What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

My Walls are Oozing (1 Viewer)

TheMagus

Footballguy
We are getting ready for a party tonight and I decided to go around and touch up the paint on some of the molding where there are dings or scratches. While doing this, I started noticing a light brown sticky substance dripping from behind a few paintings. Then as I walked around the living room I kept noticing more and more of this substance that seemed to just be coming right through the walls on two opposite sides of the room. The source wasn't the ceiling - a lot of the drips started about waist height and there is no evidence of anything on the ceiling or around the crown molding. 

Fast forward to finally figuring out what is going on - bees. I'm pretty sure I have about 100,000 bees (based on the amount of liquid and what I've read online) living in the walls of my living room. And this is the only area where there is evidence. The dining room is right next to the living room and we just remodeled it an put up grasscloth, so I have no idea if that room is also impacted, we just haven't seen the evidence yet because it hasn't managed to seep through.

😪😪😪

This made my skin crawl. Sorry man. Can’t believe you can’t hear them.
That's what is baffling because it seems like if there were that many bees (producing so much honey that it is seeping through drywall) that we would hear something. But I am pretty damn sure that is what it is and the exterminators didn't question it at all when I called them and explained what was happening.

And they can't come out until Monday. Our master bedroom is directly above the living room and I can't imagine either my wife or I sleeping very well the next two nights. 

For some insight it looks like this:

https://o.aolcdn.com/images/dims3/GLOB/crop/386x253+65+0/resize/1028x675!/format/jpg/quality/85/http%3A%2F%2Fo.aolcdn.com%2Fhss%2Fstorage%2Fmidas%2Ffe75a3c3e63b91bb8fa94b5bfb2ee5cf%2F204902491%2Fkiah.jpeg

I cleaned everything up and didn't take pictures myself, but that is pretty much what it looked like and that is from a news story about a house in Texas that was overrun by bees.

That's what is baffling because it seems like if there were that many bees (producing so much honey that it is seeping through drywall) that we would hear something. But I am pretty damn sure that is what it is and the exterminators didn't question it at all when I called them and explained what was happening.

And they can't come out until Monday. Our master bedroom is directly above the living room and I can't imagine either my wife or I sleeping very well the next two nights. 

For some insight it looks like this:

https://o.aolcdn.com/images/dims3/GLOB/crop/386x253+65+0/resize/1028x675!/format/jpg/quality/85/http%3A%2F%2Fo.aolcdn.com%2Fhss%2Fstorage%2Fmidas%2Ffe75a3c3e63b91bb8fa94b5bfb2ee5cf%2F204902491%2Fkiah.jpeg

I cleaned everything up and didn't take pictures myself, but that is pretty much what it looked like and that is from a news story about a house in Texas that was overrun by bees.
That’s horrifying.

The bright side is that it isn’t demons.

Yikes.  Separate nests or you think they've surrounded you?

Can you see where they're coming in on the outside?  How long until you get weather cold enough to kill them off?
The fact that it is two opposing walls is what has me horrified. The wall perpendicular to them is split by the fireplace/chimney so it has to be separate nests  - one wall is on the front of the house and the other is the back of the house. They must be all through the ceiling or ducts or I don't even want to think about it. 

ETA: I can't find anywhere where they could be coming in in the direct vicinity of where the oozing is happening.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have lots of bees flying around  the outside of your house?

Check into Surfactant Leaching.

It is very common with latex paint ... and a lot less hassle than bees.

gl
I am holding out hope that it is something like this. My wife kept insisting that the cleaning people may have sprayed an inordinate amount of wood cleaner on the picture frames or something, but I really don't think so. It's liquid that is pooling on the floor in pretty substantial quantities. And I found a couple of bubbles as well where it is pooling behind the paint and about to burst through. 😪

I am holding out hope that it is something like this. My wife kept insisting that the cleaning people may have sprayed an inordinate amount of wood cleaner on the picture frames or something, but I really don't think so. It's liquid that is pooling on the floor in pretty substantial quantities. And I found a couple of bubbles as well where it is pooling behind the paint and about to burst through. 😪
I used to rehab old houses and ran into leaching a lot. It can vary greatly irt the amount of liquid excreted.

I have never encounter a bee situation like this tho - so, I can't speculate on that.

Have you tasted it? Honey like?

EDit: Sarcasm on the tasting part. I never tasted my problems like this b4 ;)

Could be two nests, could be one big one that spans into the ceiling. Could also be condensation from humidity that is getting dust or grime mixed in. Or you have a leak somewhere that is pushing through away from the actual leak.

Better hope it's not honeybees. Exterminators generally won't/can't eradicate them. They have to relocate the hive.  Our neighbor has a huge hive on his back porch and they wanted a ridiculous amount of money to move it.

My grandmother's house had something like this once.....turns out it was glue residue from the wallpaper that used to be there.

The substance is very sticky - had to wash my hands three times to get it off. 

To some other points, we do have a lot of bees in our yard and have had hive problems in the past, but outside and in gutters and such.

I should also mention that the living room is "formal" which pretty much means my wife won't let us hang out in there unless we are having guests, so that may be why we haven't heard anything and I didn't notice the mystery substance until today. I am also not sure of the habits of bees but could they be hibernating now that the weather is cold?

I should also probably mention that the bee theory isn't completely out of thin air. In the course of my investigations, a bee flew out of the curtains. Could be unrelated, but all signs are pointing to demon bees at this point. 

Damn.

I'd take some of the ooze and mix it with water.  Honey should stick together.  And then I'd put it in a pan and see if it melts like honey (put some side by side with real stuff).

Saw this happen at on old church building out in the country in rural PA. They took the outside boards of the building off and it was a massive hive and nest. It was like 3’ x 12’ or something. A local bee keeper came and did his thing and relocated a big part of the nest, I am assuming with the queen to a farm across the field. 

Most bees and wasps hibernate during the colder months. In many species, only the queen survives the winter, emerging in spring to reestablish a colony. But honey bees (species Apis mellifera) remain active all winter long, despite the freezing temperatures and lack of flowers on which to forage. Winter is when they reap the benefits of their hard work, by living off the honey they've made and stored. 

More about bees in the link. It's probably bees.

https://www.thoughtco.com/how-honey-bees-keep-warm-winter-1968101

Most bees and wasps hibernate during the colder months. In many species, only the queen survives the winter, emerging in spring to reestablish a colony. But honey bees (species Apis mellifera) remain active all winter long, despite the freezing temperatures and lack of flowers on which to forage. Winter is when they reap the benefits of their hard work, by living off the honey they've made and stored. 

More about bees in the link. It's probably bees.

https://www.thoughtco.com/how-honey-bees-keep-warm-winter-1968101
Nice info.

Also, OP, have you tried sleeping with the Queen?

I used to rehab old houses and ran into leaching a lot. It can vary greatly irt the amount of liquid excreted.

I have never encounter a bee situation like this tho - so, I can't speculate on that.

Have you tasted it? Honey like?

EDit: Sarcasm on the tasting part. I never tasted my problems like this b4 ;)
I would absolutely taste it

Buy/borrow a stethoscope.  It it's bees you should be able to hear them in the walls.

ETA:  Or use the glass on the wall trick.

Buy/borrow a stethoscope.  It it's bees you should be able to hear them in the walls.
That's what the guys who are coming on Monday are going to do. They go around and listen for buzzing. I have to go get ready for 40 people to come over now. Not sure if I should make them sign waivers that they are entering at their own risk. fml

That's what the guys who are coming on Monday are going to do. They go around and listen for buzzing. I have to go get ready for 40 people to come over now. Not sure if I should make them sign waivers that they are entering at their own risk. fml
If the party feels dull, or people won't leave at the end of the night, just knock a hole in the wall.

Do you have an epi pen handy?  

Users who are viewing this thread