What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

what "upgrade" was worth it? (1 Viewer)

Sorry, i did read through your other posts and it seems to be quite the coincidence. There was someone that was a doctor from Hawaii from another fantasy football site that did not drink. I even went skiing with him in Vail a few years ago, which makes your previous post all the more suspect.

However he did not have a 20 year old kid, as one of your previous posts mentions. Just a coincidence it seems, sorry for the confusion.
No problem. I just signed up for a conference at Vail in February, so I may run into your buddy there.

I’m not sure. It’s my vision we’re talking about. And it’s just a minor inconvenience and modest cost for my contacts. 
Yup.  This is where I've been at, as well.  It sucks to wear contacts, but honestly, I change mine every month or so.  For the most part, I don't even notice them.  

I’m not sure. It’s my vision we’re talking about. And it’s just a minor inconvenience and modest cost for my contacts. 

Yup.  This is where I've been at, as well.  It sucks to wear contacts, but honestly, I change mine every month or so.  For the most part, I don't even notice them.  
I was in the same boat (20+ years ago) and went ahead and did Lasik.  As stated previously, it is the best money I have ever spent.  Once you do it you will feel the same way.  Sure there are risks and I get the "you only have one set of eyes" aspect of it but life is so much better not having to deal with contacts/glasses.  It seems like no big deal while you are in the habit of dealing with them until you don't have to deal with them anymore.  Then it is a freedom that is very refreshing and you cannot imagine ever having to go back to dealing with it ever again. 

I was in the same boat (20+ years ago) and went ahead and did Lasik.  As stated previously, it is the best money I have ever spent.  Once you do it you will feel the same way.  Sure there are risks and I get the "you only have one set of eyes" aspect of it but life is so much better not having to deal with contacts/glasses.  It seems like no big deal while you are in the habit of dealing with them until you don't have to deal with them anymore.  Then it is a freedom that is very refreshing and you cannot imagine ever having to go back to dealing with it ever again. 
Sure, everything is great once it's over and went perfectly.  A lot of people hate falling out of planes, but the people who did and survived probably don't look back either.

Sure, everything is great once it's over and went perfectly.  A lot of people hate falling out of planes, but the people who did and survived probably don't look back either.
My point was that I had the exact same reservations and put it off a long time because I didn't think it would make much difference.  Sure there is a miniscule risk, and I am saying that risk (which I was very worried about) was worth it. 

It is an immediate improvement from a 1 minute procedure. 

An upgrade I can't wait for is my vehicle.  I've been driving a 2004 Toyota Corolla for about 9 years now and I am SO ready for something new.  And I will buy new, probably an SUV of some sort.  Can't wait for that new car smell and for a nicer ride.

TSA Pre-check

Global Entry

CLEAR

(Some duplication, but all of the above are worth it depending on airport)

$275 upgrade from Premium Economy to Business for flight from India to US.

Seems like a common sequence of events, yet the nervous nellies are convinced it's more dangerous than BASE jumping. Then again, the throngs of sightless Lasik victims probably aren't posting their horror stories here.

One thhings holding me back from Lasik is my doc told me that it would affect my night vision, like more halos around lights when driving.  I already feel I have some issues with this.  Is this true?

One thhings holding me back from Lasik is my doc told me that it would affect my night vision, like more halos around lights when driving.  I already feel I have some issues with this.  Is this true?
My younger brother said this happened to him.  My older brother said it didn't happen to him.  So it might be dependent on certain things, of which I don't know what they would be.

I also have terrible night vision.  And if it's raining at night, I'm pretty much legally blind.

There was a bit more of a halo affect with lights at night but it wasn't bad and was easy to get used to.  It wasn't a big deal for me. 

The willingness of some of you to have your eyes operated on due to vainness or laziness is astounding to me. There your eyes people, your freaking eyes! 
Vainness or laziness? I got it done because without glasses or contacts I couldn’t see a darn thing. I did it because I hated dropping a contact or having one fall out and crawling around looking for it. I did it because I hated getting something under my contact and wanting to rip my eyeball out. I did it because I hated getting eye infections. 

It was easily one of the best decisions I’ve ever made and to me of the largest quality of life improvements. Everyone that I know that has had it done feels the same way. 

I get why someone may not want to get it done,  but if your eyesight is bad enough and you’re a good candidate for LASIK, I think it will likely be well worth it. 

GroveDiesel said:
Vainness or laziness? I got it done because without glasses or contacts I couldn’t see a darn thing. I did it because I hated dropping a contact or having one fall out and crawling around looking for it. I did it because I hated getting something under my contact and wanting to rip my eyeball out. I did it because I hated getting eye infections. 

It was easily one of the best decisions I’ve ever made and to me of the largest quality of life improvements. Everyone that I know that has had it done feels the same way. 

I get why someone may not want to get it done,  but if your eyesight is bad enough and you’re a good candidate for LASIK, I think it will likely be well worth it. 
I can't see crap without my glasses and no way would I get this done. My buddy is an eye doc and he thinks its a HUGE risk to take, so no thanks

TheIronSheik said:
My younger brother said this happened to him.  My older brother said it didn't happen to him.  So it might be dependent on certain things, of which I don't know what they would be.

I also have terrible night vision.  And if it's raining at night, I'm pretty much legally blind.
Ditto, it's scary as heck.  I try my best to avoid driving in these conditions.

Ditto, it's scary as heck.  I try my best to avoid driving in these conditions.
I don't really have to drive at night too much anymore seeing as I'm old and go to bed early.  But this time of the year sucks.  I get off work at 4:30 and am home by 5, so I do drive in darkness for about  a month for a little bit.  But if I have to work late during this time frame, and it rains, my anxiety levels are through the roof.  

Buddy Ball 2K3 said:
The willingness of some of you to have your eyes operated on due to vainness or laziness is astounding to me. They're your eyes people, your freaking eyes! 

GroveDiesel said:

I got it done because I played a lot of sports and glasses/contacts was a pain to deal with and affected everything I did.  I was extremely hesitant and it took a few years before I finally decided to take the plunge.  It had nothing to do with being vain or lazy.  It was a lifestyle issue and it was a huge benefit.  I understand the apprehension but I would do it over again in a heartbeat.....and will be looking into a touchup because my long site is getting a little blurry after having the procedure done over 20 years ago. 

Buddy Ball 2K3 said:
The willingness of some of you to have your eyes operated on due to vainness or laziness is astounding to me. They're your eyes people, your freaking eyes! 
Even as someone with only one eye, I totally see this.

I got it done because I played a lot of sports and glasses/contacts was a pain to deal with and affected everything I did.  I was extremely hesitant and it took a few years before I finally decided to take the plunge.  It had nothing to do with being vain or lazy.  It was a lifestyle issue and it was a huge benefit.  I understand the apprehension but I would do it over again in a heartbeat.....and will be looking into a touchup because my long site is getting a little blurry after having the procedure done over 20 years ago. 
Did you do it with a place that will do the touchup for free?

Did you do it with a place that will do the touchup for free?
Supposedly.  That was part of the "warranty".  However, that was 20+ years ago and I am sure there were some fine print associated with that.  It is definitely something I am going to bring up and push for once I decide to look into it. 

Supposedly.  That was part of the "warranty".  However, that was 20+ years ago and I am sure there were some fine print associated with that.  It is definitely something I am going to bring up and push for once I decide to look into it. 
I know my place said that you need to do check ups with your optometrist every couple of years for the warranty to be honored.   

Don't know if it's fits here but I've bought two extended warranties on my Mercedes and paid a total of ~$9k.  My service advisor recently told me that they have paid out ~$75k on my car. :shock:  

100% agree

had glasses since 9 years old . started wearing contacts in mid teens . thought about lasik in my 30's but my thinking was glasses and contacts are an inconvenience but a screwed up eye surgery was scary and wasn't worth the risk. finally got it don in my 40's and it was the best thing ive done  

100% agree

had glasses since 9 years old . started wearing contacts in mid teens . thought about lasik in my 30's but my thinking was glasses and contacts are an inconvenience but a screwed up eye surgery was scary and wasn't worth the risk. finally got it don in my 40's and it was the best thing ive done  
Ive thought about it, but the glasses are part of my fashion statement, and getting my eyes fixed then wearing vanity glasses is too much even for me.

I have not read this whole thread BUT, these are my upgrades I think are worth every penny

-Getting a cabana at any water park. Ive spent between $80 and $200 on one and it is so worth it. Dont fight with the masses for seats, you get privacy and people get you your food. Its a must for me. EVERY.SINGLE.TIME 

-MAxPass at Disneyland- Saves me walking back and forth across the park for fastpasses. Sign me up

Hiring a professional Christmas tree lighting guy.  

Sounds weird, I know.  We have always had a large tree (12ft - 14ft) - and I cannot count the number of years my wife has been brought to tears from the frustrations of getting the several thousand lights strung and working.  Finding which light is creating the problem, stringing and restringing ...up and down the ladder.  

Complete meltdowns.  

Three years ago I saw an ad in one of those monthly door hanger flyers for Christmas decorating services.  Guy is here now - wife is out shopping and I am watching football with a drink.  Takes anywhere from 2 to 4 hours ...guy charges around $65-$75.  I'd pay a lot more (give him a good tip too).  

Wife will come home ...tree will be all ready to hang ornaments (which she loves) and no meltdowns.  

It's heaven.  

Sounds weird, I know.  We have always had a large tree (12ft - 14ft) - and I cannot count the number of years my wife has been brought to tears from the frustrations of getting the several thousand lights strung and working.  Finding which light is creating the problem, stringing and restringing ...up and down the ladder.  

Complete meltdowns.  

Three years ago I saw an ad in one of those monthly door hanger flyers for Christmas decorating services.  Guy is here now - wife is out shopping and I am watching football with a drink.  Takes anywhere from 2 to 4 hours ...guy charges around $65-$75.  I'd pay a lot more (give him a good tip too).  

Wife will come home ...tree will be all ready to hang ornaments (which she loves) and no meltdowns.  

It's heaven.  
that this is a thing actually surprised me

Complete meltdowns.  

It's heaven.  
Another good one. I haven’t put up my own lights in a few years. Pay someone else to climb up to the second story on ladders and hang those big lit wreaths in the windows. 

Don't know if it's fits here but I've bought two extended warranties on my Mercedes and paid a total of ~$9k.  My service advisor recently told me that they have paid out ~$75k on my car. :shock:  
This sounds like the ole let's inflate the repair numbers so much that our customers will feel like a BOSS and keep buying warranties. 

I'll guess they used that same line 5x...that day?

Complete meltdowns.  

It's heaven.  
Wow that is cheap

All the decorations are yours? They just charge labor?

comfortably numb said:
Wow that is cheap

All the decorations are yours? They just charge labor?
This is just for our main large tree (artificial)in the living room - it already has several thousand lights but is about 10 years old - so there are numerous strands of lights that don't work when we pull it out each year.  This guy unweaves those strands and puts in new ones.  The light strands are wrapped around a lot of the branches and not just "draped" around the tree so it's a giant pain in the ###. 

We only do simple outside lighting around the door with a wreath - but if we did ...I would use this guy as well.  I don't do that stuff ...or lawn maintenance.  

Users who are viewing this thread