What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Last play of SF/Zona game (1 Viewer)

FGITLOTR

Footballguy
Unless I’m mistaken, that last scoring play was never reviewed. It clearly wasn’t a TD, but was inexplicably never addressed and players exited the field. When the NFL does start changes this week, is there a possibility they overturn this blatant mistake? I’m not a gambler, but I heard the spread was 10 😬

Unless I’m mistaken, that last scoring play was never reviewed. It clearly wasn’t a TD, but was inexplicably never addressed and players exited the field. When the NFL does start changes this week, is there a possibility they overturn this blatant mistake? I’m not a gambler, but I heard the spread was 10 😬
Why wasn't it clearly a TD? Looked like one to me. 

Why wasn't it clearly a TD? Looked like one to me. 
The Arizona player is being touched on the ground by a 49er before he tosses the bell 2” yards behind him. The play is clearly dead, and the refs never even reviewed the play. You need to watch it! Nuts 

It's pretty GD F'd Up and the fact the spread was exactly 10 and it's a push is gonna likely throw some cover as most folks are getting their money back but a lot of us that had Arizona would like to thank Kyler Murray.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Arizona player is being touched on the ground by a 49er before he tosses the bell 2” yards behind him. The play is clearly dead, and the refs never even reviewed the play. You need to watch it! Nuts 
I own the niners D and need every one of those points.  But that said, is there any precedent for taking points off the board after the fact?  I would think NY would have had to called in during the game.

The ball was rolling loose. The Arizona player batted it backwards without having control. Legit touchdown. Game over. No review. Bettors paid

Every scoring play is reviewed; supposedly.  The fact that the score counted would indicate it was reviewed.  Don’t think there’s a precedent for changing a score with a star change.

Thanks for the link. very helpful.

You can't throw a ball like that without having possession of it, so I reject the never-had-possession interpretation.

However I don't see any SF player touching him in the split second that he grabs it and tosses it, so I also reject the down-by-contact interpretation.

TD stands.

The NFL does not care about your fantasy team or what the spread of the football game is. And they should not. 

The NFL does not care about your fantasy team or what the spread of the football game is. And they should not. 
The NFL's audience is:

* football fans

* fantasy players

* bettors

So, yes, they do care about those things.  In fact the league used to require teams to carry out the PAT after a walkoff TD expressly because of betting lines.  Injury reports exist largely due to betting lines.  Stadium scoreboards around the league show fantasy stats during timeouts.  They absolutely cater to those segments of their audience, and care very much about maintaining the integrity of the product from those perspectives.

My $.02

To me, it looks like there was possession, but no contact.  That is, the defender had gotten up before the lineman obtained possession.

Thanks for the link. very helpful.

You can't throw a ball like that without having possession of it, so I reject the never-had-possession interpretation.

However I don't see any SF player touching him in the split second that he grabs it and tosses it, so I also reject the down-by-contact interpretation.

TD stands.
Agreed on all points here, but since we are scrutinizing... was there any kind of penalty to be assessed (or maybe there was) for the SF dude running into the "end zone money shot" with his helmet already off?

Every scoring play is reviewed; supposedly.  The fact that the score counted would indicate it was reviewed.  Don’t think there’s a precedent for changing a score with a star change.
not so sure......Walt Anderson literally said "game over" like 10 seconds after the TD.....no way they had time to review it.....

The NFL's audience is:

* football fans

* fantasy players

* bettors

So, yes, they do care about those things.  In fact the league used to require teams to carry out the PAT after a walkoff TD expressly because of betting lines.  Injury reports exist largely due to betting lines.  Stadium scoreboards around the league show fantasy stats during timeouts.  They absolutely cater to those segments of their audience, and care very much about maintaining the integrity of the product from those perspectives.
actually....the "reason" (they will tell you) they kept doing PAT after walk offs is because somewhere in tie breaker list "points" matter.....they aren't going to say "we are attempting this PAT because of betting lines"......c'mon man....

actually....the "reason" (they will tell you) they kept doing PAT after walk offs is because somewhere in tie breaker list "points" matter.....they aren't going to say "we are attempting this PAT because of betting lines"......c'mon man....
I've never heard that, though it's plausible.  Regardless, those two explanations are not mutually exclusive.

Agreed on all points here, but since we are scrutinizing... was there any kind of penalty to be assessed (or maybe there was) for the SF dude running into the "end zone money shot" with his helmet already off?
Sure...15 yards after the play...in which the game is already over anyway.

not so sure......Walt Anderson literally said "game over" like 10 seconds after the TD.....no way they had time to review it.....
"All scoring plays are reviewed" is the standard NFL line.  We have obvious TDs where a player walked into the EZ & there is nothing really necessary to review.  And they are kicking the PAT seconds later.  The time elapsed between the play and "game over" isn't any kind of definitive proof that the play wasn't reviewed.  If a reporter were to ask an NFL official about the play, I'm sure he/she would be told that the play was reviewed and the call on the field upheld.

"All scoring plays are reviewed" is the standard NFL line.  We have obvious TDs where a player walked into the EZ & there is nothing really necessary to review.  And they are kicking the PAT seconds later.  The time elapsed between the play and "game over" isn't any kind of definitive proof that the play wasn't reviewed.  If a reporter were to ask an NFL official about the play, I'm sure he/she would be told that the play was reviewed and the call on the field upheld.
right....I'm sure thats what they will "say".....but with all of the possible things that could have either (a.)  been illegal..backward passes, illegal "batting" off a ball, etc...or (b) down by contact, etc. on that play....it would have taken a lot longer than 10 seconds to review the play....but we all know it wasn't really reviewed....if that were in the 3rd quarter, we would probably still be sitting here waiting for a ruling....with the discussion in here you can see there are different opinions on how that play shook out.....they simply didn't review it because it "didn't matter" .....and thats fine I guess.... but let's not pretend it was actually reviewed....

even more infuriating is how they got in that position in the first place.  SF on 4th and 1 can kick a fg to tie it but instead made the gutsy call to go for it and scored a td.  Sweet !!!  Az will get the ball and either score or use the rest of the time right? NOOOOOO   with 38 seconds? they fumble....SF gets the ball and surely they can waste 38 seconds to end the game but NOOOOOOO  they turn the ball over on downs  instead of kicking the FG.....  so with 2 seconds....well that garbage td happened.  Worst part is not only did I lose but I lost to the guy who picked up the SF defense after I dropped them on their bye.  

right....I'm sure thats what they will "say".....but with all of the possible things that could have either (a.)  been illegal..backward passes, illegal "batting" off a ball, etc...or (b) down by contact, etc. on that play....it would have taken a lot longer than 10 seconds to review the play....but we all know it wasn't really reviewed....if that were in the 3rd quarter, we would probably still be sitting here waiting for a ruling....with the discussion in here you can see there are different opinions on how that play shook out.....they simply didn't review it because it "didn't matter" .....and thats fine I guess.... but let's not pretend it was actually reviewed....
Uh.....I was responding to the OP, who seemed to be hoping that the play would get reversed, like a stats change, later his week (for either FF or gambling reasons).  Just because he, you, I, etc don't believe it was reviewed doesn't mean the NFL didn't review (or won't claim to have reviewed it).  It won't be changed.

And, there are countless different opinions expressed in threads like these every week about whether it was/wasn't a catch, broke/didn't break the goalline, control of the pass/no control of the pass, PI/no PI, etc.  Disagreement on message boards about calls made on the field isn't any kind of proof that the NFL didn't review them.

Users who are viewing this thread