What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Henry Ruggs III (1 Viewer)

I read they are trying to trade up for Jeudy.
:shrug:

I read that Denver in love with Ruggs was the league's worst kept secret

ETA- I've heard Jeudy rumors too, however that only came out within the last few days. I've been hearing Ruggs for weeks. 

Not sure that's a great spot for Jeudy, but it's quite obvious dream landing spots are few and far between for these wrs going early

Last edited by a moderator:
I really try to privilege talent over situation (cue obligatory AJ Brown example + “things change fast” comment — both true btw) but I don’t want any of my favorite WRs landing in Denver. Sutton is ascending as a very possible top target and while Lock showed promise he’s still an open question. Can he sustain 2 fantasy relevant WRs (including with Gordon and Fant demanding targets)?

NBC Sports' Peter King reports Alabama WR Henry Ruggs won't get past pick No. 21.

This implies that the Eagles will take Ruggs if he falls to them. King added that, "Craziest rumor of the first round: Chiefs want to trade up for Henry Ruggs if he falls into the twenties." Basically, WR-needy teams wouldn't be opposed to taking the speedy field-stretching talent if he begins to fall down the board. This seems a bit unlikely considering WRs with this sort of speed usually don't suffer free falls come draft day. Speed kills, after all. Of course, it's fun to imagine what a player like Ruggs could provide both the Philadelphia and Kansas City offenses.

SOURCE: Profootballtalk.nbcsports.com

Apr 20, 2020, 8:48 AM ET

Alabama WR Henry Ruggs told NFL Network's Ian Rapoport that the Raiders, 49ers, Broncos and Eagles are the teams which have talked with him the most during the evaluating season.

The Raiders, 49ers and Broncos hold the Nos. 12, 13 and 15 picks, respectively. If the Eagles were to swoop in for Ruggs, it's very possible that they would have to trade up from No. 21 in order to seriously get in on this action. CeeDee Lamb and Jerry Jeudy are widely expected to be the first two wideouts off the board. Ruggs probably won't have to wait around too long after that. NBC Sports' Peter King hears that the Chiefs are another team to watch, here, though Kansas City would almost certainly have to trade up to get in position for the Alabama speedster.

SOURCE: John Clark on Twitter

Apr 22, 2020, 1:34 PM ET

Ruggs drops to the end of the 1st, maybe even the 2nd. That's my call. 
You can make easy money on that if he falls past pick 13.  His over/under draft spot is 13.5 on betting sites.  

personally I bet the under.  

Why do you see that? I think he could jump Jeudy and Lamb. The NFL loves speed.
Yeah, I think Ruggs could go top-10. Certainly top-half of the 1st.

He might be a more impactful NFL player than FFer, but I have no doubt he's highly rated by the vast majority of teams.

Raiders selected Alabama WR Henry Ruggs with the No. 12 overall pick in the 2020 NFL Draft.

Ruggs (5'11/188) declared for the NFL Draft after recording 40/746/7 as a true junior at Alabama. He operated as the No. 3 target behind NFL prospects Jerry Jeudy and DeVonta Smith, which limited his career reception count to just 98 catches. His 13.5 yards per target still ranked as the second-best mark in this year's class. While known for being a deep threat, Ruggs showed rare burst (1.43-second 10-yard split) and abilities after the catch on underneath targets, particularly on slants and shallow crossers. He nearly burnt down Lucas Oil Stadium when he showed a 99th-percentile Adjusted SPARQ score at the Combine, running the 40-yard dash in 4.27 seconds. Already coming off a highly-efficient season as a 20-year-old, Ruggs should only get better with more in-game reps, profiling as a play-caller's dream in his first year and a potential WR1 on the Will Fuller/Tyreek Hill spectrum later in his career. Unfortunately, Las Vegas' offense is far from an ideal fit. Ruggs will likely be more useful for his own team across from Tyrell Williams than he will be for fantasy purposes.

Apr 23, 2020, 9:39 PM ET

Hmmmm...

When all is said and done, I wouldn't be surprised if they're drafted pretty close to each other. Ruggs has been moving up most mocks I've seen.

Most mocks have Jeudy in the top 5-10 (sometimes in the top 3) and Ruggs somewhere in the top 25. With the way Ruggs has been playing this year and the times he is capable of clocking at the combine, it wouldn't be totally crazy to see him as a top 10-15 pick in April. I'd say there's a non-zero probability of him being picked higher than Jeudy, though I wouldn't bet on it. He's probably the better pure athlete, while Jeudy is a little bit bigger and has had more production.
Think his NFL ceiling is TY Hilton and his floor is something like what we saw from Hollywood Brown last year.

The big play ability is undeniable. Can he be a high volume guy? Can he stay healthy?

Anyone know why the draft prop for Ruggs (over/under 15.5) is seemingly no longer available ? Both my on-lines had it up until about a week ago, but now they don't. All the other props have been adjusting their odds, but this one was pulled completely. 

P.S. I thought the under 15.5 was a steal. 
I friggin' knew it

Baby Reek is being undervalued by the FF community (in general), IMO.

More skilled than Reek, Ruggs doesn't have Mahomes throwing to him, but this dude is going to be a handful for Ds. He's got soft hands & is an accomplished route-runner. Ruggs has nearly every trait except size, but he's still 5'11 (not super-short). 

Ruggs has skills typically not associated with speedsters, much less ones who run a sub-4.3 40. He's got a very high floor with a sky-high ceiling. Ruggs could easily end up being the best FF WR in this class. 

Football Jones said:

More skilled than Reek, Ruggs doesn't have Mahomes throwing to him, but this dude is going to be a handful for Ds. He's got soft hands & is an accomplished route-runner. Ruggs has nearly every trait except size, but he's still 5'11 (not super-short). 

Ruggs has skills typically not associated with speedsters, much less ones who run a sub-4.3 40. He's got a very high floor with a sky-high ceiling. Ruggs could easily end up being the best FF WR in this class. 
Tell it.

Football Jones said:

No denying Ruggs speed, which immediately is elite even at the next level. However I think you are under appreciating Tyreek with that statement. Tyreek is an alpha specimen. What makes him special is not only his world class speed but he is built like a brick $#it-house. Everything he does is violent and he plays larger than his stature. Maybe Ruggs morphs into that, but to say he already more skilled than Tyreek seems like a major stretch at this point.

• Smile
Reactions: EBF
No denying Ruggs speed, which immediately is elite even at the next level. However I think you are under appreciating Tyreek with that statement. Tyreek is an alpha specimen. What makes him special is not only his world class speed but he is built like a brick $#it-house. Everything he does is violent and he plays larger than his stature. Maybe Ruggs morphs into that, but to say he already more skilled than Tyreek seems like a major stretch at this point.
I missed the bolded when I said "Tell it!" I would like to backpedal a bit. Ruggs is nowhere near the open-field, joystick-esque freak that Tyreek is. He's just not. And until he proves that he's a viable target monster, too, he won't be able to lay claim to Tyreek's mantle.

I missed the bolded when I said "Tell it!" I would like to backpedal a bit. Ruggs is nowhere near the open-field, joystick-esque freak that Tyreek is. He's just not. And until he proves that he's a viable target monster, too, he won't be able to lay claim to Tyreek's mantle.
Ruggs is starting to grow on me. In fact I really do not have a lot of separation in rankings between CEH, Taylor, Lamb, Jeudy, Ruggs and even Dobbins at this point. After looking closer at Ruggs I see more physicality than I thought I would which is a nice plus. Bottom line it is just really challenging evaluating college receiver prospects as there are just so many aspects to look at. I heard a stat that somewhat shocked me the other day....”Only 29% of 1st round receivers earn a second contract with the team that drafted them”. I can’t recall where I heard that but that is pretty surprising to me if true. It also tells me that the NFL has a hard to with receiver evaluations so why should I think I can do it?

Anyway Ruggs definitely has an elite quality and that is a good start. Will he continue to develop, have a great desire to be great, get stronger, master the route tree, have a skilled enough quarterback, be the focal point of his offense, stay injury free....etc?...who knows. I wouldn’t bat an eye if anyone chose him over Lamb/Jeudy or vice versa. This group is close and all offer different unique qualities. Trying to figure out this class has shaved at least a few months off my life. Sitting at 1.01 and 1.08 this year and I would much rather be at 1.04 and 1.05.

There is only one Tyreek.   He is a truly special player and Ruggs is going to have to work extremely hard to come close to being Tyreek.   That doesn’t mean that Ruggs can’t be a great player in the NFL.   He has blazing speed and good hands.  That’s a great start.   

Don’t misunderstand me. I own Reek & picked him up when he was considered a flier.

That said, we’re talking about two different types of prospects coming out. Reek has gotten a lot better as a WR, but his biggest FF assets are being one of the most athletic freaks in the world (much like Ruggs) & having Mahomes as his QB.

Ruggs is a highly skilled WR. I believe most people are underestimating his technical ability. He’s way more than a speed guy.

Every fast guy being compared to Tyreek is like every tall guy being compared to Randy Moss. There's only one. I was an early Tyreek adopter and I drafted Ruggs in my only dev league last summer, so I don't really have a strong bias either way. Both players are good, but they have very little in common besides speed. As others have said, Tyreek is a unique athlete. Not only is he blazing fast, but he is STRONG for his height and has unusual short-area agility and quickness. It's the combination of everything that makes him maybe the best pass-catching weapon in the NFL right now.

Ruggs doesn't have all of that in his tool box. He isn't functionally strong on the football field. He isn't elusive. He runs good routes and has good hands, so I agree with FJ that he's more than just a track guy. However, in terms of style he's a pure vertical threat. He can win vertically all day. If you want best-case scenarios, it would be people like TY Hilton, Isaac Bruce, and Santonio Holmes. All are fast, thin vertical WRs with solid routes and hands. However, I don't think you're getting any of the catch-and-run stuff that Tyreek brings. I've balked at the comparison for the last 8-9 months, even before Ruggs's stock really blew up. They aren't alike.

Every fast guy being compared to Tyreek is like every tall guy being compared to Randy Moss. There's only one. I was an early Tyreek adopter and I drafted Ruggs in my only dev league last summer, so I don't really have a strong bias either way. Both players are good, but they have very little in common besides speed. As others have said, Tyreek is a unique athlete. Not only is he blazing fast, but he is STRONG for his height and has unusual short-area agility and quickness. It's the combination of everything that makes him maybe the best pass-catching weapon in the NFL right now.

Ruggs doesn't have all of that in his tool box. He isn't functionally strong on the football field. He isn't elusive. He runs good routes and has good hands, so I agree with FJ that he's more than just a track guy. However, in terms of style he's a pure vertical threat. He can win vertically all day. If you want best-case scenarios, it would be people like TY Hilton, Isaac Bruce, and Santonio Holmes. All are fast, thin vertical WRs with solid routes and hands. However, I don't think you're getting any of the catch-and-run stuff that Tyreek brings. I've balked at the comparison for the last 8-9 months, even before Ruggs's stock really blew up. They aren't alike.
Agree 100%.  Tyreek is a 1/1.  I'm sure their 40 times are similar but Hill seems way faster on the field too.  

I see nuances in Ruggs' game that Tyreek either doesn't apply or is unable to. For one, Ruggs' releases are pretty slick. And he does that thing where he alternates speed really well to help create false moves for the DB. He's quite a bit more technically advanced than Tyreek, IMO.

There's also a pretty big difference in their hands. Ruggs is generally considered to be a plucker with soft hands. Tyreek, while he's got decent pass-catching ability, isn't in Ruggs' class & I'd make an argument it's not real close.

All that said, I love me some Reek. Sounds like we were both early adopters. He plays with better strength & is more elusive than Ruggs, but his main advantage right now is Mahomes. Ultimately, Ruggs' FF value will come down to QB play. Bottom line, I'm willing to bet that won't be a long-term hindrance.

• Smile
Reactions: LBH
I see nuances in Ruggs' game that Tyreek either doesn't apply or is unable to. For one, Ruggs' releases are pretty slick. And he does that thing where he alternates speed really well to help create false moves for the DB. He's quite a bit more technically advanced that Tyreek, IMO.

There's also a pretty big difference in their hands. Ruggs is generally considered to be a plucker. Tyreek, while he's got decent catching ability, isn't in Ruggs' class & I'd make an argument it's not real close.

All that said, I love me some Reek. Sounds like we were both early adopters. He plays with better strength & is more elusive than Ruggs, but his main advantage right now is Mahomes. Ultimately, Ruggs' FF value will come down to QB play. Bottom line, I'm willing to bet that won't be a long-term hindrance.
I'm ready to go break down a wall for ol' coach here.

Ruggs is starting to grow on me. In fact I really do not have a lot of separation in rankings between CEH, Taylor, Lamb, Jeudy, Ruggs and even Dobbins at this point. After looking closer at Ruggs I see more physicality than I thought I would which is a nice plus. Bottom line it is just really challenging evaluating college receiver prospects as there are just so many aspects to look at. I heard a stat that somewhat shocked me the other day....”Only 29% of 1st round receivers earn a second contract with the team that drafted them”. I can’t recall where I heard that but that is pretty surprising to me if true. It also tells me that the NFL has a hard to with receiver evaluations so why should I think I can do it?

Anyway Ruggs definitely has an elite quality and that is a good start. Will he continue to develop, have a great desire to be great, get stronger, master the route tree, have a skilled enough quarterback, be the focal point of his offense, stay injury free....etc?...who knows. I wouldn’t bat an eye if anyone chose him over Lamb/Jeudy or vice versa. This group is close and all offer different unique qualities. Trying to figure out this class has shaved at least a few months off my life. Sitting at 1.01 and 1.08 this year and I would much rather be at 1.04 and 1.05.
You can make that happen in about 12 seconds.

Put it this way, if we gave Ruggs a year to get acclimated to the NFL, then they switched teams in year-2, I'm confident Ruggs would out-produce Reek (assuming Mahomes was still playing at his current level).

However, the reality is that's just an exercise in hypotheticals & we'll need to see what kind of QB play Ruggs gets before we can make an absolute statement about his FF prospects.

Put it this way, if we gave Ruggs a year to get acclimated to the NFL, then they switched teams in year-2, I'm confident Ruggs would out-produce Reek (assuming Mahomes was still playing at his current level).

However, the reality is that's just an exercise in hypotheticals & we'll need to see what kind of QB play Ruggs gets before we can make an absolute statement about his FF prospects.
Think you are underrating Tyreek quite a bit. Top 3-4 pure talent in the league at WR right now. Maybe top 1.

Think you are underrating Tyreek quite a bit. Top 3-4 pure talent in the league at WR right now. Maybe top 1.
I agree. I'm with you. I hope my love for Ruggs didn't make people come to any false conclusions.

I never said I'd rank Ruggs over Tyreek, but there's no denying Reek's advantage with Mahomes in regards to his FF success. 

I agree. I'm with you. I hope my love for Ruggs didn't make people come to any false conclusions.

I never said I'd rank Ruggs over Tyreek, but there's no denying Reek's advantage with Mahomes in regards to his FF success. 

I mean, you said that after a year of acclimation Ruggs would be better than Tyreek in the same situation. So you don't really agree with him unless you think Ruggs could be the best WR in the league. No way you think that, right?

I mean, you said that after a year of acclimation Ruggs would be better than Tyreek in the same situation. So you don't really agree with him unless you think Ruggs could be the best WR in the league. No way you think that, right?
LOL.

I said if they switched teams after giving Ruggs a year to get acclimated to the NFL (key point Reek is in LV), then Ruggs would out-produce him in KC.

I would more than hesitate to put anyone on Tyreek's level. His route running, speed, catching, and return and open-field running are a combination I've never seen before. That run against Dallas at the end of the half a year and a half ago when they all looked confused as he waltzed through them and in for a score? It might have been the best open-field run I've ever seen. It was jaw-dropping. 

For the record, I don't believe Ruggs is on Tyreek's level (yet). That would be a silly statement at this point. That said, Tyreek was WAY behind Ruggs at the same point in their careers. We're talking not in the same ballpark.

As freaky as Reek is, Ruggs isn't far behind & he's clearly more skilled as a pure WR (that's really not debatable). There's a difference between technical ability & some of the things Reek does that helps him be a top NFL player (i.e., athletic ability), not to mention the advantage he's got with Mahomes.

As far as FF is concerned, & that's mainly why we're all on this board, it's yet to be determined how good Ruggs' situation will be (which obviously affects his value). Lots to shake out yet.

I am now the proud sponsor of a bouncing Henry Ruggs on my dynasty team. Woot! Let's get the train going. Speed for miles, hands to cradle. Let's hope it all goes well for him. Whooohooooo! Figured this thread could use a party.

Users who are viewing this thread