What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Clyde Edwards-Helaire, KC (3 Viewers)

LSU junior RB Clyde Edwards-Helaire handled 18 carries for 87 yards and caught four passes for 49 yards in Saturday's 50-7 win over Texas A&M.

LSU’s passing game did most of the work in this one. Edwards-Helaire didn’t need to be anything more than a means to stay on schedule. The 5-foot-8, 209-pound runner did his job effectively, earning a respectable 4.8 yards per carry and a handful of effective receptions. Edwards-Helaire’s touchdown put him at 16 touchdowns on the year.

Nov 30, 2019, 10:42 PM ET

I’d be stunned if he was a 4.36 guy but his main value is in versatility and really low center of gravity. He’s also smart, makes consistently good decisions. Re @BigTex’s MJD comp, he’s not as big/thick in his lower body but he’s very hard to knock off his base and bounces off of tackles; so I like the comparison as far as tackle breaking. I don’t know if I see him as a future RB1 in the NFL but I tend to undervalue LSU players (kind of a reverse bias I guess). 

Last edited by a moderator:
According to Sports Illustrated's Ross Dellenger, LSU junior RB Clyde Edwards-Helaire suffered an apparent hamstring injury during practice on Monday.

Edwards-Helaire (5'8/209) may not receive as much attention as QB Joe Burrow or the team's talented wide receivers when people discuss LSU's offensive resurgence, but he's been an important player for the Tigers this season. In addition to Dellenger's report, Brody Miller of The Athletic reported that the junior running back suffered the non-contact injury while executing a juke. More will be learned about Edwards-Helaire's status for LSU's December 28 Chik-Fil-A Peach Bowl matchup with Oklahoma Wednesday night when HC Ed Orgeron meets with the media. Edwards-Helaire has rushed for 1,290 yards and 16 touchdowns this season, with an average of 6.5 yards per carry.

SOURCE: Ross Dellenger on Twitter

Dec 18, 2019, 3:52 PM ET

According to Pro Football Focus, LSU junior RB Clyde Edwards-Helaire led the SEC with 58 forced missed tackles.

"Missed tackles" is a bit broader than broken tackles, which implies direct contact with a defender, but the broadness of the stat makes it no less impressive. Edwards-Helaire has been on a tear this season, proving to be one of the strongest and most explosive backs in the country when working between the tackles. Though just 5-foot-8, 209-pounds, Edwards-Helaire runs as mean as anyone in the country. Edwards-Helaire's 58 forced missed tackles was tied with Mississippi State's Kylin Hill.

SOURCE: PFF College on Twitter

Dec 25, 2019, 8:39 PM ET

LSU junior RB Clyde Edwards-Helaire handled 16 carries for 110 yards while catching five passes for 54 yards in Monday's 42-25 victory over Clemson in the CFP National Championship presented by AT&T.

It took Edwards-Helaire (5'8/209) a bit to get going, but once he did, there was no slowing him down again. Edwards-Helaire finished with nearly seven yards per carry, serving as a tool to choke Clemson out of the game in the second half. He had battled a hamstring issue leading up to this game, so it's quite the feat that he could perform so well against a fierce Clemson defense. Expect an official announcement on Edwards-Helaire's NFL Draft status in the next few days.

Jan 14, 2020, 1:05 AM ET

Love his lateral agility, but the speed/stop-start reminds me a bit of Montgomery. He’s somebody I’ll be watching closely at the combine. 

What I liked is he ran hard every time he touched the ball.  Was a force to be taken down.  Not only that, bonus points to have the awareness to stay in bounds and keep the clock running when he could have tried for more yards.

That sidestep of his was insane.  Literally went 3-4 yards sideways on skates.  I don't particularly love his overall outlook though.  
What concerns you on outlook (more insight, research purposes)?

What I liked is he ran hard every time he touched the ball.  Was a force to be taken down.  Not only that, bonus points to have the awareness to stay in bounds and keep the clock running when he could have tried for more yards.

What concerns you on outlook (more insight, research purposes)?
Mostly just size.  He's thickly built for sure, but the 5'8" RB doesn't really exist right now for feature workload potential.  Maybe he's a good 1a to someone's 1b on a team or fantasy squad.  I'm not really sure.  But Frank Gore being the last one, and he's had one hell of a career, I don't see special with Clyde so he's likely to just be another smallish RB who could be good.  

The kid can play! He’s a bowling ball in cleats!

Tex
He just has to be drafted by a team with a competent coach that realizes that you don't have to be 6-0+, 220+ lbs to be a 3 down back....Chris Johnson.

That's what I thought I was getting years ago with Gio Bernard. Clyde has what it takes at the next level.

Someone will draft him. At some point he’ll get a chance, let’s hope it’s with the right team.

Tex

MJD comp is one of those you hear and just doesn't go away.  Combine stats will be interesting.  Good center of gravity and hands.

LSU RB Clyde Edwards-Helaire declared for the 2020 NFL Draft.

Edwards-Helaire became one of the nation's most feared dual-threat backs in LSU's vaunted offense last fall. He not only ran for 1,414 yards and 16 TD, but CEH really did damage in the passing game, recording a 55-453-1 receiving line; 43 of those catches coming in the final eight games. Edwards-Helaire is ranked No. 8 on Mel Kiper's most recent big board. Even in a very deep running back class, Edwards-Helaire is a strong bet to get taken on Day 2 assuming his pre-draft process is anywhere near as good as his 2019 season. His game perfectly suits today's NFL.

SOURCE: ESPN

Jan 16, 2020, 2:50 PM ET

Trevor Sikkema@TampaBayTre

Not a total prospect comp, but Edwards-Helaire gives me the same kind of vibes I got from Josh Jacobs during last year's process. Not the biggest or fastest dude, but his game is so well-rounded that he'll have a better career than most of the bigger, faster RBs in this class

----------------------------------------------------------------------

📽️ >>>>>    VIDEO LINK >>>>  CEH leading the way

The Athletic's Dane Brugler ranks LSU RB Clyde Edwards-Helaire fourth among running backs prior to the NFL Scouting Combine in the 2020 NFL Draft class.

Edwards-Helaire may have seen his stock rise more than any running back in the class after his 2019 season, and his stock also improved after Clemson RB Travis Etienne stunned by deciding to return to school. "While he is quicker than fast, Edwards-Helaire always has an escape plan with his elusive quickness, determined vision and low center of gravity to break tackles," Brugler writes. He also notes that the 5-foot-8, 209-pound tailback is a "master" of hidden yardage gains, with the ability to turn negative carries into positive ones. Right now, Edwards-Helaire projects as a Day 2 prospect, and it shouldn't shock anyone if the former LSU star went in the second round.

SOURCE: The Athletic

Feb 8, 2020, 2:01 PM ET

He's a very good receiver coming out of the backfield, that counts in PPR FF the last time I checked.

Why would his height matter at RB? - he's 210 pounds which at that height is very solid. 
Basically just my preference.  I like his overall game, just wish he were taller.  He could be very good, but it's unlikely he finishes as a top10 fantasy producer consistently.  If he does, that'll be the sell window.  

These were based on FFPC scoring but this is a little info I gathered a year ago.  Also based on playerprofiler numbers, which they might have changed playing weights and they don't do 1/8 of inches on height, they round.  

You're average top30 fantasy scoring RB's from 2016, 2017 and 2018 are 70.56, 70.3, and 70.8 inches tall and 216.7, 214.03, 213.53 pounds.

You're average top12 fantasy scoring RB's are 71.42, 71.25, 71.25 inches tall and 220.75, 219.5, and 216.66 pounds.  

In 2016 there were 2 RB's in the top10 who were below 5'10.  Devonta Freeman and Mark Ingram.  Gore was RB13 that year at 5'9.  

2017 there was only 1 top10 performance below 5'10, Ingram.

2018 there were 2, James White and Tarik Cohen.  

Basically just my preference.  I like his overall game, just wish he were taller.  He could be very good, but it's unlikely he finishes as a top10 fantasy producer consistently.  If he does, that'll be the sell window.  

These were based on FFPC scoring but this is a little info I gathered a year ago.  Also based on playerprofiler numbers, which they might have changed playing weights and they don't do 1/8 of inches on height, they round.  

You're average top30 fantasy scoring RB's from 2016, 2017 and 2018 are 70.56, 70.3, and 70.8 inches tall and 216.7, 214.03, 213.53 pounds.

You're average top12 fantasy scoring RB's are 71.42, 71.25, 71.25 inches tall and 220.75, 219.5, and 216.66 pounds.  

In 2016 there were 2 RB's in the top10 who were below 5'10.  Devonta Freeman and Mark Ingram.  Gore was RB13 that year at 5'9.  

2017 there was only 1 top10 performance below 5'10, Ingram.

2018 there were 2, James White and Tarik Cohen.  
I see no connection between RB height and success. I think we can just chalk this up to 5'8" is below average height in the general population and certainly among football players - so of course the numbers will be skewed towards taller players.

I see no connection between RB height and success. I think we can just chalk this up to 5'8" is below average height in the general population and certainly among football players - so of course the numbers will be skewed towards taller players.
Normally I agree with you and Eric Dickerson surely does, but it seems to me taller RBs get hurt more often because they are more susceptible to bigger hits.  Also, bigger backs seem to wear down quicker than smaller backs and have a shorter career.  I could be wrong about that however, but it seems that way to me.

So Daniel Jeremiah has him as RB3 and broke them off in tiers and Hellaire ends tier one. Bucky Brooks has him as RB2.  Brugler has him as RB4.

That's some pretty strong rankings from some pretty solid evaluators, especially the two who worked in the league.

Yes I keep hearing people in this board talk about a big 3 RB's and they usually don't include him. If people don't like him now they probably won't warm up after the combine because  I don't think he's going to run so great. I doubt the lack of warming up to him keeps up post NFL draft, but if it does I see myself owning immense shares of CEH.

Normally I agree with you and Eric Dickerson surely does, but it seems to me taller RBs get hurt more often because they are more susceptible to bigger hits.  Also, bigger backs seem to wear down quicker than smaller backs and have a shorter career.  I could be wrong about that however, but it seems that way to me.
I meant (lack of) height, in this context, shouldn't be a deterrent. I honestly can't understand how 5'8" is an issue. I could see it if he was 180 pounds but at 209 how is it a concern?

So Daniel Jeremiah has him as RB3 and broke them off in tiers and Hellaire ends tier one. Bucky Brooks has him as RB2.  Brugler has him as RB4.

That's some pretty strong rankings from some pretty solid evaluators, especially the two who worked in the league.

Yes I keep hearing people in this board talk about a big 3 RB's and they usually don't include him. If people don't like him now they probably won't warm up after the combine because  I don't think he's going to run so great. I doubt the lack of warming up to him keeps up post NFL draft, but if it does I see myself owning immense shares of CED.
I personally consider it to be a top tier of 5 (Swift, Dobbins, Taylor, Akers, CEH).  Landing spot will differentiate them but I’d be happy to add any of them 

I personally consider it to be a top tier of 5 (Swift, Dobbins, Taylor, Akers, CEH).  Landing spot will differentiate them but I’d be happy to add any of them 
Not to far off from how I have it. I actually add Zach Moss to the group and have it in two tiers among my top 6 but key is your last line. Landing spot will differentiate their value. I got Swift and Dobbins as tier one, the other 4 make up tier two.  Either way nice to have at least 6 nice looking RB options because I got a ton of picks in the 7-8 range and this not only adds to my chances of landing a RB but having a chance to land a Jeudy or Lamb that late.

The big 3 have their own tier imo. After which it's take your pick of Harris, CEH, Moss, Akers and whoever else. I think the fantasy rankings of the 2nd+ tier shifts a lot during the next few months. Good possibility CEH is one of those guys fantasy people like a lot more than NFL people.

The big 3 have their own tier imo. After which it's take your pick of Harris, CEH, Moss, Akers and whoever else. I think the fantasy rankings of the 2nd+ tier shifts a lot during the next few months. Good possibility CEH is one of those guys fantasy people like a lot more than NFL people.
Regarding the last bolded line it's actually the opposite and I reference the first bolded as exhibit A.  This is what I mentioned a few posts up.

Regarding the last bolded line it's actually the opposite and I reference the first bolded as exhibit A.  This is what I mentioned a few posts up.
This time of year there's a lot of different rankings from different evaluators, including ourselves. There's a couple who have Zack Moss like RB1 or something. Thing is, we won't really know what the NFL thinks until the draft. I very well could be wrong about the buzz slowly disappearing for CEH, I'm just spit balling here. 

I like him a lot as a receiving back in particular, but he feels like one of those guys that is so underrated they become overrated (I'd make asimilar comment about Akers and Moss honesly).

Most overrated prospect on this board.

MJD II? Not even close.

MJD was the starter on his team from freshman yr and on.  Clyde Edwards Helaire? It took him until the Jr. yr to start for his team and he couldn't even beat out Nick Brossette his sophomore yr. Their #'s? Almost identical. How much was Edwards-Helaire's improvement during his Jr yr was dependent on Burrow? Did they drop back and let him run the ball because of Burrow's passing skills? 

Can someone name a RB drafted in the 1st 3 rds in the NFL draft that took him until the JR yr to start for his team and ended up being productive in the NFL? I can't think of one.

Most overrated prospect on this board.

Can someone name a RB drafted in the 1st 3 rds in the NFL draft that took him until the JR yr to start for his team and ended up being productive in the NFL? I can't think of one.
Not even trying to be confrontational when I say I consider him the underrated prospect on this board.

As for your question just go back to last year.

Not even trying to be confrontational when I say I consider him the underrated prospect on this board.

As for your question just go back to last year.
um, how about another RB that blocked another from starting until the Jr yr? Brosette isn't exactly Saquon.

There's gotta be a reason, right? Nick Brosette avg'd 20 carries/yr during his freshman thru Jr yr. and then all of a sudden starts over Clyde. I do not think star College football really develop. You either have it or you don't.

um, how about another RB that blocked another from starting until the Jr yr? Brosette isn't exactly Saquon.

There's gotta be a reason, right? Nick Brosette avg'd 20 carries/yr during his freshman thru Jr yr. and then all of a sudden starts over Clyde. I do not think star College football really develop. You either have it or you don't.
That's not the question you asked. That's called a moving target.

And I was not just talking about Miles Sanders. Josh Jacobs was not the primary ball carrier at Alabama either.

You say you can't recall it happening and that's literally the top two RB's from last year. 

Users who are viewing this thread