What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Fantasy Football "Problems" (2 Viewers)

I play season long and DFS.

I don't have any problems with season long leagues due to the great apps you guys have.  Starting with the draft dominator before the season starts and in season with the 5 second primer, matchup dominator, and weekly ww report I feel completely covered.

My problem for DFS is that the raw statistics are not available.  I love the trend spotting article and it's the first thing I review for the week for DFS.  The article breaks down some of the trends or whatever that stand out for the week but the content of the article changes each week.  For example, week 15 had these topics: Follow the Targets, How Will They Score?, Now #Trending,  What Have You Done for Me Lately?, and Tempo, Tempo, Tempo - other weeks have different topics - and that's fine for the article.  I'm guessing the time of year matters (fewer data points early in the year), and maybe what stands out for a given week.  But it would be really cool if the data used for that article was available each week.  So the raw data for maybe the 10 topics / stats / whatever that Ryan reviews on a weekly basis could be provided as is, and the article could remain the same with Ryan highlighting whatever he wants for the given week.

If there is a problem, its paralysis by analysis - there may be too much info.  Its like that in the gambling world also.  
Yep this I agree with. One of my best friends and I are in different leagues (his wife is in his league too and very good) and we were talking about this about 2 weeks ago. Both her husband and I overthink our roster. I'm always tinkering with my starters and waivers (Only have made a few trades over the years in the keeper my biggest was trading a first round pick plus 2 other things for Jordy Nelson (in his prime to pair with Rodgers) and Steven Ridley which for a few yrs worked to my advantage and won me multiple games per year including two league titles (Helped that I had Gronk and his buddy Gostowski too). 

However I'm always over analyzing my waiver picks. For example I've missed on 3 guys I could have used this year already plus missed on draft picks and other pick ups. DJ CHark early in the year, McLaurin, Slayton (Which almost burned me two weeks ago playing about the guy who did have him), Not taking Dalvin Cook in the draft, got pick jacked on Nuke, didn't pick up Parker,  should've drafted Nick Chubb too. My issue is I over analyze and need to be one step ahead of people. Seem like I'm one step behind

Not being able to talk to coaches and get them to either showcase or pull players is a problem. That ability would be worth a premium subscription.
Could you imagine trying to tell BB which RB to give the ball too. Remember the game earlier in the season Bolden stole all of Michel's goaline carries and Brady got the sneak TD. Micheal owners would be yelling at BB yo hand it to Micheal there dammit!!!!!

Yep this I agree with. One of my best friends and I are in different leagues (his wife is in his league too and very good) and we were talking about this about 2 weeks ago. Both her husband and I overthink our roster. I'm always tinkering with my starters and waivers (Only have made a few trades over the years in the keeper my biggest was trading a first round pick plus 2 other things for Jordy Nelson (in his prime to pair with Rodgers) and Steven Ridley which for a few yrs worked to my advantage and won me multiple games per year including two league titles (Helped that I had Gronk and his buddy Gostowski too). 

However I'm always over analyzing my waiver picks. For example I've missed on 3 guys I could have used this year already plus missed on draft picks and other pick ups. DJ CHark early in the year, McLaurin, Slayton (Which almost burned me two weeks ago playing about the guy who did have him), Not taking Dalvin Cook in the draft, got pick jacked on Nuke, didn't pick up Parker,  should've drafted Nick Chubb too. My issue is I over analyze and need to be one step ahead of people. Seem like I'm one step behind
I did the same with last week's pickups, ended up passing on Perriman when I had an obvious at WR, cost me a chance at a title.  Live and learn.

Lack of IDP insight. Since Jene left the IDP forum, there is way less detailed discussion. Even in the SP injury thread on game day, no one lists any IDP players. Team defense is such a cheesy scoring format, I felt people were gravitating towards IDP, which is the difference between chess & checkers in my opinion. I wish the attention IDP gets would mirror offensive player content.

Norton does a fantastic job on IDP, but anyone else here, or other sites for that matter, just seem to cut and paste from week one. Often players who have changed position, or lost 3 down roles, or even are injured- are still in the ratings. That kills the credibility of that author to me. He goes on ignore in a sense.
The IDP content has severely dropped off the last few years.  These boards on the IDP section offers much better info that what you get with the paid subscription.  The biggest issue is that it has been more of a regurgitation of what has already happened (sleepers article in particular).  There is very little analysis of why certain players are performing and why other's aren't.  Is has been really disappointing.

Another idea that occurred to me: Incentivize the assistant coach forum. 

I’m not sure how - I’ll leave that up to the galaxy-brains at Footballguys…

but it would certainly make that forum more useful. Right now it’s a hot mess. You’ve got people giving brief snippets in reply & leaving a link to get one for themselves. It’s not very active or useful as a forum.

Sportsline has created an mini app on their league page for WSIS where you click one player or the other - and you can put up your own “WSIS” & track answers - something like that would be far more useful, but without the current format which allows back & forth discussion or insight. 

the problem is that not enough folks offer discussion or insight.

I’ve spent time on the AC forum helping without leaving links - I know a few others do as well, but that’s the exception & not the rule.

surely there must be some way to make it worth people’s time to help others. 

AC is a good idea in concept, but a bit poor in execution. I’d love to see that forum get a makeover to make it more functional for everyone. How to do that is a much deeper dive.  :shrug:
The biggest issue with the AC forum is the majority of answers are one word type answers without any discussion as to why you choose X over Y.....then that is followed up with asking for help with their question.  I try and stay away from the WDIS because it is typically littered with one word answer and no discussion.

Having a separate Wisdom of the Crowds poll section would help serve the WDIS service without needing separate threads.  

1. Problems a DFS Guy has.
    I am not the person to answer this as I am only a casual DFS guy.

2. Problems A Season Long Guy has before his Draft

I think the issue here is the "dilution" of the sleeper so to speak in Fantasy football.  Every on line site at this point has a queue with players at an ADP/Ranked spot that allows the "casual" fan to pick a decent team vs those of us who have been doing it for a while.  I spend a lot of time pre-season on looking where I think all sites are underestimating a player, team, or position group (especially here when looking at FFPC drafts).  Some of the writers that specified particular talents (reception perception by Harmon for instance) who have moved on to make a bigger name for themselves have left a hole here for such analysis.  Being a crucible for "alternative takes" and different data analysis should always be something you strive for.

3. Problems a Season Long Guy has after his Draft.

I think you guys do a good job of this here, my only complaint is speed.  While I understand that production of content takes time, since most waivers run tuesday night, wednesday morning, getting some of the "trendspotting, Gut check" style articles before waivers run would help.  "Exposed" is exceptional and perhaps a "sleepers of the future" would be worthwhile.
Hope this helps.

I personally loved the old Wisdom of Crowds contest. It was incentive based and the final WOC rankings were excellent and always something I considered the most in a WDIS situation.

So the "problem" I would like solved is consensus rankings from someone other than Pros.

I've brought this up in the past when Joe sought out advice/constructive criticism, but I would love to see a work up on WR/CB (or DB) matchups.  It would be a huge undertaking, but I think we all know that CBs are not created equal.  If you have a top 5 CB on one side, and a low-end slot corner and opposite CB, you may have a a"favorable matchup show up for the WRs of the opposing teams.  However, one of those WRs will likely be shutdown or massively .  I'd love to know which one.  Maybe it is too big of an ask, but along with the offensive player analysis, I would love to see something that has a ranking of the CBs, who they are matching, how they have done over the last three weeks, etc.  Basically, couple of the WR analysis with the CB analysis.

You've phrased this as a business question, so I'll give you a business answer. It not be what quite you want to hear, but you asked.

1. Customers want more, faster, and cheaper. We want an advantage over the other guy. We want to think the advantages conferred are concrete, specific, and timely.

I play dynasty IDP. I want commentary and review of every player every week - not just the ones who the writer feels like talking about, or the team he is more familiar with; tell me why my guy only got 1 tackle, not just that he's downgraded for it. Why does it appear the coaching staff didn't like him this week? What can I expect in future weeks? Who should I be planning to pick up this week, next week, for next season. Some of this is covered, but its far from comprehensive. Help me improve my understanding of the players, team dynamics, coaching schemes. Don't give a man a fish, teach him to fish.

We also want that information ASAP. Later in the week is nice, but the timing can be the difference between success and failure. Telling me about waiver adds for the week after my waivers ran is worth less to me. Telling me about dynasty adds for next season after waivers have closed for this season is not particularly valuable. Telling me anything about games of that week, submitted after the Thursday game, greatly reduces its value.

2. Customers want to be treated as if their opinion matters, their money matters, what they've paid for and are expecting matters.

This has been commented on within these boards many times over the years, including a few times by me. My overall impression is that the contributors to FBG do so on a part-time basis, and due to their "day jobs" don't always complete expected content as quickly, or in some weeks at all. That's not showing respect to your customers. If I'm paying for something, I expect to get it. If its not delivered, I'm unhappy, and in many/most instances in life expect a refund, and/or have serious reservations about buying the product again. Apologizing doesn't change anything. If for example your bank accidentally takes money out of your account, doesn't give it back, and then apologizes, you won't be satisfied.

You''ve also taken surveys of this sort in past seasons as already noted, and I believe each and every time get comments about lacking, diminished coverage of dynasty and IDP subjects. But those comments continue season after season, and don't seem to be addressed. Why are you asking us, if you don't have the intention and/or ability to do something to improve? That's more troubling to me than if you hadn't asked in the first place.

Asking for business ideas suggests you are willing to invest in providing new/improved services to clients. Is that the case? If so, why haven't you invested in improving your existing products when you clearly have customers asking you to do so? If you want to charge more for a better product, offer that value proposition, and customers will consider the utility.

Generically, I find the best content covers the whole spectrum of input - process - output.  The film guys tend to be more on the left side, and the stat guys more on the right side.  Before the draft and early season, I think it is best to be more on the input side.  Middle and end of season, you get enough stats to where it is best to be on the output side.    I am finding the podcast format (highly recommend On the Couch) and the "panel" articles are what I currently gravitate to.  

For those looking to decrease the luck factor, add more starting positions and deeper rosters.  More decisions - less luck involved.  Better yet join a dynasty league - you have to live with your decisions for a longer period of time.

Anybody can recommend a waiver guy when then break out.  What would be valuable is recommending adding players a week or so BEFORE they break out.  They are easier to acquire, especially in a FAAB.  Bloom does a good job doing the upgrades/downgrades/waiver report, but I would like a weekly article of players that could break out a week or so in the future, so that I can pick them up cheap before they actually break out.  It won't be perfect, since nobody can truly predict who or when that player will break out, but the better FBG can get with listing potential breakout candidates week or so before they actually break out.......THAT would be awesome.

I just want you to get rid of the popup asking me to get on the email list every time I log on. I've been on it for years, extremely annoying.
I don't know why people subscribe to those emails.  Receiving information about players hours after the news can be found instantaneously on Twitter is worthless.  It was daily clutter in my inbox.  

I've brought this up in the past when Joe sought out advice/constructive criticism, but I would love to see a work up on WR/CB (or DB) matchups.  It would be a huge undertaking, but I think we all know that CBs are not created equal.  If you have a top 5 CB on one side, and a low-end slot corner and opposite CB, you may have a a"favorable matchup show up for the WRs of the opposing teams.  However, one of those WRs will likely be shutdown or massively .  I'd love to know which one.  Maybe it is too big of an ask, but along with the offensive player analysis, I would love to see something that has a ranking of the CBs, who they are matching, how they have done over the last three weeks, etc.  Basically, couple of the WR analysis with the CB analysis.
i agree... this is solely lacking.... case in point is this year a lot of people just assume start your WR's against the stinky redskins... what you miss is quienten dunbar has performed like a shutdown corner... so it would be really helpful to get projected CB/WR matchups... see where WR's have lined up in previous games and where the CB's typically line up..... you can find snippets of this stuff on twitter... it would be nice to see it on this site (and if it is already provided on FBG then shame on me for not knowing that)

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know why people subscribe to those emails.  Receiving information about players hours after the news can be found instantaneously on Twitter is worthless.  It was daily clutter in my inbox.  
I agree on this 100% I still subscribe for whatever reason but I delete them without reading them every day because of this exact reason.

tjnc09 said:
I read the Dodd’s PPR rankings, and almost every week I read @Joe Bryant’s brain dump - some funny memes & always a decent music recommendation.

:shrug:

Joe - thanks for establishing the thread.

I just saw that you guys do not plan on continuing the DFS Interactive Value Chart (IVC) next year since you have adjusted the internet optimizer to produce single line ups.  

I would implore you guys to continue with the IVC - it is an extremely valuable tool and is plenty different enough from the internet tool.  

the IVC is a great "at a glace" tool to see where the values are and to easily pick and choose, drop, replace and generally play with single line ups.  I love getting ideas for line up fill-ins after putting 3 or more players in the model.  Don't get me wrong - I check out the results that the internet optimizer tool gives me (as well as other site optimizers) and use it as input - but I spend the vast majority of my time with the IVC.  

I realize that the internet model can produce similar results - but I don't like the format and it isn't nearly as user-friendly.  

The IVC is one of the top reasons I subscribe.  

Users who are viewing this thread