What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Henry Ruggs III (1 Viewer)

On his latest 32-player big board, Bleacher Report's Matt Miller ranked Alabama junior WR Henry Ruggs as the No. 8 draft-eligible prospect for the spring.

Ruggs (6'0/190) slots in as Miller's second-highest ranked receiver, trailing only Jerry Jeudy (No. 2 overall). This season, the junior speedster has put together a 26-513-6 receiving line in eight games. There's no doubting Ruggs' speed -- he could set the 40-yard dash record if he runs at the combine -- but in a loaded class of receivers, we have our questions on his game as a whole. Ruggs lacks for the well-rounded game of a Jeudy or CeeDee Lamb and does not play with the rugged physicality of either Laviska Shenault or Tee Higgins. Ruggs may well end up landing as a Day 1 prospect, but we'd feel far more comfortable with him on Day 2. Miller, it should be noted, is not the only analyst who lands Ruggs at No. 8 -- ESPN's Mel Kiper does likewise on his own most recent Big Board.

SOURCE: Bleacher Report

Nov 6, 2019, 2:28 PM ET

Alabama junior WR Henry Ruggs was named by Mike Farrell of Rivals.com as the 43rd best player in college football.

Ruggs (6'0/190) was singled-out for his explosive speed and ability to turn short passes into big gains. Ruggs consistently separates from defenders and is expected to light up the combine with his 40-yard dash time. Ruggs has caught 17 passes for 361 yards and four touchdowns, while also taking the one carry he has received 75 yards for a touchdown. Alabama travels to face Texas A&M this Saturday in a SEC West showdown.

SOURCE: Rivals.com

Oct 7, 2019, 10:33 PM ET

The Athletic's Dane Brugler writes that Alabama junior WR Henry Ruggs "us[es] his long-speed to destroy pursuit angles and out-race the defense."

While Brugler loves Ruggs' speed -- we all love Ruggs' speed -- he would like to see the wideout continue to hone his technique on routes. The analyst notes that the 6-foot, 183-pound junior "lacks polish" and "must use better synchronization from his feet to his hips and his head to drive defenders off the route or snap off patterns." Ruggs is not outside the realm of possibility for a Day 1 selection, but he is far more athlete than wideout when compared to a technician like Jerry Jeudy. If Ruggs can show consistent improvements in some of the more subtle aspects of the game this fall, look out. He possesses intriguing upside.

SOURCE: The Athletic

Jul 24, 2019, 4:56 PM ET

Alabama junior WR Henry Ruggs is "widely considered the most competitive kid in the program by people in the building."

This quote comes from Senior Bowl director Jim Nagy, who is as plugged in as they come. Ruggs (6'0/183) reportedly will do well in the pre-draft process, especially since he has verified 4.3 speed. One of the most explosive athletes in the country, Ruggs averaged 16.1 yards per catch last year, primarily operating as an outside receiver. However, NFL Media's Daniel Jeremiah believes Ruggs can play both outside and in the slot. Consider Ruggs a Day 2 prospect with a chance to break into the first round.

SOURCE: Jim Nagy on Twitter

Jul 13, 2019, 4:07 PM ET

According to Bruce Feldman of The Athletic, a pro scout said that Alabama junior WR Henry ran the 40 in the 4.2 second range at the team's Junior Day in the spring.

While Jerry Jeudy receives a lot of attention for his exploits, which is certainly understandable, Ruggs is no slouch himself. While primarily used on the outside in 2018 the junior wideout was also targeted 21 times in the slot per Pro Football Focus. The speed that Ruggs possesses can force mismatches anywhere on the field, and could lead to his being an even bigger factor for Alabama this fall. He averaged 16.1 yards per catch in 2018, posting a stat line of 46-741-11 for the reigning SEC champions.

SOURCE: The Athletic

Jul 11, 2019, 11:24 AM ET

Alabama junior WR Henry Ruggs can play in the slot or outside, according to NFL Media's Daniel Jeremiah.

Alabama used Ruggs primarily on the outside last year, but he did see 121 slot snaps. While lined up in the slot, Ruggs averaged 10 yards on his 21 targets according to Pro Football Focus. His speed will allow him to play wherever because he's a yards after catch machine on underneath routes and can beat safeties over the top as well. Ruggs is a Day 2 prospect with an outside shot of climbing into Round 1.

SOURCE: Daniel Jeremiah on Twitter

Jul 1, 2019, 9:50 PM ET

247 Sports' Chris Crawford listed Alabama junior WR Henry Ruggs as the fourth-fastest player in college football.

Ruggs recorded a 4.25s 40-yard dash at Alabama's junior Pro Day earlier this offseason, an impressive mark even if it was hand-timed. Crawford also noted "at Montgomery (Ala.) Lee High, Ruggs broke the Class 7A 100-meter dash record with a 10.58 in the state championship." Ruggs mostly lined up in the slot last season for Alabama, averaging 16.1 yards per reception. Ruggs will likely declare for the 2019 NFL Draft after this season and has a good chance of breaking 4.30s in the 40-yard dash at the NFL Scouting Combine.

SOURCE: 247 Sports

Jun 2, 2019, 1:55 PM ET

Per Pro Football Focus, Alabama junior WR Henry Ruggs contributed a 142.7 passer rating when targeted in 2018.

This impressive mark ranks 3rd among returning wide receivers. The speedy wideout reportedly ran a 4.25 40-yard dash at Alabama's junior Pro Day this spring, matching up well with what we saw on the field last season. He averaged 16.1 yards per reception and scored 11 touchdowns in 14 games. He figures to be a massive part of the Alabama offense in 2019 before declaring for the NFL Draft.

SOURCE: Pro Football Focus on Twitter

May 11, 2019, 2:31 PM ET

Bleacher Report's Matt Miller calls Alabama junior WR Henry Ruggs the best slot receiver prospect.

Ruggs' speed -- he might run sub-4.30 at the combine --, savviness, and youth make Ruggs a high-end slot prospect. As a sophomore in 2018, Ruggs (6'0/183) scored 11 touchdowns in 14 games while averaging 16.1 yards per reception, which is an absurd YPR for a slot receiver. In addition to Ruggs, the Crimson Tide have Miller's best overall wide receiver prospect along with Devonta Smith and Jaylen Waddle. It must be fun to be Tua Tagovailoa.

SOURCE: Bleacher Report

May 10, 2019, 10:02 PM ET

Alabama junior WR Henry Ruggs is working through the concussion protocol.

Ruggs (6'0/190) hit his head on the turf at one point during Wednesday's Citrus Bowl win over Michigan. While tangibly this wouldn't seem to matter -- the season is over for Alabama -- good to see that the team is still running him through his proper battery of tests, regardless.

SOURCE: Brett Hudson on Twitter

Jan 1, 2020, 5:43 PM ET

Speed sure, and I think he's more well rounded than a guy like Marquise Brown.  Maybe it's hard for him to stand out on film when I see the other WR's on the same play beat their guy while Ruggs is left without the ball.  Not entirely sure.  But that's what these next couple months are for, figuring him (and other's) out.  

Ruggs seems like a guy that I want my FF QB throwing to but don't want him on my FF team. You know the type, shows up big for some games and then zeros out in others.

Alabama junior WR Henry Ruggs has declared for the 2020 NFL Draft.

Ruggs (6'0/190) was one of the last Alabama dominoes to fall and has opted to take his talents to the pros a year early. While we won't know for sure until the NFL Combine, Ruggs may be the fastest WR in the class and plays with ridiculous breakaway ability once the ball is in his hands. He may not be as complete as other receivers, but his play making ability is rare. Ruggs is expected to be a first-round pick.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Jan 6, 2020, 5:06 PM ET

Great comparison.  Maybe bigger, faster but less polished TY... And even worse run blocker? :)
Thanks.

I don't really follow CFB these days and mainly catch up after the draft, but I'm still in one devy league and Ruggs was my pick this year, so I've kept tabs on him. A lot of people compare him to Tyreek because of his speed, but I think there are some differences there. Tyreek is stronger, more compact, shiftier, and more physical. Tyreek has a little bit of a RB/scat back in his DNA still even though he only plays WR these days. Ruggs is a little bit leaner and more of a classic pure deep threat. However, he's not just a fast guy. He has shown some nice route running and plucking ability with his hands.

That's why I lean towards Hilton as the comparison. Neither guy offers much in terms of strength or physicality. They win with speed and explosiveness. The team that drafts Ruggs will be aware of that. They're not going to try to use him like he's Anquan Boldin. They're going to turn him loose and let his speed open up the field.

Thanks.

I don't really follow CFB these days and mainly catch up after the draft, but I'm still in one devy league and Ruggs was my pick this year, so I've kept tabs on him. A lot of people compare him to Tyreek because of his speed, but I think there are some differences there. Tyreek is stronger, more compact, shiftier, and more physical. Tyreek has a little bit of a RB/scat back in his DNA still even though he only plays WR these days. Ruggs is a little bit leaner and more of a classic pure deep threat. However, he's not just a fast guy. He has shown some nice route running and plucking ability with his hands.

That's why I lean towards Hilton as the comparison. Neither guy offers much in terms of strength or physicality. They win with speed and explosiveness. The team that drafts Ruggs will be aware of that. They're not going to try to use him like he's Anquan Boldin. They're going to turn him loose and let his speed open up the field.
I worry about his route running to some degree, but more importantly his ability to separate at the line of scrimmage against press coverage  with big physical corners.  

I'm always lower on these types of guys in fantasy terms than the masses.  Marquise Brown, Mecole Hardman, as recent examples.  I don't see much difference between him and Mecole though.  "Meh" kind of prospect that got better over their college days, all while improving on subtleties to their games.  Overshadowed non-the-less.  The only reason people talked Mecole up last year was after the draft when he was a surprise early pick and going to the Chiefs.  Still produced as a rookie and impressed at times.  It'll take a good landing spot, smart coach to utilize Ruggs well.  

TY Hilton, like EBF said is a good comp, but Hilton and Tyreek Hill are the only deep threats to really have long lasting success at the top of fantasy score boards lately.  I don't think his game is well rounded enough to elevate the label of "deep threat".  That's why Ruggs won't be in my top10 rookies list.  

I'd like to see the Raiders look at him with one of their 1sts -- mostly because Jeudy and Lamb are likely to be far gone before the Raiders pick, and they need a WR.

Not saying Riggs is that WR that can step in and be a clear NFL WR1 -- but he has great skills and speed and who knows, maybe he can develop into the next Hilton/Hill. 

He was part of a receiver trio that had an outside shot of all going in the first round (4 including Waddle?). 28% of his career touches went to the house. If he goes to say the Broncos or a similar situation I’d say he’s a strong candidate for rookie WR3 behind Lamb and Jeudy. He seems to be valued as a late first dynasty pick which I think is a steal.

Last edited by a moderator:
He was part of a receiver trio that had an outside shot of all going in the first round (4 including Waddle?). 28% of his career touches went to the house. If he goes to say the Broncos or a similar situation I’d say he’s a strong candidate for rookie WR3 behind Lamb and Jeudy. He seems to be valued as a late first dynasty pick which I think is a steal.
I wouldn't touch him til the late 2nd/early 3rd.  Literally 33 on my board right now.  Devonta Smith never had a chance at 1st round either (NFL draft I assume you mean?).  

ESPN draft analyst Todd McShay wrote in his analysis of Alabama WR Henry Ruggs that the receiver "needs to build strength to generate better late separation."

In a draft class that's loaded with talented wide receiver prospects, Ruggs (6'0/190) is considered to be one of the best. The former Alabama standout is considered by many to be a Day 1 draft pick, thanks in large part to his speed and big-play ability. But that doesn't make Ruggs a finished product by any stretch of the imagination. "Ruggs is a burner who explodes off the line of scrimmage and is savvy in his route running," McShay wrote. "He isn't afraid to work the middle of the field, but Ruggs needs to build strength to generate better late separation." McShay has Ruggs ranked 20th on his updated list of the top 32 prospects in this draft class.

SOURCE: ESPN.com

Jan 30, 2020, 12:44 PM ET

I wouldn't touch him til the late 2nd/early 3rd.  Literally 33 on my board right now.  Devonta Smith never had a chance at 1st round either (NFL draft I assume you mean?).  
I’ve heard it bandied about during bama broadcasts that Smith had the talent to be considered in that range. Obviously he would have declared if that were true today but this is also a loaded class so maybe the draft grade isn’t absolutely reflective of his talent. My point was, sharing an offense with three other potential NFL starters easily explains his and Jeudy’s less than eye popping dominator ratings.

ETA- try a quick google search for “Devonta Smith first round” I think you’re underselling his talent and reputation

I’ve heard it bandied about during bama broadcasts that Smith had the talent to be considered in that range. Obviously he would have declared if that were true today but this is also a loaded class so maybe the draft grade isn’t absolutely reflective of his talent. My point was, sharing an offense with three other potential NFL starters easily explains his and Jeudy’s less than eye popping dominator ratings.

ETA- try a quick google search for “Devonta Smith first round” I think you’re underselling his talent and reputation
Maybe I am, but I was thoroughly unimpressed by Smith doing my own evaluation.  He's just going to run into the same problem next year, being pushed down by way more talented players.  Ruggs isn't a 1st round guy, Jeudy is borderline to me, Smith was never even in the conversation.  

As for "sharing an offense with 3 potential nfl starters" says all I need to know.  Potential NFL starters bust all the time, you can't separate yourself from other "potential starters" then what makes you a special player?  This goes for Ruggs and Jeudy this year for sure, Smith next year very likely.  I don't need to search google for group think answers that want to generate hype.  

Ruggs seems like a guy that I want my FF QB throwing to but don't want him on my FF team. You know the type, shows up big for some games and then zeros out in others.
I'd take him in best ball. But otherwise agreed. 

Hilton is probably a good comp. DHB and Ginn too. But he won't be drafted as high. 

I just don't seem him as a target monster. I can't justify reaching for a guy that could easily become a John Ross, a Philip Dorsett or a Brandon Cooks in the hopes he's 1/2 of Tyreek Hill or close to Hilton. All 3 touted by to be 1st rd FF picks and all flopped.

I can be sold on him though. I see him as a bigger Marquise Brown who i did like coming out until he went to Baltimore, had a good year but is definitely not going to be a target monster.

Not interested unless I can get him late 2nd or 3rd round of rookie dynasty drafts.

ETA:  Which means I won't be getting him.

NFL.com draft analyst Daniel Jeremiah expects Alabama WR Henry Ruggs to be the fastest player at the NFL Combine.

Calling Ruggs (6'0/190) the fastest player at the NFL Combine isn't exactly a hot take, but it is noteworthy to see Jeremiah plant his flag. Jeremiah says an NFL executive was willing to wager on Ruggs being the fastest player over the entire field -- with the executive getting Ruggs and Jeremiah getting the field -- and Jeremiah said "no deal." Don't be shocked when Ruggs runs a sub-4.40 40-yard dash.

SOURCE: NFL.com

Feb 13, 2020, 1:57 PM ET

"Ruggs is a burner who explodes off the line of scrimmage and is savvy in his route running," McShay wrote.
"(John) Ross is a speed merchant who was clocked under 4.30 seconds in the 40-yard dash last spring. He is also an adept route-runner and deceptively strong despite an outwardly thin frame of 5-foot-11, 179 pounds."

"An advanced route runner, Ross offers Brandin Cooks-level upside if he can beat the injury bug."

For some strange reason, Ruggs reminds me of the Ross thread from a few years ago.  I pulled out a few of the quotes from that thread regarding Ross's skills beyond speed.

This blurb made me laugh. Especially the last sentence, like they go through all that and then don’t be surprised at sub 4.4 lol no kidding. 

NFL.com draft analyst Daniel Jeremiah expects Alabama WR Henry Ruggs to be the fastest player at the NFL Combine.

Calling Ruggs (6'0/190) the fastest player at the NFL Combine isn't exactly a hot take, but it is noteworthy to see Jeremiah plant his flag. Jeremiah says an NFL executive was willing to wager on Ruggs being the fastest player over the entire field -- with the executive getting Ruggs and Jeremiah getting the field -- and Jeremiah said "no deal." Don't be shocked when Ruggs runs a sub-4.40 40-yard dash.

SOURCE: NFL.com

Feb 13, 2020, 1:57 PM ET
but..but..the what about the warts?

"(John) Ross is a speed merchant who was clocked under 4.30 seconds in the 40-yard dash last spring. He is also an adept route-runner and deceptively strong despite an outwardly thin frame of 5-foot-11, 179 pounds."

"An advanced route runner, Ross offers Brandin Cooks-level upside if he can beat the injury bug."

For some strange reason, Ruggs reminds me of the Ross thread from a few years ago.  I pulled out a few of the quotes from that thread regarding Ross's skills beyond speed.
They seem like very similar comps. Maybe Ruggs will have better luck with injuries, coaching and QB play. 

Alabama WR Henry Ruggs said that his goal is to break the 40-yard dash record of 4.22 seconds.

"I feel pretty good about it. I'm confident," Ruggs said on Tuesday. John Ross set the current 40-yard record back in 2017. While players sometimes make athletic testing boasts which they can't ultimately back up, the 6-foot, 190-pound Ruggs has reason for some confidence, here. During Alabama's spring testing last year, Ruggs split the atom with a 40-yard dash clocked in the vicinity of 4.20 seconds. It's going to take a perfect run to beat Ross' time on Friday, but we wouldn't put it past the Crimson Tide speedster.

SOURCE: NFL Update on Twitter

Feb 25, 2020, 11:19 AM ET

Alabama WR Henry Ruggs recorded a vertical jump of 42 inches at the NFL Scouting Combine.

The entirety of the draft universe is waiting anxiously for Ruggs' 40-yard dash -- he said earlier this week that he is aiming to beat John Ross' record run of 4.22 seconds -- but in the meantime, the 5-foot-11, 188-pound Alabama speedster offered up a nice little taste of his athleticism with his big jump. His 42-inch vertical was tied with that of Jalen Raegor for second-best among all wideouts in Indianapolis. Donovan Peoples-Jones put in the top jump at a mind-blowing 44.5 inches.

SOURCE: Chase Goodbread on Twitter

Feb 27, 2020, 8:22 PM ET

Alabama WR Henry Ruggs ran the 40-yard dash in an unofficial 4.28 seconds at the NFL Scouting Combine.

Blazing fast by any metric, but not quite to the record of 4.22 seconds put in by John Ross a few years back. This was Ruggs' first try at the 40-yard dash on the evening. He will have another crack at Ross' record in a little bit. Earlier in the day, Ruggs also showed out very well in the vertical jump, posting an upward leap of 42 inches. We'll pass along the result when Ruggs gives the 40-yard dash another shot upcoming. Whether or not he can break Ross' record, Ruggs has Day 1 stock upside for the draft.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Feb 27, 2020, 9:13 PM ET

In addition to the speed.  You have to check out his hoops video if you wanna see off chart hops and athleticism.

-------------------------------------------

📽️  Henry Ruggs video

Hoopmixtape.com@Hoopmixtape

Henry Ruggs recorded a 4.27 in the 40 at the NFL combine yesterday. Here he is showing his athleticism in high school. (video via

@hudl, JG Images,@__RUGGS)

--------------------------------------------

:stalker:

Ruggs is not = T.Hill, hate to say it but that's my stance. I'll be happy to eat crow if I'm wrong.

Maybe I am, but I was thoroughly unimpressed by Smith doing my own evaluation.  He's just going to run into the same problem next year, being pushed down by way more talented players.  Ruggs isn't a 1st round guy, Jeudy is borderline to me, Smith was never even in the conversation.  

As for "sharing an offense with 3 potential nfl starters" says all I need to know.  Potential NFL starters bust all the time, you can't separate yourself from other "potential starters" then what makes you a special player?  This goes for Ruggs and Jeudy this year for sure, Smith next year very likely.  I don't need to search google for group think answers that want to generate hype.  
I hear this argument all the time and I’m not sure when people are going to finally wake up and realize that teams like Alabama are loaded with talent and their coaches must keep everyone involved in order to get the next class of top talent coming in.

Splitting targets and carries at Alabama is not the same as not being able to separate from your teammates at Boston College or Minnesota.

Users who are viewing this thread