What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Vegetarian Recipes and Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Northern Voice

Footballguy
Spinoff from the Indian food thread. Vegan, pescatarian, flexitarian, meatless Monday, etc... as well. 

I'm not vegetarian but I'm 95% or more there. My wife is vegan and we have always cooked and eaten dinner together and still do. Recently, I've moved my lunches vegetarian, and for breakfast, I've done a shake and a coffee for quite a while. 

Mostly here for the recipes, I think. I'll post my vegetarian chili in a bit, it's pretty simple but it's absolutely delicious. 

I prefer lentils and beans and such as protein sources as opposed to the ones trying to emulate meet - chick'n, seitan, beyond burgers etc... I'll eat all those but if I'm cooking I don't go that way, and in most instances, I prefer a good, properly spiced black bean burger to a pea protein burger - though impossible isn't available in Canada yet so I'll hold out and try that. 

I used to eat meat with every lunch and dinner and breakfast on weekends but I honestly don't miss it on a day to basis - and if I do get a craving for a good hamburger or some wings at the pub - I'll eat them.

For meatless Thursday tomorrow, I'm making Soondubu Jiigae, a Korean tofu and kimchi stew. 

Here's a basic recipe but I add onion and make it more stewy than soupy.  It's much better with silken tofu than the firm stuff you use for stir fry..  You can substitute regular mushrooms for enoki and miso for dwenjang.  I don't think there's a good substitute for gochujang but I usually have a tub in the back of the frig. 

I serve it with rice of course but usually some shredded cabbage as well to give some crunch and cut the heat.

Disclaimer: most kimchi has fish or shrimp in the brine.

Not vegetarian but eat tons of homemade guacamole and put it on salad.  Easy to make - Take one avocado, extract and mash it up, add fresh Pico de Gallo or salsa to avocado, mix,  twist of lime on top and you're good.  Can also chop up some jalepenos and throw them in for more spice.  I normally add the guac to a bed of raw spinach or spring mix.  

Not vegetarian but eat tons of homemade guacamole and put it on salad.  Easy to make - Take one avocado, extract and mash it up, add fresh Pico de Gallo or salsa to avocado, mix,  twist of lime on top and you're good.  Can also chop up some jalepenos and throw them in for more spice.  I normally add the guac to a bed of raw spinach or spring mix.  
We had a whole thread about cilantro but you need it in guac

Yeah Mexican offers some great veg options. 

We make these Roasted Beer and Lime Cauliflower Tacos with Cilantro Slaw. They are more a summer thing but they are absolutely delicious. I've found the key is cutting the cauliflower a little smaller than the recipe calls for to get the maximum flavour on them. We sometimes cheat and buy ready made slaw and just add the lime juice, cilantro etc...

That recipe is from the Thug Kitchen cookbook, which I would recommend. 

You can't go wrong with roasted root vegetables.  Beets, turnips, rutabagas, kohlrabi, carrots, potatoes, yams, whatever.  Chop 'em, coat w/ olive oil and seasonings, stick it in a 400 degree oven and go do something else.

You can't go wrong with roasted root vegetables.  Beets, turnips, rutabagas, kohlrabi, carrots, potatoes, yams, whatever.  Chop 'em, coat w/ olive oil and seasonings, stick it in a 400 degree oven and go do something else.
also good if you throw in some gardein sausage, smoked tempeh or the like for a little additional flavor.

then throw it in a pot, add some broth, a potato. Baby, you’ve got a stew going.

also good if you throw in some gardein sausage, smoked tempeh or the like for a little additional flavor.

then throw it in a pot, add some broth, a potato. Baby, you’ve got a stew going.
Wife and I made this Irish stew last weekend, it was delicious. A bit of Irish stout flavour lingered so if you're not a fan of that, maybe ease up on the full pint - I loved it but we'll likely tweak a bit next time.

https://itdoesnttastelikechicken.com/vegan-irish-stew/

I’ve been a Vegan for 2 years now. I Don’t have any recipes to add, but I do plan to steal some from this thread. Simple Kale chips are a go-to snack of mine. Just toss the Kale in some Olive oil, throw some salt on there, and cook until crispy. I put a batch in an air fryer the other day that came out great. 

I’ve been a Vegan for 2 years now. I Don’t have any recipes to add, but I do plan to steal some from this thread. Simple Kale chips are a go-to snack of mine. Just toss the Kale in some Olive oil, throw some salt on there, and cook until crispy. I put a batch in an air fryer the other day that came out great. 
I've tried this a few times but never comes close to replace my addiction to these things:

https://thrivemarket.com/p/rhythm-zesty-nacho-kale-chips

Tofu gets a bad rap but it's a good addition to any stir fry.

When using firm tofu, it's worth the time to press the excess water out before cooking.  Slice the block in half or thirds lengthwise and place between a couple of sheets of paper towels.  Put a plate on top of the top towel and then something heavy on top of the plate.  Cans work well for this.  Let it drain for an hour changing out the bottom towel layer halfway through.

Some people advocate marinating tofu after pressing the water out but I prefer to fry the pressed tofu first before marinating.

Tofu gets a bad rap but it's a good addition to any stir fry.

When using firm tofu, it's worth the time to press the excess water out before cooking.  Slice the block in half or thirds lengthwise and place between a couple of sheets of paper towels.  Put a plate on top of the top towel and then something heavy on top of the plate.  Cans work well for this.  Let it drain for an hour changing out the bottom towel layer halfway through.

Some people advocate marinating tofu after pressing the water out but I prefer to fry the pressed tofu first before marinating.
I've been grilling it for my wife for years and that process got a *LOT* easier when I got one of these for xmas last year.  Good tips on pressing it; helps quite a bit when I grill.  I do advocate marinating prior to grilling, but my wife subscribes to your method when she pan fries it.

My wife and I went to a Mediterranean diet, which is 80% vegetarian, about 2 years ago.  Like you, I haven't missed my previous diet that much.

We found many of them in this cookbook as well as this one.
This is what I am aiming for. A definite step up from the fried junk I used to live on.  A little meat, a little cheese, and a lot of what I need to keep going forward. 

I have a friend with a 101 year old mother in almost perfect physical health. Guess what part of the world she was born and raised in?

i wouldnt be surprised if the % of meat-eaters and vegetarians flip-flopped in the next generation, and am pretty sure if i was young i'd be veganish, but i have never understood pretend meat. veggie dogs, beanburgers, saitan pastrami & such. weird -

i wouldnt be surprised if the % of meat-eaters and vegetarians flip-flopped in the next generation, and am pretty sure if i was young i'd be veganish, but i have never understood pretend meat. veggie dogs, beanburgers, saitan pastrami & such. weird -
What I never understood was the whole burger king thing.  Is a vegan actually going to a burger king for food?  And is a burger king customer going to order this more than maybe once?

I made chili with BeyondTM ground beef.  It tasted like all the other ingredients but the fake meat added a bit of meaty texture that's lacking in vegetarian chili.  I don't know if I'd cook it again but I thought putting it into a dish instead of ground beef was definitely better than a slab of fake burger on a bun.

As far as the Burger King and other imitation foods topic goes. I think this was touched on in the Beyond meat thread, but everyone’s reason for being Vegan or Vegetarian is different. Whether it be health/taste/ethical etc.... I don’t think most Vegans eat Burger King or imitation meats on a daily basis. It’s more of a convenience than anything I’d imagine (similar to most fast or frozen foods). These foods just happen to not involve taking the life of a living thing. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I love this Sweet potato chili recipe.
very similar to the Halloween chili i put up on the cooking thread. i came up w it 20 yrs ago to please a gf's kid who was upset that there wasn't any orange & black food for him to serve at his Halloween party. i blenderized everything but the black beans so they would most strikingly contrast for the occasion. i also prefer a combo of ancho & habanero to chipotle as the spicerizer

What I never understood was the whole burger king thing.  Is a vegan actually going to a burger king for food?  And is a burger king customer going to order this more than maybe once?
Well, today I had a burrito bowl for lunch with spicy beyond sausage. I wasn't necessarily craving sausage as much as wanting some extra protein. I like the beyond sausage better than the ground beef - the herbal flavour of it is easier to match I think. 

I think you can ethically think killing a cow for food is wrong and still crave a hamburger though, especially if you've eaten them regularly for years before going vegetarian or vegan. 

No doubt.  I hate all the mayo and bs ingredients normally associated with potato salad so definitely going to give this a go.  Look forward to it.  

This looks awesome!
It really is, both hot and cold (hot is better IMO)

If I can make a suggestion... I've cooked the veggies in both a roasting pan and a flat cookie tray.  When I did it in the roasting pan it came out a bit oily (sides probably held it in) but when I did the cookie sheet it cooked off and I liked it better. You may want to cut back on the oil just a tad if you use a roasting pan but its really personal preference

This is what I am aiming for. A definite step up from the fried junk I used to live on.  A little meat, a little cheese, and a lot of what I need to keep going forward. 

I have a friend with a 101 year old mother in almost perfect physical health. Guess what part of the world she was born and raised in?
South Jersey?

If I can make a suggestion... I've cooked the veggies in both a roasting pan and a flat cookie tray.  When I did it in the roasting pan it came out a bit oily (sides probably held it in) but when I did the cookie sheet it cooked off and I liked it better. You may want to cut back on the oil just a tad if you use a roasting pan but its really personal preference
An 18 x 26 sheet pan is ideal for roasting vegetables.  There's just enough of a lip to prevent run off but not so high to affect heat flow.  The standard width of aluminum foil covers the short side of the pan to simplify cleanup.

Meatless Thursday is screwed up for the second consecutive week.  Last Thursday was Thanksgiving and our leftovers carried through the weekend.  This week I defrosted some tri-tip yesterday but we ended up getting invited to go out for dinner.  So it's Meat Thursday today.

I did get some lentils so I'm looking for a non-Indian lentils recipe for Meatless Makeup sometime over the weekend.

Meatless Thursday is screwed up for the second consecutive week.  Last Thursday was Thanksgiving and our leftovers carried through the weekend.  This week I defrosted some tri-tip yesterday but we ended up getting invited to go out for dinner.  So it's Meat Thursday today.

I did get some lentils so I'm looking for a non-Indian lentils recipe for Meatless Makeup sometime over the weekend.
This lentil soup is pretty good and can be easily modified to your liking.

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 cups water
5 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth
1 (12-ounce) package dried lentils, washed and drained
3 carrots, finely chopped
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper

In a soup pot over medium heat, heat oil; saute onion and garlic 3 minutes. Add remaining ingredients; bring to a boil over medium-high heat.  

Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 50 minutes, or until lentils are tender. Discard bay leaf before serving.

This lentil soup is pretty good and can be easily modified to your liking.

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 cups water
5 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth
1 (12-ounce) package dried lentils, washed and drained
3 carrots, finely chopped
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper

In a soup pot over medium heat, heat oil; saute onion and garlic 3 minutes. Add remaining ingredients; bring to a boil over medium-high heat.  

Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 50 minutes, or until lentils are tender. Discard bay leaf before serving.
Thanks.  I should have said non-Indian and non-soup :bag:

I'm considering this recipe for crushed puy lentils with cumin and tahini.  I've also been looking for a vegan cassoulet recipes but I don't know if you can call it cassoulet without chunks of fatty mean sitting in it.

Users who are viewing this thread