What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Joe Burrow, CIN (1 Viewer)

I don't view him as a great redraft play this year but he's certainly a great dynasty asset
Yeah we'll see. I think he was fantastic in college. He looks like an elite pocket QB prospect. I just don't know how much that is worth in the NFL game today. The game is changing and more running QB are coming in. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Kid can't be too bright then
I got a different impression. To me, that article was about the Bengals holding off on signing so they can keep the cash and make some interest on it for a bit longer before backing the Brinks truck up to Joe's door. 

"...as teams build their budgets with the potential for lost stadium and TV revenue in mind, it's possible some would want to hold on to signing bonus money a little bit longer than they would in a normal year."

ETA: No way any rookie is the party putting off the big pay day they've been eyeballing for years. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah we'll see. I think he was fantastic in college. He looks like an elite pocket QB prospect. I just don't know how much that is worth in the NFL game today. The game is changing and more running QB are coming in. 
I think you compare him to like Matt Ryan for fantasy.  In his best years, he may be near the top of the league in passing yards. But across the board and year to year, how hard is it to acquire Matt Ryan? Not very. 

I think you compare him to like Matt Ryan for fantasy.  In his best years, he may be near the top of the league in passing yards. But across the board and year to year, how hard is it to acquire Matt Ryan? Not very. 
Or he could be Mahomes 2.0.......the point is to be better than replacement level you have to run or throw 40+ TDs. 

Just grabbed him in a dynasty league where QBs are king.  I was under the impression he was a fairly good athlete that ran a bit.  By no means Lamar or Mahomes, but definitely not Brady or Ryan....?

Took over a team with no qb.  So had to draft him, so he'll end up a bust.  But here's hoping he does good!

Bengals OC Brian Callahan has been impressed by Joe Burrow's ability to understand what adjustments need to be made for each play during offseason meetings.

Callahan suggests Burrow being around football from an early age as a coach's kid as a factor in his football maturity - something Callahan would know, being the son of former Raiders head coach Bill Callahan. "What if I do this and this in this situation? Great, I love that, that’s what guys who have been playing for eight years do," Callahan described of his quarterback. Obviously Zoom meetings are not football practices, but all indications point to Burrow being ready to go from day one as the Bengals starter.

SOURCE: The Athletic

Jun 22, 2020, 11:53 AM ET

Bengals signed No. 1 overall pick QB Joe Burrow to a four-year, $36.1 million contract. 

Per ESPN's Adam Schefter, Burrow will receive his entire $23.88 million signing bonus "within 15 days of executing his contract." Coming off arguably the greatest quarterback season in college football history, Burrow set the FBS record for passing touchdowns (60) in his Heisman year for LUS. Burrow's blue chip accuracy, poise, and ability to read coverages led to the nation's second-best completion percentage (76%) since 1956. His arm strength is average for a first-round pocket passer, and he didn’t break out until he was a redshirt senior, but the rest of his profile remains unassailable. A former all-state high school basketball player, Burrow also flashed elusiveness with 24.5 rushing yards per game as an underrated scrambler, though he admittedly does most of his damage from the pocket. A 23-year-old rookie with elite mental makeup, Burrow will be a favorite for Rookie of the Year honors and will be an immediate matchup-based streamer in fantasy. He has a deceptively deep supporting cast. 

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter 

Jul 28, 2020, 12:47 PM ET

I'm excited to see how he does behind a bad OL.  He will have his bumps, but he should be a good one eventually.

Three bold Bengals predictions for 2020: Joe Burrow leads AFC North in one key stat, sets rookie TD record

Excerpt:

1. Burrow leads the AFC North in TD passes, sets rookie record

These are called bold predictions, so I'm going to start as bold as possible: Joe Burrow is going to lead the AFC North in touchdown passes. 

The reason that's bold is because if Burrow is going to lead the division in that stat, he's going to have to throw more TD passes than Lamar Jackson, who LED THE NFL in scoring passes last year when he threw 36 during his MVP season. Also, Burrow will have to outgun Ben Roethlisberger, who threw 34 TD passes in 2018 and who has thrown 29 or more touchdowns in each of the past three times he played 14 or more games in a season. 

If Burrow can somehow top both Jackson and Roethlisberger, that almost certainly means he'll be throwing more than 27 touchdown passes, which is notable, because if he does that, he'll break Baker Mayfield's rookie record for most touchdown passes in a season. Mayfield threw 27 scoring passes in 2018 and he did that even though he only started in 13 games. 

As far as the rookie record goes, Burrow is going to have a huge advantage over Mayfield, and that's because the Bengals quarterback is going to be the starter from Day 1, which means he'll definitely be starting 16 games this season (barring injury). 

The other advantage for Burrow is that he's going to have a lot of weapons. Not only will the Bengals have A.J. Green back on the field, but they also have Tyler Boyd, Tee Higgins, Auden Tate, Alex Erickson and John Ross. 

The biggest upside for Burrow is that he should be able to rack up some big numbers no matter how the Bengals play this year. On one hand, if the Bengals are good, it will likely be because Burrow is having a phenomenal rookie season. On the other hand, if the Bengals are bad, we could see Burrow put up some huge numbers in garbage time, which could help his touchdown total. Remember, Burrow doesn't have to lead the NFL in touchdown passes, just the AFC North, and that seems like something he can do. 

Ben Baby @Ben_Baby

Burrow shows off the wheels and has a good scramble during a goal-line drill
https://twitter.com/ben_baby/status/1296479891861524480?s=21

Geoff Hobson

Burrow sharper today. Third down 7 on 7 period hit 8 of 10. Got picked by Bynes in team, where he also threw great ball to Uzomah for deep sideline completion
https://twitter.com/geoffhobsoncin/status/1296471677069557765?s=21

Tyler Dragon @TheTylerDragon

Joe Burrow went 5/5 in the second portion of 11-on-11. He spread the ball around to Tyler Boyd, Auden Tate and Mike Thomas. #Bengals
https://twitter.com/thetylerdragon/status/1296475422499180550?s=21

Dan Hoard @Dan_Hoard

Today’s Burr-ometer (or is it Burrow-meter?). I unofficially had him going 16-for-20 in 11-on-11 drills including a picture perfect deep ball to DaMarkus Lodge. A couple of drives were against the #2 defense
https://twitter.com/dan_hoard/status/1297946809273286656?s=21

James Rapien @JamesRapien

"He's a beast. He's an absolute beast. He's an animal out there." -  C.J. Uzomah on Joe Burrow.
https://twitter.com/jamesrapien/status/1297947001255010309?s=21

This is going to be fun if they can keep him upright.  With the luck the Bengals have they will be leading the division and looking like contenders and then the season will get cancelled.

Training Camp Buzz: Joe Burrow 'breathes life' into Bengals

Excerpt:

Before the Bengals broke for training camp, coach Zac Taylor said rookie quarterback Joe Burrow was his Week 1 starter. One look at Cincinnati's depth chart combined with Burrow being the top pick in the 2020 draft made that inevitable. Seven of the past eight QBs selected No. 1 overall started the ensuing season opener. The difference with Burrow is he won the job before his first practice. Taylor said Burrow's work the past few weeks has only reaffirmed his decision. "He's got full grasp of our offense. … You want your quarterback to be the hardest worker on the team and an extension of the coaching staff. He fits both those descriptions for us right now. He really breathes life into this offense, into this team. … He's very confident, he's not arrogant. I think the team believes in this guy right now, but again he's earned that in the way that he's gone about his work, the way he operates in the meetings, the way he communicates with his teammates on both sides of the ball. He's filling into that leadership role as well as any young player can do right now." That the LSU product has so quickly established himself in the locker room in the absence of a full offseason is even more impressive. Taylor said he would have probably handled the QB situation differently had team workouts commenced in May rather than August. "We're not going to beat around the bush. We're going to give the guy the reps. I didn't want him to be splitting reps with somebody else and not getting all the work in that he needed to get to be the Week 1 starter. Sometimes you just have to make those decisions and go with it. Again, I haven't looked back. He's done an excellent job. He's been the No. 1 quarterback. We still have work to do these next three weeks, but again we're not going to look again on that decision. … He's done nothing since he's been in the building or on the field to make us second guess any of those decisions, in terms of taking him, or making him the starting quarterback from Day 1."

Users who are viewing this thread