What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Najee Harris, PIT (1 Viewer)

I have the 1.1 in a non-ppr and the 1.2 in a ppr.

The decision is made in the former and I'll be fretting for five months in the latter.

Alabama senior RB Najee Harris handled 22 carries for 79 yards and two touchdowns while catching seven passes for 79 yards and a touchdown in Monday's 52-24 win over Ohio State in the CFP National Championship presented by AT&T.

As was the case for a few ‘Bama players on Monday night, Harris made history. Harris’ 30 touchdowns on the season broke the SEC (and, in turn, Alabama) records for most touchdowns from a non-QB in a season. Per usual, Harris stunted on Ohio State’s defense with both stunning mobility for his size as well as the daunting strength expected of a 6-foot-2, 230-pounder. Harris never ripped off a homerun on the ground, but the Buckeyes defense were in loaded boxes all game and paid elsewhere for stopping Harris on the ground considering all they gave up through the air, including from Harris himself. 

SOURCE: John Garcia on Twitter

Jan 12, 2021, 12:04 AM ET

I have the 1.1 in a non-ppr and the 1.2 in a ppr.

The decision is made in the former and I'll be fretting for five months in the latter.
Won 1.1 in two leagues draft playoffs. Najee has played two games since I knew I won 1.1 and I've pretty much been watching those games with the mindset that I'm watching my new player to those teams. Landing spot matters of course so I'm not running to the virtual podium right now but it's going to take a lot to knock him off that perch.

For dynasty PPR league, which RB would you take at 1.01 in rookie draft?  Harris or Etienne (without knowing what team he goes to)?

For dynasty PPR league, which RB would you take at 1.01 in rookie draft?  Harris or Etienne (without knowing what team he goes to)?
That is the debate that will go back and forth for awhile.  Both are capable receivers, so the added value in the receiving game depends mostly on the teams that draft them.  Najee Harris is the better pure runner; he is a rare blend of power, vision and speed.  Etienne, on the other hand, is capable of ripping off a big play any time he touches the ball; he has more speed, agility and explosiveness.  I would personally be happy with either.  I think you are really splitting hairs to rank one ahead of the other.

100% Harris for me...he's not only a three down back but he's very big man who runs extremely hard...during the Ohio State game some of his best runs were small gains where his footwork was fantastic.

Last edited by a moderator:
100% Harris for me...he's just not a three down back but he's very big man who runs extremely hard...during the Ohio State game some of his best runs were small gains where his footwork was fantastic.
Just curious, what do you not see Harris as a three down back? I am impressed with his receiving skills, does he struggle in pass pro?

But speaking of that, I think I saw on Twitter last night that Najee had taken no snaps on third down this year. Am I dreaming? Tom Kislingbury, who I follow, had tweeted something like that.

But speaking of that, I think I saw on Twitter last night that Najee had taken no snaps on third down this year. Am I dreaming? Tom Kislingbury, who I follow, had tweeted something like that.
Either dreaming or got bad info. He's very much an everydown back.

Now maybe what that Tom Kisinglbury meant was that Alabama almost never has a third down.

I had said in the post above this as of now Harris is my guy at 1.1, landing spot matters, I can certainly see Etieene or Jovante at least being in consideration and maybe more. I can certainly recall RB's over the years that this time of year were not in a lot of people's top 5 or even sometimes top 10 RB's that emerge as 1.1 candidates.

But in Harris I see that 3 down back, that big back with pass catching skills. He's in the Forte, Bell, SJAX mold to me. He feels safe. He's not perfect. He probably won't run real fast. I think what I like the least is he'll be 23 and not because of breakout age forecasting his career.  It's just a bit older for 1.1 then I'd like. In a perfect world you draft these RB's at 21-22, use him up for 3-4 year and deal before age or wear and tear fall.  Put another way when Swift and Taylor are entering their third seasons they'll be as old as Harris is entering his rookie year. It's a drawback for me for sure.

Etienne's suddenness and athleticism is exciting to see. His potential is pretty high but the my main hangup on him is I'm not sure if he's not more of a RBBC guy or RBBC+ Just not sure he's an everydown back. That's not as important if he lands on a team that likes to heavily put their RB's in space of feature them in the passing game but that's why these rankings can change post draft. His power or ability to be an every down back are main drawbacks, age not as bad as Harris but a huge difference either as I think they are only 9 months apart.

Either dreaming or got bad info. He's very much an everydown back.

Now maybe what that Tom Kisinglbury meant was that Alabama almost never has a third down.
Yeah, I thought it was sarcasm and then thought it was dreaming. Or I could have read it wrong. He had five touchdowns on third down this year. And I checked his feed. He had written nothing of the sort. Oh my. What was I looking at and thinking?

I think what I like the least is he'll be 23 and not because of breakout age forecasting his career.  It's just a bit older for 1.1 then I'd like. In a perfect world you draft these RB's at 21-22, use him up for 3-4 year and deal before age or wear and tear fall.  Put another way when Swift and Taylor are entering their third seasons they'll be as old as Harris is entering his rookie year. It's a drawback for me for sure.
Normally I'd agree with this but I would explain this away by him only being a two year starter. So he still only has the usage of a guy that is 21 or so.

Najee’s age is a concern. He’s had less carries, but he broke out late.  Yeah he had good backfield mates, but breaking out late is a concern. He is more than two years older than Javonte, so Najee has to have a noticeably better rookie season to maintain the dynasty value edge consensus has him currently pegged at

Najee’s age is a concern. He’s had less carries, but he broke out late.  Yeah he had good backfield mates, but breaking out late is a concern. He is more than two years older than Javonte, so Najee has to have a noticeably better rookie season to maintain the dynasty value edge consensus has him currently pegged at
He was great last year as well.  He just shared more

He was great last year as well.  He just shared more
I think this year's version of Najee was different. His pass catching, jump cuts, and open field juice weren't there before. Not like this. And he added them without the other attributes of his game (vision, balance, and finish) suffering. That's the subtle difference between a lead back and a good back and that line is thin in our game.

His age can't be dismissed, but I think it's important to distinguish the type of player he was in 2019 v 2020. They weren't the same. 

People say things like this every season and every season I'll point out how that rule can't apply to these factory schools like Alabama, Ohio State, et. al. where they just line up talent year after year and players have to wait their turn or be worked into committees with their other heavily recruited studs.

People say things like this every season and every season I'll point out how that rule can't apply to these factory schools like Alabama, Ohio State, et. al. where they just line up talent year after year and players have to wait their turn or be worked into committees with their other heavily recruited studs.
There are 4 factory RB's that have been drafted in the first 2 rounds in the last 5 years. Zeke broke out as a sophomore at age 19. Derrick Henry did it as a junior age 21. JK Dobbins as a true freshman at age 18. Josh Jacobs as a junior age 20. Those last 2 are actually younger than Najee right now.

Your blanket statement is not wrong, but it's application to Najee is misleading.

Fully agree...his first two years he shared with Jacobs and Harris so there really doesn't need to be another explanation...also, last year he went for 1,224-5.9-13 rushing and 27-236-7 receiving so I think using the term breakout to apply to this year is not true (and being in a RBBC his sophomore year he was 783-6.7-4 so it's not like he was riding pine)...this year he took his game to another level and became far more refined which is different than breaking out...also, he was the #1 RB recruit in the nation so this is not a guy who came out of nowhere...IMO the fact he came back for his senior year was a big plus for him because he is now entering the NFL as a far more complete RB than he was.

There are 4 factory RB's that have been drafted in the first 2 rounds in the last 5 years. Zeke broke out as a sophomore at age 19. Derrick Henry did it as a junior age 21. JK Dobbins as a true freshman at age 18. Josh Jacobs as a junior age 20. Those last 2 are actually younger than Najee right now.

Your blanket statement is not wrong, but it's application to Najee is misleading.
Not really - not to mention, he really broke-out last season not this season. I do think his current age needs to be considered since RBs have shorter shelf lives but how was he really supposed to breakout when Jacobs and the other Harris were still in the mix? They weren't slouches.

I'm curious (but not enough to do it myself) what the names were of the guys they started ahead of. Were they any good?

Edit: I lied. I was curious enough. The OSU RB roster was bad when Zeke won the role. Dobbins started over...yawn...Mike Weber. And like has been mentioned, Harris broke out last year - the same age as Henry.

Not really - not to mention, he really broke-out last season not this season. I do think his current age needs to be considered since RBs have shorter shelf lives but how was he really supposed to breakout when Jacobs and the other Harris were still in the mix? They weren't slouches.
We don't agree about 2019.

I think this year's version of Najee was different. His pass catching, jump cuts, and open field juice weren't there before. Not like this. And he added them without the other attributes of his game (vision, balance, and finish) suffering. That's the subtle difference between a lead back and a good back and that line is thin in our game.

His age can't be dismissed, but I think it's important to distinguish the type of player he was in 2019 v 2020. They weren't the same. 
I think he was a good, productive RB in 2019. I do not think he was the head-turner that he was this year.

Najee and Josh Jacobs are identical age, so why was it Jacobs got work and Najee had to wait until the rest of his class had moved on? 

Najee and Josh Jacobs are identical age, so why was it Jacobs got work and Najee had to wait until the rest of his class had moved on? 
Ummmm... Jacobs not getting a huge share of the backfield was a knock on him that was repeated over and over on these boards.

I'm curious (but not enough to do it myself) what the names were of the guys they started ahead of. Were they any good?
2014 Bama - Yeldon-Henry

2015 Bama - Henry---------Drake

2016 Bama - D Harris-Scarborough-Jacobs

2017 Bama - D Harris-Scarborough-N Harris-Jacobs

2018 Bama - D Harris-Jacobs-N Harris

2019 and 2020 Bama - N Harris----B Robinson

2014 Ohio St - Zeke-C Samuel

2015 Ohio St - Zeke only (C Samuel shifted to WR)

2016 Ohio St - Weber-C Samuel (workload increased with Zeke gone)

2017 Ohio St - Dobbins-Weber

2018 Ohio St - Dobbins-Weber

2019 Ohio St - Dobbins-Teague

2020 Ohio St - Sermon-Teague

The last year they played together here are the rushing totals:

117-783-4 for Najee

120-640-11 for Jacobs

150-876-9 for Damien Harris

The last year they played together here are the rushing totals:

117-783-4 for Najee

120-640-11 for Jacobs

150-876-9 for Damien Harris
Interesting. I didn't realize that was the 2018 split. He must really not want that juicy 2nd RB contract

Interesting. I didn't realize that was the 2018 split. He must really not want that juicy 2nd RB contract
I didn't understand his decision to return at the time, but he bet on himself and was right. He was likely a 3rd round pick had he declared last season. Now he may get drafted round 1.

I didn't understand his decision to return at the time, but he bet on himself and was right. He was likely a 3rd round pick had he declared last season. Now he may get drafted round 1.
Najee did make himself more money on his rookie contract. Career wise money, it's debatable. What was puzzling was Etienne going back and going from a borderline 1st/2nd rounder to... a borderline 1st/2nd rounder. Chuba going back was a mistake. Bryce Love says hi. Going back is a gamble, but Najee definitely made himself more 1st contract money.

Edgar said:
Najee did make himself more money on his rookie contract. Career wise money, it's debatable. What was puzzling was Etienne going back and going from a borderline 1st/2nd rounder to... a borderline 1st/2nd rounder. Chuba going back was a mistake. Bryce Love says hi. Going back is a gamble, but Najee definitely made himself more 1st contract money.
Agree with all that you wrote but  we are probably going to hear a lot these next few months about the "great" decision Najee made so I absolutely appreciate you pointing out the difference between making himself more on his rookie contract vs his career.

To many variables to know right now, starting with were he goes this year, but my guess is he'll end up losing money, maybe a lot.

Now imagine him in Atlanta.
The Falcons have the third pick in the second round...whether they pick there or trade up a few spots I would not be surprised at all if Harris, Etienne or Williams ends up there and gets the fantasy community very excited about their potential.

MAC_32 said:

I haven't watched any of his 2020 games yet so maybe he has improved a lot from what I saw of him in 2018-19 where I did not think he demonstrated more skill and abilities than Damien Harris who was a 3rd round pick. Now he is being talked about as the best RB of the 2021 class?

Thats a huge leap in my opinion but I will try to keep an open mind about it when I watch his 2020 games.

I haven't watched any of his 2020 games yet so maybe he has improved a lot from what I saw of him in 2018-19 where I did not think he demonstrated more skill and abilities than Damien Harris who was a 3rd round pick. Now he is being talked about as the best RB of the 2021 class?

Thats a huge leap in my opinion but I will try to keep an open mind about it when I watch his 2020 games.
Hes a nice player but yeah you got him pegged correctly I think

The breakout is legitimate. His breakout age is also legitimate. Both need to be considered when it's time to draft. 

Hes a nice player but yeah you got him pegged correctly I think
Well after I watch some 2020 games maybe I will agree with MAC32 about his improvement. I am not sure yet.

I don't mean to slight Najaee Harris by comparing him to Damien Harris who I do think is a good RB. They both are. I just dont know about 1st round pick good. That would be something I have not seen yet.

Users who are viewing this thread