What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2019 Post Season Subscriber Contest (1 Viewer)

Prices were way off in this contest on NO players.  They had to win 3 games to get to the SB no way they should been the highest price players.  That is the one problem with this contest your at the mercy of the people making the pricing scheme even if it doesn't make sense.

The regular season contest is great but the post season contest is just mostly luck because the odds of you picking enough SB winning players and still advancing each round when you have lots of people out there picking 2 players off each team or something that has no chance of winning makes this contest really just pure luck.

At least regular season one has some skill.

Need to come up with a new post season contest this one isn't very fun at all.  I suspect half the people who played are done right now with NO losing.
Just not true at all that it’s pure luck. It’s very hard and certainly requires things to fall your way, but if you don’t construct your team the right way, able to just slide by in weeks 1 and 2 (or, just week 2 this year), while loading up on the right SB teams, you have no chance at all. You just need to look at the previous winners to see the right strategy.  They didn’t just get lucky.

With NO out I’m done, and that sucks, but I wouldn’t change a thing about this free contest that no one is paying extra for. The only thing I might change is cutting a percentage of teams each week instead of cutting to a specific number of teams. 

Just not true at all that it’s pure luck. It’s very hard and certainly requires things to fall your way, but if you don’t construct your team the right way, able to just slide by in weeks 1 and 2 (or, just week 2 this year), while loading up on the right SB teams, you have no chance at all. You just need to look at the previous winners to see the right strategy.  They didn’t just get lucky.

With NO out I’m done, and that sucks, but I wouldn’t change a thing about this free contest that no one is paying extra for. The only thing I might change is cutting a percentage of teams each week instead of cutting to a specific number of teams. 
:goodposting:

zed2283 said:
What percentage of participants do you think did not consider Week 1 specifics?  You guys have no idea, you're just spouting off.
I honestly think the alternative is actually worse from a game integrity standpoint. 

The reason why I think they should change the cut format is I find it hard to believe that NONE of these entries that somehow knew to take a week1 zero had extra information. FBG is trustworthy imo but people still talk and if someone had any idea the entries had fallen off a cliff it would be pretty easy to turn in a lineup with a great chance to win. 

I actually wish I did believe these 0s came from not knowing the rules. 

Big Saints fan that totally ignored all Saints players almost all week. Decided Friday night late that it would be more fun going for Saints Ravens Super Bowl, so dropped all 49ers and added four Saints. I am out early as I also went with Buffalo’s QB.

despite everybody moving on (or really because I constructed my team based on week one) I have no chance next week.

Good luck to everyone here!

Prices were way off in this contest on NO players.  They had to win 3 games to get to the SB no way they should been the highest price players.  That is the one problem with this contest your at the mercy of the people making the pricing scheme even if it doesn't make sense.

The regular season contest is great but the post season contest is just mostly luck because the odds of you picking enough SB winning players and still advancing each round when you have lots of people out there picking 2 players off each team or something that has no chance of winning makes this contest really just pure luck.

Need to come up with a new post season contest this one isn't very fun at all.  I suspect half the people who played are done right now with NO losing.
The prices for NO made a lot of sense if you felt NO would be a Súper bowl team because you got 3 weeks of them playing and they would theoretically score for you in all the weeks and make it a bit easier to advance each week.

Why they now seems very skewed is because not only did NO lose, but their points didn’t even count in week 1 due to the low amount of entries.

A lot of people will choose 1 of the wild card week teams as a Super Bowl team because they score 4 weeks worth of points from them. So FBG has always made those “favorites to make it far” like NO a very high price.

It has always been hard to pick 2 Super Bowl teams who have byes in week 1 and advance. You need to hedge a good amount. This is why there are usually a lot of entries that have 1 of the Wild Card teams and 1 of the bye teams. People who do pick 2 bye teams usually have to pick a few extra special wild card players and also take less Súper bowl players.

With NO losing just now it has affected a lot of entries (not only because this week didn’t count) but also because those who played as though there would be a cut (and FBG prices reflecting a cut) now lose a lot of money of the $250 due to the low count and also picking a wild card team.

Unlike the regular season contest where every player (or at least an equal amount of highest scoring players) will get points every week, in this contest only 2 players from each team score even if you have 8 of them. This leads to making the weight of each week more valuable and hence why this “no cut line” is a lot worse in the playoff contest where prices reflect cuts each week.

Since there was actually no cut this week, maybe the management at FBG @Joe Bryant and @Doug Drinen who are monitoring the contest can chime in and maybe offer a chance for people who had lineups in before the deadline to get a second chance to build a lineup since we know for sure there will be a cut next week. This allows a redo for everyone since it has now affected a ton of people who might have picked differently. Since no one was officially cut this week it may just work as a solution for this year to resolve the issue.

Since there was actually no cut this week, maybe the management at FBG @Joe Bryant and @Doug Drinen who are monitoring the contest can chime in and maybe offer a chance for people who had lineups in before the deadline to get a second chance to build a lineup since we know for sure there will be a cut next week. This allows a redo for everyone since it has now affected a ton of people who might have picked differently. Since no one was officially cut this week it may just work as a solution for this year to resolve the issue.
:lmao:

N.O. didn't look like the same team from the past month, oh well... that's that for me...

Last edited by a moderator:
The prices for NO made a lot of sense if you felt NO would be a Súper bowl team because you got 3 weeks of them playing and they would theoretically score for you in all the weeks and make it a bit easier to advance each week.

Why they now seems very skewed is because not only did NO lose, but their points didn’t even count in week 1 due to the low amount of entries.

A lot of people will choose 1 of the wild card week teams as a Super Bowl team because they score 4 weeks worth of points from them. So FBG has always made those “favorites to make it far” like NO a very high price.

It has always been hard to pick 2 Super Bowl teams who have byes in week 1 and advance. You need to hedge a good amount. This is why there are usually a lot of entries that have 1 of the Wild Card teams and 1 of the bye teams. People who do pick 2 bye teams usually have to pick a few extra special wild card players and also take less Súper bowl players.

With NO losing just now it has affected a lot of entries (not only because this week didn’t count) but also because those who played as though there would be a cut (and FBG prices reflecting a cut) now lose a lot of money of the $250 due to the low count and also picking a wild card team.

Unlike the regular season contest where every player (or at least an equal amount of highest scoring players) will get points every week, in this contest only 2 players from each team score even if you have 8 of them. This leads to making the weight of each week more valuable and hence why this “no cut line” is a lot worse in the playoff contest where prices reflect cuts each week.

That wouldn’t be fair to the people who did their homework and anticipated a reduction in entries 

Post season contest is much less luck. At least 50% of the entries don’t read the rules.  If the prize structure was the same as the regular season contest I would buy 10 subscriptions a year and make money over time. 

Went with a GB BAL super bowl. Took SEA and TEN players to help me get through the first two weeks. NE losing in the wild card round was priceless. Already feel like a winner.  Good luck with your entries!

Ryan Tannehill $14 0.00

Derrick Henry $15 0.00

A.J. Brown $13 0.00

Lamar Jackson $40 0.00

Mark Ingram $25 0.00

Marquise Brown $17 0.00

Justin Tucker $13 0.00

Russell Wilson $26 0.00

DK Metcalf $15 0.00

Aaron Rodgers $20 0.00

Aaron Jones $23 0.00

Jamaal Williams $8 0.00

Davante Adams $21 0.00

You guys PO’d about the cutoff, what do you think will happen next year? 3000 or 6000 entries. Call it.

If it were a NO/SEA superbowl, this entry would have won hands down. 

obxlegends

This entry is still alive. 18 -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Derrick Henry $15 0.00

Russell Wilson $26 0.00 Travis Homer $9 0.00 Tyler Lockett $18 0.00 David Moore $5 0.00 Jaron Brown $2 0.00 Luke Willson $2 0.00 Jason Myers $11 0.00 Seattle Seahawks $11 0.00

Mike Boone $3 0.00

Drew Brees $38 0.00 Taysom Hill $8 0.00 Alvin Kamara $29 0.00 Michael Thomas $34 0.00 Josh Hill $6 0.00 Wil Lutz $14 0.00 New Orleans Saints $12 0.00

Geronimo Allison $3 0.00 Marquez Valdes-Scantling $2 0.00 Jake Kumerow $2 0.00

Glancing through entries, I see a bunch of people hanging their hats on KC.  Will be interesting to see which teams were the most popular. 

They would definitely be even more of the darlings than they already are if their prices were lower. They had the best chance to run all the way through from week one.

Sorry. No changes. We are sticking right to the rules. 

That's funny, because you just described the skill.

I was questioning myself thinking I was missing some deep sarcasm, but then I saw the word "your".

This is the right decision.  You can't change the rules after they are set and teams are accepted.  Next year, however, it would be wise to make the cuts a percentage versus a hard number.

Hey Joe I dont subscribe to changing anything as  long as everybody was working  with the same information.  My question is of the  people  who new before the deadline that it  was likely to come in significantly under the number of entries as previous years, were those people asked if they told anybody ?   I guess what im saying is how sure  are you that there arent people eligible for prizes that knew this info before the cutoff who could use this info to craft a lineup which would be much more likely to win  if they hit the 2 superbowl teams.  My entry would have been SIGNIFICANTLY  different with that information ( as would Im sure many many others)   Enquiring minds wanna know how sure you are at this point that you are that nobody had early information  that would require their entry or entries to become invalid and make the contest as fair  for everybody as possible.    

Hey Joe I dont subscribe to changing anything as  long as everybody was working  with the same information.  My question is of the  people  who new before the deadline that it  was likely to come in significantly under the number of entries as previous years, were those people asked if they told anybody ?   I guess what im saying is how sure  are you that there arent people eligible for prizes that new this info before the cutoff who could use this info to craft a lineup which would be much more likely to win  if they hit the 2 superbowl teams.  My entry would have been SIGNIFICANTLY  different with that information ( as would Im sure many many others)   Enquiring minds wanna know how sure you are at this point that you are that nobody had early information  that would require their entry or entries to become invalid and make the contest as fair  for everybody as possible.    
The contest opens and then it closes at the deadline. It's that simple. And we have to stick to the rules. Good luck everyone. 

Lost some big bucks on NO.  Going into week 2 with:

KC - Mahomes, Hill, Hardman, Robinson, Kelce ($96)

SEA - Wilson, Homer ($35)

TEN - Henry ($15)

BAL - Edwards, Hill ($12)

GB - MVS, Graham ($8)

HOU - Fells ($6)

This lineup still has a shot, but KC must be a SB team.

The contest opens and then it closes at the deadline. It's that simple. And we have to stick to the rules. Good luck everyone. 
% vs hard number next year?  At this point, it wouldn't shock me if there are anywhere from 2-8K entries.

So no FBG employees knows anything about the number of current entries before the contest closes?   If thats the case then alls fair in  love,war, and the FBG post season contest. 

So no FBG employees knows anything about the number of current entries before the contest closes?   If thats the case then alls fair in  love,war, and the FBG post season contest. 
I seriously doubt any of the non-employee participants had any knowledge that there would be no cuts after week 1, nor has anyone implied that they did.  The number of entries that came in was under the first cut and that's it.  Let's not make a bigger deal of it than what it is, and be grateful that FBG provides fun regular season and post-season contests for us.

% vs hard number next year?  At this point, it wouldn't shock me if there are anywhere from 2-8K entries.
No decision now for next year. 

I'm always amazed at how many people don't take advantage of the entry that's available to them. So weird. 

We're literally giving away thousands of dollars and people have bought a premium subscription and can enter for free and just don't. So odd to me. 

I seriously doubt any of the non-employee participants had any knowledge that there would be no cuts after week 1, nor has anyone implied that they did.  The number of entries that came in was under the first cut and that's it.  Let's not make a bigger deal of it than what it is, and be grateful that FBG provides fun regular season and post-season contests for us.
We now agree.  This contest has a short turnaround from open to close.  Who's to say 4K more people weren't just waiting til the last minute to submit?  The fact is there were only 3K entries, but I am curious as to why the drop was so extreme after 3 straight years above 6K?

I'm always amazed at how many people don't take advantage of the entry that's available to them. So weird. 

We're literally giving away thousands of dollars and people have bought a premium subscription and can enter for free and just don't. So odd to me. 
As someone mentioned earlier, it might have been buried under the FPPC (or whatever it's called) emails.  The only reason I was reminded of it was because of this thread.

Free contests with $$ prizes?  Sign me up every time.

Last question - when the week 18 results get posted, will there be a contest querier link attached, similar to the season long contest?  I wanna see my chances of scoring in a KC/SEA SB.

As someone mentioned earlier, it might have been buried under the FPPC (or whatever it's called) emails.  The only reason I was reminded of it was because of this thread.
It's called out each day in the Daily Email Update which is the primary way we communicate with our Customers. 

Just super interesting. We give the prize money regardless of how many enter. And I get it that it's better for you folks if fewer people enter. It's just sort of discouraging to give away that much money and so few people be interested or appreciate it. Oh well. 

It's called out each day in the Daily Email Update which is the primary way we communicate with our Customers. 

Just super interesting. We give the prize money regardless of how many enter. And I get it that it's better for you folks if fewer people enter. It's just sort of discouraging to give away that much money and so few people be interested or appreciate it. Oh well. 
Curious as to what you attribute the drop in entries to? That's a huge dropoff from previous years. I can see falling over the New Year as a factor but not that much.

Honestly, I haven't read one since my week 16 championships were over.  Maybe that has something to do with it.

The only one I remember specifically being for a post-season contest was the FPPC one you had to pay for.

Until the link to the contest became active, I only saw the link to the FBG playoff challenge, which for awhile I assumed was the same thing. It was only because I reached out to you to clarify that I found out they were two unique tourneys and we were just waiting for it to go live. If I hadn't taken that initiative I never would have looked for it again. 

I am very grateful for both subscription contests. I just think the possibility of advancing past the 1st round in this manner is absurd. But I also highly doubt anyone really anticipated it based on past entries. Thanks for everything you and the staff does, Joe. Just hoping to make it better next year. 

Calcomatic is now loaded with the entries for the playoff contest.  Please let me know if you find anything wrong - for example I noticed that E. Sanders was still listed as a DEN WR instead of SF.  That's not a problem for the regular season but would be for the playoff contest because only 2 player per NFL team count until the super bowl.

Also, of interest - only 7 teams scored zero points this week and 2 of them are clearly a "bad" entry due to having only 2 NFL teams.  I don't have a querier but you can use the standings page to few the 7 teams with a zero at this point.

It looks like Calcomatic is only giving TEs 1 PPR instead of 1.5. (e.g. Dawson Knox 1/14/0 has 2.4 points.)

Thanx @Steeler for the awesome calcomatic!

Overall, the scores seem quite in line with last year.  Proportionally, there are actually less teams this year with no week 1 players.  Even though a few players scored very well, the average team score was only 18, and no team scored over 26.  Compared to Wildcard weekend from last year, the overall points scored was only different by 1 point (146 this year, 145 last year).  There were 163 more offensive yards this year versus last.  So if you are wondering what a normal cutoff would have been with 6800 entries, I would guess right about the same as last year - 79.

Guessing the cut for week 2 will be much harder.  All teams are still in it, so those who went top seed heavy may increase last year's 126, but on the flip side, Thomas, Brees, and Kamara were a very expensive trio, and were the 1st (63%), 2nd (59%), and 6th (37%) most common players.

I am looking forward to playing around with the contest querier when it becomes available.  Good luck to all in week 2.

Getting to play more games is better, not worse.  That's why they were more expensive.  It's not Dodds's fault the Saints lost.  

with a drop-off that big,  I doubt it was a sudden lack of interest.  Many of my football guys e-mails end up in my junk folder despite some rudimentary attempts to fix the issue.  I din't worry about it cause I knew where they were and attributed it to the number of links in the e-mail causing them to get filtered.  This could happen to others too.  Or maybe I'm just dumb.  

I understand not changing the rules at this point but some teams should be eliminated.  I think it safe to say that any team that only picked bye week players should not advance.  A zero score shouldn't advance under any circumstances. 

I understand not changing the rules at this point but some teams should be eliminated.  I think it safe to say that any team that only picked bye week players should not advance.  A zero score shouldn't advance under any circumstances. 
They 100% could not and should not do this or anything like it.  This isn't the first time there have been fewer entries than the week 1 cutoff.  It's a known feature of the contest, can't be changing the rules just because they got fewer entries than everyone expected this year.  

I'm lucky that the number of entries was so low. My three highest priced wild card round players were Carson Wentz, Ryan Tannehill, and Travis Homer, and they combined to score 12 points. I scored 41.75 on the week, which is about halfway between where I thought the cutline would be and what it actually ended up being. On to the divisional round!

Users who are viewing this thread