What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

A Game of Inches (1 Viewer)

Long Ball Larry

Footballguy
From today's Axios Sports Newsletter:

Newsflash: The "game of inches" has always been defined by a far less precise measurement: the yard. And up until 2016, the NFL's counting system listed anything between zero yards and two yards as fourth-and-1.

Tracking technology is starting to change that, helping teams "distinguish exact distances and measure the value of a single inch," notes WSJ's Andrew Beaton (subscription).

By the numbers: When teams were just inches away from the first down in 2017 and 2018, they converted 82% of the time. But in "long" fourth-and-1 situations, that rate dropped to 55%.

The bottom line: As tracking data goes mainstream, learning more about the different types of fourth downs will arm teams with more information — and could forever change how coaches call plays.

From today's Axios Sports Newsletter:

Newsflash: The "game of inches" has always been defined by a far less precise measurement: the yard. And up until 2016, the NFL's counting system listed anything between zero yards and two yards as fourth-and-1.

Tracking technology is starting to change that, helping teams "distinguish exact distances and measure the value of a single inch," notes WSJ's Andrew Beaton (subscription).

By the numbers: When teams were just inches away from the first down in 2017 and 2018, they converted 82% of the time. But in "long" fourth-and-1 situations, that rate dropped to 55%.

The bottom line: As tracking data goes mainstream, learning more about the different types of fourth downs will arm teams with more information — and could forever change how coaches call plays.
Always, always drove me nuts, the reporting of down and distance. Good to see this. Interesting and crucial data.

Speaking of this, it seems to me at some point it became protocol for the officials to spot the ball exactly on the yardline after a first down was gained, even if the ball normally would be spotted between yardlines. 

This was done to minimize the need to bring the "chain gang" out, since now in every situation, the line to gain is exactly the stripe on the field.

The upshot is, after gaining a first down, a team might lose (or gain) a foot or more just in the spotting of the ball forward or back to the nearest yard stripe.

I'd be curious to know what the coaches think about this, since surely many of them feel like each inch is a battle.

Since 4th and 1 inch is called the same as 4th and 71 inches, perhaps we just need to change the nomenclature.  1st and 10 can become 1st and 360.   :D

10 yards is still 10 yards, so I think the coaches are OK with it. And, the offense always "loses" a foot, never gains. If they get a 12.9 yard gain for a new first down, they spot it +12 yards.

I think the refs don't do this inside the 20, but not sure.
Good stuff.  I figured the ball was always moved back, never forward, but wasn't sure.

Can't imagine all 32 coaches are OK with the 12.9 = 12 part.  The whole "11 men battled hard for that .9 daggummit!" mentality has to persist some places (even though it probably balances out over time).

Users who are viewing this thread