What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Henry Ruggs III (1 Viewer)

👍

Great to see. Not to be greedy, but hope the targets go up and not overly reliant on long ones.

Last edited by a moderator:
Henry Ruggs caught 2-of-3 targets for 118 yards and one touchdown in the Raiders' Week 5 win over the Chiefs.

Ruggs missed the previous two weeks with a pulled hamstring but made his presence felt in a big way in his return, dusting the secondary for a 72-yard touchdown grab in the second quarter. Derek Carr doesn't take many shots downfield, unfortunately, because we'd love to see Ruggs get more deep balls thrown his direction. His three targets were tied for third on the team behind Darren Waller and Jalen Richard. Ruggs can run by anyone, but his volume is a question mark. Ruggs gets the bye and will then face the Bucs as an upside WR4 in Week 7.

- Rotoworld

zamboni said:
👍

Great to see. Not to be greedy, but hope the targets go up and not overly reliant on long ones.
I think as he puts together more practice with Carr that the targets will go up. Keeping it simple for now.

Ruggs makes such a big difference in that offense. 3-0 in games with Ruggs, 0-2 without him. The threat of him deep, opens up everything else so much.

I think as he puts together more practice with Carr that the targets will go up. Keeping it simple for now.

Ruggs makes such a big difference in that offense. 3-0 in games with Ruggs, 0-2 without him. The threat of him deep, opens up everything else so much.
Ruggs and Jacobs = championship 

I hear you, but you don’t get fantasy points for opening up things for everyone else. :kicksrock:

I didn't draft him in my rookie draft for the points necessarily (my rule of thumb is pick the guy that electrifies you and that you want to watch) but I didn't draft him for frustration with his usage, either. Let's hope they try and consciously get him the ball like they did today.

About today: If you're KC, how do you let him get behind you twice for gains of forty-five plus?

I didn't draft him in my rookie draft for the points necessarily (my rule of thumb is pick the guy that electrifies you and that you want to watch) but I didn't draft him for frustration with his usage, either. Let's hope they try and consciously get him the ball like they did today.

About today: If you're KC, how do you let him get behind you twice for gains of forty-five plus?
They're worried about the Waller dink and dunks and then call the right play at the right time when the safety tries to cheat and Carr pulls the trigger. It's a beautiful thing!!

wait until carr figures out that you can throw that back shoulder curl to him... 

Majority of fantasy still sleeping on this kid's overall game, with many thinking he's just another overdrafted Raiders speed guy. Ruggs has legit ball skills and toughness - his two deep catches this week being highly indicative. His only problem thus far this season has been a lack of health. I can't speak to that long-term, as he plays HARD for a skinnie-strong guy, but if he stays healthy, this dude is going to be a fantasy force. ROS, hammy health is a real concern, and so are rookie- and overall Raider streakiness. But if healthy, he's easily a high-end WR3 IMO.

They're worried about the Waller dink and dunks and then call the right play at the right time when the safety tries to cheat and Carr pulls the trigger. It's a beautiful thing!!
yeah, he still is a risky play for now, but the reason that I drafted him in redraft  was that I thought that they raiders could use him like Tyreek Hill.  The Hill/Kelce or Andrews/Brown type dynamic where you can just get guys who can move in space and let the QB react to what is open puts a lot of pressure on defenses and eventually they are going to break a bit.

yeah, he still is a risky play for now, but the reason that I drafted him in redraft  was that I thought that they raiders could use him like Tyreek Hill.  The Hill/Kelce or Andrews/Brown type dynamic where you can just get guys who can move in space and let the QB react to what is open puts a lot of pressure on defenses and eventually they are going to break a bit.
If Ruggs can stay healthy he will be targeted.   He is the best WR on the team already and will only get better.   He isn’t Hill though.   Hill is on a whole different level.   

If Ruggs can stay healthy he will be targeted.   He is the best WR on the team already and will only get better.   He isn’t Hill though.   Hill is on a whole different level.   
yeah i'm not saying he will or can be as good as Hill, just that I think that he can be used in a similar way in terms of the effect on the defense.

yeah i'm not saying he will or can be as good as Hill, just that I think that he can be used in a similar way in terms of the effect on the defense.
Agee with you there.   Ruggs value on the team is more than just his catches.   He will open up the rest of the field.  

I agree with the lack of volume being a concern with a lot of other mouths to feed (particularly Waller). But he's only played 2.5 games, so it's too soon to make an assessment of what his target share will be.

Comping anyone to Hill is tough because Hill represents the 99th percentile outcome for that kind of player. Strong enough to battle with DBs, durable enough to play through the grind of an NFL season, developed enough to become a good all around WR and landed with the best case scenario QB and coaching staff. 

John Ross seems to be the 1st percentile outcome. Not strong enough to battle through contact, seems to always be banged up and isn't able top play through it, hasn't developed an all around skill set and has been paired with weaker armed conservative QBs, terrible QBs and poor coaching. 

Comping anyone to Hill is tough because Hill represents the 99th percentile outcome for that kind of player. Strong enough to battle with DBs, durable enough to play through the grind of an NFL season, developed enough to become a good all around WR and landed with the best case scenario QB and coaching staff. 

John Ross seems to be the 1st percentile outcome. Not strong enough to battle through contact, seems to always be banged up and isn't able top play through it, hasn't developed an all around skill set and has been paired with weaker armed conservative QBs, terrible QBs and poor coaching. 
99.99%

Henry Ruggs caught 2-of-3 targets for 35 yards in Las Vegas' Week 7 loss to Tampa Bay.

Ruggs hauled in a shallow pass on 3rd-and-4 in the second quarter and turned upfield for a 29-yard gain. The issue is that was the only time coach Jon Gruden attempted to use the lightning-quick rookie creatively, having him simply run go-routes for the second straight game. Ruggs has now recorded three targets in back-to-back starts since returning from injury, being out-targeted by Nelson Agholor 11 to 6 in that stint — completely unacceptable for an offense that clearly is in need of playmakers. Ruggs will remain a boom-or-bust WR3/4 in Week 8 against the Browns.

- Rotoworld

I've always thought Gruden was a bit over his head and his flamboyance masked it.
Maybe so but this isn’t rocket science.  He feeds his other playmakers, Waller and Jacobs.  You have to get Ruggs the ball 6-8 times a game.   I don’t own Ruggs but am coming from the view of a Raiders fan.   Aglohor should not be your WR1.  

Maybe so but this isn’t rocket science.  He feeds his other playmakers, Waller and Jacobs.  You have to get Ruggs the ball 6-8 times a game.   I don’t own Ruggs but am coming from the view of a Raiders fan.   Aglohor should not be your WR1.  
Raiders face Cleveland's weak secondary this week.  Just gave up 400 + yards against a rookie.

Fear not.  Ruggs (and just about everyone) 'should' do well this week.

I've found that the simple things confound those that think things have to be complex and therefore exclusive.

Unless he steps up and proves he should be -- and over the last few games, Agholor has been mostly doing just that. Big props to Agholor over the last few games, he's the WR on the team that's stepped and been getting it done more than others.

I think Call still needs to work on his timing with Ruggs, as he still slightly overthrew him on a bomb where Ruggs had a step or two - I contrast this to the Wilson/Lockett connection where Russell just drops the ball into the bucket perfectly for a streaking Lockett. Carr and Ruggs need to get on this same kind of page ASAP to make those long bombs not just a threat but a reality.

And Gruden needs to use Ruggs' quickness and feet to get him open on comebacks, hitches, slants, and double moves more. Tree needs to be far more open to utilize Ruggs' skills and I don't know if he's just not making those calls or Ruggs is still learning them, but his usage seems to be to stretch the field when it could be so much more.

Hoping this chemistry gets in synch as Call could be using Ruggs so much more, and Ruggs needs the looks to get past the learning curve and settle into what should be a dominant WR1 role on the team.

Unless he steps up and proves he should be -- and over the last few games, Agholor has been mostly doing just that. Big props to Agholor over the last few games, he's the WR on the team that's stepped and been getting it done more than others.

I think Call still needs to work on his timing with Ruggs, as he still slightly overthrew him on a bomb where Ruggs had a step or two - I contrast this to the Wilson/Lockett connection where Russell just drops the ball into the bucket perfectly for a streaking Lockett. Carr and Ruggs need to get on this same kind of page ASAP to make those long bombs not just a threat but a reality.

And Gruden needs to use Ruggs' quickness and feet to get him open on comebacks, hitches, slants, and double moves more. Tree needs to be far more open to utilize Ruggs' skills and I don't know if he's just not making those calls or Ruggs is still learning them, but his usage seems to be to stretch the field when it could be so much more.

Hoping this chemistry gets in synch as Call could be using Ruggs so much more, and Ruggs needs the looks to get past the learning curve and settle into what should be a dominant WR1 role on the team.
I think we are saying the same thing?   I’m happy for what Agholor is doing but he is not a WR1.  The Raiders need a WR1.   Maybe its Ruggs.  He is only a rookie and has much potential.  Maybe the WR1 is not yet on the roster.  

I think we are saying the same thing?   I’m happy for what Agholor is doing but he is not a WR1.  The Raiders need a WR1.   Maybe its Ruggs.  He is only a rookie and has much potential.  Maybe the WR1 is not yet on the roster.  

Still waiting to see if Edwards can be that guy, but obviously can’t do it from the training table.

NFL Week 8 Preview: Fantasy football advice, betting tips and matchups to watch

LAS VEGAS RAIDERS @ CLEVELAND BROWNS

Fantasy

The Cleveland Browns have been one of the worst teams at defending the slot so far this season, allowing the second-most passing yards, the second-most deep-ball attempts and the fourth-highest yards per attempt (9.8).

This absolutely screams, “this is a Henry Ruggs III game,” considering the rookie speedster ranks second in the NFL in aDOT (23.3) on targets from the slot this season.

Marquise Brown ranks fourth on that list. When he faced the Browns earlier this season, he went for over 100 yards. Expect to see similar production from Ruggs in this Week 8 matchup considering the Browns have allowed the second-most fantasy points to wide receivers this season.
Go to the link for the full article.

I was just looking at Grudens coaching history and he coached WR whenever he hasn't been a coordinator or head coach.

I looked at who the top WR have been when he has been coaching.

Sterling Sharpe with the Packers but he was already established before Gruden got there.

With the Eagles they had 34 year old Irving Fryer join the team and have a good season. He was already an established player.

With the Raiders it was Tim Brown and Jerry Rice. Already established WR.

With Tampa Bay they had Keyshawn Johnson. Already established player. Michael Clayton had a great rookie season but was replaced by Joey Galloway an already established player.

Then last year Gruden tried to bring in Antonio Brown.

We haven't really seen Gruden develop a WR he drafted into their top WR yet.

Aglohors skill set is perfect for the Z position in the WCO that the Eagles and Andy Reid drafted him for. I don't think he is all that good though and the Raiders should try to upgrade.

Its hard for me to say what kind of WR really thrives in Grudens offense besides HOF players.

We in the fantasy community often forget (or just don't realize) that the best coaches/strategists - Gruden may or may not be one of them, I am still not sure - don't just gameplan for the upcoming opponent, but also for the ROS schedule, incl. a playoff run, if expected. Belichick is the master at this, evolving his schemes as the season goes on, so that upcoming opponents can't gameplan as easily for him.

There could also be some health/maintenance concerns at play, after Ruggs quickly got dinged up under a full workload early this year, with the same mentality in mind - that certain games/moments are more important than others, so you limit your best weapons exposure to the former, if you are concerned about overuse - particularly for young or inexperienced weapons.

Last week's wind/hail bowl can be thrown out entirely. The week before against Tampa (a non-conference opponent) was *perhaps* a moment where Gruden tried to incorporate other weapons and save his best Ruggs plays in his pocket for when the Chiefs come to town or late in the year when in, or trying to obtain a playoff berth. If that all sounds like overcomplicated 4D chess, the NFL is exactly that among the best of the best coaches. Again, Gruden may or may not be in that class, but we've seen Ruggs creativity earlier this year. I know it exists. Why it's not being unleashed every game, I can't say for sure, but I suspect it's more nuanced than just Gruden being an idgit.

Henry Ruggs caught 3-of-4 targets for 31 yards in the Raiders' Week 10 win over the Broncos.

The Raiders only attempted 25 passes in this game but Ruggs saw just as many targets as Nelson Agholor and Josh Jacobs. Darren Waller led the team with five looks. Ruggs hasn't caught more than three passes in a game this season and is clearly being used in a role that will rarely produce decent fantasy weeks. He can be dropped in all standard-size leagues.

- Rotoworld

Would be nice to see what this kid could do if they actually threw him the ball. I’m sure the team would like to see some return on their invested #12 overall pick, too.

Would be nice to see what this kid could do if they actually threw him the ball. I’m sure the team would like to see some return on their invested #12 overall pick, too.
One went right through his hands on a deep ball. He was getting turned around a bit by the defender but still should have had it. He made a nice catch high=pointing a jump ball later on.

They didn't need to throw the ball much today. They haven't broken 200 yards passing in the past three games (all wins). They're running over people right now, and Gruden is going to do it if it works.

Haven't seen a single snap of Raider football. Does he look bad?
I would say he's taken on the old Will Fuller role in Houston of stretching the defense. He looked good on a catch or two today. Like I said upthread, one deep ball went through his hands though he had gotten his shoulder turned ever so slightly.

He's not really getting targets enough to tell. Like I also said upthread, I think Carr hasn't broken 200 yards in three games. 111, 165, 154. Those aren't numbers conducive to fed receivers. They're a run-first team and they're winning. (And a pretty good club.)

But I think you make your own opportunities, and in that regard, he's a bit lacking so far. 

Im not convinced he isnt the second coming of John Ross...another high speed pick.....

I know he is stretching the field but man he is looking very inferior to Jeudy, Lamb, Jefferson, Claypool and more....you would think they would find ways to get him the ball with some quick screens, reverses, and not just deep balls.....looks like a big time whiff so far....

Im not convinced he isnt the second coming of John Ross...another high speed pick.....

I know he is stretching the field but man he is looking very inferior to Jeudy, Lamb, Jefferson, Claypool and more....you would think they would find ways to get him the ball with some quick screens, reverses, and not just deep balls.....looks like a big time whiff so far....
Some teams, like the Raiders, cannot draft WRs.  Lamb was the obvious choice for LV.   It doesn’t make sense that they don’t feed him the ball a few times each game either.   

Some teams, like the Raiders, cannot draft WRs.  Lamb was the obvious choice for LV.   It doesn’t make sense that they don’t feed him the ball a few times each game either.   
Part of it may be Gruden's long term contract....a coach/GM with much less security would feel pressure to involve him.....but he has security and they are winning so why change.....just imagining Lamb on that team.....never liked the pick for them at that spot

Part of it may be Gruden's long term contract....a coach/GM with much less security would feel pressure to involve him.....but he has security and they are winning so why change.....just imagining Lamb on that team.....never liked the pick for them at that spot
As a Raider fan, it’s great to see wins but eventually, the lack of talent WR will be a problem.  Jefferson have been fantastic too.  

Trying to figure out whether the Raiders spent their #12 pick on a decoy that stretches the field for everyone else, haven't figured out to use him yet, or just whiffed on the pick. 

Regardless, the production is just not there and when you see other rookie WRs thriving, I'm not convinced he'll ever be much of a fantasy force.

Users who are viewing this thread