What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Question regarding review in KC/LAC game last night (1 Viewer)

HULLOBUDMAN

Footballguy
Late in the game, Rivers tried to hang on to a ball which hit the ground and was ruled a fumble on the field. The Chargers recovered it and the call was reviewed and reversed and called an incomplete pass.

My question is why was that reviewed by the booth? I thought a fumble ruling was only reviewed when there was a change of possession. 

Here is the rule on NFL.com that explains when an official review can happen.

ARTICLE 2. REPLAY OFFICIAL REQUEST FOR REVIEW

Only the Replay Official or the Senior Vice President of Officiating or his or her designee may initiate a review of a play:

that begins after the two-minute warning of each half;

throughout any overtime period;

when points are scored by either team;

that is a Try attempt (successful or unsuccessful); and

when on-field officials rule:

an interception by an opponent;

a fumble or backward pass recovered by an opponent or that goes out of bounds through the opponent’s end zone;

a scrimmage kick touched by the receiving team and recovered by the kicking team; or

a disqualification of a player.

Such plays may be reviewed regardless of whether a foul is committed on the play that, if accepted, would negate the on-field ruling.

The Replay Official may only challenge a play until the next legal snap or kick. The Replay Official may consult with a designated member of the Officiating department at the league office regarding whether to challenge a play.

I believe it was on that last drive. Unless my memory is mistaken. If that’s the case...

It was under 2:00 so they reviewed it. Clear and simple in that first rule you pasted.

I read the rule as if it is in the last 2 minutes AND it meets one of these criteria:

a fumble or backward pass recovered by an opponent or that goes out of bounds through the opponent’s end zone;

a scrimmage kick touched by the receiving team and recovered by the kicking team; or

Such plays may be reviewed regardless of whether a foul is committed on the play that, if accepted, would negate the on-field ruling.

The Replay Official may only challenge a play until the next legal snap or kick. The Replay Official may consult with a designated member of the Officiating department at the league office regarding whether to challenge a play.

Maybe I am unable to decipher the rule. Are you saying that ANY play can be reviewed at the officials discretion within the last 2 minutes?

I read the rule as if it is in the last 2 minutes AND it meets one of these criteria:

Maybe I am unable to decipher the rule. Are you saying that ANY play can be reviewed at the officials discretion within the last 2 minutes?
ANY play can be reviewed at the officials discretion within the last 2 minutes.  Catch, In bounds, Pass Interference, etc

There was only 45 seconds left. All plays can be reviewed at that point. Apparently they wanted to make sure the ball was marked at the proper spot.

Users who are viewing this thread