What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Clyde Edwards-Helaire, KC (4 Viewers)

This might explain some of CEH's struggles this year

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29939464/2020-nfl-pass-rushing-run-stopping-blocking-leaderboard-win-rate-rankings#rbwrteam

Team Run Block Win Rate

1. Green Bay Packers, 74%
2. Philadelphia Eagles, 73%
3. Baltimore Ravens, 73%
4. Washington Football Team, 73%
5. Arizona Cardinals, 73%
6. Cincinnati Bengals, 72%
7. Houston Texans, 72%
8. Carolina Panthers, 72%
9. New England Patriots, 72%
10. Indianapolis Colts, 71%
11. Chicago Bears, 71%
12. Dallas Cowboys, 71%
13. New Orleans Saints, 71%
14. New York Giants, 71%
15. Minnesota Vikings, 71%
16. Cleveland Browns, 70%
17. Los Angeles Rams, 70%
18. Tennessee Titans, 70%
19. Detroit Lions, 70%
20. Tampa Bay Buccaneers, 70%
21. Denver Broncos, 70%
22. Seattle Seahawks, 70%
23. Miami Dolphins, 69%
24. San Francisco 49ers, 69%
25. Jacksonville Jaguars, 69%
26. Buffalo Bills, 69%
27. Pittsburgh Steelers, 69%
28. Atlanta Falcons, 69%
29. Las Vegas Raiders, 68%
30. New York Jets, 68%
31. Los Angeles Chargers, 67%
32. Kansas City Chiefs, 67%
Thank you for posting this. I am stunned that the Eagles are second.

Clyde Edwards-Helaire (hip, ankle) was limited during Wednesday's practice. 

That would seem to put the rookie on track to play this week against the Rams. CEH worked as the team's unquestioned primary back with 36 touches in his final two games of the regular season before the hip and ankle injuries. Edwards-Helaire could be a cheap source of touches in this week's four-game DFS slate. 

RELATED: 

Le'Veon Bell

SOURCE: Adam Teicher on Twitter 

Jan 13, 2021, 4:37 PM ET

Clyde Edwards-Helaire (hip) was downgraded to "DNP" on Thursday. 

CEH was limited on Wednesday coming off the Chiefs' bye week. It's possible this is part of a pre-planned routine to manage CEH's reps, but it's still a bad sign for a player who went down in Week 15. Edwards-Helaire should now be considered on the wrong side of questionable for Sunday's Divisional Round showdown with the Browns. His absence would leave Le'Veon Bell and Darrel Williams to sort out touches in the Chiefs' backfield. The last time things mattered for the Chiefs in Week 16, coach Andy Reid featured Williams over Bell. 

Jan 14, 2021, 2:52 PM ET

For people in fantasy playoffs; any Chiefs fans have insight to who would be the guy to use if Clyde doesn't play Sunday? Bell or Williams?

Clyde Edwards-Helaire (hip) is questionable for the Divisional Round against the Browns.

CEH got in some practice reps this week, and coach Andy Reid said the Chiefs will take this thing up to game time to decide if the rookie back is ready to return after getting hurt in Week 15. He's had three weeks of rest, but the injury looked significant at the time, so it's no surprise Edwards-Helaire is still fighting it. If he sits, Le'Veon Bell and Darrel Williams will split duties.

Jan 15, 2021, 2:36 PM ET

ericttspikes said:
For people in fantasy playoffs; any Chiefs fans have insight to who would be the guy to use if Clyde doesn't play Sunday? Bell or Williams?
Both. Probably Thompson also.

None of them will get a lions share of carries in my opinion.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Chiefs RB Clyde Edwards-Helaire (ankle, hip) "has an uphill battle" to play in the Divisional Round against the Browns.

One would assume that Le'Veon Bell would be in line to take the bulk of CEH's workload on but Week 16 muddies the waters a bit. Darrel Williams out-carried Bell 10-7 and out-targeted him 6-1 in the Chiefs' final meaningful regular season game. Whoever gets the majority of the backfield touches for an offense as potent as Kansas City's is going to be valuable. Knowing which back that will be before kickoff may be impossible. 

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Jan 17, 2021, 9:32 AM ET

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Chiefs RB Clyde Edwards-Helaire (hip, questionable) is expected to play in the Conference Championship game against the Bills.

CEH has been out since Week 15 while dealing with hip and ankle injuries. Darrel Williams has played well as the starter with him out and has notably gotten more work than Le'Veon Bell, who is not expected to play today. After logging nearly two weeks of limited practices, CEH is likely as close to healthy as he's going to get at this time of year. The split between him and Williams will be murky until kickoff but both are viable tournament options in DFS.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Jan 24, 2021, 9:00 AM ET

Clyde Edwards-Helaire (ankle, hip) will be active for the AFC Championship Game against the Bills. 

The report comes via FOX's Jay Glazer. It will be CEH's first appearance since Week 15. With Le'Veon Bell (knee) looking doubtful, Chiefs backfield work will fall to CEH and Darrel Williams. It has been Williams who has taken the lead in CEH's absence, and it will probably remain Williams between the tackles against the Bills. CEH's touches are extremely difficult to project following the long layoff, but he will not lack for DFS upside in a game with a 54.5 over/under. 

SOURCE: Jay Glazer on Twitter 

Jan 24, 2021, 2:48 PM ET

Clyde Edwards-Helaire rushed six times for seven yards and one touchdown in the Chiefs' AFC Championship win over the Bills.

His one catch went for no gain, so CEH produced seven yards on his seven touches but did find the end zone from one yard out in the second quarter. It was the rookie's first action since injuring his hip in Week 15. It was still Darrel Williams who led this backfield with Le'Veon Bell injured and inactive, as Williams' 14 touches went for 61 yards and one score. Look for Edwards-Helaire to get his hip even closer to 100% over the next two weeks before taking on the Bucs in the Super Bowl. The Chiefs, however, seem to like what Williams is giving them right now.

- Rotoworld

I know that CEH is locked in KC for the next 4 years and he’s coming back off an injury, but I can’t help but be worried about his outlook going forward. Why run when you can throw every play with Mahomes. The numbers bear it out that it’s more efficient to have Mahomes throw the ball. On top of that Damien Williams might be back in the fold next year, Darrel Williams is possibly carving out a role and trust in this playoff run and they could even consider signing another cheap vet (like LBell this year). 

I know that CEH is locked in KC for the next 4 years and he’s coming back off an injury, but I can’t help but be worried about his outlook going forward. Why run when you can throw every play with Mahomes. The numbers bear it out that it’s more efficient to have Mahomes throw the ball. On top of that Damien Williams might be back in the fold next year, Darrel Williams is possibly carving out a role and trust in this playoff run and they could even consider signing another cheap vet (like LBell this year). 
They invested a 1st round pick in CEH.  They surely want to utilize him to some extent.  Andy Reid's offense has usually been pretty good to RB's.  He'll be utilized a lot in the passing game.  And the offense will generate a ton of TD's--and he'll benefit from that.  Look at Hunt's numbers in KC prior to all of his behavior problems.  

As far as his competition:

1.  Leveon Bell:  I'm firmly in the "he's washed up" camp.  But if you're not, consider that he was inactive for this game.  The same game where CEH was returning from injury.  I hardly see him as a threat.

2.  Damien Williams:  He's a JAG that struck fire in the playoffs by virute of being on an elite offense.  He'll be 29.  He'll be a year out of his last competitive football.  I figured he'd be a guy that they trust as they eased CEH into the fold this year.  But after being a year out--I don't see him as a major threat.

3.  Darrell Williams:  Played well today.  I don't think he's a special back.  I don't think they would have used a 1st on CEH if they felt Williams was the guy.  

You'll probably see Damien/Darrell steal a few carries.  CEH isn't a 25 carry back.  You may see him be closer to 12-15 carries and 4-5 catches, 16-18 total touches a game.  But...in this offense, you want that guy.  

I'll buy low everywhere I can.

I just don’t see anything special with him, really. He looks easily replaceable. I feel like Swift in his offense would have been an absolute monster. 

I just don’t see anything special with him, really. He looks easily replaceable. I feel like Swift in his offense would have been an absolute monster. 
Disregarding what we think about the talent, I don't think Swift would be any different if he was used how CEH has been...if the goal was to have more of a "power" back (because that is how he has been used) they should have gone with Taylor...he fits that style better.

Disregarding what we think about the talent, I don't think Swift would be any different if he was used how CEH has been...if the goal was to have more of a "power" back (because that is how he has been used) they should have gone with Taylor...he fits that style better.
Maybe? Swift just seems a lot more dynamic to me. I think he’d have some big plays that Clyde just hasn’t really been able to deliver. I’d be interested in knowing what the deciding factor in choosing him over a Taylor, Swift or even Dobbins really was. I don’t mean to sound like a hater, he’s a fine player. I just thought it was an interesting choice then, and do now even more so. 

JoeJoe88 said:
Maybe? Swift just seems a lot more dynamic to me. I think he’d have some big plays that Clyde just hasn’t really been able to deliver. I’d be interested in knowing what the deciding factor in choosing him over a Taylor, Swift or even Dobbins really was. I don’t mean to sound like a hater, he’s a fine player. I just thought it was an interesting choice then, and do now even more so. 
The thing I see is the way they use CEH does not seem to give him an opportunity for big plays and really doesn’t play to his strengths...they are using him as a grinder which I 100% did not expect when they drafted him...because they chose him over the other backs I really thought they saw a real creative way to use him (which is why they took him) and that just has not been the case...KC does so much right on offense but this is one are I don’t understand...they would have been far better off with Taylor or Dobbins with how they have used the RB position this year.

CEH is a huge buy this offseason.  The narrative is sooo dumb.  Wait until he gets involved as the 3rd down back next year. 

Reap the rewards of the recency bias of others.  Lacking offseason and pass blocking prowess is most likely why he was not involved in the pass game, but the early down work was the main concern coming into the season. 

Prey on the fickle nature of other dynasty owners and get him cheap. 

CEH is a huge buy this offseason.  The narrative is sooo dumb.  Wait until he gets involved as the 3rd down back next year. 

Reap the rewards of the recency bias of others.  Lacking offseason and pass blocking prowess is most likely why he was not involved in the pass game, but the early down work was the main concern coming into the season. 

Prey on the fickle nature of other dynasty owners and get him cheap. 
This.  

CEH is pretty much undraftable next year, his price is going to be way too high.  Don't be the sucker in your league that reaches for him hoping for a piece of the KC offense that will never materialize (similar to this year).  Use that early pick or those auction dollars on an actual difference maker. 

It's hard to say for sure without seeing what his ADP will be next season, but if I remember I'm going to come back next year and give more definitive recommendations on who to draft instead of him. 

I also disagree with the others saying to buy low, I think now is the time to sell high while there still are believers with unrealistic hopes for CEH. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Did he get hurt? I saw him get cracked real hard on the 3rd down pass on the drive to start the second half and I don’t think I saw him come in again.

Did he get hurt? I saw him get cracked real hard on the 3rd down pass on the drive to start the second half and I don’t think I saw him come in again.
Don’t think he got hurt, he was just ineffective and Williams was looking good with his touches compared to CEH.  CEH maybe still wasn’t at 100% health from his previous injuries, at least as an owner, that’s what I am hoping.

He did indeed get absolutely smoked with a helmet-to-helmet hit by Poyer, but I don't remember him being really effective regardless. He had only rushed six times for seven yards or something really pedestrian like that. Williams was getting the yards and the ball. I also doubt you can extrapolate anything meaningful about his future usage from the game. Next year is a new year. He was pretty much a nonentity the second half of this year save for one 20 point Half PPR game, but he should get a fresh start with all that draft capital in the next year. For the year in half PPR from Weeks 1-16, he wound up as RB19 in total and RB22 for average ppg. Not where he was slated to finish in redraft, but dynasty is a different animal. Maybe he gets better.

CEH is pretty much undraftable next year, his price is going to be way too high.  Don't be the sucker in your league that reaches for him hoping for a piece of the KC offense that will never materialize (similar to this year).  Use that early pick or those auction dollars on an actual difference maker. 

It's hard to say for sure without seeing what his ADP will be next season, but if I remember I'm going to come back next year and give more definitive recommendations on who to draft instead of him. 

I also disagree with the others saying to buy low, I think now is the time to sell high while there still are believers with unrealistic hopes for CEH. 
Agree on redraft. Currently going at #36, ahead of Gibson, Keenan Allen, DJ Moore, and Terry McLaurin, all of whom I would take before him. 

Clyde Edwards-Helaire (ankle, hip) practiced fully Thursday. 

A full session is an upgrade for the rookie, who was limited during Wednesday's practice. He returned to the field last week against the Bills, handling seven touches and scoring a touchdown in the Chiefs' AFC title game victory. With Le'Veon Bell (knee) sidelined last week, Edwards-Helaire played 49 percent of KC's offensive snaps while Darrel Williams played 46 percent. Bell is expected back for the Super Bowl, though CEH -- fully recovered from his hip and ankle injuries -- is the favorite to lead the backfield in touches against Tampa. 

RELATED: 

Darrel Williams

, Le'Veon Bell

SOURCE: Kansas City Chiefs on Twitter 

Jan 28, 2021, 3:55 PM ET

Clyde Edwards-Helaire rushed nine times for 64 yards in the Chiefs' Super Bowl LV loss to the Bucs, adding two receptions for 23 additional yards. 

CEH finally re-emerged as the lead back, but he lacked for opportunities in a game where the Chiefs played from behind the entire evening. The first running back off the board in April’s draft, CEH started off with a bang with a 25/138/1 Week 1 on the ground. It would end up his second biggest effort of the year, one that hinted at struggles between the tackle after he was stopped over and over again at the goal line. CEH cleared 50 yards rushing just two times after Week 6, while his receptions total of 38 didn’t live up to expectations. CEH’s 1,100 yards from scrimmage ended up fourth amongst rookies but did not come close to justifying his lofty summer ADP. Slowed by hip, ankle and illness issues, Edwards-Helaire missed a few games down the stretch and seemed to be wearing down when he did take the field. It was a “more questions than answers” rookie campaign, one that will undoubtedly have Edwards-Helaire facing summer competition in the backfield. He is still talented enough that a sophomore breakthrough is well within the range of possibilities. 

Feb 7, 2021, 10:32 PM ET

I'm team buy low here.  

Draft capital, KC offense, Reid's history of using RB's in the passing game:  He was a 1st rounder last year for a reason.  He failed to deliver.  But now ADP is in the 3rd round.  I'm probably buying a lot there.  

What does buy-low for last year's 1.01/1.02 draft pick mean?  Not a dig at the concept or aim here, just curious if people bailing on CEH is starting to happen.  2 future firsts projected to be late?  Middle of the pack guys this year like Javonte Williams or the ‘Bama WRs?

What does buy-low for last year's 1.01/1.02 draft pick mean?  Not a dig at the concept or aim here, just curious if people bailing on CEH is starting to happen.  2 future firsts projected to be late?  Middle of the pack guys this year like Javonte Williams or the ‘Bama WRs?
As an example, this trade was completed at our recent draft.

1.01 (Harris)/2.03 (St. Brown) for CEH/1.07 (Waddle)

I'm team buy low here.  

Draft capital, KC offense, Reid's history of using RB's in the passing game:  He was a 1st rounder last year for a reason.  He failed to deliver.  But now ADP is in the 3rd round.  I'm probably buying a lot there.  
The same stuff was said last year. I was team "sell" last year and I still would be.

He just looks SO little out there.

I'd take him at a good spot in redraft but wouldn't be in any hurry.

The same stuff was said last year. I was team "sell" last year and I still would be.

I dunno. I knew I wasn't getting him anywhere in 2020 the moment he was drafted, but based on what I'm currently seeing I'm keeping an open mind. I think RB18 in redraft and RB16 in dynasty is about right - not long before the RB market goes over the cliff. I generally disregard RB's in that range and am looking at WR or a top TE that slipped, but I'd consider pivoting for this profile. As uninspiring as he looked last year I don't think much different about Josh Jacobs and David Montgomery except they have more than one season to reference...and CEH's rookie season obviously had some outside forces working against him that they didn't.

Remember that he would have been a top 5 rb in the first half of the season in ppr if he scored an extra td or two.  Now he'll have an off season learning how the best qb in the game wants him to run routes and block.

If you can grab him in the third round it's a steal.  Buy.

Remember that he would have been a top 5 rb in the first half of the season in ppr if he scored an extra td or two.  Now he'll have an off season learning how the best qb in the game wants him to run routes and block.

If you can grab him in the third round it's a steal.  Buy.
You mean if he'd scored more points he'd have ranked higher?

No me diga! :lol:

You mean if he'd scored more points he'd have ranked higher?

No me diga! :lol:
I mean if Andy Reid didn't decide to call three dive plays in a row in one of the times KC was on the line... (curses in fantasy football)

Edit - I originally wrote "draw plays" which might have worked.  I meant "dive" which of course didn't.

I mean if Andy Reid didn't decide to call three dive plays in a row in one of the times KC was on the line... (curses in fantasy football)

Edit - I originally wrote "draw plays" which might have worked.  I meant "dive" which of course didn't.
The problem here is that this is what Andy Reid does so you better bake his idiocy into the price.  He did it with Jamaal Charles, he did it with Westbrook, he does it with all his RB.

I guess I chalk a lot of it up to correctable forces.  He's a rookie.  He'll be better in his 2nd season.  He probably didn't have the best off-season program due to COVID. 

I got him in 1 keeper league, but in redrafts I wasn't willing to pay the 1st round price tag.  I definitely wasn't aggressively targeting him last year.

But a 3rd-4th round price tag--now suddenly he's a lot more intriguing.  I still think he has a very high ceiling in that offense.  

But a 3rd-4th round price tag--now suddenly he's a lot more intriguing.  I still think he has a very high ceiling in that offense.  
agree completely. I just traded for him & i’m excited about his development. Especially with Reid talking up using him in the passing game more & reports of CEH working at improvement in that area of his game. 

People underestimate how difficult the season was for rookies last year. Training camp & preseason are huge for player development. 

agree completely. I just traded for him & i’m excited about his development. Especially with Reid talking up using him in the passing game more & reports of CEH working at improvement in that area of his game. 

People underestimate how difficult the season was for rookies last year. Training camp & preseason are huge for player development. 
And the thing is his “bad” season is overstated IMO. He really was not “bad”. He did struggle around the goal line, wasn’t as involved in the passing game as many had hoped, and got hurt. I expect a mild improvement around the goal line due to the strengthening of the online and more involvement in the passing game. If he can stay healthy I think he easily ends up being a top ten RB in PPR.

And the thing is his “bad” season is overstated IMO. He really was not “bad”. He did struggle around the goal line, wasn’t as involved in the passing game as many had hoped, and got hurt. I expect a mild improvement around the goal line due to the strengthening of the online and more involvement in the passing game. If he can stay healthy I think he easily ends up being a top ten RB in PPR.

Agreed.  Its really hard to say exactly how much an injury affects most rookies, since often they don't have a full workload anyway.

I was NEVER a believer last year that he was going to be the top 5-6 RB that many guessed. (Mostly due to role/team) But all signs pointing up this season, and this situation looks like he could easily be a top 10 RB.

I've been getting CEH literally everywhere in mocks as my RB2, and he is one of my "go-to guys" this season.

Hopefully he stays healthy, and balls out this year.  Looking forward to getting him in as many spots as I realistically can.

TZM

Not exactly what you want to hear…

NFL Beat Writers Retweeted

Nate Taylor

@ByNateTaylor

·

34m

In 1-on-1 drills, Ben Niemann overwhelmed Clyde Edwards-Helaire in 2 repetitions. Eric Bieniemy wasn’t pleased.

Users who are viewing this thread