What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Polos - For work (1 Viewer)

:no: long sleeve should be a sweater or button-down

sweatshirt if it's casual Friday. maybe a crewneck long sleeve even but not a long sleeve polo.
yeah, I'm in the no long-sleeve polo camp... dunno why but they just don't look right.

if I'm ever wearing something long-sleeved, it's a dress shirt or a flannel (which is over a t-shirt)

Not having to wear a suit does not mean you have to wear tan khakis and a polo shirt.
That’s a narrow interpretation of the converse.

Is it the “Dockers” style chino pants that are objectionable? Is it the color khaki? Or both together?

My assumption is that you and Otis wouldn’t be down with $500 black slacks paired with a $200 polo/golf shirt in an everyday casual office environment, either. But I could just be reading that into your responses.

I can’t think of a way to more clearly tell your superiors that you’re a schlub with no interest in advancement.
This is dependent of field, specific job, and region. Not everyone is in the Northeast working law, finance, or politics.

Around here, from April through October ... being dripping wet with sweat in a suit-&-tie is a much worse look than looking cool & fresh in a polo & slacks. For those locally that must present themselves in a suit ... often an entire ensemble is left on a hanger in the office and not worn until right before the court appearance/client meeting /etc.

The work culture is just different. Walking around the office in a suit, in most white-collar places around here, doesn’t give anyone any extra cachet. Really.

Maybe the worst look in the history or male fashion. Still amazed people do this. I can’t think of a way to more clearly tell your superiors that you’re a schlub with no interest in advancement. Or a high school kid being forced to go to church with the family. 
Superiors?

This is FBGs; we have no "superiors". :rolleyes:

That’s a narrow interpretation of the converse.

Is it the “Dockers” style chino pants that are objectionable? Is it the color khaki? Or both together?

My assumption is that you and Otis wouldn’t be down with $500 black slacks paired with a $200 polo/golf shirt in an everyday casual office environment, either. But I could just be reading that into your responses.
I much prefer this to the khaki dockers look.  Nice dark colored slacks with a tucked in, fitted, nice polo shirt and nice polished shoes can work in certain limited circumstances.  I’ve done this on work retreats.  But in the office?  It’s not that hard to throw on a button down shirt.  

Wait...they still make cheap cotton polo shirts? And people still buy them?

I just sort of assumed that invention of performance blends like you see in basically every brand name golf shirt had killed the cotton polo shirt industry. Yeah, it sucks to spend 75 dollars on something that once cost 20, but you get a quality product that lasts longer, holds it's shape and fits way better 

But also, Otis is right....if you're working somewhere that requires "business casual", you're much better off going with a button down most of the time. You don't need to go full Bill Lumberg, but pretty much every men's-wear chain has like a 3 for 99 dollars sale a couple of times a year if cost is an issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Who wants to wear dress shirts? And who wants to wear long sleeves? No thanks.
I do. So much better looking than crappy polo shirts. Although I think I have like 10 plaid dress shirts... And only 5 others that have a pattern. I never wear a solid color either.

The only time I wear those is when I'm out in the field and need to rep my brand.

Otis said:
I'm convinced most of you guys dress like Jake.
Yep. And love it. No need to hassle with dress shirts, ironing, the added heat, etc.

Our company actually just amended their dress policy giving employees even more flexibility. They call it dress for your day. Friday's was already jean day which I usually do with aforementioned polo (tucked in then, I'm not a total slob). If I wanted I could wear jeans every day but still usually stick with my khakis mon-thu.

Also, AZ is a dry heat, yeah, but wearing excess clothes in 115 degree temps is just dumb if you don't have to.

When I went to DC a few years ago in the summer I wept for all the dudes running around in the capitol in full suits. Any humidity would be brutal in a monkey suit.

Yep. And love it. No need to hassle with dress shirts, ironing, the added heat, etc.

Our company actually just amended their dress policy giving employees even more flexibility. They call it dress for your day. Friday's was already jean day which I usually do with aforementioned polo (tucked in then, I'm not a total slob). If I wanted I could wear jeans every day but still usually stick with my khakis mon-thu.

Also, AZ is a dry heat, yeah, but wearing excess clothes in 115 degree temps is just dumb if you don't have to.

When I went to DC a few years ago in the summer I wept for all the dudes running around in the capitol in full suits. Any humidity would be brutal in a monkey suit.
The jean-Polo look is better untucked unless you are fat or have ill fitting shirts.

-recovering fattie

NYC is similarly painful.  Especially for those of us with a bunch of talking and subway rides.  Those platforms are hell on earth.

I’d still prefer some sweat for those 10 minutes on the platform to the polo and khakis look the entire day. 

For a regular boring 9-5 job, nice khakis and a short sleeve polo shirt are fine.
Yup.  I sit at a desk all day and barely interact with anyone face to face.  The fact they make me get out of bed to do this job is mindbottling.  

When I go onsite, it's "down" with the blue collar workers, so I'm usually wearing work pants and a untucked polo or UA compression shirts.  But because I'm a big guy, they aren't skin tight.  I love them.  I used to complain about this all of the time (even on here) and UA is the first company that started making their shirts for L, XL and XXL that weren't skin tight.  Because dad bods don't want to be accentuated.  

It's the off season in MN so you can get good deals on polos.

At Golf Galaxy this weekend I picked up shirts from Oakley and Foot Joy for about $25 each. Normally $70 shirts.

You guys are wearing shirts that cost $9-$20 and wonder why they suck?  My lunch usually cost $9.  Add me to the list of Nike/ UnderArmour, etc.  The performance fabrics hold up well.

Yup.  I sit at a desk all day and barely interact with anyone face to face.
This points to what I think is a big disconnect in this thread.

Some guys have jobs where it's important and measurably (?) effective to project status. Jobs where you're at a real disadvantage if you're not good-looking, not thin/athletic, don't drive a late-model expensive-ish car -- and don't dress to a certain standard well-known to that circle.

There are a bunch of other kinds of jobs that are like you describe. Many -- if not dang near all -- of these kinds of jobs are low human-interaction positions. You can put on an Armani suit every day to park in front of a laptop 8 hours a day and crunch spreadsheets -- but nobody from up high is going to pass through and point you out because you're outdressing the other analysts. Putting on $1500 every morning, in roles such as these, does nothing to advance your career. You're not virtually "interviewing" or "networking" every waking moment. Your under the hood, making the engine run.

It is what it is. Not every guy can stay invisible and remain happy in their job -- and vice versa, not everyone can be comfortable being a charismatic fashion plate -- someone who has to be "on" in front of status-judging people all the time.

Doug B said:
This points to what I think is a big disconnect in this thread.

Some guys have jobs where it's important and measurably (?) effective to project status. Jobs where you're at a real disadvantage if you're not good-looking, not thin/athletic, don't drive a late-model expensive-ish car -- and don't dress to a certain standard well-known to that circle.

There are a bunch of other kinds of jobs that are like you describe. Many -- if not dang near all -- of these kinds of jobs are low human-interaction positions. You can put on an Armani suit every day to park in front of a laptop 8 hours a day and crunch spreadsheets -- but nobody from up high is going to pass through and point you out because you're outdressing the other analysts. Putting on $1500 every morning, in roles such as these, does nothing to advance your career. You're not virtually "interviewing" or "networking" every waking moment. Your under the hood, making the engine run.

It is what it is. Not every guy can stay invisible and remain happy in their job -- and vice versa, not everyone can be comfortable being a charismatic fashion plate -- someone who has to be "on" in front of status-judging people all the time.
I've found that in my career, the less I stand out, the better my career arc.  

Users who are viewing this thread