What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Myles Garrett needs to be permanently suspended (1 Viewer)

Pouncey absolutely should have  protected his quarterback, no argument there.  However, he did it in a very Pouncey way and showed his true colors as well.  We all know the NFL isn't made up of the most well-adjusted people but that guy is one messed up person.  When presented with an opportunity to show his true colors he tried to curb stomp a guy.

No argument on Garrett and his actions.  I still wouldn't want Pouncey anywhere near my team.  That guy has demonstrated numerous times he's just not to be trusted, especially off the field.  Let's not build this guy up for doing what he apparently needs little provocation to do.
This is a ludicrous take from someone who's obviously never been on a football field.  Yeah, showed his true colors by going to battle for his qb. You don't see anything when that type of thing happens to your guy. Just red. You try and hurt my guy in a major way. You're getting a beat down. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I watched this game with some friends, and a question that was brought up, was what if this was to Roethlisberger? Like, does that fact that Mason Rudolph isn't a household name make a difference in punishment? I'd argue it shouldn't, but I am pretty certain it would.

I'd Imagine if this happened to say, Aaron Rodgers in Green Bay. Garrett is banned for life, if he even makes through the mob of players(and fans) that surely are looking to cripple him, and that would be the best case scenario. 
What if it was Tom Brady?

Serious repercussions, to say the least.

I also think a Bertuzzi-esque lawsuit should happen. 
This was WAY more Ciccarelli than Bertuzzi. Dino was charged for assault in a Toronto court and spent a day in jail.

Criminal chargers are highly unlikely
I think criminal charges are justified, but who knows what clauses are in players' conduct contracts and what the process is when a player charges another player with a criminal charge.

Haynesworth's cleats caused a laceration requiring thirty stitches.
Lyle Alzado threw a helmet at Chris Ward and got a rule in the book named for him. Pacman slammed Cooper's head into his helmet and it didn't get called at all in-game and got a fine afterwards. Burfict is suspended an entire season for a hit we then saw happen at least 10 times in games later with varying degrees of enforcement -- from flags and penalties to not a whisper. Now this.

Point being who the heck knows what the NFL's reaction will be -- I just know it is more likely to be wildly inconsistent and whim-based than anything else. Like everything else has been.

Should never play another game in the league. 
Not going to disagree. Either premeditated, in retaliation, or heat of the moment, that kind of action has no place in football or any sport.

Yeah, this is just reaching in my opinion. NFL or Rudolph likely won't want to pursue this legally. Rudolph is not hurt and declines medical attention. Garrett isn't a felon and doesn't have a rap sheet. Just why? Agree to disagree here.
Again, this isn't how it works.  

I was fine until Garrett swung the helmet. At that point, everything before that dont matter. Nothing. I dont care that Rudolph tried to rip of Garretts helmet and Rudolph then got owned and had his ripped off. Garrett should have spiked it like a football and celebrate, anything is better than swinging it at another mans head.

Charges? No, because the sanctioned event is collectively bargained the law would be dicey. Much like a boxer killing a person in a fight. Every NFL player has a helmet, the league must come down hard and swift and without apology. In its punishment it even has to show it condones Pouncey a little bit by only issuing a massive fine to Pouncey. No one should get games but Garrett and that is part of the punishment. To say full stop, when we start swinging helmets,nothing else matters and is petty. Im not gonna punish a person for tackling a shooter and doing what it takes to subdue him, not gonna do that to a player stopping a guy swinging a weapon.

Burfict got 12 games, for a football play. A dirty play but a play on the field. He did not take off helmet and swing it at a helmetless player, which is by far way worse.

The rest of this year is a given, but if he gets less then Burfict it would be a joke. Burficts track record not withstanding, it was a football play, this was criminal if not on the field of play in any walk of the world.  You could be a choir boy, you swing a helmet by hand at a defensless person, you go away for quite some time to make sure no one ever does this again or even thinks about it. Players get destroyed for smoking weed, which is legal in some states but still against the rules. 

Rest of this season and 8 games next season with a fine at about a million on top of a lost salary and I would even entertain a team forfeiting a compensatory pick. Yes, make sure teams know, player due something so awful you will suffer too regardless of if it seems fair. Make sure you know players do this, its like collusion in fantasy. You make examples and the example is the point and part of the penalty. Its suppose to be so bad that no one would even think about. That when a player is asked will you take off your helmet and do what miles did they laugh and say I like to keep my money and job. 

If people lose a season for weed, you have to lose a full season for this. 

so please explain. Why would the state of Ohio charge Myles Garrett with a misdemeanor battery?
Why does anyone get charged when they commit a crime?   

If they consider a football helmet a deadly weapon, it's a felony, not a misdemeanor.   And you don't need the NFL to press charges.  They have nothing to do with it.   You also don't need the victim to "press charges."   The local DA will make the decision of whether to charge him.  

If he was charged, he'd probably be charged by the city or county, not the state.  Cleveland PD were in the locker room, so it would probably be the city.

It was on national TV.   Looks pretty bad when you allow people to try to smash other people's skulls on national TV.

He should get suspended; so should Rudolph (might be better for Pitt) & Pouncey.  Rudolph was trying to rip Garret’s helmet off first, kicked him in the leg/groin area, and went after him after they got up (leading to the helmet hit.  Pouncey came in, threw at least 6 punches (3 of them while Garret was being held on the ground by another Steeler O-lineman), and kicked (or tried to kick) Garret in the head at least twice.

That could have been lethal. He's got to be gone for the year with mandatory counseling for potential reinstatement in the next year. 

Looks like the Browns are now not just a bunch of punks but a bunch of thugs as well.

It’s so funny how a team that was so bad for so long and should garner support just based on that (like the Cubs) is so unlikable.

Its weird that everyone I know wants to see the Browns fall on their faces this season and there’s no sport rivalries or anything like that.

Looks like the Browns are now not just a bunch of punks but a bunch of thugs as well.

It’s so funny how a team that was so bad for so long and should garner support just based on that (like the Cubs) is so unlikable.

Its weird that everyone I know wants to see the Browns fall on their faces this season and there’s no sport rivalries or anything like that.
They're actually an obnoxious, dirty bunch, and when they're not busy doing that, they're busy being unctuous. 

OK, so, it is a high publicity case because it is an NFL game and... that's it? There are countless assaults/batteries that occur in Ohio that actually result in grievous bodily harm. I would think the state would be more concerned with homicides, attempt murders, criminal sexual assaults, domestic battery, robberies, and so on...
Do you think no one is getting pulled over for speeding in Ohio because the state should be more concerned with homicides, attempted murders....?

This is the exact kind of high publicity case a local DA would want to go after. 

I edited the rest of my post as I don’t know the laws of that jurisdiction. Typically however assaults in plain sight don’t need a victim to pursue charges in order for those charges to be brought up. 
What are the odds a DA in Ohio charges the best player on their professional football team for an assault that took place in a game? That DA wouldn’t exactly be popular.

I’d say that the chances would be much higher if the game had been in Pittsburgh.

What are the odds a DA in Ohio charges the best player on their professional football team for an assault that took place in a game? That DA wouldn’t exactly be popular.

I’d say that the chances would be much higher if the game had been in Pittsburgh.
Usually the hockey games with charges are exactly that -- on the road.

Talk about an overreaction. 

I went to sleep before the end of the game, woke up and saw the replay of this and so perhaps I was not as emotionally charged as some. 

The guy who should be perma-banned is POUNCEY-PUNK

He kicked the helmet of Garrett while he was on the ground not once not twice but like 3 times because he graduated from the Aaron Hernandez School of Hard Knocks so if anyone is getting banned for life, it's him. 

I have no idea what transpired, I see Garrett ripped the helmet off, that alone is suspension. He then tries to hit him with it, that will be a suspension on top. I'm just saying multiple games perhaps but they're not going to ban him for life on the last play of a Pittsburgh-Cleveland Game no less with a lot of bad blood. 

Maybe Mike Tomlin should have just handed it off with 8 seconds left and down 21-7, game was over!

Can I get anyone some eggs n coffee while I head to the kitchen? Some chill pills maybe?

What are you talking about? Guy could have gotten brained by a swinging bowling ball. Check the specs, mang. 
But he didn't.  The way this went down no way Rudolph would press charges :lmao:

This wasn't a Todd mcsorley incident....

I was fully expecting to he Rudolph on the ground getting pummeled by a helmet

But he didn't.  The way this went down no way Rudolph would press charges :lmao:

This wasn't a Todd mcsorley incident....

I was fully expecting to he Rudolph on the ground getting pummeled by a helmet
Oh, if that's the expectation, then...I don't know what to tell you. But a guy that weighs close to 275 was swinging that thing around like it was a toy. Players on Twitter were aghast. They know how heavy those things are. I remember football helmets. Those things can kill. 

I never said I was ok with Garrett actions but pressing charges is ridiculous...

Glad you are welcoming to different opinions...

Oh no Twitter said it was horrific!@!@!@!@

I didn't get good sleep last night. Had one of those ongoing dreams that just wouldn't end.

In it, I was in handcuffs as the police drug me into a large holding room filled with all of my friends and family. My mom was in tears. My dad wouldn't talk to me. My ex boss who has now been dead for 5 years beat the #### outta me with his cane.

No one would tell me what I had done wrong. So, I went incredible hulk - took my boss' cane and went to town on the lot of 'em.

Thanks lots Myles!

I never said I was ok with Garrett actions but pressing charges is ridiculous...

Glad you are welcoming to different opinions...

Oh no Twitter said it was horrific!@!@!@!@
I'm smiling over your take. It wouldn't be a message board if people were in lockstep, GB. I mean that. 

I posted in game thread I think that Albert Haynesworth stomping on Andrew Gurode’s head should be the guide here. Haynesworth was suspended 5 games.

I posted in game thread I think that Albert Haynesworth stomping on Andrew Gurode’s head should be the guide here. Haynesworth was suspended 5 games.
Let's make it six and sit him for the year then, simply because of the added ferocity of using a swinging bowling ball as a weapon. 

Let's make it six and sit him for the year then, simply because of the added ferocity of using a swinging bowling ball as a weapon. 
I can definitely see 6 because it’s a stricter climate in the nfl now. But the Haynesworth stomping was pretty darn bad.

#65 OgunBoZo should be suspended along with Garrett, he had the most punk move I think by coming up and pushing Rudolph WITH NO HELMET to the ground...honestly he should be gone for the season too and I say that because Rudolph never saw it coming, at least Garrett he could see the helmet and kind of mitigates the damage. If he had hit him squarely with the crown and like drew blood on the field, this would be an assault case of some kind. 

Garrett-4 games to the rest of the season to a FULL 16...Goodell will have a field day with this. 

Pouncey-He started throwing punches immediately, the kicking, don't care about the QB-Center connection, he is going to be suspended an equal number with Garrett, other Pitt OL remained calm thru the situation. 

Lots of other 1-2-4 game deals will be handed out like candy to most involved. 

I am simply addressing the charges angle.

Guy A starts fight.

Guy b grabs object and is being pulled away

Guy a goes after guy b while guy b is being held

Guy b stats swinging object at guy a.

Guy a gets hit with object and turns and looks for a flag

Did guy b cross a line? 100%

Should be be suspended yes

The guy that started the fight  should press charges?  Sorry I don't see that at all

The way it was reported I was fully expecting Rudolph to have been blindsided by helmet swings. :shrug:

And and im a Steelers fan

• Smile
Reactions: OPS
Not going to defend Garrett -- he's earned whatever he's got coming.  I'll guess 2-4 games.  Maybe on the low end since Garrett didn't initiate the fight.

But the team of James Harrison, Hines Ward and many others going back 40 years might want to slow it's roll as far as the indignation goes.

Also, why exactly did Rudolph kick that off?  Was there something happening earlier in the game?  That looked like a textbook take down under the new not-high, not-low NFL rules.  Wasn't even a flag on the play.

Also, a fine for #65 and a game or two for Pouncey.

Not going to defend Garrett -- he's earned whatever he's got coming.  I'll guess 4 games.  Basically the Haynesworth penalty with a game knocked off because Rudolph wasn't hurt.

But the team of James Harrison, Hines Ward and many others going back 40 years might want to slow it's roll as far as the indignation goes.

Also, why exactly did Mason start the fight?  Was there something happening earlier in the game?
Mason started the fight because he got hit and tackled about a good five seconds after he threw the ball. I think Garrett leads the league in personal fouls or something like that. He's just a dirty player. I don't care how great a guy he is, he's dirty. 

I've watched this a bunch of times now many angles on NFLN this morning, let's slow it down a bit and talk about what really happened. 

-Garrett wraps up Rudolph which is a good way to inflict a concussion, you remove a player's ability to break their fall and their head is what hits the ground and Rudolph took exception BECAUSE it was the last play of the game. No need for it really. 

-Rudolph actually starts to pull on the back of Garrett's helmet. Why he was doing that I just told you in the previous point. If you watch it and slow it down Rudolph tried to grab at the back of Garrett's helmet butI think he was just trying to get him off of him. 

-Garrett decides to retaliate or being even more aggressive and grabs Rudolph's helmet and rips it off by the face mask.  

Garrett took responsibility after the game, he flat out said it was his fault, that's probably a good thing but it won't stop him being suspended. 

-Aikman said barbaric and some fruit loop on the morning NFLN show was clutching his rosary beads...fights happen all the time in practice, training camp, we've seen this happen just not on the last play of a prime time NFL game. 

Haynesworth was worse, that was a long time ago so don't have to use that as direct guide.  4 games seems about right, but no problem with rest of season. Don't think it should be more than that really.

I'm a Steeler fan. Does he have a history of of violence and unsportsmanlike conduct?  I've seen several helmets swung over the years, and the damage inflicted (or lackk thereof) seems to have a large affect on how the league responds to these types of outbursts. And the players history.
Didn't Garrett break a QBs ankle earlier in the season on a blatantly late hit?   I don't think much came from that because, you know, it's the NFL.   

The NFL hates some teams and players.   Fortunately for these players, they are not in silver and black and the penalties will be minimal.   

Haynesworth was worse, that was a long time ago so don't have to use that as direct guide.  4 games seems about right, but no problem with rest of season. Don't think it should be more than that really.
Pretty much, he earned whatever the league gives him but the reactions last night were more than a bit over the top. 

Rest of season for Garrett.  It was on national TV. No way the NFL can go with a lesser penalty in this day and age.  

(Of course Browns @ Steelers will be a season opener next year). 

• Smile
Reactions: OPS
Haynesworth was before the league decided their assets needed to be taken care of (allegedly). 

I have no rooting interest in either team.  Garrett should be suspended for at least 16 games and I would be okay with a perm.  He literally could have killed Rudolph. 

Users who are viewing this thread