Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Rashida Tlaib


GROOT

Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, jon_mx said:

She is the David Duke of the left.  She casts votes and spews rhetoric which reeks of anti-semitism.  She deserves criticism.  By itself, this event could be dismissed and excused.  

 

Jon, I’m interested in reading articles substantiating this claim.  Are the articles John Blutarsky linked a suitable representation? I read those and a couple others I found but I don’t think I fully understand yet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, jon_mx said:

She is the David Duke of the left.  She casts votes and spews rhetoric which reeks of anti-semitism.  She deserves criticism.  By itself, this event could be dismissed and excused.  

 

And by the way, here’s just one example of David Duke’s writing that you’re making the comparison to:

Quote

We [Whites] desire to live in our own neighborhoods, go to our own schools, work in our own cities and towns, and ultimately live as one extended family in our own nation. We shall end the racial genocide of integration. We shall work for the eventual establishment of a separate homeland for African Americans, so each race will be free to pursue its own destiny without racial conflicts and ill will.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Juxtatarot said:

Jon, I’m interested in reading articles substantiating this claim.  Are the articles John Blutarsky linked a suitable representation? I read those and a couple others I found but I don’t think I fully understand yet.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/rashida-tlaib-blames-white-supremacy-for-new-jersey-shooting

Tlaib, 43, has been accused of anti-Semitism for comments she has made attacking Israel. The Democrat is a staunch defender of the Boycott, Divest, and Sanctions movement. In July, the freshman Democrat compared boycotting Israel to the U.S. boycotting Nazi Germany during World War II.

She was later barred from visiting the country because of her support for the BDS movement but was subsequently told she would be allowed to visit her dying grandmother in the West Bank if she refrained from promoting boycotts against Israel while there. However, she went on to decline the offer, saying the terms set "oppressive conditions."

Last week, Tlaib was one of only four Democrats to oppose a resolution calling for a two-state solution. In a speech she gave on the floor defending her position, the freshman congresswoman accused the Israeli government of being racist.

"This resolution not only endorses an unrealistic, unattainable solution, one that Israel has made impossible, but also one that legitimatizes inequality, ethnic discrimination, and inhumane conditions," Tlaib said, claiming that Israel was trying to make a "separate but equal" mentality between Jews and Palestinians.

Tlaib has also been criticized for posing with terrorist sympathizers. In January, she was photographed with a Hezbollah supporter, and in September she posed for a photo with a youth group that advocates for violence against Israel.

‐-----‐------

There is more, but that hits some highlights. 

.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, TobiasFunke said:

It was a mass shooting at a kosher market and they established that the motive was anti-Semitism before she tweeted it I believe. Given those established facts what percentage chance would a reasonable person put on it being a white supremacist? 95%? Higher?

A kosher market in NYC?  Maybe I'm ignorant, but given just those two facts I'd be thinking Islamic first, white supremacist next.  Maybe 50/50?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, jon_mx said:

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/rashida-tlaib-blames-white-supremacy-for-new-jersey-shooting

Tlaib, 43, has been accused of anti-Semitism for comments she has made attacking Israel. The Democrat is a staunch defender of the Boycott, Divest, and Sanctions movement. In July, the freshman Democrat compared boycotting Israel to the U.S. boycotting Nazi Germany during World War II.

She was later barred from visiting the country because of her support for the BDS movement but was subsequently told she would be allowed to visit her dying grandmother in the West Bank if she refrained from promoting boycotts against Israel while there. However, she went on to decline the offer, saying the terms set "oppressive conditions."

Last week, Tlaib was one of only four Democrats to oppose a resolution calling for a two-state solution. In a speech she gave on the floor defending her position, the freshman congresswoman accused the Israeli government of being racist.

"This resolution not only endorses an unrealistic, unattainable solution, one that Israel has made impossible, but also one that legitimatizes inequality, ethnic discrimination, and inhumane conditions," Tlaib said, claiming that Israel was trying to make a "separate but equal" mentality between Jews and Palestinians.

Tlaib has also been criticized for posing with terrorist sympathizers. In January, she was photographed with a Hezbollah supporter, and in September she posed for a photo with a youth group that advocates for violence against Israel.

‐-----‐------

There is more, but that hits some highlights. 

.

I gotta say, I happen to believe she is anti-Semitic, and I recall reading some statements of hers that make me think so. But you haven’t provided good examples here. Criticism of Israel, even of a radical nature that endorses violence and Hezbollah, is not necessarily anti-Semitic. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, timschochet said:

I gotta say, I happen to believe she is anti-Semitic, and I recall reading some statements of hers that make me think so. But you haven’t provided good examples here. Criticism of Israel, even of a radical nature that endorses violence and Hezbollah, is not necessarily anti-Semitic. 

Earlier ssturday morning just wsking up lying in bed, a quick cut and paste from the first decent source which pops up is the best you are going to get.  I am more shocked at 4am you are responding. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, jon_mx said:

She is the David Duke of the left.  She casts votes and spews rhetoric which reeks of anti-semitism.  She deserves criticism.  By itself, this event could be dismissed and excused.  

:jawdrop:

Considering that Duke is a convicted felon, a former Grand Wizard of the Ku Klux Klan. Duke and a Holocaust denier, I don't know what to say to such a hyperbolic statement. She has been highly critical of Israel, but comparing her with David Duke is way over the top. 

Edited by squistion
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, jon_mx said:

Earlier ssturday morning just wsking up lying in bed, a quick cut and paste from the first decent source which pops up is the best you are going to get.  I am more shocked at 4am you are responding. 

What can I say I had insomnia. 

Even so I think it’s an important point. Conservatives, and many pro-Israeli Jews, are all too eager to conflate anti-Zionism with anti-Semitism. I know because I do it myself. Whenever I hear somebody ripping Israel I immediately get my back up and wonder if that person hates Jews. I look for signs of it; sometimes, as in the case of Tliab, I get them. But many times I don’t, and I try to be fair minded when I don’t. Many Jews, especially older ones who suffered anti-Semitism, are not willing to be fair minded. 

Jews are not the only ones who do this of course. Many blacks get suspicious if somebody argues against affirmative action. Many Mexican Americans get suspicious if somebody argues too strongly for a wall on our southern border. And yet there ARE bigots out there, and sometimes they’re pretty easy to spot. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, jon_mx said:

Earlier ssturday morning just wsking up lying in bed, a quick cut and paste from the first decent source which pops up is the best you are going to get.  I am more shocked at 4am you are responding. 

The Washington Examiner isn't a very decent source though (pretty strong  tight woth some issues with fact checks).  Nor is the comparison to David Duke IMO.

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/washington-examiner/?amp

Edited by sho nuff
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, sho nuff said:

The Washington Examiner isn't a very decent source though (pretty strong  tight woth some issues with fact checks).  Nor is the comparison to David Duke IMO.

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/washington-examiner/?amp

Was anything in that link from the Washington Examiner false?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

No way would this Rashida do something like that.

Quote

video resurfaced Saturday of Democratic Michigan Rep. Rashida Tlaib being forcibly removed from an Aug. 8, 2016 Trump campaign event in Detroit while screaming, "You guys are crazy!"

Footage showed two security officials holding Tlaib by her arms and guiding her toward the exit while she screamed at the crowd gathered for Trump's speech. Tlaib was reportedly among at least 14 protesters removed from the event that evening. 

The event, which took place at the Cobo Center in Detroit and was hosted by the Detroit Economic Club, took place just ahead of 2016 presidential election. His speech that evening was reportedly focused on taxes, repealing Obamacare, and bolstering the economy. 

Other protesters could reportedly be heard yelling, "Tiny hands, tiny hands," "Racist!" and "Boo boo, shame on you!" toward the future president as he spoke. 

Trump's supporters can be heard yelling back at Tlaib as she was removed from the venue, "You're an animal" and "Get a job!" Trump received a standing ovation at the conclusion of his hour-long speech. A spokesperson for the Detroit Economic Club claimed that all protesters removed that night would be investigated and banned from any future Club events.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/watch-screaming-rashida-tlaib-physically-removed-from-2016-trump-event

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, sho nuff said:

The Washington Examiner isn't a very decent source though (pretty strong  tight worth some issues with fact checks).  Nor is the comparison to David Duke IMO.

Well, we are not suppose to criticize that because it was "the first decent source which pops up"... Somehow, if I posted something from The Palmer Report, I doubt it would cut it for any critics if I explained it by saying, "it was the first decent choice that popped up in my search."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, timschochet said:

What can I say I had insomnia. 

Even so I think it’s an important point. Conservatives, and many pro-Israeli Jews, are all too eager to conflate anti-Zionism with anti-Semitism. I know because I do it myself. Whenever I hear somebody ripping Israel I immediately get my back up and wonder if that person hates Jews. I look for signs of it; sometimes, as in the case of Tliab, I get them. But many times I don’t, and I try to be fair minded when I don’t. Many Jews, especially older ones who suffered anti-Semitism, are not willing to be fair minded. 

Jews are not the only ones who do this of course. Many blacks get suspicious if somebody argues against affirmative action. Many Mexican Americans get suspicious if somebody argues too strongly for a wall on our southern border. And yet there ARE bigots out there, and sometimes they’re pretty easy to spot. 

Well when your anti-isreal rhetoric includes comparison to Nazi Germany, it crosses the line. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, John Blutarsky said:

This attacking the source shtick is ridiculous. What was incorrect in the link from the Washington Examiner?

I agree with you. 

So far as I know, the Examiner is a conservative newspaper, but not a disreputable one, nothing like the sites I mentioned in the thread I started on this subject. And in any case, all of the instances cited by Jon are well documented. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, John Blutarsky said:

This attacking the source shtick is ridiculous. What was incorrect in the link from the Washington Examiner?

I’m not aware of anything factually inaccurate although I’m not very knowledgeable about this topic.  However, I didn’t read anything in the article showing how she’s some sort of equivalent to David Duke.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Juxtatarot said:

I’m not aware of anything factually inaccurate although I’m not very knowledgeable about this topic.  However, I didn’t read anything in the article showing how she’s some sort of equivalent to David Duke.

He didn’t equate the link to his comments about Duke. What he posted was facts and yet the spin is attack the source or now say the article doesn’t equate to Duke. 

Edited by John Blutarsky
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Widbil83 said:

When you are going so insane that you have to be physically picked up off your feet to be removed you are indeed acting like an animal.

It’s not a smart thing to say or a nice thing to say. And if we’re all looking for more civility it doesn’t help. The guy who rushes off the bench to join the players fighting on the field may not be the guiltiest one in the crowd, but he IS guilty and he DOES get punished. And rightfully so. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, timschochet said:

I agree with you. 

So far as I know, the Examiner is a conservative newspaper, but not a disreputable one, nothing like the sites I mentioned in the thread I started on this subject. And in any case, all of the instances cited by Jon are well documented. 

I posted the link to them...its not an attack of the source...but a comment in that its not a great source.  And it seems necessary in these days kn this board when NYT and Washington Post stories get flat out ignored for sites like that.  Along the lines of the thread you posted and where some of that conversation went.  The examiner has some ok stuff...their opeds are far right and as the fact checks show...they have a problem with their reliability.  They aren't some decent source...they will be the conservative spin (at best) ...they aren’t Conservative Treehouse bad...

 

Note:  jon is not one who would just ignore sources and just use right wing wins...so he does get a bit more benefit of the doubt here...perhaps decent meant it was better than other sources reporting that stuff...

Edited by sho nuff
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, sho nuff said:

I posted the link to them...its not an attack of the source...but a comment in that its not a great source.  And it seems necessary in these days kn this board when NYT and Washington Post stories get flat out ignored for sites like that.  Along the lines of the thread you posted and where some of that conversation went.  The examiner has some ok stuff...their opeds are far right and as the fact checks show...they have a problem with their reliability.  They aren't some decent source...they will be the conservative spin (at best) ...they aren’t Conservative Treehouse bad...

The people who dismiss the NYT and WP are themselves worth dismissing. No need to imitate them. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, timschochet said:

The people who dismiss the NYT and WP are themselves worth dismissing. No need to imitate them. 

I edited to add to my post that jon wasn't one of those people.

And Im not imitating them...I didn't dismiss the article...but also the Examiner os not equivalent with NYT or WP

  • Laughing 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, John Blutarsky said:

This attacking the source shtick is ridiculous. What was incorrect in the link from the Washington Examiner?

If CNN or NYT actually covered stories like these on Democrats we wouldn’t have this problem. Quick search and no reporting from either. I wonder if this were Jim Jordan if they would have reported on it?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, sho nuff said:

I posted the link to them...its not an attack of the source...but a comment in that its not a great source.  And it seems necessary in these days kn this board when NYT and Washington Post stories get flat out ignored for sites like that.  Along the lines of the thread you posted and where some of that conversation went.  The examiner has some ok stuff...their opeds are far right and as the fact checks show...they have a problem with their reliability.  They aren't some decent source...they will be the conservative spin (at best) ...they aren’t Conservative Treehouse bad...

You do this all the time. It’s your new shtick. If there was nothing incorrect in the link, then there is no need to do what you do. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Widbil83 said:

If CNN or NYT actually covered stories like these on Democrats we wouldn’t have this problem. Quick search and no reporting from either. I wonder if this were Jim Jordan if they would have reported on it?

If this is true, (and I have no time this morning to check it out for myself so for the moment I will take your word) then I find your argument compelling. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, John Blutarsky said:

You do this all the time. It’s your new shtick. If there was nothing incorrect in the link, then there is no need to do what you do. 

You know, yesterday you made several comments about me as a poster and then I made comments about YOU as a poster and I felt bad about it afterwards. Whether my remarks were accurate or not, I really shouldn’t be doing that. Neither should you. How about we stop making posts in which we criticize other posters? Rip his point of view all you want, but stop with the “you do this all the time”. And I promise to stop too. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, timschochet said:

If this is true, (and I have no time this morning to check it out for myself so for the moment I will take your word) then I find your argument compelling. 

Fox and the Examiner may be the most decent ones doing a story jn her tweet...which she deleted.  The others are a who’s who of right-wing conspiracy and fake mews sites.  That doesn’t necessarily make the argument compelling at all.

Not one even centrist site seems to have reported on it...

Edited by sho nuff
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, timschochet said:

If this is true, (and I have no time this morning to check it out for myself so for the moment I will take your word) then I find your argument compelling. 

You don’t have to go to the library to do this. Take a few posts off and report back.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I didn’t notice that it was a protest from 3 years ago the first time. 

That changes things somewhat. While it’s an interesting detail about Tlaib, it’s not really news. I can see why nobody else other than conservative sites chose to report it. 

If that protest had occurred this morning, I would agree with your point. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, timschochet said:

I didn’t notice that it was a protest from 3 years ago the first time. 

That changes things somewhat. While it’s an interesting detail about Tlaib, it’s not really news. I can see why nobody else other than conservative sites chose to report it. 

If that protest had occurred this morning, I would agree with your point. 

I dont think the protest was the article that was not on anything but conservative sites but the story of the tweet she deleted.

And I reject argument that if Jordan dod it it would be bigger news is a sign of bias.  Its a sign of Jordan’s standing nationally and in the party vs Tlaib’s.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Kal El said:

Her own anti-Semitic views are pretty well known to me, and I'm not a fan of hers at all. That said, racial/ethnic supremacists of any type are unintelligent people, and their views should be strongly condemned. If a person hates another person for no reason than beyond a difference in physical appearance, they are not smart.

Tlaibs hate for Israel and Jews seem to be ingrained and part of the fabric of her being.   I don`t think she is helping our cause at all and at times hurts it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Summer Wheat said:

Tlaibs hate for Israel and Jews seem to be ingrained and part of the fabric of her being.   I don`t think she is helping our cause at all and at times hurts it.

Could you provide an example of this hatred?  That’s a strong accusation to make without support.  Or are you using “hate” hyperbolically?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Summer Wheat said:

Tlaibs hate for Israel and Jews seem to be ingrained and part of the fabric of her being.   I don`t think she is helping our cause at all and at times hurts it.

It's going to sound like a generalization, but it does seem to be common in Islamic communities. They share a long history of questionable relations, possibly even back to the days of Abraham. It's basically a 5000 year old family feud, like the Hatfields and McCoys on enough steroids to beat Russia at their own doping game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, timschochet said:

I didn’t notice that it was a protest from 3 years ago the first time. 

That changes things somewhat. While it’s an interesting detail about Tlaib, it’s not really news. I can see why nobody else other than conservative sites chose to report it. 

If that protest had occurred this morning, I would agree with your point. 

 Not the crazy video of her being carried out, the actual story today. CNN and the NYT haven’t said a peep.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Juxtatarot said:

Could you provide an example of this hatred?  That’s a strong accusation to make without support.  Or are you using “hate” hyperbolically?

Hate is a word easily tossed around these days.   If you have ever met people from Palestine they are raised to believe Jews are evil, it is more of a cultural thing.  

Edited by Summer Wheat
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Widbil83 said:

 Not the crazy video of her being carried out, the actual story today. CNN and the NYT haven’t said a peep.

Neither has anyone outside of mostly far right wing sources.  Didn't see a single neutral site reporting it...did you?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Comparisons to David Duke are not fair. Saying that you should only be upset by this if you like white supremacists is unfair.

She shouldn't have done it. She should have apologized. The media should have covered it considering the coverage they give to far smaller gaffes on the right or even better would be if they stopped covering anything like this on any side.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, sho nuff said:

Neither has anyone outside of mostly far right wing sources.  Didn't see a single neutral site reporting it...did you?

That is the whole point of this thread, but the Democrat argument seems to be this is a complete nothing burger not deserving of coverage. 
 

Again if this were (insert any random random white Republican name here) going on a tweet storm 2 seconds after a mass shooting blaming Islam and being completely wrong it would be top news on every MSM outlet. It’s the hypocrisy sho, this is a big reason why most people hate the MSM and why Boris and Trump win elections.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
  • Create New...