What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How To Be A Trump Supporter Here (1 Viewer)

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
And to be clear - "Trump Supporter" is anyone who voted for Trump from the guy who holds his nose and voted for him as the lesser of two bad choices all the way to MAGA Rally guy. That's a wide spectrum.

This came up in another thread and it seemed worthwhile to post in a new thread. 

This forum is much more Anti Trump than the population at large. That's clear and easy to see how our approval ratings for Trump compare to the national ratings. 

It is what it is. 

With that said, just understand if you're supportive of President Trump, you're in the strong minority here. That's ok too. My advice would be act the same way you do in any situation where the majority don't look like / think like you: Be on your A game. Be polite but firm. Make good points you can back up. And back them up. Don't attack points you can't backup. 

Be the kind of person that others will say of, "I don't agree with him. But he seems like a good and decent person and one I might listen to". 

That's actually a pretty good way for all of us to act. 

Edited - more clearly defined Trump Supporter.

Last edited by a moderator:
This came up in another thread and it seemed worthwhile to post in a new thread. 

This forum is much more Anti Trump than the population at large. That's clear and easy to see how our approval ratings for Trump compare to the national ratings. 

It is what it is. 

With that said, just understand if you're supportive of President Trump, you're in the strong minority here. That's ok too. My advice would be act the same way you do in any situation where the majority don't look like / think like you: Be on your A game. Be polite but firm. Make good points you can back up. And back them up. Don't attack points you can't backup. 

Be the kind of person that others will say of, "I don't agree with him. But he seems like a good and decent person and one I might listen to". 

Joe,

As a Supporter of our President this thread comes across poorly and confirms what many of us feel about an inherent bias in the PSF.  

With the bolded statement wouldn’t it be just as pertinent advice for some that hate Trump to actually get off their computers and go out in the real world and interact with real people that don’t share their beliefs on our President?   

Joe,

As a Supporter of our President this thread comes across poorly and confirms what many of us feel about an inherent bias in the PSF.  

With the bolded statement wouldn’t it be just as pertinent advice for some that hate Trump to actually get off their computers and go out in the real world and interact with real people that don’t share their beliefs on our President?   
Why would that be pertinent to being a Trump supporter here?

Joe,

That might be quite difficult based on geography.

It is what it is. 

Joe, I believe you to be a good person. But the bolded struck me as odd. 

If you're a black person in a white neighborhood or white person in a black neighborhood, should you be on your A game? Shouldn't everyone be on their A game whether you're in the minority or majority. 

I'm giving you the benefit of doubt that this isn't what you meant. But, it sounds like an excuse for majority behavior. 

If you're a black person in a white neighborhood or white person in a black neighborhood, should you be on your A game? Shouldn't everyone be on their A game whether you're in the minority or majority. 

I'm giving you the benefit of doubt that this isn't what you meant. But, it sounds like an excuse for majority behavior. 
Being a Trump supporter isn’t like being black. 

It is what it is. 

Complete swing and miss on this. It was really not necessary to tell one side of an issue how to act. One of the strangest things I have ever seen here. 

There are Trump supporters that don't approve of the nasty tweeting and name calling but support his policies.  I think they could follow Joe's advice and be fine.
I was more referring to this part:

Make good points you can back up. And back them up. Don't attack points you can't backup. 
That’s just not how Trump supporters discuss things.  People who value such things generally don’t become Trump supporters.

I don’t want to, nor will I, speak for Joe.  He’s more then capable to do that in his own.  But imo nuance is important here.  I personally can’t imagine anyone who’s been here for any length of time and “knows” Joe like we do reads this and truly takes it in the extreme nature it could be taken. Hence your giving him the “benefit of the doubt”.  

What popped into my head as I read it was T.O and the Dallas game when after scoring a TD he came to the star in the middle of the field and celebrated.  TO was clearly in the minority playing as a visiting player on that field.  Do what he did on his home field he gets cheers and applause, do it on the opponent’s field and you get booed, vilified and ultimately tackled within that environment.  

The Trump supporters are the only thing keeping this place interesting. If the path to saving this place is to drive them away so this place becomes a back patting fest, it might just be the impetus to a slow death rather than a fast one. Seems like a poorly disguised attempt to appease the masses here. And the first reply couldn't have been more predictable from a more predictable person. The OP is pretty gross, sorry Joe.

Just re-read the topic title, yep leaves a really bad taste. And really surprising to see.

Wasn't this covered in the recent ground rules for EVERYONE, @Joe Bryant?

What is a Trump supporter anyhow? This has never been well-defined. Is it: 

1. Somebody who voted for Trump and will vote for him again because there is an R next to his name? 

2. Somebody who disapproves of many of his statements and actions, but prefers him to Democrats, maybe likes the economic stuff or all of the judges? 

3. Somebody who finds Trump to be great, approves of most of what he does and says? 

4. Somebody who doesn’t really care about Trump one way or the other, but enjoys trolling liberals and seeing how pissed off they can get? 

5. A combination of more than one of these? 

What is a Trump supporter anyhow? This has never been well-defined. Is it: 

1. Somebody who voted for Trump and will vote for him again because there is an R next to his name? 

2. Somebody who disapproves of many of his statements and actions, but prefers him to Democrats, maybe likes the economic stuff or all of the judges? 

3. Somebody who finds Trump to be great, approves of most of what he does and says? 

4. Somebody who doesn’t really care about Trump one way or the other, but enjoys trolling liberals and seeing how pissed off they can get? 

5. A combination of more than one of these? 
None of the above.

I would define a Trump supporter in this forum as one who consistently defends him and/or his policies, or attacks against him and/or his policies.. Interestingly a few of his staunchest defenders claim not to have voted for him.

The Trump supporters are the only thing keeping this place interesting. If the path to saving this place is to drive them away so this place becomes a back patting fest, it might just be the impetus to a slow death rather than a fast one.
There was a time when there were no Trump supporters here because Trump had yet to become a political figure.

Nonetheless, this place wasn’t a back-patting fest, and the discussions were interesting.

I think we all should appreciate Joe's post in the spirit of harmony that it came from and not try to nitpick it.

I was more referring to this part:

That’s just not how Trump supporters discuss things.  People who value such things generally don’t become Trump supporters.
@Juxtatarot The problem is replies like fat guy that incorrectly make broad generalizations about Trump supporters. 

I’ll follow SID advice and stay out of this one but wow. 
TIA to DKP.

I was saying that Trump critics should just let Trump supporters speak here.

I also think HT has it wrong in the 2020 thread, I think Joe is inviting Trump supporters to speak more and in a more effective way. I just don't think Trump critics (hullo like me) should really be presuming to speak for Trump supporters or suppose what they think about anything. Honestly if I could hide every non-Trumper reply in this thread I would.

TIA to DKP.

I was saying that Trump critics should just let Trump supporters speak here.

I also think HT has it wrong in the 2020 thread, I think Joe is inviting Trump supporters to speak more and in a more effective way. I just don't think Trump critics (hullo like me) should really be presuming to speak for Trump supporters or suppose what they think about anything. Honestly if I could hide every non-Trumper reply in this thread I would.
Fair enough. I'll hide mine, though I stand by it.

Being a Trump supporter isn’t like being black. 
I didn't say that it was. I simply pointed out that being a minority doesn't mean that you have to be the only one on their A game. At best it tells the majority to bring their B game. Which I know isn't the case with what Joe is trying to convey. 

But, I'm a genius. Others may not be able to decipher it as well.  

Answer:

Anyone who doesn't criticize everything he does.
One of the striking things about the more vocal Trump supporters on this site is that they don’t seem to criticize nearly anything he does. I get liking his policies and politics. But they seem to defend other things Trump does that seem indefensible. Just my observation. 

Like @fatguyinalittlecoat, my post was not meant to be insulting. If you disagree with what I wrote, you're welcome to offer a rebuttal, which is what Joe has been requesting.
Just now in the "Will the Dems Regret the Impeachment" thread, Noons said there was no evidence that Trump committed a crime while in office.  A poster replied substantively highlighting his involvement (as Individual 1) in the Stormy hush money scheme as an example and Noons replied "No".

I only highlight it as an example of what I think Joe is referring to.  And what I think happens a lot from the Trump supporter side in this forum.

Like @fatguyinalittlecoat, my post was not meant to be insulting. If you disagree with what I wrote, you're welcome to offer a rebuttal, which is what Joe has been requesting.
That is the problem, you guys are so used to insulting Trump supporters that you do it now without even trying.  Açcording to you as long as you state reasons why you are insulting us it is ok.   :rolleyes:   

Just now in the "Will the Dems Regret the Impeachment" thread, Noons said there was no evidence that Trump committed a crime while in office.  A poster replied substantively highlighting his involvement (as Individual 1) in the Stormy hush money scheme as an example and Noons replied "No".

I only highlight it as an example of what I think Joe is referring to.  And what I think happens a lot from the Trump supporter side in this forum.
This post is false on a number of factors.

It wasn't.

Yes your post was a broad generalization, especially if you intended it to be about ALL Trump supporters. But if your remarks were meant for Trump supporters here, then IMO it was fairly accurate. I know it bothers people like @knowledge dropper and @GoBirds to accept it, but I think it's true: Joe's advice:

Make good points you can back up. And back them up. Don't attack points you can't backup. 

IS inconsistent with those who represent themselves here as Trump supporters. They do not behave this way, and frankly they haven't in 3 years. That is not to say that every anti-Trump person behaves this way either, but at least many do, IMO. On the pro-Trump side, it's extremely rare. If they begin to take Joe's advice, this forum will be a far better place.
Shouldn't the bolded apply to all posters? 

Inflammatory post trying to get a reaction. 

Fact.  Almost 63 million Americans voted for Trump in 2016. Why do you continue to attempt to marginalize such a large block of Americans?
As I wrote, if fatguy was making his remarks about all Trump supporters everywhere, it would be grossly inaccurate. But I think he was specifically referring to Trump supporters in the The Politics Subforum, and if so I agree with what he wrote.

Tim please don’t quote me in your posts in here, sounds like you want a safe space and are taking cheap shots at the minority in a thread where the minority is told how they need to act. I don’t want to participate in a thread like this, please avoid the cheap shots and I will show you the same respect. TIA. 
I don't desire a safe space (if I did, I'd never ever post in the forum), and I didn't take any cheap shots. I disagreed with what you wrote and so I responded to you.

This whole "tell the minority how to act" complaint is ridiculous. If somebody acts poorly, it doesn't matter whether they are in the majority or minority.

This post is false on a number of factors.
you just did it again.

How is it wrong?

Edit:  re-read his "Nope" reply.  He may have been saying "nope" to whether he would vote for impeachment IF it was shown individual 1 committed a crime.  Either way, the response remains exactly what Joe is alluding to in this thread IMO.

Treat those people as insignificant and completely wrong.   Part of the condescension in here.  

You quoted me:

I would like the population at large to change so it is more like this forum, rather than the other way around.

That's not condescension. I think most people who don't like Trump would like it if most Americans, and especially most conservatives, did not either. That doesn't mean I want you to go away. It means I want you to change your mind. 

Users who are viewing this thread