What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I Need Help - How to Handle a Trade (1 Viewer)

Andrew74

Footballguy
I am the commish of a 15 year dynasty league.  I have decided to stop playing FF after this year.  Maybe it was a mistake, but I told two of the long time, dedicated member this so they'd have time to figure out who would take over, etc, since I figured one of those two would be the next commish or they'd share.  One of them (we'll call him commish 1) has told me several times this season that he's concerned the league will fold.  Well, fast forward to this morning.  Commish 1 made the playoffs (he's one of the best 2 teams in the league) and Commish 2 did not.  So this morning a trade comes over the wire for me to approve.  Commish 1 trades JuJu to Commish 2 for Fournette.  Commish 1 has a weakness at RB2 (he has CMac).  

We don't have a trade deadline.  The league has always not wanted to restrict owners abilities to build a roster.  There isn't a lot of trading in this league, and we've never had a bid deal go down around the playoffs.  I don't want to get stuck on this point.

Did I just f' this up by giving them inside information?  What do I do?

Your rules allow this trade.  It's a dynasty league.
This was my first reaction too. I don’t do dynasty, only keeper leagues where you keep one or two players, and we have trade deadlines in November in both leagues. Is it normal for dynasty leagues to not have a trade deadline? Obviously, if you change your mind and return next season, it might be a good idea to implement a trade deadline. Sounds like a simple fix for future years to prevent trades like this at playoff time, but I don’t think there’s much that can be done about this trade. 

All of my leagues have a trade deadline.  If the league does not have a deadline, then it was always the leagues intent to allow trades like this.

For what it's worth, I did a quick internet search and found a non FBG site which has JuJu as dynasty overall player #9 and Fournette as dynasty overall #15.

I.E., there is nothing wrong with this deal from a dynasty league fantasy football standpoint.

You could have kept this to yourself for three more weeks and it would have had little impact on the process to find your replacement so in hindsight, you probably should have done that. That said, this is hardly a trade that only makes sense if the world is ending tomorrow.

Did you make the play-off?

I am the commish of a 15 year dynasty league.  I have decided to stop playing FF after this year.  Maybe it was a mistake, but I told two of the long time, dedicated member this so they'd have time to figure out who would take over, etc, since I figured one of those two would be the next commish or they'd share.  One of them (we'll call him commish 1) has told me several times this season that he's concerned the league will fold.  Well, fast forward to this morning.  Commish 1 made the playoffs (he's one of the best 2 teams in the league) and Commish 2 did not.  So this morning a trade comes over the wire for me to approve.  Commish 1 trades JuJu to Commish 2 for Fournette.  Commish 1 has a weakness at RB2 (he has CMac).  

We don't have a trade deadline.  The league has always not wanted to restrict owners abilities to build a roster.  There isn't a lot of trading in this league, and we've never had a bid deal go down around the playoffs.  I don't want to get stuck on this point.

Trade makes total sense for both teams.  Your mistake is allowing it.  Before this season that trade would seem good if not favor the JJ side.   

Does the trade look unfair to you for some reason?
No, there's nothing wrong with the trade itself.

Do you think Commish 1 made this trade because he thinks the league is folding?
That's what I'm wondering.  He's a MASSIVE Juju homer.  Honestly I think he's buying the title, which he's never won, before this ends.  If he didn't know I was leaving, I don't think he would have made this trade.  But that's all speculation on my part.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the replies.  The only reason I posted this is it feels a lot like insider trading.  But apart from accusing the two guys of collusion, which I wouldn't do, I'll just roll with it.  I wanted to make sure I wasn't making a wrong move in allowing it.

I think your only real thought is Commish 1 thinks the league is folding, and is therefore playing it like a redraft league.  If he is, it's a #### move.

What's wrong with this trade?

As a longstanding commish my policy is hands off.  Do not interfere, do not question the integrity of owners even when you want to. 

Your situation should be known to ALL owners and make this trade open to ALL members.  Tell them you believe they are acting in best practices because most people are acting in good faith.  Tell the league you hope it keeps going because you do.

Let the trade happen and see where the chips fall. 

You either have divested from the league or you still are emotionally invested and want to continue playing so this is a way to jump back in.  Tell the league you are leaning to opt out but you want to reconsider by next year's draft because, my opinion is you don't want to let the league go.

As a follow up, Commish1 traded his 1st and Gerald Everett for James White and a 2nd (from another playoff team).   :shrug:

As a follow up, Commish1 traded his 1st and Gerald Everett for James White and a 2nd (from another playoff team).   :shrug:
This one is worse than the first but people make "win now" type of trades even when they don't think the league is going to end. White will still be a decent ppr asset next year so this isn't all that outrageous.

I'm not sure what remedy you can introduce, and whether the machinations of the procedures by which the remedy is enacted benefits the league going forward when it becomes a sort of precedent. Tough situation. Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it would ease your conscience just announce your departure to the rest of the league so these two aren't the only ones with "inside information". I doubt the guy that traded away James White will regret it or anything but teams do trade for picks with the intention of being able to use them.

Otherwise I don't really see any major issues here. The JuJu for Henry trade was actually in the favor of the guy getting JuJu.

The "insider knowledge" could be a factor but the trades are all sound, reasonable trades that happen all the time in win-now vs. build-for-later deals. There is no way you can prevent this trade without and explanation for the veto that would 100% end the league and leave all involved with a bad experience.

Yeah announce it to the rest of the league.  I'd be mad if I was one of the playoff teams and didn't know this while the commish did and started stacking his roster when trades like this typically don't happen. 

Not to state the obvious but this is why every league needs a trade deadline. 
This is the exact type of trade that Dynasty owners try and make every year.  Once you are out of the running you look to build for the future.  There is nothing wrong with this trade in any way for a dynasty league.  Fair from both sides.

This is the exact type of trade that happens in most dynasty leagues as the year winds down.  Someone out of the playoffs is trying to improve for the next year by trading away assets they think have increased value in the current year for assets they think will improve their team in the long term.  I don't see where you even have any thoughts of problems for this trade.

If you really think its an issue due to you leaving after this year that should have been announced to everyone (if you were going to announce it to anyone).   It's something that could have been announced once the season was over.  There was no need to hurry the announcement at all. 

To me this is a complete non-issue. 

This is the exact type of trade that Dynasty owners try and make every year.  Once you are out of the running you look to build for the future.  There is nothing wrong with this trade in any way for a dynasty league.  Fair from both sides.
It's not ok this time of year when the playoffs are set.  Plus not everyone knows the commish is leaving so I'm sure the other playoff teams would love to have that knowledge so they can reassess whether to go for it now or to chance it for next year.  That's the bigger issue.  These other 2 commishes have information the rest of the league doesn't and the one in particular is taking advantage of that.  Super sketchy.  Plus the op even said not a lot of trades happen in this league. 

It's not ok this time of year when the playoffs are set.  Plus not everyone knows the commish is leaving so I'm sure the other playoff teams would love to have that knowledge so they can reassess whether to go for it now or to chance it for next year.  That's the bigger issue.  These other 2 commishes have information the rest of the league doesn't and the one in particular is taking advantage of that.  Super sketchy.  Plus the op even said not a lot of trades happen in this league. 
Dynasty leagues are long term so it doesn't matter that playoffs are set.  This is the time of year rebuilding teams can improve quickly.  Hindering teams from making deals that can benefit them in the future is a disservice to the league.  If leagues fear this then put in a trade deadline.  This league doesn't have a deadline so nothing wrong with this deal in any way.

I agree the whole league should know the commish is leaving.  There was no reason to keep it a secret.  That just gives the impression of sketchiness whether or not actual sketchiness occurred. 

The fact that not many trades happen is really irrelevant.  The trade is fine as is for dynasty purposes. 

Dynasty leagues are long term so it doesn't matter that playoffs are set.  This is the time of year rebuilding teams can improve quickly.  Hindering teams from making deals that can benefit them in the future is a disservice to the league.  If leagues fear this then put in a trade deadline.  This league doesn't have a deadline so nothing wrong with this deal in any way.

I agree the whole league should know the commish is leaving.  There was no reason to keep it a secret.  That just gives the impression of sketchiness whether or not actual sketchiness occurred. 

The fact that not many trades happen is really irrelevant.  The trade is fine as is for dynasty purposes. 
But in this case this dynasty league doesn't sound like it's long term.  And the fact trades don't happen very often is totally relevant.  Tells me it's not the norm so the one commish is being sketchy by using that information.  It seems the OP feel this way too or he would never have posted the question. Whatever I'm done with this you will not change my mind and I won't change yours. 

Collusion?  Nope.....then its fine.  As long as Ben is coming back next season I'd rather have JuJu anyway, in dynasty.  Fournette is an immediate fix for a playoff team, but long-term, he's not the answer for anything, imo.....Fournette has volume, but he's nothing special, and they are running him into the ground, literally.

The trades are what they are.  I wish I’d not said anything.  But thanks for the sounding board on this. 

But in this case this dynasty league doesn't sound like it's long term.  And the fact trades don't happen very often is totally relevant.  Tells me it's not the norm so the one commish is being sketchy by using that information.  It seems the OP feel this way too or he would never have posted the question. Whatever I'm done with this you will not change my mind and I won't change yours. 
Well that looks like the only possible problem here, and the commish is the one who told some of the owners and not the rest. Worrying about these trades is silly.

Trade makes sense to me. Commish 2 thinks he's buying low on JuJu and selling high on Fournette. Commish 1 gets to make a run this year, and gives up what could be a solid WR for years to come (shelf life on RBs is shorter). 

Isn't this how dynasties are supposed to work? 

I'd rather have JuJu anyway, in dynasty.  Fournette is an immediate fix for a playoff team, but long-term, he's not the answer for anything,

Commish 1 gets to make a run this year, and gives up what could be a solid WR for years to come (shelf life on RBs is shorter). 

Isn't this how dynasties are supposed to work? 
Agree with both above if this is a dynasty league.  I think the point here is that Commish 1 thinks (or knows) that this is no longer a dynasty league.

I think it's a d*ck move but nothing you can do. 

Wouldn't it be the same if someone knew they were personally going to quit, so they traded away all of their next year draft picks to stack themselves up for a title run this year?  Is that banned or simply bad form?  If you know you're quitting, and leave the guy who takes over your team next year with no picks, but go for it all this year.  This is the same thing as that.

Well, Fournette did next to nothing for him. Did he lose?

Best thing you can do at this point is not quit the league.

Second best thing you can do is to trade some good players to whoever is playing Commish #1 in the playoffs.

Best thing you can do at this point is not quit the league.

Second best thing you can do is to trade some good players to whoever is playing Commish #1 in the playoffs.
I know no one cares, but hey, I'm here so I'm going to update it.

Commish #1 lost his playoff matchup by a little over 3 points.  His new RBs helped but not enough to overcome Brees.  I mentioned a couple days later I was having second thoughts about "retiring."  A day later he told me, "I f'd my team up."  Overall it was an entertaining weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread