What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Vapers threaten to vote against Trump (1 Viewer)

Regulating the addictive drug will certainly have effects upon the addicts.  Large enough impacts that it could cause them to vote on the issue.  Hell, there were one issue voters on pot regulation.  We saw the response this country had to alcohol prohibition, forget voting, people died over that one.  imagine the backlash if Starbucks was outlawed.  Way less addictive but I bet substantial votes would change on such legislation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Regulating the addictive drug will certainly have effects upon the addicts.  large enough impacts that it could cause them to vote on the issue.  hell, there were one issue voters on pot regulation.  We saw the response this country had to alcohol prohibition, forget voting, people died over that one.  imagine the backlash if Starbucks was outlawed.  Way less addictive but I bet substantial votes would change on such legislation.
That would be the first time my wife ever got involved in politics.

Regulating the addictive drug will certainly have effects upon the addicts.  Large enough impacts that it could cause them to vote on the issue.  Hell, there were one issue voters on pot regulation.  We saw the response this country had to alcohol prohibition, forget voting, people died over that one.  imagine the backlash if Starbucks was outlawed.  Way less addictive but I bet substantial votes would change on such legislation.
I think you underestimate the effect of Pumpkin Spice on white suburban women.

Maybe some kind country could produce a Facebook "campaign" to dissuade these Trump voters from voting.

But ... what about the shrinkage?

On topic: I tried vaping; a few different things. I never liked it that much. However, I think that I did it wrong with the tobacco. It could not be that harsh by intent ... could it? 

I felt like this guy.
Once you find “your flavor” and strength it’s a very different experience. Which is why people freak out about their flavors. 

At one point I was two packs of pall mall unfiltered per day.  I now use a vape pen most of the day.

It's a pretty big quality of life difference.  I recommend visiting the vape thread in the FFA if you're interested.
“Here's the news: I am going to sue the Brown & Williamson Tobacco Company, manufacturers of Pall Mall cigarettes, for a billion bucks! Starting when I was only twelve years old, I have never chain-smoked anything but unfiltered Pall Malls. And for many years now, right on the package, Brown & Williamson have promised to kill me. 
But I am eighty-two. Thanks a lot, you dirty rats. The last thing I ever wanted was to be alive when the three most powerful people on the whole planet would be named Bush, **** and Colon.”

Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

“Here's the news: I am going to sue the Brown & Williamson Tobacco Company, manufacturers of Pall Mall cigarettes, for a billion bucks! Starting when I was only twelve years old, I have never chain-smoked anything but unfiltered Pall Malls. And for many years now, right on the package, Brown & Williamson have promised to kill me. 
But I am eighty-two. Thanks a lot, you dirty rats. The last thing I ever wanted was to be alive when the three most powerful people on the whole planet would be named Bush, **** and Colon.”

Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country
Great quote. 

Once you find “your flavor” and strength it’s a very different experience. Which is why people freak out about their flavors. 
Makes sense.

I used some pipe tobacco that probably was not suited for vaping. I got it free at the local head shop, as they throw it in for appearances whenever alternative smoking devices are sold.

I'll check out the vaping thread your mentioned earlier.

Wait, are you saying you used tobacco in an herbal vaporizer?  Because that's not at all the same thing.
LOL. Yeah. I'm a ####### extraordinaire. 

I bought a vaporizer for flower/herb and popped in some pipe tobacco. (Edit: Curiosity. I did not buy it for tobacco.)

After first draw, I knew that I had done something wrong.

LOL. Yeah. I'm a ####### extraordinaire. 

I bought a vaporizer for flower/herb and popped in some pipe tobacco. (Edit: Curiosity. I did not buy it for tobacco.)

After first draw, I knew that I had done something wrong.
Gotcha. Vaping nicotine involves using a battery-powered hand-held device and a pod or tank filled with flavored nicotine liquid.  It vaporizes the liquid and nicotine.  No whole tobacco is used.

Trump reportedly shelved a ban on flavored e-cigarettes to avoid angering voters

President Donald Trump reportedly stalled a planned ban on flavored e-cigarettes, intended to combat a rise in teenage vaping, after hearing such a ban could alienate voters and hurt his chances of reelection.

The president backed off from vaping restrictions after political advisers and lobbyists warned him supporters might push back, The New York Times reported.

Vapers win
Such moral courage in a President.

I'm not arguing if they should or shouldn't be banned, but who didn't see this coming. Trump's waffles and flip flops alot. Reminds me of all his concern about gun violence until the gun lobby reminded him of their power and then, nah no big deal.

Seriously the guy is a patsy for the vaping corporations?  He really must need every million dollar he could get which is funny given how he loves to tell people how rich he is.

The thing that makes no sense is that the majority of vapors that I see (and see too many of them) are either too young to vote, don't vote because they don't care, or are democrats who probably won't vote for them.  is there really a strong conservative voice among these vapors.

Where are you seeing this? Everything I've seen, including your link says "may be backing away.".
You're right, that's fair. Here's the report:

Trump Retreats From Flavor Ban for E-Cigarettes

Advisers say the president pulled back from proposed restrictions intended to curb teenage vaping after he was warned of the political fallout among voters.

....But two months later, under pressure from his political advisers and lobbyists to factor in the potential pushback from his supporters, Mr. Trump has resisted moving forward with any action on vaping, while saying he still wants to study the issue.

Even a watered-down ban on flavored e-cigarettes that exempted menthol, which was widely expected, appears to have been set aside, for now.

On a flight on Nov. 4, while traveling to a political rally in Kentucky, Mr. Trump was swayed by the advisers who warned him of political repercussions to any sweeping restrictions. Reviewing talking points on the ban aboard the plane with advisers, Mr. Trump decided to cancel the administration’s rollout of an announcement, which included a news conference that Alex M. Azar II, the health and human services secretary, was planning to hold on the issue the next day. Instead, another meeting was proposed.

The discussion aboard the Nov. 4 flight was first reported by The Washington Post.  ...

On Nov. 11, Mr. Trump tweeted that he would be “meeting with representatives of the vaping industry, together with medical professionals and individual state representatives, to come up with an acceptable solution to the vaping and E-cigarette dilemma.”

The announcement on Twitter took West Wing advisers by surprise, and one senior official said no meeting had been scheduled.

Such moral courage in a President.

I'm not arguing if they should or shouldn't be banned, but who didn't see this coming. Trump's waffles and flip flops alot. Reminds me of all his concern about gun violence until the gun lobby reminded him of their power and then, nah no big deal.
Trump's brand while hiding from federal investigators in Belize?

Seriously the guy is a patsy for the vaping corporations?  He really must need every million dollar he could get which is funny given how he loves to tell people how rich he is.

The thing that makes no sense is that the majority of vapors that I see (and see too many of them) are either too young to vote, don't vote because they don't care, or are democrats who probably won't vote for them.  is there really a strong conservative voice among these vapors.
Yes.  There were roughly 3 million people from 25-64 who vaped in 2013 and the number has increased exponentially.  They span all political, social, and racial demographics.

I feel the same way about cigs. It’s horribly dangerous.... so naturally the state feels it should get a chunk of the profits.
To be fair, cigs cause alot of health issues which the state ends up having to pay for. Those that smoke should pay for that health expense IMO. You could liken it to carbon and climate change. Carbon polluters have engaged in actions that have a financial effect on our environment which the government ends up paying for via things like natural disaster aid.

To be fair, cigs cause alot of health issues which the state ends up having to pay for. Those that smoke should pay for that health expense IMO. You could liken it to carbon and climate change. Carbon polluters have engaged in actions that have a financial effect on our environment which the government ends up paying for via things like natural disaster aid.
Well then just ban them.

Smokers have lower lifetime healthcare expenses than non-smokers, on average, so it’s non-smokers who should have to pay extra.

”However, smokers die some 10 years earlier than nonsmokers, according to the CDC, and those premature deaths provide a savings to Medicare, Social Security, private pensions and other programs. 

Vanderbilt University economist Kip Viscusi studied the net costs of smoking-related spending and savings and found that for every pack of cigarettes smoked, the country reaps a net cost savings of 32 cents.“

(Link.)

Smokers have lower lifetime healthcare expenses than non-smokers, on average, so it’s non-smokers who should have to pay extra.

”However, smokers die some 10 years earlier than nonsmokers, according to the CDC, and those premature deaths provide a savings to Medicare, Social Security, private pensions and other programs. 

Vanderbilt University economist Kip Viscusi studied the net costs of smoking-related spending and savings and found that for every pack of cigarettes smoked, the country reaps a net cost savings of 32 cents.“

(Link.)
Interesting. I never looked at it that way but it does make sense.

(Link.)
Sounds like an interesting Go Fund Me concept.

(Link.)
Wouldn’t that make a pretty good argument against just about any preventative care and improvements in treatments of chronic illnesses?

They aren't exactly the most health conscious group to begin with, and rationalize recent safety concerns in two main ways:

1. It's only black market cannabis products that are really risky

2. Vaping is still safer than smoking regular cigarettes

Alternatively, some think stamping out the e-cig industry is all a ploy of big tobacco.
Good points. Prohibition only increases the dangers by driving people to the black market.

Users who are viewing this thread