Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Have you ever voted for a Republican presidential candidate in the general election?


Juxtatarot

Have you ever voted for a Republican presidential candidate in the general election?  

192 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

17 hours ago, krista4 said:

Reading comprehension of the title down, jerkface?  (Note to mods, I'm not really serious about his being a jerkface.  This time, at least.)

I liked both Bob Dole and Jack Kemp.  Still think they were both great candidates.

What could have been with this guy.

My all-time favorite leader who never won the big one.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, krista4 said:

I’ve lived for six years now in a state where voting is by mail.  I think a lot of young adults miss out on that anticipation, followed by that disappointment, that you describe.  :) 

Just filled out my mail-in this AM.

I miss the honor I always felt while standing in line.

Sorry if I cancelled out most of your votes, @krista4    😜

  • Laughing 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I voted Republican most of my adult life, last with Romney in 2012. I never agreed with the GOP stances on social issues but my degree is in finance and I own a business so republican economic theory always made sense to me and I always felt like the democrat establishment was full of crap (still do).

Then life hit me HARD, mostly with my health. Ironically my income actually went UP in this time, but my perspective started to change and be more sympathetic to people who would be ruined financially in the same situation. 

This all happened at the same time Bernie was gaining steam and it was a wrap.  It was a bit of a "when the student is ready, the teacher will appear" moment for me.

Edited by KiddLattimer
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bush in 2004 (I was young and stupid)

Obama twice (he ended up disappointing me but what else was I gonna do?)

Held my nose and voted for Clinton even though I swore to myself I wouldn't. Wish I had stuck to my guns on that one.

The only one of those votes that mattered was Obama in 2008, all others were cast in a solid blue state.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I voted for GWB in 2000 as my one and only vote for a Republican in a Presidential election. There are numerous I times I either wrote in a 3rd party vote or refrained from voting. Clinton in '96 was my first vote for a President and also my only vote for a Democratic Presidential candidate. Buttigieg would likely break the 1-1 tie I've got going right now if he someone wins the nomination. Otherwise I'm likely sitting this one out. The thought of voting an entire Party ticket is gross to me.

ETA: Bernie would have made my tally 2 Dems, 1 Reps in 2016 if the democratic party hadn't anointed Hilary. And he would have beaten Trump too, because people like me who stayed home would've come out for him.

Edited by Mr Anonymous
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, identikit said:

Just filled out my mail-in this AM.

I miss the honor I always felt while standing in line.

Sorry if I cancelled out most of your votes, @krista4    😜

Wait, you’re living in WA?  I didn’t realize that.  Where are you?

I hope you enjoyed the eleventy billion advisory votes on taxes as much as I did.

  • Laughing 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Maurile Tremblay said:

I voted no, but that's kind of misleading on this score. I preferred George H.W. Bush to Bill Clinton, but voted for Ross Perot. (In hindsight, I am embarrassed about this.) I preferred Bob Dole to Bill Clinton, but voted for Harry Brown. I preferred George W. Bush to Al Gore, but voted for Harry Brown again. I was largely undecided between McCain vs. Obama and Romney vs. Obama, and didn't vote in either election. In 2016, I had a hard time deciding between Clinton and Johnson. (I had ruled out Trump immediately for obvious reasons.) I ended up supporting Johnson, but would have voted for Clinton if I'd been in a swing state.

Similar to my voting patterns.  I have occasionally preferred the Republican over the Democrat yet still voted independent.  I have not yet preferred the Democrat over the Republican but would say that is extremely likely in the upcoming.  I vote to encourage third party politics yet could not vote for Perot.  Usually the Libertarians get my vote, but not always.  The one exception would be John Anderson.  I suppose he counts to the Republican party, though when I voted for him he was declared independent. I do note that his effort to push Christianity into our constitution deeply disturbed me, but by the time I voted for him that was well in his past.  Still, had I thought he might win, well I don't know that he would have got my vote.

Edited by Ditkaless Wonders
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, krista4 said:

Wait, you’re living in WA?  I didn’t realize that.  Where are you?

I hope you enjoyed the eleventy billion advisory votes on taxes as much as I did.

Just south of Seattle.

Land of Southcenter Mall

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, AAABatteries said:

One thing I find interesting about this poll and the change that has taken place in these forums over the last 10 years is typically you hear that it goes the other way.  The when you are young you are liberal and then you become conservative as you age.  

I've gone the other way, generally.   I always voted Republican ...until 2016, when I voted for the Mormon guy.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I remember voting for George HW. Bush in a fake 'election' in 1st grade because he was the President and people seemed to like him. That's as close as I got.

I remember not really knowing or caring about the President when Clinton was in office. In retrospect, I really hate what he (and Hillary) did to the Democratic party -- mostly pushing it right in an effort to increase electability. I'm a big fan of the New Deal wing/history of the Democratic party and I feel like Clinton is a primary reason it was abandoned (along with lack of then recent election success, to be fair).

Thought George W. Bush was the worst thing ever while I was a 'rebel' liberal kid in rural Nebraska. In retrospect I hate him less than the people he surrounded himself with and what their political goals were (including lots of anger of getting us into an overseas war -- I was getting to the age where that would might matter for me quite a bit, if things went a certain way). I believe now that he wasn't a particularly bad person or anything, kind of 'along for the ride' with the Neocon government he put around himself.

Wanted Obama to be President since I saw him in on TV in '04. Went to college in Iowa for the '08 election, caucused for Obama and have lots of really happy memories of that campaign season and the early days. Think he was overall a very good President, but one who (like Bush) fell in line with dominant part of the Party when push came to shove. He continued some bad policies and didn't live up to his rhetoric in some other things. Still easily the best President of my lifetime, though.

Gave a ton of money to Bernie in '16 and really wanted him to win, ended up begrudgingly voting for Hillary after months of warning my even more liberal friends that I was worried she could lose to Trump.

At this point, I couldn't ever see myself voting for a Republican President, barring a massive change in what that means.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was a pretty staunch Republican in my younger days (I interned for a GOP Congressman, the Heritage Foundation, and the American Legislative Exchange Council back when I was in college), but I'm surprised I'm a "no" here.  I supported Bob Dole in '96, but was just a hair too young.  I remember agonizing over W. and Gore before finally picking Gore; I think he was the first Democrat I ever voted for.  I still voted in NJ at that time, and I think there was a difference between GOP on a NJ level and national level then -- I really liked Christie Whitman, Tom Kean, etc.  When I started voting in VA, I became a lot more Democrat than Republican.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Ghost Rider said:

Twice, yes, W. in '00 and Romney in '12.  Perot got my vote in both '92 and '96, Kerry in '04, Obama in '08 and Gary Johnson in '16. 

Interesting pattern.

Did the incumbent (the ones you voted for) disappoint you to the point that you voted against them at their re-election time?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, identikit said:

Interesting pattern.

Did the incumbent (the ones you voted for) disappoint you to the point that you voted against them at their re-election time?

Not so much disappointed as underwhelmed. And anyone who knows me knows I have low regard for most politicians, so one has to impress the heck out of me for me to want to give them a second term (or more, in the case of Congresspersons).  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My voting history starting in 1988 (The year I turned 18)

 

George Bush 1988

Bill Clinton 1992

Bill Clinton 1996

George W Bush 2000

John Kerry 2004

Barack Obama 2008

Mitt Romney 2012

Hillary Clinton (and I held my nose tightly) 2016

 

I was a registered Republican my entire life until I changed to Democrat for this upcoming election. Not because I intend to vote Democrat at the general, but because I want to vote in the primary in my home state of Florida (like it will really matter). 

 

To be frank I am disengaged from both party's now. One is way too much to the left and the other way too much to the right and no one wants to be a moderate anymore. It is ridiculous. The reason Our country has thrived since 1776 is because we were able to meet in the middle and right now the country is upside down. It is so sad. 

 

Anyway. God bless us and God bless the United States Of America.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Todem said:

My voting history starting in 1988 (The year I turned 18)

 

George Bush 1988

Bill Clinton 1992

Bill Clinton 1996

George W Bush 2000

John Kerry 2004

Barack Obama 2008

Mitt Romney 2012

Hillary Clinton (and I held my nose tightly) 2016

 

I was a registered Republican my entire life until I changed to Democrat for this upcoming election. Not because I intend to vote Democrat at the general, but because I want to vote in the primary in my home state of Florida (like it will really matter). 

 

To be frank I am disengaged from both party's now. One is way too much to the left and the other way too much to the right and no one wants to be a moderate anymore. It is ridiculous. The reason Our country has thrived since 1776 is because we were able to meet in the middle and right now the country is upside down. It is so sad. 

 

Anyway. God bless us and God bless the United States Of America.

Interesting pattern you got there...

1988-96:   R,   D,   D

2000-08:   R,   D,   D

2012-20:   R,   D,   :whistle:

Edited by VandyMan
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/2/2019 at 5:19 PM, Maurile Tremblay said:

I voted no, but that's kind of misleading on this score. I preferred George H.W. Bush to Bill Clinton, but voted for Ross Perot. (In hindsight, I am embarrassed about this.) I preferred Bob Dole to Bill Clinton, but voted for Harry Brown. I preferred George W. Bush to Al Gore, but voted for Harry Brown again. I was largely undecided between McCain vs. Obama and Romney vs. Obama, and didn't vote in either election. In 2016, I had a hard time deciding between Clinton and Johnson. (I had ruled out Trump immediately for obvious reasons.) I ended up supporting Johnson, but would have voted for Clinton if I'd been in a swing state.

Ha, the mythical Johnson voter strikes again!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've voted for one Democrat for President, John Kerry.  Didn't particularly like Kerry but was disgusted by how Bush/GOP used 9/11 to drag us into war in Iraq.  Voted Johnson the last two elections.  Have voted Republican probably 5-1 in local state/races.  Have no plans to vote for any Republicans above the local level for the foreseeable future.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Mr. Ham said:

I can't wait to out this entire era behind me.

I'm with you there...Just hoping we can make some structural reforms to make us stronger going forward, return to more decency in politics and interpersonal communications, and move forward to a better future.

The mood was pretty toxic in 2016 leading up to the election, and I still have serious doubts if things would've turned out better if Hillary had been elected, and all of the discontent was forced under the covers again to fester, to be riled up by Trump and his cronies, and any investigations into bad behavior would be even less legitimate as conducted by a Hillary admin which likely would've been stonewalled by a unified GOP front.

I think Trump winning may have been the best outcome for the country, oddly enough, assuming we can get through all the pain it caused with an intact democracy and return to some version of normal.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've voted Bush, Bush, McCain & Johnson.

I couldn't vote for Trump or Clinton.  Two worst candidates I've seen in my lifetime.  I'll probably vote D this election if Trump is the nominee.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/2/2019 at 7:34 PM, krista4 said:

I’ve lived for six years now in a state where voting is by mail.  I think a lot of young adults miss out on that anticipation, followed by that disappointment, that you describe.  :) 

Voting by mail may be anticlimactic, but waiting for new results to come in through the mail every day for a week ain't boring. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, The Narrator said:

Voting by mail may be anticlimactic, but waiting for new results to come in through the mail every day for a week ain't boring. 

How's it looking?  Last I saw there was a one vote difference?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/3/2019 at 8:50 AM, KiddLattimer said:

I voted Republican most of my adult life, last with Romney in 2012. I never agreed with the GOP stances on social issues but my degree is in finance and I own a business so republican economic theory always made sense to me and I always felt like the democrat establishment was full of crap (still do).

Then life hit me HARD, mostly with my health. Ironically my income actually went UP in this time, but my perspective started to change and be more sympathetic to people who would be ruined financially in the same situation. 

This all happened at the same time Bernie was gaining steam and it was a wrap.  It was a bit of a "when the student is ready, the teacher will appear" moment for me.

I’m sorry for your health issues.  Unfortunately, this country doesn’t help people enough with those and spends most of our lives trying to convince us it’s our own fault for having health issues. Hope things are better. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Henry Ford said:

I’m sorry for your health issues.  Unfortunately, this country doesn’t help people enough with those and spends most of our lives trying to convince us it’s our own fault for having health issues. Hope things are better. 

Thank you I appreciate the nice words, Things are on the uptick (I think/hope). People have had it WAY worse than me though but it was definitely eye opening.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
  • Create New...