What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bold Moves - Championship Week Edition (1 Viewer)

PhantomJB

Footballguy
"Fortune favors the bold"  Or so I hear anyway.

What types of bold/contrarian moves are people making this week to secure a championship?

Or is playing it ultra-conservatively (e.g. start my studs even if crummy matchup) going to be your version of contrarian?

All thoughts welcome from strategy to specific player thoughts.

I may start both 
Me too. Depends on Vikings practice reports and DJ Chark practice reports. I also have TY Hilton who I don't think I can trust.

Basically I need to pick a WR2 and flex out of Chark, Kupp, Perriman, Hunt, TY, and Boone and theres a very strong chance I pick the two waiver guys.

I want to see that come Monday morning, somebody is starting M. Boone despite the fact that Cook hasn't been ruled out.

Me too. Depends on Vikings practice reports and DJ Chark practice reports. I also have TY Hilton who I don't think I can trust.

Basically I need to pick a WR2 and flex out of Chark, Kupp, Perriman, Hunt, TY, and Boone and theres a very strong chance I pick the two waiver guys.
Lol, I also have Hilton and just picked up Chark 

my WRs are pretty blah, Evans(IR) TY, J Brown, Perriman, Chark, R Anderson

luckily, I’ve only got pick 2

my flex will come from Boone or Laird(can’t believe I just typed that)

I want to see that come Monday morning, somebody is starting M. Boone despite the fact that Cook hasn't been ruled out.
Cook/Mattison owner and I haven't even picked up Boone bec I can't see starting him unless both are ruled out and I doubt that happens. Plus, Abdullah will get 3rd down work and this could be a game where Vikings are chasing Pack.  Just too complicated to take that risk if you  have other options.

I was going to start a thread on this but maybe it fits here.

This is my first year in a finals on MFL. I had always done home leagues or Yahoo. From what I can tell, after waivers run, I can add guys and drop them and they won't be available for this week.

I have a measly $3 FAAB to his $21. If he wants to add Perriman or Boone or a DST ahead of me, he will. If he's smart he'll use it all up to block me. He likely will. But what if he doesn't?

Is it frowned upon to go add and drop pretty much every usable player? Guys like Boston Scott, Justin Watson, Brandin Cooks, Noah Fant.. everyone. He likely isn't starting any of them anyway. It may just screw over the guys in the 3rd place game who have $0. But practice injuries happen. Drug suspensions, personal problems, etc.

My opponents K is Slye which isn't great (I know, #### kickers) so I could add and drop anyone at that position for sure. Even if it saves me a few points its worth it.

It could all be mute point if everyone races to waivers instantly but if I click fast enough... Lol.

Do other people do this? Is it frowned upon or considered good strategy? 

This is my first year in a finals on MFL. I had always done home leagues or Yahoo. From what I can tell, after waivers run, I can add guys and drop them and they won't be available for this week.

I have a measly $3 FAAB to his $21. If he wants to add Perriman or Boone or a DST ahead of me, he will. If he's smart he'll use it all up to block me. He likely will. But what if he doesn't?

Is it frowned upon to go add and drop pretty much every usable player? Guys like Boston Scott, Justin Watson, Brandin Cooks, Noah Fant.. everyone. He likely isn't starting any of them anyway. It may just screw over the guys in the 3rd place game who have $0. But practice injuries happen. Drug suspensions, personal problems, etc.

My opponents K is Slye which isn't great (I know, #### kickers) so I could add and drop anyone at that position for sure. Even if it saves me a few points its worth it.

It could all be mute point if everyone races to waivers instantly but if I click fast enough... Lol.

I feel like while not illegal in some leagues it's a pretty ####ty move. Also I've seen these things backfire. Watch Slye go out and kick 12 fields goals after you basically force him to play him since he can't start anyone else.

Don't do this. If you're looking for advice.

it is considered good strategy if you are a POS

1.  What's a "Mute Point"?

2.  This is roster churning and is illegal in most leagues.  If your league has a loophole and allows it, it's a di*k move and everyone will hate you for the rest of your years in that league.

IMO it comes down to whether this is a league where transactions are likely to recur with the same guys...for example next year.

If so, then yeah I'm 100% with the other negative views that you're just going to instantly have the reputation as the guy who is out to cutthroat screw everyone else...and you'll have difficulty doing any sort of transactions in the future. So you're basically screwing yourself long-term for a short-term gain.

However, if this is a one-time league playing for money and it's 100% legal then it's a little different story. If your conscience lets you sleep at night afterwards it's like taking advantage of a tax loophole...if you don't do it there's a good chance someone else will until the rule-makers catch on and the loophole closes.

We have a rule in our league that you must hold on to the waiver or FA pick for the weekend.   We also charge $3/move also.

This is why I had Boone 3rd on my priority list for FA moves and didn't get him (my opponent did).  I was concerned we wouldn't have enough information about the backfield before the games start on Saturday/Sunday.

I'm starting Fitzmagic over Tannehill (at least for now).

Perriman over OBJ (but that's not very bold).

I may also be starting one of these guys over OBJ which might be considered bold if OBJ wasn't such a disappointment this year:  P. Laird (he stinks and sucked last week), M. Williams (he has one TD on the year and Rivers is playing poorly), D. Johnson (he's OK but has Duck Dynasty throwing him the ball).

We don’t have a waiver period in my main dynasty league. Once dropped, the player is fair game. 

In leagues with a waiver period, I would say just don’t do that. If you keep everyone you pick up through the championship, then I would say that it is ok to block your opponent, but using the the waiver wait period as an advantage just so they are blocked would be a big no-no.

I managed to pick up both Cook & Perriman for the LCG, and I’m considering Perriman over Cooper (recent struggles, Dak shoulder injury) and Boone over Singletary going (against the #1 Pats defense IF I get word before Sat that Mattison & Cook are out). :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
I managed to pick up both Cook & Perriman for the LCG, and I’m considering Perriman over Cooper (recent struggles, Dak shoulder injury) and Boone over Singletary going (against the #1 Pats defense IF I get word before Sat that Mattison & Cook are out). :unsure:
Yeah I'll be starting Washington and Boone as my rb2 and flex if we get word on Cook out. Imagine saying this at the start of the year LOL. 

IMO it comes down to whether this is a league where transactions are likely to recur with the same guys...for example next year.

If so, then yeah I'm 100% with the other negative views that you're just going to instantly have the reputation as the guy who is out to cutthroat screw everyone else...and you'll have difficulty doing any sort of transactions in the future. So you're basically screwing yourself long-term for a short-term gain.

However, if this is a one-time league playing for money and it's 100% legal then it's a little different story. If your conscience lets you sleep at night afterwards it's like taking advantage of a tax loophole...if you don't do it there's a good chance someone else will until the rule-makers catch on and the loophole closes.
Thanks for the answers guys.

Fair enough. Its for $$$ and just a random online one year league. I'm not worried about hurting some random person's feelings if the league rules allow me to do this. No one uses the message board or chat. One of the only guys offering trades was the guy I'm facing.

The guy is a good manager and I fully expect him to bid $4 on 5 players to block any of my adds anyway. As I said, it probably won't matter.

As someone said, Slye could kick 12 FGs and if that's the case, fine. Any player at any position can have their day and thats why we love this game. It's more a matter of limiting his options and trying to cut down his score by a few points

He's got Lamar so I need all the help I can get. Lol. Maybe it's just bad karma though.

My bold move was before week 13. Traded away Godwin, Fournette and Goedert for Julio,D Adams and Singletary. Lost in week 13 but beat the team I traded with to make the Superbowl by 6 and have healthy receivers.

No

Crap. I might have to start Baker or brisket over Dak 🙁

I’m also starting Hollister over Waller. AZ Def has given up at least 1 TD to a TE in 11 out of 14 games (15total TDs). No other Def is even close!

My bold move was to let my opponent pick up Perriman. I know I am in the minority, but I think he will bust this weekend.

I let my opponent pick up Chark, hoping he starts him over Boyd or Fuller.  Not bold enough to start Boone or Mack over Chubb.

That’s pretty bold  whack
Fixed.

I would never have the nads to sit the leagues leading rusher in favor of a guy for has averaged 3.3 yards/carry this season, and just lost his starting pro bowl right tackle.

However, I do luvs me some contrarian moves in the big dance, so best of luck!

My bold move was to let my opponent pick up Perriman. I know I am in the minority, but I think he will bust this weekend.
That’s bold. He’s the #1 target for a passing game now suddenly starved for receiving weapons going against the 20th ranked pass defense, with Winston gunning for a single season yardage record & a pass-happy coach. Also, it’s not like he came out of nowhere - Perriman has had a few solid games now. It’s just now he has much less competition for the ball. 

i would have picked him up just to block an opponent from getting him. Purposely allowing an opponent to claim Perriman seems like you’re tempting fate a wee much. 

I can see this as possible outcome but the sheer number of passing attempts by Winston has to result in stats right?
Has a chance to break Manning’s single season yardage record this year too. And they can’t run the ball well. And HOU secondary is pretty mediocre at best.

each to their own of course, but I think Perriman has a big day.

Users who are viewing this thread