it feels like we are seeing the beginning of a lot more players in the game.  What if BBC wants to do a streaming option instead of selling their stuff to NF?  Could F/X do the same thing?  AMC?  Etc, etc.    I get that Disney isn't going to make a show like Glow or Narcos any time soon, but what I am envisioning is this is just the start of probably going from the 2-3 main streaming options to many more.   I think the nightmare scenario is instead of cable with dozens of channels, there will be a dozen streaming options where they are lone holder for their shows.  I mean just in the next year we get Disney, HBO, the NBC thingy, Apple +, and I am sure there are others I am not thinking of.  

What I am asking is IF it would start getting to that point do people think NF original stuff is that much better than what you could get with HBO, BBC, F/X, or whatever streaming options might be coming our way?  

They'll probably ruin it to be honest, but a gritty dark fantasy show about a mutant who kills monsters and bangs sorceresses should be just about the most popular show on TV for people looking for somewhere to go post-GOT. Again, if it's done well, which I'm skeptical they'll pull off. But who knows. 
:lol:   Fair point 

I keep forgetting there are books too.  More of a knee-jerk reaction thinking - really has there been many good movies/shows based solely off a video game?  Just felt like another iffy decision by Netflix - kind of like giving hundreds of millions to two dudes that admitted they had little clue what they were doing with GOT.  

Roku Stick+...all of a sudden captioning is permanently on on some titles?

Can't disable it through the * button on the remote. Anyone else?

Coming soon to Disney +. Due to existing agreements this title will be available on June 1, 2021.
WTF, why even put the movie on the service if you can't watch it for almost 2 years???

Unfortunate. The service recognizes that my projector isn't true 4k and only streams in HD. It's like I'm watching a Blu-ray for crying out loud! What is this, 2016?

Tried watching the Mandalorian last night on the FireTV.  No bueno.  Too much buffering.  Will have to try again when half the country isn't trying to stream the same thing.  Everything else worked fine.

coyote5 said:
Just because you didn't enjoy it, doesn't make it not a hit.
Viewership determines it.  And half the things he listed are not considered hits.  I wasn't taking a jab at Cap.  I was just saying shows can be good and not hits.  Better of Ted and Arrested Development were great shows that people loved.  But no one watched them.  So they weren't really hits.  That's all I was saying.

RC94 said:
They're making a lot of money so obviously a lot of people like their stuff.  I also know that I'm not alone in my opinion of their content.  I'm going to stay until The Witcher comes out but if it sucks, or after I watch it, I'm most likely going to drop Netflix and go with Hulu and Disney as my main streaming options. 
I’ve got all 3 (using Hulu live) and Netflix is not the one I’d drop for the other 2. If you don’t like most of those shows then you’ll never like Netflix, but Disney+ is more like a movie library right now for me and not having to buy movies. I watched Mandalorian and I hope it gets better but that’s one original content show I’m interested in whereas there’s still a bunch I haven’t gotten close to watching. I also get HBO Go for free with AT&T so I’d drop Hulu first (if it weren’t free) and then Disney+. Might change over time but I’ll likely keep them all because I’m only really paying $20 per month for HBO, Disney+, Hulu, Netflix and Prime.

Viewership determines it.  And half the things he listed are not considered hits.  I wasn't taking a jab at Cap.  I was just saying shows can be good and not hits.  Better of Ted and Arrested Development were great shows that people loved.  But no one watched them.  So they weren't really hits.  That's all I was saying.
Does Netflix release numbers? I know stranger things was a monumental hit. Pretty sure house of cards was too for a while at least. 

Orange is the new black too, which I’ve never seen. 

KarmaPolice said:
I still stand by my statement that their original content isnt near as good as other outlets.  I think that will catch up to them over time, especially if Disney is able to nail some of these Marvel and Star Wars shows.  IMO Netflix seems to be more interested in pushing quantity over quality.  

With all these options, people will be making choices I would think.  
They have to push quantity.  It's not a secret.  Reed Hastings has said that pretty much outright.  It reminds me when Blockbuster and Netflix were both competing and they would put any title they could online.  Didn't matter how bad it was.  It could be a video of a Yule log.  But it counted towards their library total.  

The Mandalorian was okay. The shootout with the IG-88 type droid was fun.
I was definitely underwhelmed. I’ll continue to watch, but I may cancel quicker than I thought. It’s a nice movie library, but that’s it if that show stays more Return of the Jedi cute, like the old guy and fat horse.

Does Netflix release numbers? I know stranger things was a monumental hit. Pretty sure house of cards was too for a while at least. 

They don't officially.  But you can see which shows get the most publicity when premiering.  That's how the industry has been monitoring the streaming guys.

And, look, I want to point out I'm just speculating.  I don't know for sure, obviously.  At this point, no one is right or wrong.  It's just my opinion that Netflix will not be around to see the empire they created. :shrug:

I don’t want to label, but I think there are Disney fanboys who will put them on a pedestal. I love Marvel and Star Wars but Disney+ is extremely limited right now. If I or my boys want to rewatch a movie, it’s fine but there’s nothing new. I’ve watched the only new episode I can watch.

KarmaPolice said:
I sifted through for about 30mins last night.  Sure, stuff I will watch with the kids, but nothing that I wanted to watch or add to my list for myself.  Highly doubt I would pay for this if I didn't have kids.  
Gonna watch Black Hole and then the Star Wars series and then I am out. 

KarmaPolice said:
Game is based on a book series.

In a similar boat.  I haven't seen the last two Avengers movies, so I'll watch those.  Unless the Mandalorian is so good I want to have it constantly available, I'm not sure there is much to keep me around.

There are a couple oldies that probably would be fun to watch.  20,000 Leagues, Black Cauldron, etc..  

I know I am poo-pooing the service for myself, but I would be lying if I said I wasn't at least a little bit pumped to have access to the Pixar library and not have to spend $ on those.  I am sure I will re-watch a few Marvel movies too.

Are they going to be lax on the login sharing like other streaming services?  Asking for a friend.  :oldunsure:  

Users who are viewing this thread