What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Laviska Shenault Jr. - SEA (1 Viewer)

Fantasy Football Week 6 Bold Predictions: All systems go for Clyde Edwards-Helaire

Excerpt:

Shenault ready to take it to Lions

Liz Loza: Laviska Shenault Jr. clears 85 yards and finds the end zone in Week 6. With DJ Chark exiting the game last Sunday, Shenault logged a career-high 52 snaps and eight looks, closing out the week as fantasy’s WR27 (7-79-0). He’ll now take on a Lions defense that’s allowing an average of nearly 250 receiving yards and over 2 scores per contest. If Chark (ankle) were to miss more time, and assuming Shenault can keep his hammy issue at bay, the rookie could produce WR3 fantasy numbers for a third consecutive outing. 

I think the window to get this kid closes after he feasts on the Lion D. He’s really starting to take off and should score once in a while. With his big, physical body, he makes for a good RZ target 
I agree. Window will be slammed shut after he decimates my Lion’s Sunday. Buy now if you are a believer. Only concern I have is his body holding up due to his physical play.

Agreed on the toll his physical style may have on overall health. 
I haven't seen him play much this year, but I distinctly remember him ducking out of bounds when he could have gotten a couple more (contested) yards. It was encouraging. Has he been doing this regularly, being selective about the physicality? 

Hoping to see more of him featured again this week. He's been flying under the radar all year it seems. 

Last 2 weeks 14 and 14, let's see what he does today. 

Laviska Shenault caught 3-of-7 targets for 10 yards in the Jaguars' Week 6 loss to the Lions, "adding" a one-yard rush. 

With the hype growing coming off back-to-back 79-yard receiving efforts, Shenault took a backseat to Keelan Cole and D.J. Chark. Cole went off for 143 yards while Chark drew 14 targets. Shenault has done well to establish his upside, but his floor remains close to zero points. He will be a risk/reward WR4 for Week 7 vs. the Chargers. 

Oct 18, 2020, 7:36 PM ET

Just some thoughts

-Rookie WR, one of the reasons you don't load up on them, very streaky and many dips. You won't know where his breakout game will come from but defenses will take notice of Chark's 14 targets and bracket that way, should  open things up for Laviska. 

Laviska Shenault (hamstring) was limited at Wednesday's practice.

This hamstring injury has been an ongoing issue for Shenault and has placed him on the injury report over the last two weeks. He then plays on Sunday, so unless something changes it will not impact your fantasy lineup.

Oct 21, 2020, 8:29 PM ET

Laviska Shenault caught 3-of-3 targets for 44 yards in the Jaguars' Week 7 loss to the Chargers.

Shenault added another play to his highlight reel by making multiple defenders miss with unique strength, but it's not enough volume to bank on in standard-sized fantasy leagues for now. His three targets were tied for third on the team behind D.J. Chark (7) and James Robinson (6). Shenault is a worthwhile bench hold in the event that he's utilized more or the offense figures things out. For now, he's a WR5.

Oct 25, 2020, 8:23 PM ET

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Laviska Shenault (hamstring) has a "chance" to suit up for Week 10 against the Packers.

Shenault exited on Jacksonville's second drive against the Texans and was ultimately unable to return. D.J. Chark was the direct beneficiary, finishing with a team-high 31.5% target share from rookie Jake Luton. Shenault's availability will be crucial against Green Bay since Chark would likely be locked down by Jaire Alexander (concussion) if the latter is cleared from the league's protocol by kick-off.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Nov 9, 2020, 2:36 PM ET

Laviska Shenault (hamstring) practiced Wednesday.

Shenault left early in Sunday's loss and never returned. Practicing this early in a week is a good sign for his Week 10 status. D.J. Chark's target share would take a hit if Shenault plays against the Packers.

Nov 11, 2020, 4:22 PM ET

Laviska Shenault (hamstring) won't play in Week 11 against the Steelers.

Shenault hasn't practiced since initially injuring his hamstring in Week 9. Keelan Cole saw seven targets on 81% of Jacksonville's snaps without Shenault against the Packers, but the Steelers' nightmarish secondary presents a different challenge altogether. Jaguars skill players outside James Robinson and, to a lesser extent, D.J. Chark should be avoid entirely in Week 11.

SOURCE: Jacksonville Jaguars on Twitter

Nov 20, 2020, 2:38 PM ET

Laviska Shenault caught 3-of-4 targets for 31 yards in the Jaguars' Week 12 loss to the Browns. 

Shenault also logged a carry for six yards. The Jaguars were without Chris Conley and D.J. Chark in this game and Shenault still couldn't get much going. Collin Johnson saw four more targets than him and Keelan Cole saw two more targets. Fantasy managers can part ways with Shenault in all but the deepest leagues.

- Rotoworld

Last edited by a moderator:
Laviska Shenault (thumb) was limited in Wednesday's practice.

Shenault banged his thumb in the Week 13 loss to the Vikings but was able to play through it. He scored his first touchdown since Week 1 last week and has been off the fantasy radar for weeks.

Dec 9, 2020, 4:32 PM ET

Week 17 Dynasty Risers and Fallers: A.J. Dillon flashes incredible upside

Excerpt:

RISERS: WRS D.J. CHARK AND LAVISKA SHENAULT JR., JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS

For Jaguars fans, the implications of the 2020 season should be finally sinking in. Jacksonville lost to the Chicago Bears last week. Coupled with a Jets win over the Browns, they have officially won the Trevor Lawrence lottery. Because of that, the main receivers involved (Chark and Shenault) should start being viewed as the weapons for a quarterback at the skill level of Joe Burrow at a minimum. 

Lawrence went from topc25 in yards per attempt (min. 150 dropbacks) as a freshman to top 15 as a sophomore to top 10 this season. He has two seasons with a passing grade above 90.0. Lawrence is going to present a seismic turnaround for the Jaguars' offense. The main beneficiaries of that will be Chark and Shenault. 

Keelan Cole’s counting stats this year show a player who could compete with his teammates for targets. All three players are grouped between 52 and 53 receptions. However, Cole’s stats are simply the product of him being the only healthy receiver for Jacksonville at times.

Name                                   Total Routes Run      Yards per Route Run      Targets per Route Run

Keelan Cole                                  565                                 1.12                                  0.14

D.J. Chark Jr.                                497                                1.42                                   0.19

Laviska Shenault Jr.                    372                                1.49                                   0.19

On a per-route basis, Shenault and Chark have shown an ability to draw targets and create yards at a level that Cole simply hasn’t. Cole isn’t under contract for 2021, but with second-round capital invested in both of the team's top receivers, it’s likely that the Jaguars bring him back or insert a similarly middling player into his role. 

With the top receivers on a team about to do a 180, there is value to be had in buying low on Jacksonville before it drafts Lawrence and then again before he takes the field for them.

Laviska Shenault caught 6-of-9 targets for 68 yards and two touchdowns in the Jaguars' Week 17 loss to the Colts.

Coming off an injury-plagued 2019 season at Colorado, Shenault flashed plenty of athleticism as a rookie but needs more development to be more than a gadget player. The Jaguars only managed to get him 18 carries and 79 targets, most of which came near the line of scrimmage. Shenault will benefit from much better quarterback play next season with Trevor Lawrence likely coming to town and could be a double-digit round sleeper in redraft leagues. A fully healthy and normal offseason should go a long way for Shenault’s prospects. Both Chris Conley and Keelan Cole are free agents.

- Rotoworld

So, worth a very late 2021 1st? 
You're not getting him from me for a late 1. I bought him with a 2 with intentions on unleashing him in '22. I'll never say no to an offer before getting one, but it's gonna be a lot more than that.

So, worth a very late 2021 1st? 
Everyone has stars in their eyes right now looking towards next years draft. I almost drafted this guy 14th overall this year but I had to go with the higher rated Reagor. Luckily I still landed him 20th overall. Anyways, I'm not selling for a late 1st. I'd buy for that price though. 

A late 21 1st for Shenault seems pretty fair. If you're not selling him there, you're basically valuing him as a top 30 WR already. I can understand the hesitation to sell him at this point, though.

IHEARTFF said:
A late 21 1st for Shenault seems pretty fair. If you're not selling him there, you're basically valuing him as a top 30 WR already. I can understand the hesitation to sell him at this point, though.
Big question on how he might fare in an Urban Meyer spread O that values speed.  Shenault makes his money as a big body around the LOS or across the middle

FYI for people interested the full post from Shipley has even more praise than just the tweet.  Worth the read. I am bummed I didn't get more Shenault shares. 
Shipley's a great beat writer by the way and he actually changed my mind on Laviska. I viewed him as more of a gadget and with adding ETN it just made me leery of him but he's very vocal about disabusing this idea. Here are a few tweets on the subject:

@_John_Shipley

Laviska Shenault is a wide receiver. He won't be a gadget so I don't see how Etienne's role applies to him. Understand this, fantasy/NFL Twitter.

I'll say it until I'm blue in the face: Travis Etienne has nothing to do with Laviska Shenault. Laviska Shenault has nothing to do with Travis Etienne.

I’d draft Chark and Robinson at their current ADP

less confident about where Etienne, MJJ & Shenault will end up

I00% agree on Chark. 

If Shenault does have a big leap this year, then I kinda think Jones might be worthless. Not sure he's really all that good anyway, he seemed to have a great rapport with Stafford, but he feels like the easy #3 WR in an offense that isn't a lock to even support 2.

Chark is a FA at season's end. Urban has publicly said some not so flattering things about him. On the first day of free agency the Jags signed Marvin to a 2 year contract that commits a meaningful amount of $ year 2 - $5.2m. The #1 TE on the depth chart is Chris Manhertz.

At current rates if I do not get Viska then I have zero interest in Chark, but some interest in Marvin. I have a lot of concerns about this offense (and team as a whole), but volume trumps all and I think Marvin's above Chark in the pecking order heading into summer vacation.

I'd take Shenault over Chark straight up and with his lower ADP obviously a much bigger value play.

Regardless of the current hype I thought Laviska  outplayed him last year and considering he was a rookie in a COVID year and Chark was a third year vet it matters even more. And in dynasty you add to fact that I don't have high degree of confidence that Chark will be on the team past this year, for better or worse.

As for Robinson vs ETN I don't know. I like Robinson a lot and he's a real talent but he's not going to break off chunk runs or likely catch a lot of balls and that makes him hard to trust. ETN obviously cost a lot more but if this is a true RBBC, and I do think it is, he can excel with more limited touches due to bigger play potential and more receptions. So ETN is more expensive, but I think worth it. Is it possible that this works out like a Fred Jackson(Robinson)/Spiller(ETN) situation were Spiller can't ever quite live up to the hype and Fred just keeps him out peforming him every year? Yes, that's not to difficult to see but based on what I know right now I'd rather have ETN even at his higher cost.

I'd take Shenault over Chark straight up and with his lower ADP obviously a much bigger value play.

Regardless of the current hype I thought Laviska  outplayed him last year and considering he was a rookie in a COVID year and Chark was a third year vet it matters even more. And in dynasty you add to fact that I don't have high degree of confidence that Chark will be on the team past this year, for better or worse.
This is a situation which has yet to define itself. 2nd/4th/5th pass catchers from 2020 departed, added 31 y.o. MJJ, upgrade in QB play over the below-replacement-level-triumvirate of last year, none of the big WRs have seen heavy usage in the slot, and a jitterbug RB whom the loon running the show thinks is the second coming of Percy Harvin.

Among the range of outcomes the most likely is probably Chark locking down the right boundary and Jones manning the left side when they’re in 12 personnel. IIRC both had 25 or less snaps in the slot in ‘20 and they’ve both always been outside guys. Laviska could see a fair number of outside snaps (X being more likely than Z based on his rookie snaps), but more than likely he’s going to see a significant uptick in Slot routes from 11 formations. Somebody might be losing snaps to ETN in his hybrid role, but Meyer is a WC here - no one really knows what he might do.

The “he played small last year” comments seem pretty innocuous to me when you look at later clarifying comments from the HC and Chark taking it to heart by adding 7 pounds of muscle. But I do think the superlatives the rookie has been heaping on Shenault are worth noting - we’ll see if coach is actually being candid or just pumping up the confidence of his oft-injured (three surgeries in college) 2nd year guy.

As I have to often note this time of year, I’m a redraft player so “already been to PB/already had 1K season” is more important to me than “good finish last year maybe he’ll progress this year.” Listen, they’re both talented guys, but the Vet has been working with the new OC the last couple years at their previous stop, so we really don’t know how these three will shake out. Consensus ECR and ADP reflect a good 3.5-4 round difference from Chark to Jones with LS closer to DJ than Marvin. 

They’re all gonna have value IMO. One as a WR2, the other two as Flex plays or NYE [bye] week fillers. And both RBs are in the RB2/Flex conversation as well.

Meyer is hard to predict at this point.

Sports Illustrated's John Shipley reports Jaguars offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell wants to develop Laviska Shenault "as a pure wide receiver this offseason."

Shipley said he thinks "we'll see some" of Shenault used as a versatile rushing threat in 2021, "but not as much as 2020." Shenault last season took 18 carries for 91 yards, often with direct snaps. The second-year receiver and fantasy favorite has reportedly dominated Jacksonville's offseason practices. It was always unlikely Shenault would be used as a rusher after the team used a first round draft pick on Clemson RB Travis Etienne, who is expected to fill head coach Urban Meyer's "slash" role in the Jags offense. Shenault will compete with downfield threat DJ Chark and veteran Marvin Jones for targets this season.

SOURCE: John Shipley on Twitter 

Jun 15, 2021, 12:14 PM ET

Shipley's a great beat writer by the way and he actually changed my mind on Laviska. I viewed him as more of a gadget and with adding ETN it just made me leery of him but he's very vocal about disabusing this idea. Here are a few tweets on the subject:

@_John_Shipley

Laviska Shenault is a wide receiver. He won't be a gadget so I don't see how Etienne's role applies to him. Understand this, fantasy/NFL Twitter.

I'll say it until I'm blue in the face: Travis Etienne has nothing to do with Laviska Shenault. Laviska Shenault has nothing to do with Travis Etienne.
While I appreciate what Shipley is saying here I have also watched Laviska Shenault and I remain unconvinced that there is no overlap in how they might be used in a NFL offense.

Here are some cut ups of LS from last season. He does make several plays downfield and one over the middle which was a poor decision by the QB throwing into double coverage but LS comes up with the ball so no harm no foul. Some of the plays are gadgety such as the wheel route out of the backfield (first play of the clips) jet sweeps and so on. Its not as many constraint plays as he was doing in college though, so perhaps Shipley has a point here.

This is a situation which has yet to define itself. 2nd/4th/5th pass catchers from 2020 departed, added 31 y.o. MJJ, upgrade in QB play over the below-replacement-level-triumvirate of last year, none of the big WRs have seen heavy usage in the slot, and a jitterbug RB whom the loon running the show thinks is the second coming of Percy Harvin.

Among the range of outcomes the most likely is probably Chark locking down the right boundary and Jones manning the left side when they’re in 12 personnel. IIRC both had 25 or less snaps in the slot in ‘20 and they’ve both always been outside guys. Laviska could see a fair number of outside snaps (X being more likely than Z based on his rookie snaps), but more than likely he’s going to see a significant uptick in Slot routes from 11 formations. Somebody might be losing snaps to ETN in his hybrid role, but Meyer is a WC here - no one really knows what he might do.

The “he played small last year” comments seem pretty innocuous to me when you look at later clarifying comments from the HC and Chark taking it to heart by adding 7 pounds of muscle. But I do think the superlatives the rookie has been heaping on Shenault are worth noting - we’ll see if coach is actually being candid or just pumping up the confidence of his oft-injured (three surgeries in college) 2nd year guy.

As I have to often note this time of year, I’m a redraft player so “already been to PB/already had 1K season” is more important to me than “good finish last year maybe he’ll progress this year.” Listen, they’re both talented guys, but the Vet has been working with the new OC the last couple years at their previous stop, so we really don’t know how these three will shake out. Consensus ECR and ADP reflect a good 3.5-4 round difference from Chark to Jones with LS closer to DJ than Marvin. 

They’re all gonna have value IMO. One as a WR2, the other two as Flex plays or NYE [bye] week fillers. And both RBs are in the RB2/Flex conversation as well.

Meyer is hard to predict at this point.
What makes you think LS will play the X (on the LOS) more than the Z?

His skill set seems better suited for the Z to me than the X.

I don't know what to make of this offense. Its all new to me. I have been mostly ignoring this team for a long time as they didnt have any players who interested me until recently.

Biabreakable said:
What makes you think LS will play the X (on the LOS) more than the Z?

His skill set seems better suited for the Z to me than the X.

I don't know what to make of this offense. Its all new to me. I have been mostly ignoring this team for a long time as they didnt have any players who interested me until recently.
I answered this above (and you bolded it) - based on his rookie snaps. Plus the OC is not an unknown. We may not know exactly what Meyer will do but Darrell Bevel has a substantial body of work in the NFL. Jax will run 11 personnel 70% of the team, even if they want to run more this year.

I’ve read probably 8-10 articles on the Jac trio recently bc it’s got  to be right there with CIN & PIT as one of the more difficult to decipher this early. Rookie QB, wild card HC, not insignificant WR FA signing, rookie RB who will play some snaps outside, new OC, low investment bell cow from last year who will surely see his role diminish. There are a lot of factors in the mix.

We’re just throwing spaghetti against the wall rn. Going to need to see TC competition and some PS usage for more clues. We don’t draft until the last Sunday in August but there’s 5 guys on Jax who I might consider drafting so I’m monitoring.

Users who are viewing this thread