What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Joe Burrow, CIN (1 Viewer)

I think 30 TD passes is a real possibility with this kid. Will he score a few TD on the ground?
A few running TD's seem reasonable.  Young QB's tend to scramble more than they will after they gain that NFL experience.

We'll need to see more from that Bengals offensive line before projecting 30 TD's passing though.  Not saying it's wrong...just a lot for any rookie QB to put up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Evan Silva@evansilva

Re-watched Alabama-LSU national championship game the other night. Burrow is just so incredibly good. And reports out of #Bengals camp suggest he’s everything they expected & more.

From the article.

In all, it makes Burrow a smart stash play in most fantasy leagues. He could quickly become the type of fantasy player capable of hopping in on a per-matchup basis and winning games, if not an outright week-to-week starter later in the season.
Mike@mmansour91

Yet someone like Burrow this year is ranked behind the likes of Goff, Cousins, Tannehill, ect on basically every platform. When it’s the #1 overall pick and his natural talent + weapons + horrible defense that has a clearer path to becoming an elite fantasy QB.

----------------------------------------------------

Sigmund Bloom@SigmundBloom

bengals quickly becoming a make sure you take a player to hitch a ride on this comet team

Would anyone else be surprised if he had 300 yards and 2-3 TDs this weekend? I have a feeling he might ball out immediately. 

Would anyone else be surprised if he had 300 yards and 2-3 TDs this weekend? I have a feeling he might ball out immediately. 
He'll have to avoid the Charger pass rush and scramble, which he did last season in college. The over-under is 42, so Vegas isn't expecting either offense to light it up. Both offenses are unknown at this time. Boyd or Latavius Murray is my flex... I'm leaning away from Boyd until I see Burrow in action.

He'll have to avoid the Charger pass rush and scramble, which he did last season in college. The over-under is 42, so Vegas isn't expecting either offense to light it up. Both offenses are unknown at this time. Boyd or Latavius Murray is my flex... I'm leaning away from Boyd until I see Burrow in action.
I do like the over in this game. 

Joe Burrow completed 23-of-36 passes for 193 yards and one interception in the Bengals' Week 1 heart-breaking loss to the Chargers.

Burrow had a crucial unwarranted interception in the fourth quarter, but he gave the team a chance to force overtime with a clean fourth-quarter drive with three minutes to go. The Bengals kicker missed the game-tying field goal while appearing to cramp up. It was a very Cincy finish, especially with A.J. Green's would-be game-winning catch was overturned due to penalty. Overall, Burrow looked as expected. He offered rushing ability (46 yards and a score) but needs to get comfortable behind the Bengals' poor offensive line. Fortunately, Burrow won't have to face a corner group as good as the Chargers' for weeks. Burrow will be a QB2 in Cleveland for Week 2.

- Rotoworld

Looks like a star;  completely unshakable and he threw 60 plus times. What worries me is how zac Taylor plans to keep using mixon and that awful o line 

Looks like a star;  completely unshakable and he threw 60 plus times. What worries me is how zac Taylor plans to keep using mixon and that awful o line 
Agreed - was very impressive how he hung in there time after time despite his OL doing him no favors. He'll continue to make some rookie mistakes, but seems to have "it" .

From a fantasy perspective, can't expect him to put the ball up 60+ times, but I imagine there will be a lot of 40+ games, so he's probably going to put up some good fantasy stats along the way.  

What do you expect, he wings it 70 times?  There's no choice here, you have to try to run the ball.  The line sucks no doubt but the coaching is just going to have to try to get it figured out.  Get creative with the run fits, get a new guy in, change up the alignment, whatever.  But they still have to run the ball even if it's not overly effective.  If there's not even the threat of running it it gets worse for a rookie QB fast.

Kid looks very legit...was very impressed with his composure last night...just hope the coach and organization don't beat him into the ground.

What do you expect, he wings it 70 times?  There's no choice here, you have to try to run the ball.  The line sucks no doubt but the coaching is just going to have to try to get it figured out.  Get creative with the run fits, get a new guy in, change up the alignment, whatever.  But they still have to run the ball even if it's not overly effective.  If there's not even the threat of running it it gets worse for a rookie QB fast.
Crap, I meant how they use Mixon, not why are they running the ball. He's not being used efficiently at all. Yes I know they have to run the ball

Crap, I meant how they use Mixon, not why are they running the ball. He's not being used efficiently at all. Yes I know they have to run the ball
10-4, that's not how I took it but that's really the issue.  You gotta run him, and you gotta find a way to get it going despite having a horrible OL.  We'll see what these coaches are made of.

so...it’s a well-written article that supports its main premise, but it’s just 2 games.

To say he’s underachieving or failing to live up to expectations based on 2 games is a little bit ridiculous.

The author even include the fact that the Bengals OL is trash & his receivers aren’t getting open. 

Give the kid a break - Burrow looks 10x better than Minshew did at literally any point last night against one of the league’s worst defenses. It’s 2 games. Week 10, or even better, week 17 would seem more appropriate for a post mortem on Burrow’s 2020 season. 

There’s a lot of football to be played still. A lot. Maybe he (gasp) improves as he adjusts to the NFL level. :shrug:  

so...it’s a well-written article that supports its main premise, but it’s just 2 games.

To say he’s underachieving or failing to live up to expectations based on 2 games is a little bit ridiculous.

The author even include the fact that the Bengals OL is trash & his receivers aren’t getting open. 

Give the kid a break - Burrow looks 10x better than Minshew did at literally any point last night against one of the league’s worst defenses. It’s 2 games. Week 10, or even better, week 17 would seem more appropriate for a post mortem on Burrow’s 2020 season. 

There’s a lot of football to be played still. A lot. Maybe he (gasp) improves as he adjusts to the NFL level. :shrug:  
He passed the eye test for pocket presence, mobility, throwing under pressure. I paid close attention to his throws to Tyler Boyd. Those throws were on the money, 2 of them 4th down conversions, one for a TD. And there was little separation.

He passed the eye test for pocket presence, mobility, throwing under pressure. I paid close attention to his throws to Tyler Boyd. Those throws were on the money, 2 of them 4th down conversions, one for a TD. And there was little separation.
Agreed. I think there’s unrest in Cinci & they’ve suffered so long that it may be a form of Stockholm Syndrome - they want to embrace the suffering more than they want recognize the good aspects of what Burrow has done in just 2 games. Maybe they’re told to write with a critical bias so they don’t come off as homers & it sways the article way too far in the other direction. 

And in that eval they didn’t really mention the Swiss cheese defense against the Browns as the reason he had to put it up 61 times. 

Whatever the psychology behind it, I feel like this article is unduly harsh of a kid about to make his 3rd NFL start.

For people who are paying attention, calling a rookie QB "average" is actually a massive accolade.  Most rookie QBs are significantly below average (Rosen, Darnold, Allen, Jones, and Haskins come to mind).
Right, I agree. but the author seems to go well beyond the headline to insinuate that the things Burrow is doing poorly are somehow worthy of condemnation, despite acknowledging the limitations of the team around him.

Joe Burrow completed 31-of-44 passes for 312 yards and two touchdowns in the Bengals' Week 3 tie with the Eagles.

Burrow was under pressure often and notably took a hard hit that sidelined him for a snap in the first quarter. He bounced back from the shot and finished the day with yards and two scores. Burrow also made a highlight-reel play by evading a defender on a scramble and hitting Tee Higgins down the sideline. The play was nixed by a penalty but was an impressive show of Burrow's athleticism. Burrow is averaging over 47 pass attempts per game through three weeks and has some sneaky rushing potential. He's in a great spot next week versus a Jaguars defense that got shredded by Ryan Fitzpatrick on Thursday Night Football this week.

Sep 27, 2020, 3:57 PM ET

On pace for only 752 pass attempts this season.

(NFL record (all QBs not just rookies) is 725 by Stafford)

-QG

NFL Rookie Rankings: 10 highest-graded rookies through Week 4

Excerpt:

4. QB JOE BURROW, CINCINNATI BENGALS

The No. 1 overall pick is slowly creeping up this board after two weeks of strong play.

Burrow has earned an 88.5 PFF grade over the last two weeks, fourth-best in the NFL over that span. And while the deep ball doesn't look to be all the way there yet for the rookie — he has completed just one of his 22 20-plus-yard pass attempts — Burrow has been one of the top passers in the game at the intermediate range, generating an elite 92.9 passing grade on throws up to 19 yards downfield that trails only Russell Wilson and Aaron Rodgers.

Burrow's accuracy and timing have been on full display on these intermediate-range throws, with just 2.8% of them resulting in a quarterback-fault incompletion, the lowest rate in the NFL and over six percentage points better than the league average. We are only four weeks into his NFL career, but Burrow is already producing at a top-10 level despite the bad situation in Cincinnati.

Joe's got a flaw.

------------------------

Ravens would be wise to dare Joe Burrow to throw deep

Through four games:

• 20 attempts 20+ air yards
  • 7/20 have been on target, or 35%, which ranks 19th of 24 passers to throw 10 or more passes 20+ air yards.
  • Only one completion, making him 1/20.
That’s by far the lowest rate in football (he’s the only passer under 10%).
I heard of this a few days ago and have been watching to see how he does throwing deep. 

He's struggled today throwing deep so-far today.

Joe Burrow completed 19-of-30 passes for 183 yards, zero touchdowns and an interception in the Bengals' 27-3, Week 5 loss to the Ravens, also losing a fumble. 

Burrow got taken to school in this one, absorbing seven sacks as he ran for his life vs. the Ravens' elite front. Burrow's protection was bad, but his decision-making was equally so, as he routinely held onto the ball for too long. He took more than one thundering sack from behind. Burrow was lucky to escape with only two turnovers. His interception was a horrible decision vs. a free rusher, as he "threw the ball away" off his back foot over the middle of the field. It was easily picked off over a disinterested A.J. Green. Burrow took such a pounding that the Bengals almost exclusively ran the ball in fourth quarter garbage time, saving Burrow and setting up a field goal to prevent a shutout. Today was a humbling reminder of how far Burrow has to go, and how difficult it will be to get there behind this group of blockers. Things won't get any easier against the Colts next Sunday.

- Rotoworld

Joe Burrow completed 25-of-39 passes for 313 yards and one pick in Cincinnati's 31-27 Week 6 loss to the Colts.

He also tucked the ball and punched it in from two yards out to help build Cincinnati's 21-0 first-half lead. Burrow made a living getting the ball downfield to Tee Higgins (6/125) and on slants over the middle to A.J. Green (8/96) but ceded touchdowns inside the 10-yard line to both Joe Mixon (18/54/1) and Giovani Bernard (8/15/1). Sunday was still the rookie's fourth game with 300-plus passing yards in his last five starts. With volume both through the air and on the ground assured, Burrow will again rank as a high-end QB2 in Week 7 against the Browns.

Oct 18, 2020, 4:20 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread