Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

WR Henry Ruggs III, Raiders


Faust

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, Football Jones said:

What slot?

1.06. It wasn't coming back around. Tried to trade down again but couldn't. Was rebuffed by the most obvious trade partner, 1.08, who was outside of the big seven and had a second rounder, unlike 1.09, who didn't. I didn't want to move back to ten. That would have possibly been too far. 

Long story short? Slot six. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, rockaction said:

1.06. It wasn't coming back around. Tried to trade down again but couldn't. Was rebuffed by the most obvious trade partner, 1.08, who was outside of the big seven and had a second rounder, unlike 1.09, who didn't. I didn't want to move back to ten. That would have possibly been too far. 

Long story short? Slot six. 

6 is fine.

Enjoy!

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, rockaction said:

1.06. It wasn't coming back around. Tried to trade down again but couldn't. Was rebuffed by the most obvious trade partner, 1.08, who was outside of the big seven and had a second rounder, unlike 1.09, who didn't. I didn't want to move back to ten. That would have possibly been too far. 

Long story short? Slot six. 

BTW, #1 WR off the board?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Football Jones said:

BTW, #1 WR off the board?

Nope. CeeDee went at 1.04. But I made sure to comment in MFL's comment box about Al Davis and speed. Figured I'd do the great man some justice. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, rockaction said:

Nope. CeeDee went at 1.04. But I made sure to comment in MFL's comment box about Al Davis and speed. Figured I'd do the great man some justice. 

I typically only have soft rankings at this point & my decision was made for me with both CeeDee & Jeudy off the board.

CeeDee & Ruggs are super-close, IMO (I have Jeudy in the next tier).

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Football Jones said:

I typically only have soft rankings at this point & my decision was made for me with both CeeDee & Jeudy off the board.

CeeDee & Ruggs are super-close, IMO (I have Jeudy in the next tier).

Yeah. I knew I was taking Ruggs because I want to see him play on Sundays with a fun rooting interest. I figured I had an almost overwhelmingly good chance of getting him. So cool. It's done.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, rockaction said:

Nope. CeeDee went at 1.04. But I made sure to comment in MFL's comment box about Al Davis and speed. Figured I'd do the great man some justice. 

The person who took CeeDee at 1.04 is a smart man. ;)

Liked the Ruggs pick. I have him in the Devy league there. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Don Quixote said:

The person who took CeeDee at 1.04 is a smart man;)

Liked the Ruggs pick. I have him in the Devy league there. 

Word. Despite my doubts about CeeDee, for a while when I was running mocks he and Swift were being used as my 1.01 (pre-draft). That said, I've been such a shill for Ruggs the past few weeks it's sort of embarrassing. I hope he has a nice, long pro career along the lines of T.Y. Hilton or Isaac Bruce, both of whom have been used as hopeful comparisons. It'd be nice not to run the same five highlights on a loop, which is kind of amusing at the end of it all. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/2/2020 at 12:26 AM, Football Jones said:

Ruggs has skills typically not associated with speedsters, much less ones who run a sub-4.3 40. He's got a very high floor with a sky-high ceiling. Ruggs could easily end up being the best FF WR in this class. 

This is nearly word for word what people were saying about John Ross after he blew up the 40 yard dash. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, tangfoot said:

This is nearly word for word what people were saying about John Ross after he blew up the 40 yard dash. 

I didn't like Ross & traded out of a late-1st that year when he was on the board & considered value.

Ross can't hold the package Ruggs' jock comes in.

 

Edited by Football Jones
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, tangfoot said:

This is nearly word for word what people were saying about John Ross after he blew up the 40 yard dash. 

There seems to be a rather large logical fallacy in this argument, but I can't name it in Latin off of the top of my head, so I'll kind of look at it and shake my head "no."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, rockaction said:

There seems to be a rather large logical fallacy in this argument, but I can't name it in Latin off of the top of my head, so I'll kind of look at it and shake my head "no."

Quote

We know about Ross' 4.22 40-yard dash, which broke the modern combine record, putting him in an entirely different category on this list. But what stands out with Ross is that some guys are straight-line fast, others are quick and twitchy, and Ross is both. When you have someone who can make guys miss laterally and then leave them in the dust, that's special. I watched tape of this draft's speediest WRs around the same time -- such as Carlos Henderson, Isaiah McKenzie, Josh Malone and Ross -- and you'd be amazed at the difference between Ross' speed and those other burners. He's just at a different level. Ross scored four career kickoff return touchdowns and had 17 receiving scores last year, including the play below where he roasted USC's Adoree' Jackson with a ridiculous move at the line. Ross also brings value on reverses and jet sweeps; he averaged 9.8 yards per carry on 20 career rushes.

Todd McShay - https://www.cincyjungle.com/2017/4/13/15285772/john-ross-visiting-bengals-best-playmaker-draft-espn

Quote

Pro Football Focus analyst Bryson Vesnaver wrote that he was "struggling to find any real weakness for [Washington WR] John Ross."

Ross is a speed merchant who was clocked under 4.30 seconds in the 40-yard dash last spring. He is also an adept route-runner and deceptively strong despite an outwardly thin frame of 5-foot-11, 179 pounds. Mike Williams and Corey Davis have drawn almost consensus opinion as the top two wideouts in the draft, but we like Ross as a late first-round or early second-round gem.

 

Multiple injuries seem to be the only knock on Ross back at the time.  And wouldn't you know it, Ruggs also pulled up lame during his 40 yard dash. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, tangfoot said:

Multiple injuries seem to be the only knock on Ross back at the time.  And wouldn't you know it, Ruggs also pulled up lame during his 40 yard dash. 

Because they were wrong once, they're wrong again? That seems like a weird logical progression.

Post hoc ergo propter hoc is kinda -- maybe -- on point but I'm still not sure which fallacy you're operating under. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Flying Elvis said:

Drafted him on Saturday to an a SF IDP orphan I picked up. Move over a bit, rockaction. I need some room to climb on the bandwagon. 

Plenty of room on the Ruggs train. Climb aboard! We proudly serve RC Cola, too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, rockaction said:

Because they were wrong once, they're wrong again? That seems like a weird logical progression.

Post hoc ergo propter hoc is kinda -- maybe -- on point but I'm still not sure which fallacy you're operating under

It's not a fallacy if I'm right.  Ruggs busts, likely due to continual injuries.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, King of the Jungle said:

Did he have a problem with injuries at Alabama?

In the past year, leg injury, concussion and the aforementioned hammy (?) at the Combine.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/5/2020 at 5:20 AM, wiersface said:

Just got him at the 2.06 in a 12 team super flex dynasty. Feeling good about it

Picking 1.13 and this gives me hope I have a shot at him. Both QBs should go in first in this league (non-SF). But honestly seems like all the late first WRs - Rigs, Mims, Higgins, Pittman - are relly solid.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think Ruggs is going to have more value to the Raiders than his FF owners.  Gruden will ensure Ruggs gets about 5 touches each game as a way to open up the field for other players such as Walker, Renfrow, and Jacobs.  I don’t see Carr throwing deep to Ruggs often.    

Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, DocHolliday said:

I think Ruggs is going to have more value to the Raiders than his FF owners.  Gruden will ensure Ruggs gets about 5 touches each game as a way to open up the field for other players such as Walker, Renfrow, and Jacobs.  I don’t see Carr throwing deep to Ruggs often.    

 

6 minutes ago, Andy Dufresne said:

Ruggs isn't just a "run fast, I'll chuck it up to you" Willie Gault type.

I think he'll be a YAC monster.

 

Both seem likely, to me. Hopefully, Ruggs uses those early season, manufactured touches to show he's their best offensive weapon and then that number of touches grows. A big tie-breaker for me on rookie WRs was Gruden being the type of guy that can and will get creative to feed the speed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Flying Elvis said:

 

 

Both seem likely, to me. Hopefully, Ruggs uses those early season, manufactured touches to show he's their best offensive weapon and then that number of touches grows. A big tie-breaker for me on rookie WRs was Gruden being the type of guy that can and will get creative to feed the speed.

I think Carr will stick to Renfrow and Waller most this season.  That is his comfort zone.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ruggs is one of the players I'm REALLY looking forward to watching (Gibson is another one).

One of the staples of the WCO is YAC with horizontal routes. Ruggs had at least 20 yards on over 1/3 of such opps. He also averaged an FBS-best 12+ YAC & had a near-perfect passer rating when targeted.

It'll be interesting to see what all the Raiders do with Ruggs. Hopefully, he gets at least par QB play.

 

Edited by Football Jones
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/4/2020 at 1:03 PM, tangfoot said:

It's not a fallacy if I'm right.  Ruggs busts, likely due to continual injuries.

You could still have a logical fallacy even if the results ultimately prove you right. There’s a such thing as “bad process with good results” as well as  “good process but bad results”. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/6/2020 at 3:39 PM, Andy Dufresne said:

Ruggs isn't just a "run fast, I'll chuck it up to you" Willie Gault type.

I think he'll be a YAC monster.

Very easy to slide him into that role.  I get it. 

His highlights tell a different story. Lot of crossing routes, and some really pretty sideline back shoulder stuff. 3rd biggest hands in the class.  

Doesn't need to be a compiler, PPR monster.  

Edited by massraider
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Only two issues I have with him as a prospect:

1. He is more of a strider than a quick/agile player. The RAC statistics may be a little misleading here because most of his RAC is just from raw sprint speed. For a lighter WR, he's not really an agile, shifty guy in space. He's more of a one-cut-and-go type. This is where I see a little bit of the Ted Ginn comparison people make. Ginn was even leaner and more linear though, so I think Ruggs is the better overall athlete. He also has better hands than Ginn. However, he's definitely not Tyreek Hill or even Tyler Lockett when it comes to foot quickness/suddenness. This could cause some issues creating separation, but I don't think he's bad in this department. Just not elite.

2. He has a somewhat lean, weak frame. He can be pushed around and bullied. He doesn't have much play strength. You worry about him taking hits. When you combine the lack of elite fluidity with the thinn-ish frame, you get a questionable skill set for possession situations. We know he'll be able to get deep, but will he be able to move the chains too? That may determine his ceiling. I think you're looking at an 800-900 yard player just on bombs and big plays alone, but can he add to that with some gritty possession work to become more than a feast-or-famine FF WR3? That may be the fundamental question here.

In conclusion, not a bulletproof guy, but perhaps a bit underrated when you weigh the draft slot vs. the rookie draft ADP. First WR selected. Falling to the 9-12 range of PPR rookie drafts from what I've seen. I think this is a tough first round rookie WR class to parse, but it's hard to say he isn't a solid gamble at, or maybe even above, his ADP. I'm personally fading Akers and Swift ahead of him unless it's a mandatory 2RB league and I'm starved for a body there. Do you take him ahead of Reagor? Jefferson? Jeudy? Lamb? That's where it becomes murky for me. I'd start considering him around the 1.05-1.07, but it's a tough call that high. I don't have a clear favorite there right now. When he slides to the 1.10 or 1.11 and those other guys are gone, I'm very comfortable taking a chance on him.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, EBF said:

Only two issues I have with him as a prospect:

1. He is more of a strider than a quick/agile player. The RAC statistics may be a little misleading here because most of his RAC is just from raw sprint speed. For a lighter WR, he's not really an agile, shifty guy in space. He's more of a one-cut-and-go type. This is where I see a little bit of the Ted Ginn comparison people make. Ginn was even leaner and more linear though, so I think Ruggs is the better overall athlete. He also has better hands than Ginn. However, he's definitely not Tyreek Hill or even Tyler Lockett when it comes to foot quickness/suddenness. This could cause some issues creating separation, but I don't think he's bad in this department. Just not elite.

2. He has a somewhat lean, weak frame. He can be pushed around and bullied. He doesn't have much play strength. You worry about him taking hits. When you combine the lack of elite fluidity with the thinn-ish frame, you get a questionable skill set for possession situations. We know he'll be able to get deep, but will he be able to move the chains too? That may determine his ceiling. I think you're looking at an 800-900 yard player just on bombs and big plays alone, but can he add to that with some gritty possession work to become more than a feast-or-famine FF WR3? That may be the fundamental question here.

In conclusion, not a bulletproof guy, but perhaps a bit underrated when you weigh the draft slot vs. the rookie draft ADP. First WR selected. Falling to the 9-12 range of PPR rookie drafts from what I've seen. I think this is a tough first round rookie WR class to parse, but it's hard to say he isn't a solid gamble at, or maybe even above, his ADP. I'm personally fading Akers and Swift ahead of him unless it's a mandatory 2RB league and I'm starved for a body there. Do you take him ahead of Reagor? Jefferson? Jeudy? Lamb? That's where it becomes murky for me. I'd start considering him around the 1.05-1.07, but it's a tough call that high. I don't have a clear favorite there right now. When he slides to the 1.10 or 1.11 and those other guys are gone, I'm very comfortable taking a chance on him.

I have a similar line of thought, however, one thing that I cannot deny how much Raiders covet Ruggs.  It sounds like they really want him to be #1 WR to take advantage of his game-breaking speed on slant route. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Aznflyer14 said:

I have a similar line of thought, however, one thing that I cannot deny how much Raiders covet Ruggs.  It sounds like they really want him to be #1 WR to take advantage of his game-breaking speed on slant route. 

I also have a similar line of thinking to EBF. About pretty much everything he said. Especially the straight line speed vs. agility, a minor point but a huge one when one considers results at the NFL level. I obviously took Ruggs III at the 1.06 but tried to trade down to about eight or nine and pick up a pick because of the top seven consensus tier this year, but to no avail. I feel like 1.06 was too early, but that's cutting it really finely.  He certainly was worth a first-round chance in a twelve-team 1 QB standard or PPR or PPR/IDP draft, the last of which I was drafting in. 

Edited by rockaction
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Rugs isn't a tiny guy. His 5'11/188 frame isn't super-small in relation to the DBs who'll be covering him.

Ruggs' releases are actually one of his strengths (certainly not a weakness). Plus, it's unlikely press coverage will be extensively used against him. That's really dangerous given Ruggs' ability to separate & extend separation with his speed. That might be the preferred strategy until the first time he busts one.

For those reasons & a lot more, I believe Ruggs is the rare high ceiling/high floor prospect (Pittman is another one).

Edited by Football Jones
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Father says Raiders WR Henry Ruggs injured thigh during a move

Quote

Rookie Las Vegas Raiders wide receiver Henry Ruggs III suffered a cut on his thigh during a move but is "pretty much OK," his father told AL.com.

"He was trying to move a trailer or something -- move his furniture or something -- and the trailer just kind of pinned him against a car or a wall or something," Henry Ruggs Jr. told the newspaper. "He's pretty much OK, I'm about to go out there and see him in a little bit. It was just like a little open wound on his leg, a little incision. Like something had stuck him right there on his thigh a little bit."

A Raiders source told ESPN's Adam Schefter that Ruggs "will be fine."

Ruggs Jr. said his son is "just having to walk on crutches. Not putting as much pressure on it."

He said because of the precautions because of the coronavirus, he has not been able to talk to the doctor who treated his son.

The Raiders on Monday said they were "aware of a report regarding an off-field injury to Henry Ruggs III. Respecting Henry's right to medical privacy, the team will not be commenting on the report."

Las Vegas selected the speedy wide receiver, who ran the fastest time in the 40-yard dash at this year's scouting combine at 4.27 seconds, with the 12th overall pick of the 2020 draft.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Faust changed the title to WR Henry Ruggs III, Raiders

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
  • Create New...