What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Colin Kaepernick, Free Agent (1 Viewer)

Faust

MVP
The previous Colin Kaepernick Shark Pool thread was moved to the politics forum, so this thread will serve as a place for discussion on Kaepernick’s bid to return to the NFL and his prospects as a fantasy football asset.

A scouting report from Saturday's workout in Atlanta described free agent QB Colin Kaepernick as "average overall."

Representatives from eight teams made the trip to suburban Atlanta for Saturday's workout, which featured 60 scripted throws to receivers including Cowboys alum Brice Butler and Kaepernick's former 49ers teammate Bruce Ellington. Kaepernick appeared to be in "good shape" and impressed with his arm strength, though his deep accuracy was described as "ordinary." Among the most mobile quarterbacks in football during his Niners heyday, scouts noted that Kaepernick's speed is still very much an asset. The takeaway, at least in one scout's estimation is that Kaepernick is "good enough to be on a roster" but would probably have to settle for a backup gig. Teams have been reluctant to align themselves with Kaepernick due to his strong stances on issues related to race and social justice, though Saturday proved the 32-year-old can still sling it.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Nov 17, 2019, 8:19 AM ET

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter

After today’s workout in Atlanta, an NFL executive at Colin Kaepernick’s throwing session said his arm talent is “elite” and is the same as when he came out of college. He said that Kaepernick threw the ball well.

4:01 PM - Nov 16, 2019

Anyone want to speculate on who signs him?

My WAG - New England to simulate Lamar Jackson on the practice squad.

I would kneel at the irony of him playing Rudy on the practice squad. 

But, I can’t see him  humbling himself to settle for that. 

Crazily this seems like the most likely path. With Mahomes, Watson, Lamar and maybe Wilson on the schedule would be great to have a legit scout guy like him to simulate. 

NE could absorb the distraction and just showed in September they aren't scared of PR hit if it makes them better. 

Kap gets the stink off and replaces it with Pats backup QB cologne. Ask Matt Cassel what that's good for. 

he would demand a high $$$$ salary and I think NFL teams would rather invest in young talents for backup QB with way lest cost and circus fare

Dizzy said:

This would be a highly entertaining prospect especially considering Brady's age and BBs ability to turn seemingly anyone into a probowler

At worst, Kaepernick is a solid backup.  At best, he could be a lower tier starter.  He was more than solid in 2016.  Clearly, some people are letting their emotions affect their opinion.

If he really wanted to play, he would have taken a one year, low dollar, incentive laden deal and he would have been signed a long time ago. But it appears he always wanted way more money than a team wanted to pay him and a role no one was willing to give him. He wanted starter's money and did not want to take on a back up's role. And that's completely leaving out all the other stuff.

That allowed CK to stoke the flames that he was an aggrieved party and a victim all this time (while being able to continue to push his agenda). It also appears that he still wants to mix things up and stir the pot and not play the role of a good soldier. Whether he can still play is mostly irrelevant at this point. If he really wanted $20 million to play in the AAF, he likely wanted that much or more to play in the NFL. No one is going to give him that when he hasn't played in almost three full seasons, and it does not appear that he will be anything but a perpetual irritation to his team and the league. At this point it doesn't really look like he wants to play unless it is 100% on his terms.

Has Kaepernick's camp ever made a public statement about salary demands or is that just speculation by third parties?

Okay, so we have no idea what their expectations are for money or starting status and everyone is just speculating.
There were 1,001 reports that Kaep wanted $20 million to play in the AAF. I can't imagine the Associated Press picked that number out of thin air.

There were 1,001 reports that Kaep wanted $20 million to play in the AAF. I can't imagine the Associated Press picked that number out of thin air.
I can easily imagine that number being "leaked" by someone with no connection to Kaepernick and the AP simply running with it. That's S.O.P. in 2019.

I can easily imagine that number being "leaked" by someone with no connection to Kaepernick and the AP simply running with it. That's S.O.P. in 2019.
I could see someone asking for $20mil to play in a startup league, especially when you would be the only household name in the entire league.

As to the NFL, the only thing I've seen is from Silver saying Kaep hasn't turned down any offers, hasn't made any salary demands and would sign as a backup.

https://twitter.com/MikeSilver/status/1194627530130542593?s=19

The aaf isn't the NFL.  If I were the only "real" player a new league could get I would ask for an exorbitant amount of money too.

Back to the real question - has he actually put a number on what he wants from an NFL team?  That's relevant.

The aaf isn't the NFL.  If I were the only "real" player a new league could get I would ask for an exorbitant amount of money too.

Back to the real question - has he actually put a number on what he wants from an NFL team?  That's relevant.
When do players publicly announce their contract demands? Anything that comes out is through the media and usually is based on speculation. 

When do players publicly announce their contract demands? Anything that comes out is through the media and usually is based on speculation. 
That's my point though.  We've got a lot of things to give him crap about, why are we arguing about things we don't know?

Apparently his arm strength and wheels are still top notch and his long ball accuracy is still average.

Keep this thread 100% on Football
This is really silly.  If this were just about football, this guy would most likely be on an NFL roster.  But it’s not, so he’s not.  Why even have this thread?  You quite literally can’t discuss Kaepernick’s situation and “keep it 100% on football.”  It’s not even remotely possible.  

If you guys think that makes it a Political Forum thread (even sillier IMO), then nuke this one and don’t allow a discussion about a football player in your football forum.  Seems simple enough.  But having two threads and telling people to keep the talk only about football in one of them is a losing proposition.

I've always believed Kaepernick has proven to be a subpar NFL QB as far as reading defenses go... but with the league's new commitment to protecting QBs, and how they've basically red-jerseyed QBs during actual NFL games... he may actually find success once again.

This is really silly.  If this were just about football, this guy would most likely be on an NFL roster.  But it’s not, so he’s not.  Why even have this thread?  You quite literally can’t discuss Kaepernick’s situation and “keep it 100% on football.”  It’s not even remotely possible.  

If you guys think that makes it a Political Forum thread (even sillier IMO), then nuke this one and don’t allow a discussion about a football player in your football forum.  Seems simple enough.  But having two threads and telling people to keep the talk only about football in one of them is a losing proposition.
Keep this and everything in the Shark Pool 100% about football. If that's silly or that doesn't work for you, I completely understand. No hard feelings, just find a new forum. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Did KC bring in Matt Moore off the street because they are racist or because they felt he was at least as good and wouldnt be a distraction? 

Josh Mckown, Sam Bradford, Marc Sanchez... These are guys also on the street that could be legitimate replacement level QBs in the NFL but are unemployed. When were talking about 'a guy hopefully good enough not to totally embarrass you', which is what we're talking about, the supply exceeds the demand. So why risk your franchise becoming a lightning rod unrelated to football? 

No he is not.  Are you related to him? He's terrible & everyone knows it. Goodnight. 
Goodnight to you as well brother, see you tomorrow.

The physical ability has always been there and it has always been undeniable. An NFL executive who was there today said his arm strength is still top notch and he doesn't appear to have lost any of his speed/mobility.  He said his deep ball was average.

Look the guy led the Niners to two NFC championship games and a Super Bowl that they were absolutely in control of until that bizarre 45 minute power outage.

It is disengenuous to deny his contributions to those teams yet gold him responsible for the poor Chip Kelly teams that followed.

Dude could play and he was absolutely legit. And the take home message from today is those physical attributes are still there.

Goodnight to you as well brother, see you tomorrow.

The physical ability has always been there and it has always been undeniable. An NFL executive who was there today said his arm strength is still top notch and he doesn't appear to have lost any of his speed/mobility.  He said his deep ball was average.

Look the guy led the Niners to two NFC championship games and a Super Bowl that they were absolutely in control of until that bizarre 45 minute power outage.

It is disengenuous to deny his contributions to those teams yet gold him responsible for the poor Chip Kelly teams that followed.

Dude could play and he was absolutely legit. And the take home message from today is those physical attributes are still there.
Tend to agree with this take -- he was really, really good with the 9ers and a huge part of what got them to those NFCCGs. I do think in general NFL Ds started to figure out both spread formations and had enough on tape on Kaep to start limiting him, and he looked remarkably poorer from then on.

But I wouldn't categorize him as a terrible QB. He definitely has the tools and athleticism to contend as a starter.

Keep this and everything in the Shark Pool 100% about football. If that's silly or that doesn't work for you, I completely understand. No hard feelings, just find a new forum. 
Then there’s nothing to discuss about Kaepernick. Hence my point, shut this thread down since he’s not in the NFL, so there’s no football to discuss.  The reasons he’s not in the NFL have been pretty clearly related to non football issues, so those are inherently a part of any “Kaepernick as a football player” conversation.  Or maybe I misunderstood what “keep this to football only” was in regards to. 

As for the bolded, you seem to add that quite frequently to responses when something about the board, posts, or policy is questioned.  I think posters are smart enough to understand that if they don’t like the administrative policies/restrictions/guidelines of a free message board, that they’re welcome to move on elsewhere.  Adding that statement, as well intentioned as you may mean it, simply comes across as condescending and antagonistic.  IMO.  (But my usage of the word silly in my original post was inappropriate, and likely antagonistic in and of itself.  For that, apologies.)

Then there’s nothing to discuss about Kaepernick. Hence my point, shut this thread down since he’s not in the NFL, so there’s no football to discuss.  The reasons he’s not in the NFL have been pretty clearly related to non football issues, so those are inherently a part of any “Kaepernick as a football player” conversation.  Or maybe I misunderstood what “keep this to football only” was in regards to. 

As for the bolded, you seem to add that quite frequently to responses when something about the board, posts, or policy is questioned.  I think posters are smart enough to understand that if they don’t like the administrative policies/restrictions/guidelines of a free message board, that they’re welcome to move on elsewhere.  Adding that statement, as well intentioned as you may mean it, simply comes across as condescending and antagonistic.  IMO.  (But my usage of the word silly in my original post was inappropriate, and likely antagonistic in and of itself.  For that, apologies.)
Understood. I apologize if that sounded condescending or antagonistic. I'm not sure what you call "quite frequently" but I say this every once in while that we're not for everyone. Especially for people who think we're silly here. Apology accepted. All good. Now please drop it. If you want to contribute to the forum, please pick a thread that does interest you.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's almost impossible to keep it 100% football with this guy, because as has been pointed out... he's not in the NFL - hasn't been.

I'm not convinced that he wants to be either. Seems more lucrative for him not to be on an NFL roster actually. It's almost like he saw how many teams were sending reps to his workout and he though "Uh oh, what can I do to sabotage this? I know, I'll wear my ####a Kinte T-shirt just in case somebody thinks I'm serious about coming back."

I don't have the emotional investment that so many others here, and couldn't care less if he gets a shot, wants a shot, is shot, whatever. He still seems to be well below the Mendoza line IMO.

Just curious; diverse fan base in here.   Which one of you/your team wants Colin as your QB/backup?

I'm a Giants fan and have no interest.

Users who are viewing this thread