What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Darius Slayton, NYG (1 Viewer)

Mark Football

Footballguy
Couldn't find a thread for this guy. Has anyone watched him play? Does he pass the eye test? Can he be elite?

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't know much, but I'm considering picking him up for WR depth.  The Giants have a couple of nice games during weeks 15 & 16.

Anyone with thoughts on this guys long term value?
Slayton looked good, I am excited about his dynasty prospects, he may come up to be a major contributor to the team.

Redraft he doesn't seem to be any more than a WR3-4 with upside once everyone is back and healthy. If Shepard remains out, I'd pin him with high WR2 value, but with the upcoming bye I would think Shepard comes back.

The Draft Network's Brad Kelly believes Auburn WR Darius Slayton "showed potential" to play at the NFL level.

Slayton (6'2/190) was Auburn's main deep threat throughout his career, averaging 20.3 yards per reception. His abilities were never fully utilized due to Auburn's passing offense, making him an intriguing draft prospect. In his film study and interview with Slayton, Kelly saw a "dynamic downfield threat with route running talent. He has track speed and quickness to match, and uses those traits to accelerate through his route breaks" Kelly also mentioned Slayton is a "student of the game" as Slayton broke down his route-running decisions based on the opposing defense. His draft stock could skyrocket with a strong showing throughout the draft process.

SOURCE: The Draft Network

Feb 3, 2019, 12:57 PM ET

The Athletic's Dane Brugler notes that Auburn WR Darius Slayton is a player that he liked a lot more in a second watching.

Brugler actually writes A LOT more, and we all know that capital letters are used to emphasize a point. Slayton (6'2/190) didn't have a great year, but the Auburn offense was a mess last year, and his speed (20.3 yards per reception) has always been on display. Brugler notes he's more than a speed guy, and that he wouldn't be shocked if he was a top 100 selection. He's going to need to show that speed at the combine in Indianapolis, but if he does, Day 2 consideration certainly seems realistic.

SOURCE: Dane Brugler on Twitter

Feb 23, 2019, 7:55 PM ET

Auburn WR Darius Slayton ran the 40-yard dash in 4.39 seconds at the NFL Scouting Combine.

Slayton (6'1/190) ran just as fast as we expected and that athleticism translated to the jumps too. The former Auburn Tiger produced a 40.5-inch vertical and 135-inch broad jump, which puts him in the great athlete threshold. On the field, Slayton only caught 35-of-73 targets (48% catch rate) but most of his targets were downfield (19.9 yards per reception). Slayton currently sits on the Day 2/3 borderline as a lid lifter.

SOURCE: NFL.com

Mar 2, 2019, 7:20 PM ET

NFL Media's Lance Zierlein believes Auburn WR Darius Slayton "has the traits and talent to become a WR2/3 with more work."

An NFL scout called Auburn's 2018 offense "dysfunctional" and "outdated" which prevented Slayton from showing his true potential. Zierlein expects Slayton to be a field stretcher with his "electric deep ball speed" but his ball tracking is "a mixed bag." Slayton needs to be straightened up mechanically but the tools are there. At the NFL Scouting Combine, Slayton ran the forty in 4.39 seconds and had a 40.5 vertical jump.

Mar 10, 2019, 5:13 PM ET

A scout told NFL Media's Lance Zierlein that you can't put the offensive struggles for Auburn on WR Darius Slayton.

"That whole thing was a disaster this year," the scout told Zierlein. "His quarterback wasn't good, the offensive staff was dysfunctional and they run an outdated offense anyway. I don’t put that on (Slayton)." Interestingly enough, a scout told Zierlein similar things about Jarrett Stidham, the quarterback this scout sort of throws under the bus. Zierlein compares Slayton to D.J. Chark, a late-second round selection in 2018. "His blazing speed is appealing, but teams will want to see more consistency from his hands and as a ball-tracker down the field," writes Zierlein. "With that said, he's more than just a field stretcher and has the traits and talent to become a WR2/3 with more work."

Apr 8, 2019, 3:58 PM ET

Giants selected Auburn WR Darius Slayton with the No. 171 overall pick in the 2019 NFL Draft.

Slayton (6’1/190) turned pro as a redshirt junior after logging a career 79/1,605/11 (20.3 YPR) receiving line as a starter in all three years. Slayton blazed 4.39 with springy vertical (40 ½") and broad (11’3") jumps at the Combine, confirming on the track the vertical explosiveness to Slayton’s on-field game. Slayton’s ball skills are too inconsistent for early-impact comfort, but his 98th-percentile athleticism and ascending game give Slayton high-end No. 2 wideout potential in the Marvin Jones mold.

Apr 27, 2019, 3:21 PM ET

Darius Slayton caught 6-of-9 targets for 44 yards in the Giants' Week 13 loss to the Packers.

Slayton made several tough catches throughout the day, displaying more usage and ability in the intermediate areas of the field than we had previously seen. Still, it’ll be tough to expect consistent production from the Giants’ No. 3 WR once Golden Tate (concussion) returns to action. Slayton won’t be more of a boom-or-bust WR4 in next week’s matchup against the Eagles’ mediocre group of CBs.

Darius Slayton caught 5-of-8 targets for 154 yards and two touchdowns in the Giants' Week 14 overtime loss to the Eagles.

Slayton put on a first-half show, catching all five of his passes on six targets before the break, and setting CB Ronald Darby ablaze in the process with 36- and 54-yard touchdowns against his coverage. Slayton, however, fell off the face of the planet after the break, as Eli Manning went 4-of-11 for 24 measly yards over the final two frames of action. This offense was stuck in the mud outside of the second quarter. Slayton has three two-touchdown games to his name as a rookie, and this was his second 100-yard effort. He'll be a boom-or-bust WR3/4 next week at home in a tasty spot against the Dolphins, but he's tied to Manning again.
Sometimes Roto is a bit clueless; this is one of those times.

Picked him up as a late-game flex hedge for Jacobs, ended up using him but not needing his points, then spent all of Monday night absolutely convinced this was the fantasy gods tricking me into starting him in the playoffs next week when he puts up a zero.

Fantasy football has broken my brain.

Picked him up as a late-game flex hedge for Jacobs, ended up using him but not needing his points, then spent all of Monday night absolutely convinced this was the fantasy gods tricking me into starting him in the playoffs next week when he puts up a zero.

Fantasy football has broken my brain.
Well, assuming Parker is out next week, I have to think loooong and hard about using him over Lockett.

I’ve got Slayton in ahead of some bigger name guys with worse matchups but am worried I’m falling for recency bias. Thoughts this week?

It goes without saying that I ended up falling for this hook, line and sinker.

Darius Slayton caught 2-of-3 targets for 31 yards and one touchdown in the Giants' Week 15 win over the Dolphins.

Slayton's low target total is concerning, but the rookie continues to ball out when targeted. Today's touchdown came on play action from the five yard line where he had to scramble around in the back of the end zone before getting open. It was the eighth time on the year that he hit pay dirt. With the Redskins on Deck, Slayton can be treated as a boom-or-bust flex option.

Darius Slayton was held without a catch in Week 16 against Washington.

He had just two targets. Slayton spent most of the game on the sidelines with a knee injury. He returned late in the fourth quarter and for overtime. The fact Slayton was able to return is a good sign for his Week 17 status.

Best 2019 NFL late-round draft pick for all 32 teams, what's next

Excerpt:

Darius Slayton, wide receiver
College: Auburn
Round selected: Fifth

Analysis: Picked 171st overall, Slayton led the Giants in receiving yards and touchdowns. He looks like a late-round gem, something the Giants haven't had many of in recent years. His role should only expand this season as perhaps the Giants' best perimeter receiver. It's Slayton, Golden Tate and Sterling Shepard as their clear-cut top three receivers.

Rating: On his way. -- Jordan Raanan

I grabbed him in a couple places last year. I like him okay but have been trying to use him as a piece in a trade up but I haven't found anyone else that's interested.

I grabbed him in a couple places last year. I like him okay but have been trying to use him as a piece in a trade up but I haven't found anyone else that's interested.
I have him on my dynasty PPR league and only few of owners have expressed a mild interest in acquiring him, offering low value (i.e. future 3rd rounder or proven / aging WR2 or WR3).  I just dont know how to evaluate Slayton especially with this youth and upside. 

Anyone know what Giants' new OC Jason Garrett's plan or keen understanding on his offensive scheme (except for excessive clapping throughout games).

non-PPR points per game last year:

Tate: 9.564

Slayton: 8.714

Shepard: 8.500

Engram: 8.175

PPR points per game last year:

Shepard: 15.50

Engram: 15.30

Tate: 14.84

Slayton: 13.43

Recent average draft order per Mizelle:

Engram #60 over-all

Slayton #95 over-all

Shepard #111 over-all

Tate #159 over-all

Can anyone see where the value is?

Engram #60 over-all

Slayton #95 over-all

Shepard #111 over-all

Tate #159 over-all

Didn't see your age breakout per Mizelle so no, I cannot.

Riffraff said:

Engram #60 over-all

Slayton #95 over-all

Shepard #111 over-all

Tate #159 over-all

You could be right. For me I am trying to aim for where the value is *going* to be, not where it was. Don't get me wrong, maybe Tate or Shepard are the guy(s) to own this year,  but I'm aiming for the 2nd year WR leap syndrome from a guy that flashed pretty big in his rookie year. I *love* the value of 2nd year WR upside a lot more than medium level veteran FF value. But I could certainly be wrong. 

You could be right. For me I am trying to aim for where the value is *going* to be, not where it was. Don't get me wrong, maybe Tate or Shepard are the guy(s) to own this year,  but I'm aiming for the 2nd year WR leap syndrome from a guy that flashed pretty big in his rookie year. I *love* the value of 2nd year WR upside a lot more than medium level veteran FF value. But I could certainly be wrong. 
Slayton seems to be able to be had pretty late in redraft. But seeing as he’s not talked about much, maybe that’s because nobody but you and I are drafting him. If Jones and him take a step together, I believe great things can occur.

Slayton seems to be able to be had pretty late in redraft. But seeing as he’s not talked about much, maybe that’s because nobody but you and I are drafting him. If Jones and him take a step together, I believe great things can occur.
Yeah I'm still on the train for sure.

I picked him off the waiver wire last season and quickly flipped him for a 2nd rounder...regretting that now.

Darius Slayton Fighting For Targets In Giants Offense

New York Giants wide receiver Darius Slayton was a surprise contributor for Big Blue last season and is looking to carry that momentum into 2020. Last season, Slayton racked up 48 catches for 740 yards and eight touchdowns in just 13 games. As good as Slayton was, he'll have an uphill battle to replicate those numbers. The touchdowns are due for regression as he scored on a very high percentage of his receptions. He'll also have more competition for targets with Evan Engram, Golden Tate, and Sterling Shepard all healthy. He had multiple 120-plus yard, two-touchdown games last season, but he also had eight games where he had two or three targets. He's being drafted at his ceiling as a top-40 wide receiver in average draft position.--Mike Schwarzenbach - RotoBaller

Look I think he is the new #1 in NY. And to pair with solid vets like Tate and Shepard, with Engram as another passing game weapon, makes them a formidable group. The fact that they have Barkley running the ball means this offense *could* really blossom. If I'm even close to right then he should be getting drafted more like the 4th/5th. He has been one of the biggest values in drafts this year, IMO. We'll see. My projection is a fringe WR1 finish. 80/1100/8

barackdhouse said:
Look I think he is the new #1 in NY. And to pair with solid vets like Tate and Shepard, with Engram as another passing game weapon, makes them a formidable group. The fact that they have Barkley running the ball means this offense *could* really blossom. If I'm even close to right then he should be getting drafted more like the 4th/5th. He has been one of the biggest values in drafts this year, IMO. We'll see. My projection is a fringe WR1 finish. 80/1100/8
I'd love it if you are correct as Slayton is my WR4, but training camp reports have Shepard as the Giants WR1 with Slayton as the deep guy.  I do like Daniel Jones this season and I think the Giants offence takes a step forward.  

I'd love it if you are correct as Slayton is my WR4, but training camp reports have Shepard as the Giants WR1 with Slayton as the deep guy.  I do like Daniel Jones this season and I think the Giants offence takes a step forward.  
I don't think that's wrong from the standpoint of who gets the possession targets vs the deep ones. I think Slayton will get more of the intermediate and short stuff than you think but Shepard will be good, too. I just think they will *have* to put 8 in the box and/or key on Barkley out of the backfield and as a result those deep shots should be available and relatively high(er) percentage compared to teams that don't have someone like Barkley.

Also he is my WR4 or 5 almost everywhere, too. Not much risk for that.

For dynasty, Slayton was slated for regression by PFF when they looked at how he and Tate and Shepard fared when they were all in the lineup. I'm more bullish on Slayton and have been trying to acquire him to little avail (I even tried a first round pick and Tyler Boyd for Slayton and Gallup and Stafford and was rebuffed!) so while he won't be mine in my main dynasty league, I'll have an eye on his improvement. I think he and Jones had a nice chemistry last year. We'll see if that holds through the new offense that Garrett is going to install. 

I think Shepard, one of the Giants in question and slated to take targets from Slayton, is dangerous to count on in either dynasty or redraft. He and Brandin Cooks both had serious head injuries where they missed extended periods of time (like over two weeks' worth of games) and both were threatened with the last one being their necessary last one. Davante Adams should be included in that, too, as people remind me I'm often remiss in pointing him out in addition to the other two. 

Darius Slayton caught 6-of-9 targets for 102 yards and two touchdown in the Giants' Week 1 loss to the Steelers Monday night.

With Golden Tate (hamstring) out for this one, it proved to be a huge boost to Slayton. The second-year pro was in on all two-wide sets and led the Giants in targets. On his first touchdown, Slayton ran right by CB Steven Nelson on a play-action fake for a 41-yard score in the second quarter. Slayton's second score was a meaningless fourth-quarter end-zone trip from seven yards out with the Giants already down 26-10 with less than two minutes to play. It was the definition of garbage time, but Slayton and Daniel Jones picked up right where they left off from last year. Slayton's big-play ability will be huge in this offense, and producing this kind of line against the Steelers bodes well for his rest-of-season outlook. He'll be a WR3 next week against the Bears.

Sep 14, 2020, 10:41 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread