What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Laviska Shenault Jr. - SEA (2 Viewers)

In a poll of 17 NFL executives by The Athletic's Bob McGinn, Colorado WR Laviska Shenault was voted the likeliest wideout to be a draft bust.

Shenault received eight of the 17 votes, Baylor's Steven Mims got four, and Clemson's Tee Higgins received two to round out the top three in that poll.  Shenault underwent core-muscle surgery in late February after the Combine, and with the COVID-19 pandemic, teams haven't really been able to get their medical eyes on him.  “Mental and injury,” one scout replied when asked why Shenault was his choice to bust. “He’s always been the best guy on his team. You put him in one position and he’s just going to flounder. He’s head and shoulders in the bust factor above everyone else. I wouldn’t be surprised if he has a big fall.”  Another scout compared Shenault to Cordarrelle Patterson in terms of his future NFL role.  "Little bit immature but, my God, is he big and powerful,” another scout said.  "He’s a power guy, and those guys play.”

SOURCE: The Athletic

Apr 15, 2020, 11:34 AM ET

Speaking with The Athletic's Bob McGinn, one scout said Colorado WR Laviska Shenault has "kind of got some Cordarrelle Patterson to him in terms of his role."

The caveat to this scout's Patterson comparison? "Not as explosive," said this particular scout. He also mentioned that he does not see the same type of player former Ole Miss WR A.J. Brown is in Shenault, in large part because Brown was much better at contested catches. Shenault (6'1/227) is a tough, versatile player, but the general belief is he will need to iron out his route running in order to become a legit receivers as opposed to just a gadget player. Shenault ranked 10th among WRs in McGinn's poll among NFL executives and scouts. 

SOURCE: The Athletic

Apr 16, 2020, 2:28 PM ET

Last edited by a moderator:
NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Colorado WR Laviska Shenault had successful core muscle surgery.

Rapoport added that teams have no concerns for recovery. It's great news for Shenault after he was pegged as the draft's most-likely bust by NFL executives earlier this week. Rotoworld's Hayden Winks described Shenault as, "A powerful receiver with strong short-area explosion who battled injuries and questionable usage in college, making him a risky prospect with high-end upside."

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Apr 16, 2020, 10:02 AM ET

LAVISKA SHENAULTWR, COLORADO BUFFALOES

NFL teams were sent a memo from Dr. William Meyers that Colorado WR Laviska Shenault (core) is expected to be 100 percent after the draft. 

"I watched Laviska go through regular football drills yesterday (note: the letter was sent on April 14), yesterday at 5 1/2 weeks postop and he looked terrific," Meyers says in the memo. "I believe by April 25, 2020, he will be 100% for full football activities." That's obviously good news for Shenault's draft stock; as the talented wideout underwent core surgery in March. He's battled other injuries in his time with the Buffaloes, but the talented wideout is still likely off the board in the first 50 selections. 

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Apr 18, 2020, 12:25 PM ET

Colorado WR Laviska Shenault (core) is already doing some on-field work ahead of this week's NFL Draft. 

Shenault (6'1/227) is only six weeks removed from undergoing surgery, and the video of him running routes lines up with the doctor's prediction that he would be back to full strength after the draft. The former Colorado standout is expected to be off the board within the top 50 picks, but the medical concerns are still there given how banged up he was in college. Maybe this development helps him in the eyes of some teams, but the wide receiver position in this year's draft is incredibly deep. 

SOURCE: Mike Garafolo on Twitter

Apr 21, 2020, 7:24 PM ET

Jaguars selected Colorado WR Laviska Shenault with the No. 42 overall pick in the 2020 NFL Draft.

Shenault (6’1/227) is a powerful receiver with strong short-area explosion who battled injuries and questionable usage in college, making him a risky prospect with high-end upside. In 2018, he had the second most receptions per game (9.6) among FBS sophomores since at least 2000, but he was slowed down by injuries last season. Those setbacks, unfortunately, were brought on by his physical playing style and usage. Per PFF, only 25% of his targets traveled beyond 10 yards of the line of scrimmage with Colorado deploying him as a gadget player who even lined up as a Wildcat runner in goal line situations. At the next level, he will likely do most of his damage underneath, but he has flashed the ability to win deep, too. It will take some development to make Shenault an all-around receiver, but his athleticism is intriguing if his health cooperates. The landing spot isn't ideal given the team's offensive woes, but there is opportunity across from D.J. Chark if Shenault can compete with Chris Conley in camp. Fortunately, the versatile rookie is assured reps as a FLEX option since he can be used on offense in multiple ways.

Apr 24, 2020, 7:51 PM ET

Good fit for him opposite Chark. Everyone souring on him might make him a value rookie pick after the top 10 go. 

How coronavirus precautions hurt these eight NFL draft prospects

Excerpt:

Laviska Shenault Jr., WR, Jacksonville Jaguars

Where we thought he might go: Middle to late first round

Where he ended up: Second round, No. 42 overall

The background: Shenault suffered a core muscle injury last season at Colorado but elected to train for the combine. After running a disappointing 4.58 seconds during his first 40-yard dash in Indianapolis, he didn't run the second 40 and didn't do the jumps or position drills. He then underwent surgery in the days following the combine.

Gave up a 2021 2nd to get him at 3.1 in a PPR IDP draft.

Easy decision to make. Has lots of opportunity in Jacksonville. 

2020 NFL Draft: Five biggest instant impact rookies based on talent, fit and situation

Excerpt:

Laviska Shenault, WR, Jaguars

Even entering a somewhat crowded receiver room with D.J. Chark, Dede Westbrook, and Chris Conley, Shenault is primed for a big rookie season in Jacksonville, because the strength of his game perfectly blends with Gardner Minshew's main tendency.

For as much as Minshew liked to work the back-shoulder game with Chark and Conley last season, most of his attempts were in the quick game underneath. The 2019 rookie averaged 7.5 Intended Air Yards per NFL Next Gen Stats, which tied for the 10th-lowest figure among 38 qualifying quarterbacks. For more context, per Pro Football Focus, 68% of Minshew's passes were either behind the line of scrimmage or up to nine yards beyond it. Presuming he's the starter at the outset of the 2020 season for the Jaguars, the team's offense will need a wideout who can create after the catch. 

That's where Shenault thrives. According to PFF's Draft Guide, Shenault forced 44 missed tackles over the past two years, the highest total of any receiver in the 2020 class, and he accomplished that in just 20 total games. 

At 6-1 and 227 pounds, he has a compact frame similar to Saquon Barkleyand Nick Chubb, and his low center of gravity boosts his ability to absorb contact and continue forward. 

And for as pleasantly surprising as Chark and Conley were in 2019, they owned the two highest average depth of targets on the team (11.7 and 14.5 yards respectively) on throws from Minshew among the pass catchers with at least 30 targets. They're primarily outside vertical route tree receivers in Jacksonville, which will give way to Shenault working short routes as a slot complement with Dede Westbrook. 

Jaguars signed second-round WR Laviska Shenault to a four-year contract.

Head coach Doug Marrone claims Shenault will play numerous positions: wide receiver, tight end, wildcat quarterback and see manufactured touches out of the backfield. It is the type of statement that looks good on paper, but often fails to fulfill its promise. Shenault is at his best with the ball in his hands and was frequently able to show off that skillset at Colorado, as 75% of his catches were made less than 10 yards downfield last season. D.J. Chark remains a great bet to lead the team in targets, but Shenault could offer a secondary spark on a handful of touches per game.

SOURCE: Field Yates on Twitter

Jul 9, 2020, 4:44 PM ET

I am super intrigued with the physical attributes he brings to the field. Obviously he needs to stay healthy and improve his route running. But from a physical standpoint he brings as much to the table as anyone in this class. Strong, powerful, good field vision, strong hands, and has speed. I think his forty was impacted by injury as he appeared much faster on the field. Love getting this kind of upside in the second round of Dyno drafts and think he could make some noise this season and potentially prove to be the steal of rookie drafts looking back.

Final Analysis: Rookie to watch (Jaguars)

Excerpts:

Rick Ballou, Jaguars sideline reporter

My Jaguars Rookie of the Year Prediction: Wide Receiver Laviska Shenault Jr. He is the rookie I am most excited about. He looks like a running back once he has the ball. He should be a threat down the field, on crossing patterns and taking the ball from quarterback Gardner Minshew on a reverse. Just put the tape on and watch how fast he was at the University of Colorado; the Jags just have to find a way to get him the ball.

Brent Martineau, Action Sports Jax Sports Director

My Jaguars Rookie of the Year Prediction: Shenault. This might be one of the most exciting draft picks the Jaguars have ever had. Shenault has a chance to give this team an identity and make the offense look as different as it has ever been. I'm all in on Shenault and can't wait to see how the Jaguars use him.

John Oehser, jaguars.com senior writer

My Jaguars Rookie of the Year Prediction: Shenault. While Henderson as the No. 9 overall selection should be the best rookie – and while he has the skill to be just that – the Jaguars need Shenault to be rookie of the year. Or at least really compete for it. His physicality and athleticism should give the Jaguars an element in the passing game they have lacked in recent seasons. Perhaps as importantly: if Shenault emerges quickly as a weapon it will benefit third-year wide receiver DJ Chark Jr. – and Minshew and the entire offense will benefit as well.

Brian Sexton, jaguars.com senior correspondent

My Jaguars Rookie of the Year Prediction: Shenault. I watched a lot of late-night West Coast college football in 2018 and thought he was the next Larry Fitzgerald the way Colorado fed him the ball. He's big, strong, fearless and plays much faster than he timed in the 40-yard dash. I can see new Jaguars offensive coordinator Jay Gruden, whose calling card is his ability to use multiple players in different groups playing different positions from play to play, finding matchups that will let the rookie receiver run in the middle of the field.

Ashlyn Sullivan, Digital reporter and host

My Jaguars Rookie of the Year Prediction: Shenault. Moments after being drafted in the second round, he told us he was a combination of Fitzgerald, Jarvis Landry and Julio Jones. Ever since that statement, I have been excited to finally see Shenault on the field. The Jaguars have been looking for an overall weapon on offense and they seem to have found it. Head Coach Doug Marrone says he plans to use Shenault in a variety of roles in the backfield. I would be surprised if we're not praising Shenault by the end of the season.

Fun Friday: Jaguars Training Camp Observations

Excerpt:

Laviska Shenault Jr. will be utilized, heavily:

If one thing was made clear today it might have stemmed from the team’s use of Shenault, the Jaguars’ rookie second-round selection. Over the past couple of days, it’s been obvious just how big of a receiver Shenault is. Listed at 6-foot-1, 227 pounds, the rookie wideout can be used in a variety of ways, and the Jaguars aren’t afraid to simply get the ball in his hands.

A man of few words, Shenault met with the media shortly after practice today, offering some insight into how he feels his first NFL experience is going. 

“I mean, we all know at this level, you’ve got to work for that spot. And we all know it don’t come easy. And of course, I want the No. 1 spot, I highly doubt anyone wouldn’t want the No. 1 spot,” Shenault said earlier today via video conference. 

“But of course, still though, learning from others, you never want to stop doing that. So, I’m definitely ears open and I’m listening to my receivers because they’ve played 17 years and the vets in the room that have years under their belt. So I’m always listening and they’re always helping out.”

Shenault has a golden opportunity in front of him. Not only to learn from a Pro Bowlreceiver in DJ Chark Jr., but also from one of the greatest receivers in NFL history in Keenan McCardell, his wide receivers coach. Thus far, Shenault has been a sponge, he says, explaining some of the tips he’s received and taken in from McCardell. 

“Just being a [smarter] route runner and, you know, just paying more attention to detail and just doing those little things right because it’ll help you in the long run.”

On working with Gardner Minshew II, Shenault confessed it’ll take some time to get used to and gel with a quarterback, but they’re slowly building it. A connection that the team likely hopes will last for a very long time. 

“It’s been fun, he brings the energy and he’s always looking to help out. He just makes sure everything is going the right way and just making sure that I’m doing thing. Because he sees the future that I have and we’re trying to get it rocking.”

While accolades and awards are a given for Shenault, he says of his expectation for this season, his most important goal of 2020 is simple: “just gaining respect from Duval County and my teammates.”

Jaguars rookie WR Laviska Shenault has impressed coaches and teammates with his route running, toughness, and sure hands. 

Shenault has so far stood out in 11-on-11 drills, according to Jaguars beat writer John Reid, showing he can "fight through press coverage and run precise routes." Gardner Minshew labeled Shenault a "freak." GM Dave Caldwell said if Shenault had turned pro after this 2018 sophomore season at Colorado, he "may have been, if not the top receiver then one of the top two receivers." He was drafted by Jacksonville in this year's draft with the No. 42 pick after struggling with various injuries during his final year at Colorado. Shenault, who could quickly become the No. 2 option behind DJ Chark in Jacksonville, is not being drafted in 12-team leagues. 

SOURCE: Jacksonville.com 

Aug 15, 2020, 2:00 PM ET

Checking in here to feel better having Mims sniped right in front of me picking at 2.07 and getting Shenault.  

Like drafting rookies for upside and after listening the Waldman talk about him and my mood is becoming a bit less dour. 

Checking in here to feel better having Mims sniped right in front of me picking at 2.07 and getting Shenault.  

Like drafting rookies for upside and after listening the Waldman talk about him and my mood is becoming a bit less dour. 
IMO if you're an upside fan shenault is your guy over Mims 100%.  Shenault has Deebo upside whereas Mims caps out as a discount DeSean Jackson.

I only have one share, got at 2.06, so anything he does positive is gravy IMO.  I'm more skeptical than not with Shenaut. 

I'm admittedly looking for the positive here, as I just missed Mims in my draft so took him at 2.07, but Shenault was talked about as one of the top couple of WRs after his sophomore year.  He was fighting injuries (and a terrible offense) in junior and now seems all but forgot in the dynasty community.

I get injury concerns (although his injuries don't seem to be repeated identical injuries which would be more concerning to me) but he seems to be the same player he was a year ago which is a player that is a better WR than billed and more than a gadded player IF (big if) the Jaguars allow him to be so. :unsure:

I'm admittedly looking for the positive here, as I just missed Mims in my draft so took him at 2.07, but Shenault was talked about as one of the top couple of WRs after his sophomore year.  He was fighting injuries (and a terrible offense) in junior and now seems all but forgot in the dynasty community.

I get injury concerns (although his injuries don't seem to be repeated identical injuries which would be more concerning to me) but he seems to be the same player he was a year ago which is a player that is a better WR than billed and more than a gadded player IF (big if) the Jaguars allow him to be so. :unsure:
Injuries are something we can't predict, so it's foolhardy to do so IMO.  However, and I'm not saying Shenault falls into this category, but some players sit at the slightest pain.

Injuries are something we can't predict, so it's foolhardy to do so IMO.  However, and I'm not saying Shenault falls into this category, but some players sit at the slightest pain.
... considering that he ran the 40 at the combine with a sports hernia (and still 4.58 with that injury), I'd say there is some evidence that he doesn't fall into that category.

Users who are viewing this thread