What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Suspended for stating facts? (1 Viewer)

TheIronSheik

SUPER ELITE UPPER TIER
I know the FFA doesn't have a good track record of discussing anything race related.  And usually if you mention race, people think (for some crazy reason) that it should be in the political forum.  But I think we can have a decent conversation here about this.

The 49ers suspended their radio analyst for saying Lamar Jackson is good at deception because the ball, his uniform and his hands are all dark.  Apparently it's no longer acceptable to point out that black people have dark skin.  

Look, I think everyone understands that we shouldn't say racist things.  But saying a black person has dark skin is not racist.  There was no stereotype.  No derogatory comment.  Nothing mean was said.  Things like this are what's going to drive our country apart.  People who are not racist are being labeled as racist.  If you were continually called racist and lost your job because of false accusations, what do you think that's going to lead to?  My guess is a real hatred for the people who accused you of racism.  

Why won't more smart people stand up to things like this and say, "Hey.  STHU.  This guy didn't say anything remotely racist and we should not punish him for what he said."  We are slowly sowing the seeds of more hate in this country by accusing good people of being horrible, nasty racists when it isn't actually true.  

LINK

I got 2 weeks here for telling someone "shouldn't you be at work at (employer)?" after a string of terrible posts. Not a doxxing, info was known. 

Most People are charmin soft these days. :lol:  

Last edited by a moderator:
As a country, we have painted ourselves into such a corner in regards to race that no room has been left for common sense. 
I’m not saying you are wrong, you may be right, but I hear this sentiment from people but never actually encounter any issues in my day to day life.  Seems more likely to me that there’s isolated incidents that get overexposed and blown out of proportion (not saying this thread is an example).

I’m not saying you are wrong, you may be right, but I hear this sentiment from people but never actually encounter any issues in my day to day life.  Seems more likely to me that there’s isolated incidents that get overexposed and blown out of proportion (not saying this thread is an example).
It’s twitter outrage culture. People take something stupid and blow it out of proportion.  In my day to day life, I’ve never encountered anything stupid like this at all. I have a gay family member, an Egyptian wife, and many other variants and nobody ever gets a crap about any of these stupid things (although the phrase BFE does annoy my wife). 

It’s twitter outrage culture. People take something stupid and blow it out of proportion.  In my day to day life, I’ve never encountered anything stupid like this at all. I have a gay family member, and Egyptian wife, and many other variants and nobody ever gets a crap about any of these stupid things (although the phrase BFE does annoy my wife). 
While I agree that it's Twitter outrage, the problem is the media covers it like Twitter is real life.  And therefore, because everyone follow the news, it actually becomes real life.  

5 people on Twitter get upset that a white weatherman in Mississippi says the black ice is dangerous, then the next thing you know the national media is putting it as one of their top news stories.  Guy gets suspended and is branded a racist for the rest of his life.  All because 5 idiots on Twitter wanted their 15 minutes of fame by being the person that found the racism hidden in the rough. (This is a made up story, but it's pretty much how it works nowadays.)

Point is, the media knows that "race" is a hot topic right now.  So they love to have articles like this on their front page.  Look how much we're talking about it.  The media doesn't care that it's ruining people's lives and dividing the country, because look at us talking about it.  

While I agree that it's Twitter outrage, the problem is the media covers it like Twitter is real life.  And therefore, because everyone follow the news, it actually becomes real life.  

5 people on Twitter get upset that a white weatherman in Mississippi says the black ice is dangerous, then the next thing you know the national media is putting it as one of their top news stories.  Guy gets suspended and is branded a racist for the rest of his life.  All because 5 idiots on Twitter wanted their 15 minutes of fame by being the person that found the racism hidden in the rough. (This is a made up story, but it's pretty much how it works nowadays.)

Point is, the media knows that "race" is a hot topic right now.  So they love to have articles like this on their front page.  Look how much we're talking about it.  The media doesn't care that it's ruining people's lives and dividing the country, because look at us talking about it.  
To the media, Twitter is real life. That is the media now. Check college football stuff right now with coaching hires and fires, it’s one big grab bag of people hoping to be first. If they’re first and guessed correctly, they win. If they’re wrong, people forget in a week. 

I do not understand how you can justify saying something like that while there are millions of disabled people around the world who would, literally, love the opportunity to jump at anything.  Sad. 
You’re saying that you notice people’s disabilities?  Kind of snooty.

I do not understand how you can justify saying something like that while there are millions of disabled people around the world who would, literally, love the opportunity to jump at anything.  Sad. 
Typical response by a person of your race.  :no:

The first Martian QB would have an unfair advantage.
Are you assuming that all Martians are the same race? That everyone on an entire planet has the same skin color?

As for the specific incident here, I’m not sure that it was racist, but it certainly was pretty dumb. Maybe it’s actually progress that we’ve gone from people arguing that black folks couldn’t be QBs because they weren’t smart enough to whining that black folks have an unfair advantage because of the color of their skin.

Are you assuming that all Martians are the same race? That everyone on an entire planet has the same skin color?

As for the specific incident here, I’m not sure that it was racist, but it certainly was pretty dumb. Maybe it’s actually progress that we’ve gone from people arguing that black folks couldn’t be QBs because they weren’t smart enough to whining that black folks have an unfair advantage because of the color of their skin.
Why was it dumb?  Is it not true that if everything is dark it's easier to deceive where the ball actually is?  It wasn't like he said that's the reason he's a good quarterback.  He didn't say his race made him what he was.  He simply said that the color of his skin and uniform is helping him do something all quarterbacks do.  I don't know why that is dumb.

in today’s day and age, don’t go anywhere near religion, politics or race.  learn to smile and nod.  move along, shuffle your feet.  no matter how innocent, it’s better to say nothing than anything regarding this trilogy.  but, this is the same almost theory as o linemen taping their hands the color of their opponents jersey i suppose.  

in today’s day and age, don’t go anywhere near religion, politics or race.  learn to smile and nod.  move along, shuffle your feet.  no matter how innocent, it’s better to say nothing than anything regarding this trilogy.  but, this is the same almost theory as o linemen taping their hands the color of their opponents jersey i suppose.  
But this is kind of my point.  By not saying anything, we're enabling the ignorant and letting them dictate the rules.  If the majority of people don't find this offensive, why should we all be silent and kowtow to the morons of our population?

Now I'm wondering if there's a rule that says a pitcher's hand and arm can't be painted white with red stitches etched into it?  Maybe get a tattoo sleeve that looks like baseballs all over your hand and wrist.  Batters would be so confused trying to read the pitch coming out of his hand.

Now I'm wondering if there's a rule that says a pitcher's hand and arm can't be painted white with red stitches etched into it?  Maybe get a tattoo sleeve that looks like baseballs all over your hand and wrist.  Batters would be so confused trying to read the pitch coming out of his hand.
Or maybe Tom Brady could spray paint his hand and arm black.

No shtick, I believe Cleveland is the only team allowed to have brown in their uniform colors. They got grandfathered in. No other team can wear brown because it can camouflage the ball. 

Not that it seems to help Cleveland at all. 
Easy there, buddy.  No reason to get all racist in this thread.

Pretty sure pitchers are not allowed to use white fielding gloves or long sleeves that are white.

Probably not a current rule until someone tries it.  Would become a rule since there are rules about the gloves a pitcher can wear.  :shrug:  

Pretty sure pitchers are not allowed to use white fielding gloves or long sleeves that are white.
Yes.  That's for gloves and clothing.  But I'd imagine if you had a white sleeved tattoo, there would be some kind of issue with telling people they couldn't pitch because of a tattoo.  Seems like a messy area for MLB to get involved in.

Yes.  That's for gloves and clothing.  But I'd imagine if you had a white sleeved tattoo, there would be some kind of issue with telling people they couldn't pitch because of a tattoo.  Seems like a messy area for MLB to get involved in.
I would imagine they would be required to wear a sleeve of an acceptable color.

He was suspended for not having a lick of common sense to just not say that thing.
You mean that racist thing that his skin color along with a dark uniform makes it easy to hide a football?  I believe that's an actual chant from the KKK.  

You mean that racist thing that his skin color along with a dark uniform makes it easy to hide a football?  I believe that's an actual chant from the KKK.  
If you can't see that saying anything in the year 2019 about skin color is basically off-limits, especially as a talking head to the public, I don't know what to tell you. It brought nothing of value to the discussion and put his employer in an unwinnable position.

If you can't see that saying anything in the year 2019 about skin color is basically off-limits, especially as a talking head to the public, I don't know what to tell you. It brought nothing of value to the discussion and put his employer in an unwinnable position.
Actually, you're completely wrong.  It's actually a good point he brought up.  Using shades of a color to disguise a ball, especially when trying to deceive the defense, is pretty insightful.

It's the faux-outrage like you are displaying right now that is ridiculous.  Or do you just not like hearing people of color like myself have an opinion?

I would imagine they would be required to wear a sleeve of an acceptable color.
This happened like 15 years ago, Justin Miller.  There are already rules in place re:tattoos.

Actually, you're completely wrong.  It's actually a good point he brought up.  Using shades of a color to disguise a ball, especially when trying to deceive the defense, is pretty insightful.

It's the faux-outrage like you are displaying right now that is ridiculous.  Or do you just not like hearing people of color like myself have an opinion?
Wow.  Do you see how quickly that turned on you?  Being branded a racist just because you were trying to make a point.  That would suck if I was being serious, wouldn't it?

I'm not outraged about anything. You asked the question, "is this off limits?" and I answered "yes."

I'm not outraged about anything. You asked the question, "is this off limits?" and I answered "yes."
And I asked why and you said because "race."  Which is the dumbest reason ever.  Are we really going to just be OK with pretending people aren't different races and have different skin colors?

Wow.  Do you see how quickly that turned on you?  Being branded a racist just because you were trying to make a point.  That would suck if I was being serious, wouldn't it?
You're not being insightful whatsoever. I'm just telling you what the climate is. Which, as a hobbyist meteorologist, you should be very deft at reading climates.

Users who are viewing this thread