What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

IT Guys "code repository" (1 Viewer)

belljr

Footballguy
I've used different versions before but have never set something up before. And I was using for actual code files (java) - this is a little different

I'm looking for something preferably free that is not overly complicated.  The gist is we have a slew of text files.

Now these text files can be repeating (meaning we have folders x,y,z) and File001 can exist in different forms in each folder. (Think x,y,z as build baselines and File001 as a code module that may been changed for different baselines.  Or I can create one repository with File001 and check it in and out and label it etc (whatever would be easiest).

Anyway these are small text files but i would also prefer if it had some type of "auto" revision/version n the header so the users can see which version they have.

Any ideas?   I'm trying git in eclipse and while that works good it doesn't substitute for end user ease of use.

These files are basically "templates" that the user can then fill out the template information to "customize" their product.

example

File01.txt

if Color = blue

highlight

end if

display a,b,c

The next "build" we might add a new variable the old "build" cant use

I'm trying to be generic here but provide an example :)

Any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
Any way to enforce a test build before they can commit to the repository? Allowing users to do stuff is dangerous, especially if a commit triggers a new build that will affect production.

Any way to enforce a test build before they can commit to the repository? Allowing users to do stuff is dangerous, especially if a commit triggers a new build that will affect production.
These are literally text files.  I can't speak deep for the process but trust me there is no danger in this....

We release these with the base build.

This lets them have "customization"

Trust me our dev process is fine etc - this is just an end piece that doesnt' really have a version control system.   They can't "break" anything by using these templates 

Maybe include version info in the template and tag merges with version number?

Sorry, I don't have much to add. I'm using Atlassian SourceTree with locally hosted GIT repositories. 

At my place we commit to a main repo which triggers a test build. If that succeeds, we use a utility we wrote which 

- branches from current production repo

- cherry-picks changes to production repo branch

- increments version (values in source code) and commits that change to the branch

- merges branch into production repo

- tags the merge/commit with version tag.

It was a lot of work to get it all going but saves a lot of work now and we can always see exact source for a specific production version.

Maybe include version info in the template and tag commits with version number?

Sorry, I don't have much to add. I'm using Atlassian SourceTree with locally hosted GIT repositories. 

At my place we commit to a main repo which causes a test build. If that succeeds, we use a utility we wrote which cherry-picks to production repo, does a version increment there, tags the production commit with version tags, and build from production repo. It was a lot of work to get it all going but saves a lot of work now and we can always see exact source for a specific production version.
yes the current system uses an old RCS - but its all command line and a mess.

At least it autpopulated the revision/date in the header file of our templates.

git through eclipse doesn't appear to do that.   id hate to have to manually update the header revisions etc.

I want something to autopopulate.   The git repository I've been messing around with I can get it to version and branch but it doesn't auto update so I still don't have a non manual way.

We use something else for our dev/qa/prod code CM  but that is overkill for this .

Thanks though - there is really nothing to compile here.  

Ok, good luck. I was editing my post when you quoted it but I doubt the parts I added will help you. Not sure about the "auto update" thing you mentioned. Is it your intention to keep all those branches separate forever or merge them back into the root branch? I would think to keep revisions incrementing you'd have to merge them back in after branching. Not sure if a subsequent command would be required for the merge or if there's a command line option to do it all at once.

Good luck.

Ok, good luck. I was editing my post when you quoted it but I doubt the parts I added will help you. Not sure about the "auto update" thing you mentioned. Is it your intention to keep all those branches separate forever or merge them back into the root branch? I would think to keep revisions incrementing you'd have to merge them back in after branching. Not sure if a subsequent command would be required for the merge or if there's a command line option to do it all at once.

Good luck.
I meant autopopulate the header in the template for example:

$Revision$

$Date$

When a file gets checked in it "auotpopulates" the date and revision above.   So build X - could use File 01 revision 1.1, FIle02 1.3 etc    build y - could use File01 2.1 and File02 didnt change so its stil 1.3 etc etc 

Its tough to really lay out the case use with not typing out the entire system :)

BUt basically our software is CM in an entirely different area and system.    THis is "independent" of all of that but at the end of the processs these files can be used by our software systems.

I just need something better to manage these file changes for 4 different "software baselines" since we can go back and update the templates on their own release schedule....

In reality i dont care what the system or revisions are called.  I just want to check in a file - its now revision 2.1 on this date.  It gets put out into the appropriate directories and now the user can use it.

If the person using the template opens it and can see it is revision 2.1 on this date they know its the right one.....

Why won't github work for you?
i dont see how to have the headers auto populate via substitution variables

i dont see how to check out an individual file without make a whole new branch

eta:  i can't have any of this "online"

Users who are viewing this thread