What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Henry Ruggs III (1 Viewer)

Traded Chuba Hubbard for Henry Ruggs to the Christian McCaffery owner in my SUPERFLEX league. I don't know if he'll ever amount to anything, but if her erupts for a TD Week 1, I might be able to pawn him off onto some sap.

Shaq90 said:
Traded Chuba Hubbard for Henry Ruggs to the Christian McCaffery owner in my SUPERFLEX league. I don't know if he'll ever amount to anything, but if her erupts for a TD Week 1, I might be able to pawn him off onto some sap.
That seems like a great deal. 

The Athletic's Vic Tafur believes Raiders WR Henry Ruggs is "the one receiver we can lock in for a lot of targets."

"Gruden hears the criticism of the Ruggs pick, so he is the one receiver we can lock in for a lot of targets," Tafur writes. The first receiver drafted among last year's elite class, Ruggs was primarily used as a decoy under Gruden, receiving two screens on 581 offensive snaps and finishing behind Josh Jacobs in targets (45 to 43). There is some momentum here as Gruden mentioned 22-year-old Ruggs looking "much better" in his second year at offseason workouts. With Nelson Agholor's team-high 79.3 air yards and additional 5.1 targets per game vacated from last year, there is a fruitful role available for Ruggs to step into if Gruden discovers how to use him over free agent pickup John Brown. Any amount of volume near the line of scrimmage (rather than forgetting Ruggs is on the team) would also help.

SOURCE: Vic Tafur on Twitter

Jul 8, 2021, 11:10 AM ET

I was middle-of-the-road on him going into his rookie year. Didn't hate him, but also passed on him for Aiyuk in some rookie drafts. Looking at it now though, it's clear that he's underrated going into year 2.

He's outside the top 50 dynasty WRs on some lists I've seen. Crazy low for a guy with his draft pedigree and skill set. His rookie year really wasn't terrible. 452 yards on just 43 targets. If they ramp up his targets in future seasons (very likely) and his production scales, he can pretty quickly become a quality FF starter. I also think he LOOKED good last season, not just in terms of stats.

I'm thinking a range of realistic outcomes can easily see him jump into Santonio Holmes/Will Fuller territory in year 2-3, so he's an obvious buy candidate in startup drafts and trades.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was middle-of-the-road on him going into his rookie year. Didn't hate him, but also passed on him for Aiyuk in some rookie drafts. Looking at it now though, it's clear that he's underrated going into year 2.

He's outside the top 50 dynasty WRs on some lists I've seen. Crazy low for a guy with his draft pedigree and skill set. His rookie year really wasn't terrible. 452 yards on just 43 targets. If they ramp up his targets in future seasons (very likely) and his production scales, he can pretty quickly become a quality FF starter. I also think he LOOKED good last season, not just in terms of stats.

I'm thinking a range of realistic outcomes can easily see him jump into Santonio Holmes/Will Fuller territory in year 2-3, so he's an obvious buy candidate in startup drafts and trades.
Good post and feel similar. Threw him in on a trade to get my guy but would look to buy back at the right price. With Waller and Brown there it may present a nice opportunity to buy low if he has a slow start to the year.

Henry Ruggs said he gained 13 pounds this offseason in an effort to be a more physical player.

Ruggs is hoping it leads to more production in the passing game and as a runner. The 22-year-old was given just nine carries as a rookie. Doubling that number would be nice as a way to get the ball in the playmaker's hands more in year two. Getting tougher will also help in the short passing game; Ruggs has no choice but to be better there because Derek Carr refuses to throw the ball deep. Ruggs is Vegas' No. 1 receiver and is a worthwhile flier in the mid-to-late rounds of fantasy drafts.

SOURCE: Tashan Reed on Twitter

Jul 28, 2021, 4:59 PM ET

Raiders Mailbag: How have the second-year wideouts fared during Training Camp?

Excerpt:

"Has Ruggs been doing extra work?"

Henry Ruggs III has definitely done a lot of extra work this offseason -- and it shows.

Ruggs has come into Training Camp looking focused and more muscular than he did his rookie year. The receiver trained extensively this offseason and gained 13 pounds. He's putting his added muscle to good use as he's improved as a blocker, which will help in the run game with Josh Jacobs and Kenyan Drake.

Ruggs also looks more naturally confident on the field and more knowledgeable of the playbook, considering this is his first normal NFL offseason. Barring any injuries, Ruggs' speed and athleticism will be heavily depended on in the Raiders offense.

Raiders WR Henry Ruggs added 13 pounds this offseason

“It was my main focus,” Ruggs said of his weight gain. It’s a man’s game now. I’m not the biggest guy, but I have to get to where I can compete with grown men now, so that was one of my biggest things that I hammered on was getting bigger, eating all the time and just hammering down in the weight room. People are saying I am noticeably bigger, so I guess it’s paying off.”

“Sometimes if I’m blocking I’m just like getting in the way and sometimes I’m moved out of the way and I didn’t like that personally, so I don’t want to be a guy who’s just thrown around and just trying to be in the way,” Ruggs added.

So this WR depth chart looks real green…a lot of opportunity?  Or is Darren Waller going for 168/1798/4?
it's a bit frightening.  to say the least.

ALL 5 of them average 127/2147/11  renfrow is the best of the group at 53/632/3  carr is good for 350+ completions a year.  you might have wallers numbers a bit low. ;)  

the more i think about it, the more i think zay jones may emerge.   :shrug:   

My guess

Waller delivers expectations assuming health

Edwards outperforms ADP

Ruggs is ??  Don't have a great read on Ruggs, but it's not like he's expensive.

Dropped Ruggs for Edwards for what is more or less the last bench seat (12 team SF .5 ppr). Ruggs could be better this year, but I'm not buying it. Pre-season stuff hyping Ruggs all seemed like fluff to me.

Dropped Ruggs for Edwards for what is more or less the last bench seat (12 team SF .5 ppr). Ruggs could be better this year, but I'm not buying it. Pre-season stuff hyping Ruggs all seemed like fluff to me.
Ruggs serves a role for the Raiders to open things up for Waller and Renfrow.  Gruden should find ways to get the speedster the ball but that didn’t happen at all last year.   

Ruggs went drafted in my league, Edwards didn't.  Was happy to get Edwards as free agent.  In his limited tape from last season he exhibited great contested catch ability, good YAC and of course his prototypical X WR size + strength.  The camp hype fluff pieces have been comparing him to TO.  Obviously that's hyperbole but he is big bodied and a physical player.

I drafted last night (ppr) and ended up with waller, ruggs and edwards surprisingly.  I was not targeting any of them but the bottom fell out on them.  I took edwards with my last pick and Ruggs in the 11th.  

Any thoughts? Not getting a ton of conversation for the 1st WR drafted in 2020 and only 22 years old.

He played on a college team at Alabama that included Jeudy, Davanta Smith and Waddle, all who are getting pumped this preseason (deservedly so). Yes, he didn't show well last year, but it was a Covid year, he had just turned 21 right before the draft, no preseason, etc. Raiders had a top-10 passing offense, and Carr can throw deep. Curious what the mass thinks. Is Edwards just too much of a threat?

gpthatsme said:
Any thoughts? Not getting a ton of conversation for the 1st WR drafted in 2020 and only 22 years old.

He played on a college team at Alabama that included Jeudy, Davanta Smith and Waddle, all who are getting pumped this preseason (deservedly so). Yes, he didn't show well last year, but it was a Covid year, he had just turned 21 right before the draft, no preseason, etc. Raiders had a top-10 passing offense, and Carr can throw deep. Curious what the mass thinks. Is Edwards just too much of a threat?

In a recent superflex fantasy redraft of the 2020 class, Ruggs went in the 2nd round.  He's a decoy and probably will be 3rd or 4th on the team in targets.

Henry Ruggs caught 2-of-5 targets for 46 yards in the Raiders' Week 1 win over the Ravens.

Both Ruggs and Bryan Edwards (4-81) were held without a catch for the first 55 minutes of action before both made some plays late. Ruggs' big grab was a 37-yarder to put the Raiders in the red zone late in the fourth quarter, leading to a Darren Waller touchdown. Ruggs still doesn't see nearly enough volume to make him a reliable fantasy option ahead of Week 2 against the stingy Steelers.

Henry is taking a boom boom on my bench boom.

Bomb for a touchdown. That's why they drafted him, that's why I drafted him. Too few and too far between. He's better than people give him credit for, but I'm afraid this will be his story.

On everybody's bench.

Henry is taking a boom boom on my bench boom.

Bomb for a touchdown. That's why they drafted him, that's why I drafted him. Too few and too far between. He's better than people give him credit for, but I'm afraid this will be his story.

On everybody's bench.

Could we be looking at a Tyler Lockett type of arc? 

I will say that it was great watching Derek Carr actually THROW the ball downfield.

He's a lot younger than Lockett was when Lockett broke out, IIRC. If he could be 3/4ths of Lockett, he'd be very useful.
It took Lockett until 4th tear to break out if I recall. I think Ruggs has the possibility to be Lockett's equal. 

Of course I hope that because I flipped a coin last year and Heads equalled Henry and Tails equalled Justin Jefferson lol

It took Lockett until 4th tear to break out if I recall. I think Ruggs has the possibility to be Lockett's equal. 

Of course I hope that because I flipped a coin last year and Heads equalled Henry and Tails equalled Justin Jefferson lol
I earnestly advocated for Ruggs over a bunch of guys, including trading out of the 1.01 for him, but that story is well-told on this board. It could be worse. I guess. I could have taken Denzel Mims and Bryan Edwards with the extra picks, trading Edwards for a two this year.

Oh wait, that worse scenario is exactly what I did. Well then.

He's got a whole lot of tracking skills and really good hands;  the problem is that he isn't that great of a classic route runner. For him to break out this year would be quite the thing, data-wise. Consensus, ADP-wise, is usually not as wrong as people will have to have been on Ruggs for that condition to hold.

Not that it can't happen, but it would be awfully rare to fall in ADP in dynasty startup like he did and still remain relevant. The crowd and the sharps would have to be really wrong. Not that they can't be -- don't quote that as definitive, because there's a major flaw in that modelling that depends on crowd wisdom rather than statistical probability of talent and experience -- but it's not historically likely.

Pete Howard did the statistical modeling, but I can't find the citation. I'm sorry.

Its amazing how a 1st rd WR can produce if they actually game plan on getting him the ball.....not sure what Gruden was waiting for nor do I trust him to continue....cautiously optimistic.  

Its amazing how a 1st rd WR can produce if they actually game plan on getting him the ball.....not sure what Gruden was waiting for nor do I trust him to continue....cautiously optimistic.  
Gruden is the NFL's version of General Jack D. Ripper.

You could probably play a game of "Who said it" with Gruden/Ripper. Can't you see pausing to consider who might have actually said this?:

"Women uh... women sense my power and they seek the life essence. I, uh... I do not avoid women, Mandrake. But I... I do deny them my essence."

Or better yet, "Now why don't you just take it easy, Group Captain, and please make me a drink of grain alcohol and rainwater, and help yourself to whatever you'd like."

The Raiders scored an awful lot of points last year without Ruggs in the mix. It's not like he was necessary to a deluge of offense.

The opposition is going to have to figure out how to take away Waller this year. That opens things up for Ruggs and Edwards. We will see if Carr adjusts and finds those two more often.

Waller is the weapon on that team. Don't forget that.

He looked so terrible on National TV on MNF. I'm surprised with the bounce back and that he had the mental makeup to do so, as well as get over that mini injury. 

That said, IDK what Carr's been drinking- he is on fire. This Raiders offense will regress at some point, but I still can't trust an ancillary weapon on this team. 

Peter King had a good line about Ruggs today "Maybe Ruggs will never be an every-down receiver, but to ruin games he doesn’t have to be. Leave that to Darren Waller, Bryan Edwards and Hunter Renfrow."

He doesn't need 8-10 targets/game to validate his draft position, the threat of what he did yesterday puts immense pressure on defenses and opposing game plans.

He looked so terrible on National TV on MNF. I'm surprised with the bounce back and that he had the mental makeup to do so, as well as get over that mini injury. 

That said, IDK what Carr's been drinking- he is on fire. This Raiders offense will regress at some point, but I still can't trust an ancillary weapon on this team. 
Ruggs has far more value in real football than magic football.

But if he gets 7 targets/game (unlikely IMO but he is averaging 6 through two games) then he is worth a spot start or three in magic football too.

He did? He caught a fifty or so yard bomb to set up a touchdown. He didn't look great, and he got bumped off of the ball one play by the defensive back, but that happens to guys every so often.

No, he's never going to be A.J. Brown and fight through that sort of contact easily, but you need to press this guy and account for his speed, at least.

Henry Ruggs caught 4-of-7 targets for 78 yards in Las Vegas' Week 3 overtime win against Miami.

Ruggs was used in a variety of ways both near the line of scrimmage and downfield, even hauling in a 16-yard reception at the point of catch in overtime. Derek Carr also missed Ruggs streaking open between double coverage in the fourth quarter for a would-be touchdown. Although Bryan Edwards' 89 yards led the team in Week 3, Ruggs' seven targets tied Darren Waller (5/54) for a team-high mark. Ruggs continues to be the better stash in fantasy over Edwards if nitpicking among the team's receivers in deeper leagues.

Henry Ruggs caught 3-of-6 targets for 60 yards in the Raiders' Week 4 loss to the Chargers.

Ruggs was nonexistent before catching a 51-yard bomb in the second half. That play alone helped Ruggs lead the team in receiving on a night Derek Carr threw for just 196 yards. It would be a whole lot more fun if Carr would take more of those deep shots to Ruggs during games instead of just one or two. Ruggs also drew a long DPI call earlier in the night to set up an eventual Darren Waller touchdown. Ruggs has seen target counts of 5, 7, 7, and 6 to start his sophomore year. It's progress, but he remains more of a boom-or-bust fantasy WR4.

Oct 5, 2021, 12:39 AM ET

Dude was a Covid rookie dealing with multiple nagging injuries all year long, starting with a severe offseason thigh puncture and then a mysterious leg injury in game 1, prior to which he flashed some serious eye test candy. Despite the injuries and Agolor's unexpected strangle on his position, Ruggs continued to pass the eye test with major flashes during the year, including  a very natural and sound catching technique. His usage and targets were limited all season, but when called upon, he actually performed quite well, leading all rookie WRs in the season-long YPC metric. He's also received rave reviews from teammates, including Carr for his work ethic and talent.

And yet here a bunch of you dynasty folks are valuing him at the equivalent of a bag of chips heading into this season. Maybe you are right, but I suspect anyone who has traded for him recently is going to end up the winner of those deals, starting as soon as this season. To me, the only legit concern here is durability due to his build. The talent is there IMO, and the opportunity likely will be as well - there is a vacuum for targets in this Raider offense after Waller Baller, and would it really be a surprise if Ruggs takes the lion's share of those and adds that to his targets last season? Extrapolate his YPC and add a sandwich to the bag o chips. :)
:cool:

Raiders WR Henry Ruggs is making the leap

The young wide receiver has made huge strides from year one to year two

By Marcus-Johnson @TheMarcJohnNFL  Oct 21, 2021, 11:05am PDT  

The Las Vegas Raiders had two first-round picks in 2020, with one expected to be a wide receiver. The top three receivers in the draft were CeeDee Lamb, Jerry Jeudy, and Henry Ruggs. On draft night, the Raiders had the choice to select the one of their choosing. They left most fans in shock with the selection of Henry Ruggs. The pressure was on Ruggs after the selection, especially to be pro-ready on day one. Ruggs was not pro-ready and needed to put on weight and increase his strength to reach his potential.

Out of the gate, he flashed vs. the Carolina Panthers, but injury derailed him early and never was the same for the season. This led to him being the lowest first-round wide receiver in yards, catches, and targets. People began to write him off as a complete bust.

Flash forward to this season, and Ruggs is an entirely new player. He is 15th in receiver yards and second in deep passing yards using PFF analytics. He is averaging 22.3 yards per catch :eek:  and is one of the most dynamic young players in football. He and Carr are building a solid relationship of trust, which is in his deep passing numbers where he is second in completion percentage.

What has improved with Ruggs? Let us deep dive and take a look.

Route running

The main area of improvement for Ruggs, of course, is route running. While he is not the most excellent route runner globally, the steady progress is even week-to-week. He understands that teams fear his speed and is using it to his advantage.

[link to article to watch emdedded video clips noted below: Henry Ruggs Making The Leap]

This route is a great example. Ruggs will be working on the dig route on the 3x1 to Carr's right. After the snap, the former Alabama wide receiver uses his speed, forcing Alec Ogletree to open up his hips. Ruggs then uses a quick cut inside and leaves the linebacker in the dust, and Carr displays excellent anticipation on the throw.

The big play vs. the Pittsburgh Steelers is where the speed on deep routes and improved route-running come together. On this one, it is a post route from Ruggs on the choice concept. He hits the corner with a jab step and a veteran arm over when he gets to the top of his stem. It creates separation, and Ruggs blows right by him for the touchdown.

Strength and contested catches.

Ruggs will be fighting the just a speed guy label for a while. Ryan Clark of ESPN once called him a one-trick pony, which is ridiculous. Over the first six games, we have seen the former first-round pick make big plays that we usually see from the top wideouts in the game. According to PFF, Ruggs is second in contested catches on the season.  :boxing:

Take, for instance, this catch against the Miami Dolphins. Carr wants Ruggs on the post route, and he uses his speed to blow by pro bowler Xavien Howard. The quarterback doesn't want to throw the ball out of bounds. Instead, he puts it up in the air for him a 50/50. Ruggs rewards his QB for the decision and outmuscles a player known for his play strength for the contested catch.

In the same game, we have the four verticals concept with Ruggs on the jet motion. Carr throws this one back should, and Ruggs makes the acrobatic catch on the sideline while keeping his feet in bounds.

Then, of course, there was Week 6 vs. the Broncos. Olson isolates Ruggs on the 3x1, putting him in the x position, and Carr faces cover 0 and an all-out blitz. He tosses the ball in the air for Ruggs. The receiver wins the 50/50 for the significant gain.

These are just a few signs of his growth into what should be a 1000 yard receiver. The haters have calmed down a bit this week after a highlight-filled performance from young wideout. The future is bright outside for Vegas.

Ruggs involved in a serious car accident.

TMZ reports Henry Ruggs was involved in a "serious car accident" in Las Vegas early Tuesday morning.

Per TMZ Sports, 22-year-old Ruggs was involved in a wreck in the central Las Vegas Valley area around 3:40 AM. It's still unclear what Ruggs' condition is, though local newscasts are reporting there was at least one fatality in the crash. We will update this story as it develops.

SOURCE: TMZ Sports on Twitter

Nov 2, 2021, 1:20 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread