What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Clyde Edwards-Helaire, KC (2 Viewers)

Today is about what you can expect from CEH, he's not going to be a top RB.  I'm not sure why so many people keep pumping him. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it'll be a middle of the road game. Who are the Ravens going to keep up with? Dobbins, Edwards, Bateman, all out. So who? Andrews and Brown and Jackson shouldn't scare anybody.
The Browns put up 29 on Kansas City on the road. That was without OBJ.

I'd think Baltimore could reach 28 at least with that group.

The combined score of teams last year was fifty points. That means the average is around twenty-five. The Browns put up 29 with the same offense that nearly reached the AFC Championship Game last year.

What qualifies as a shootout? One would think it's significantly above average.

I doubt this turns into a shootout for Baltimore.

I don't really see the need to debate this too much. It was just an off-handed comment about what qualifies as a "shootout" and why Baltimore wouldn't deliver.

We can see if I'm prescient or wrong.

I'd lay good money that I'm correct.

Today is about what you can expect from CEH, he's not going to be a top RB.  I'm not sure why so many people keep pumping him. 
I agree he’s nothing special but it’s more about the offense he is part of than the player.
I think the jury remains out on CEH.

Seems like most draft pundits were surprised when CEH was drafted when he was - I recall that many thought Swift was going to be the guy in that spot.

Hard to go against the Chiefs brass when it comes to scouting talent, but it's starting to seem more and more that they overvalued CEH. Even Damien Williams thrived in this offense - hard to tell what is going on. 

Do you think KC missing the "Honey Badger" had any impact on Clev putting up points?  

Sorry, not the KC Team thread... but figured wth

Clyde Edwards-Helaire rushed 13 times for 46 yards in the Chiefs' Week 2 loss to the Ravens

It’s another rough game for Edwards-Helaire, who lost a fumble with under two minutes remaining to end the game. He also had a touchdown vultured by Darrel Williams in the first half. The good news is Edwards-Helaire continued to dominate the backfield carries, with Williams only getting three touches on 14 snaps. There should be better games ahead for Edwards-Helaire as the Chiefs’ uncontested three-down back. Edwards-Helaire is a back-end RB1 for Week 3 against the Chargers.

Sep 19, 2021, 11:43 PM ET

The dream of CEH getting any significant slice of the KC offense is over.  He is nothing more than an absolute desperation start at this point. 

I really thought he would be a great pick for them.

Early, but looks like I was wrong.

The size/speed people may have had it right. Been underwhelming so far, and when I looked at him for redraft I wasn't blown away by the rookie highlights.

Just doesn't have anything special in his locker to trouble NFL defenses. Even though he's got some nice feet and cuts, there's not enough speed and/or power to back it up.

Looking pretty JAG-y so far at the pro level.

The size/speed people may have had it right. Been underwhelming so far, and when I looked at him for redraft I wasn't blown away by the rookie highlights.

Just doesn't have anything special in his locker to trouble NFL defenses. Even though he's got some nice feet and cuts, there's not enough speed and/or power to back it up.

Agree. I thought the offense would help cover up the deficiencies he has but it hasn’t been the case. I wouldn’t be surprised if they added some stiffer competition next year at that position.

Agreed...will add that I really don't understand how they use him, definitely not what I thought was going to happen when they drafted him...I really thought they were going to be creative with him, especially in the passing game...for how they use him they would have been much better served drafting Taylor.

Another rough game last night, but I truly believe the Chiefs don't use him like they should..And maybe they don't need to use him because their offense is that good, but if CEH will have value the Chiefs scheme would have to change or they start using him more as a dump pass James White type guy. Even when Darrel Williams is in the game, he gets used different and is more efficient because of it.  

Not looking good for sure.  If this is what he does then KC will be investing in a replacement in this next draft I would imagine.  

Another rough game last night, but I truly believe the Chiefs don't use him like they should..And maybe they don't need to use him because their offense is that good, but if CEH will have value the Chiefs scheme would have to change or they start using him more as a dump pass James White type guy. Even when Darrel Williams is in the game, he gets used different and is more efficient because of it.  
Andy Reid, clowning around since 2001.

The shootout came. CEH owners did not. 
I was semi-wrong. There was more than average points scored. A shootout, to me, gets into the forty range. The average points scored in a football game is 50.5 last year. This one brought seventy-one, with a defensive score, making the offensive total sixty-four. That's a decent uptick. The Chiefs scored about average.

CEH, however, nobody in this household has been wrong about. He scored 2.6 fantasy points in standard leagues when his team scored thirty-five total points.

This isn't correct. He's had Westbrook and McCoy, two top flight fantasy guys.

CEH is nothing like those two.
And he badly misused them both.

edit: I had more Jamaal Charles on my mind than McCoy but Reid has 20 years of suddenly and unjustifiably just failing to get the ball to his monsters.  Yes, they all had dominant moments, but Reid never fed them the way they should have been. 

You're right, CEH isn't in the talent zip code with these guys but I wasn't really commenting on that, just my hatred of Reid's history of RB usage.

edit2: I'm also saltier than an anchovy that I fell for CEH at 1.01 in a couple of leagues simply because of landing spot.  I was all in on both Swift and Lamb talent wise but I had dreams of Kareem Hunt's 2017-18 dancing in my head.

Enough out of me. I'll show myself the way out. It seems like every game I'm in here to post what a bust he is, because he's such a bust.

I think part of the problem with CEH is that Mahomes just isn't a dump-off kind of guy.  With any other QB he'd get 2-3 targets a game just because nobody's open so might as well get a 5 yarder.  Mahomes can extend the play when nobody's open, and Kelce and Hill are potential long TD catches on every scramble drill.  Plus usually one of them does get open in the regular pattern so who needs scramble drills?

I agree CEH nothing special, maybe above average in a few categories.  As a first round pick for the Chiefs there were definitely better options available to them.  But he should still be a decent RB2 over the course of 2021 in fantasy.

I don’t blame Reid for usage. He made Westbrook, McCoy, Charles, Ware and Hunt all good to elite RBs. CEH just isn’t very good. Sorry guys, he’s not even a Michael Carter level player/prospect. He was given the great gift of having an open backfield as a senior on the best college offense ever. 

And he badly misused them both.

edit: I had more Jamaal Charles on my mind than McCoy but Reid has 20 years of suddenly and unjustifiably just failing to get the ball to his monsters.  Yes, they all had dominant moments, but Reid never fed them the way they should have been. 

You're right, CEH isn't in the talent zip code with these guys but I wasn't really commenting on that, just my hatred of Reid's history of RB usage.

edit2: I'm also saltier than an anchovy that I fell for CEH at 1.01 in a couple of leagues simply because of landing spot.  I was all in on both Swift and Lamb talent wise but I had dreams of Kareem Hunt's 2017-18 dancing in my head.
I did get what you were saying, but Reid has had guys that produced well. I get that his goal-line play calling leaves people with their jaws dropped. I wonder how historically well he does compared to league averages in the red zone. Can that even ever be held constant when you have Mahomes? I don't know.

I can't even bring myself to talk about my dealings with the 1.01. What I did was mind-boggling and probably worse than just taking Edwards-Helaire, sad to say.

Imagine Swift on this offense. You know, a back that can actually make game-breaking plays on his own, not just do the bare minimum everytime he touches the ball. Or Taylor, or even Dobbins. They probably don’t throw to CEH much because he’s slow and they can get more yards elsewhere. 

Imagine Swift on this offense. You know, a back that can actually make game-breaking plays on his own, not just do the bare minimum everytime he touches the ball. Or Taylor, or even Dobbins. They probably don’t throw to CEH much because he’s slow and they can get more yards elsewhere. 
You mean a back that couldn't be more brittle if he was frozen?

I was semi-wrong. There was more than average points scored. A shootout, to me, gets into the forty range. The average points scored in a football game is 50.5 last year. This one brought seventy-one, with a defensive score, making the offensive total sixty-four. That's a decent uptick. The Chiefs scored about average.

CEH, however, nobody in this household has been wrong about. He scored 2.6 fantasy points in standard leagues when his team scored thirty-five total points.

I dont really care but the avg points scored stat includes defensive scores.  But you want to throw it out in this individual game.  

I think it was a high scoring game bordering on shootout.  CEH did not show up.  indeed.

I dont really care but the avg points scored stat includes defensive scores.  But you want to throw it out in this individual game. 

That's a really fair point. All defensive scores count and I want people to magically forget it. I'm amenable to being wrong. I did not expect Baltimore to score 36 points. I was wrong about that.

I did not suggest taking that under, though. I merely said KC at -3.5 was the easiest line of the year.

I had a bad read on the game, a bad read on KC's defense. I can admit that. That's why you'll find I never gamble and I play fantasy football instead of pretending to be a sharp.

That's not a nasty tone. I'm just typing all I can about myself, actually. I was wrong on two fronts last night. I don't even try to play with sharps. That is...unwise.

You mean a back that couldn't be more brittle if he was frozen?
I mean, he missed three games last year, and if I remember correctly that was because of a concussion. I’m going to let the 22-year old play his second season before I start trying to label him as injury-prone. But I can guarantee you this: a frozen Swift is still better than a healthy CEH, or MEH if you will. 

And I also hold the opinion that I can't tell you who will breakout. I think that the data tell you who is more likely to miss, though, and that you can use that.

CEH was really targeted by data as a miss.

Brittle RB who never missed a game in college. I would rather have a player who is special but misses some time than a player who is mediocre but always available.
The latter part of his last college year was hampered by a shoulder injury. He missed time last year and is already hurting this year. 

He's your new Jahvid Best/Kerryon Johnson.

Anyway, I just thought it was a funny line - and this is the CEH thread.  

Some of those women are sneaky strong. CEH is neither sneaky fast nor sneaky big. He's small/slow. And he fumbled. El puncho, el busto, el awful.
I never quite understood how CEH went higher in fantasy drafts his rookie year than both Zeke and Barkley their rookie years. He wasn’t a high first rounder, not a bell cow and not nearly as physically gifted. Late second seemed more appropriate this year but still too early.

I never quite understood how CEH went higher in fantasy drafts his rookie year than both Zeke and Barkley their rookie years. He wasn’t a high first rounder, not a bell cow and not nearly as physically gifted. Late second seemed more appropriate this year but still too early.
Simply because of the offense. People just assumed he would eat because he’s in the best offense in the league and tied to the best young QB in the league. And really, that’s a fair assumption to make. But he is just so pedestrian he can’t even boom on this offense. 

IMO....I think the real issue is that pretty much any RB on this team is just going to be window dressing.....KC running plays are almost just give up plays at this point....its like they feel like they have to mix a few in.....but running plays are just place holders until they get to what they want, which is the ball in Mahomes hand....I really am not sure why they even pretend to try and run....its a wasted down....Reid has always loved to throw the ball...and he knows Mahomes is not Alex smith....so the running game is not a priority....maybe when you need to milk the clock or something...but really I'd fake a run every once in awhile just for the heck of it....but I'd really rather take my chances with Mahomes making a play on 1st, 2nd, third and fourth down if necessary....even if the defense knows its coming....

Chiefs coach Andy Reid said Clyde Edwards-Helaire (non-COVID illness) will practice in some capacity on Wednesday.

Edwards-Helaire should have no problem suiting up for Week 3 if he's able to log any amount of practice this early in the week. His Week 2 outing was lackluster at best as he saw just 13 carries and lost a fumble with under two minutes left, sealing the loss for Kansas City. He also gave up a touchdown to Darrel Williams. Edwards-Helaire is still seeing the bulk of the backfield touches for the league's best offense but he'll need to play better to pay off the RB2 draft capital that was spent on him by fantasy managers. 

SOURCE: Nate Taylor on Twitter

Sep 22, 2021, 2:44 PM ET

Simply because of the offense. People just assumed he would eat because he’s in the best offense in the league and tied to the best young QB in the league. And really, that’s a fair assumption to make. But he is just so pedestrian he can’t even boom on this offense. 

Agreed with this. Andy Reid's teams used to produce top-10 fantasy RBs annually. Actually, CEH was having a very good rookie season yardage-wise, but had issues in pass protection. I believe his snaps dropped off after the signing of Lev Bell last season.

Maybe just off to a slow start in 2021, but he just has not looked good so far.

This isn't correct. He's had Westbrook and McCoy, two top flight fantasy guys.

CEH is nothing like those two.
I unfairly characterized Reid that way just yesterday in another thread but decided to take a closer look afterwards.

Reid actually got good to amazing, but short lived production from quite a few backs.

Duce Staley two years then injury took him out.

He got two good years out of McCoy before he was fired in Philly.

Two from Jamaal before his ACL.

One from Spencer Ware.

Westbrook was his only real bellcow as far as high end production over time.

But he has propelled quite a few backs to solid fantasy seasons.

Users who are viewing this thread