What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How Many QBs Out There Would The Patriots Rather Have For This Playoff Run? (1 Viewer)

How Many QBs Out There Would The Patriots Rather Have For This Playoff Run?

• Zero

Votes: 17 19.5%
  • 1-3

Votes: 21 24.1%
  • 4-15

Votes: 44 50.6%
  • 16+

Votes: 5 5.7%

• Total voters

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
If you’re Bill Belichick and you could magically obtain any current NFL QB tomorrow for the playoff run, how many QBs are out there they’d bench Brady for?

I have a friend who said there were a lot of QBs the Patriots would rather have to start the playoff run. 

What do you think?

Lol at “run”. They’re one and done. 
Agree - I mean; I never count them out, but I’ve never seen them lose to a MIA team that’s tanking, at home, in December, where Brady’s thrown a pick-6 before either, so It feels a bit different this time.

Sure, the magic might happen again in the playoffs, but this is looking like a really mediocre Pats team. 

If you’re Bill Belichick and you could magically obtain any current NFL QB tomorrow for the playoff run, how many QBs are out there they’d bench Brady for?

I have a friend who said there were a lot of QBs the Patriots would rather have to start the playoff run. 

What do you think?
At least 5, but I voted for more. Heck, Ryan Tennehill looks a lot better than Brady right now. 

pats might even want to capture a little of that Minshew magic at this point.

good lord does Brady ever look washed.  I’m secretly hoping he looks good in the playoffs because I’d love to dump him for something in my dynasty superflex. I doubt I’d get a 5th round pick for him at this point. 

What do you think?
Bill Belichick would say “none”.

I would say at least 5.

A few, but it's really the team around him that's fallen off, not him.
C’mon - he’s fallen off plenty. His arm is getting kinda noodle-Ish, and he never had a cannon. 

i agree he doesn’t trust his WRs, but that’s as much on him as it is on them - he should still make the pass to the open guy with the chance of a drop instead of trying to force the ball to the covered Edelman (the game-losing play a couple weeks back) - that’s just a bad decision by a dude not known for making bad decisions. 

Brady is a shell of his former self, and while the team around him isn’t as good, he bears quite a bit of that responsibility. 

If we're assuming this new guy appears out of thin air on Monday and has to learn the entire offense in one week vs. the guy that the playbook has been built around, then the number probably isn't all that high.

(But the list of guys Belichik would rather have heading into training camp next year is probably pretty long.)

I hate the Pats but they have zero offensive weapons now.  So I guess a QB like Jackson who can at least run would be better.

If we're assuming this new guy appears out of thin air on Monday and has to learn the entire offense in one week vs. the guy that the playbook has been built around, then the number probably isn't all that high.

(But the list of guys Belichik would rather have heading into training camp next year is probably pretty long.)
Yes, that's the question. 

It's not a question of "Who's better - Brady or Mahomes?" It's: Would you rather have Mahomes with 6 days experience in the system or Brady who knows it like the back of his hand? That's what makes the question interesting I think.

C’mon - he’s fallen off plenty. His arm is getting kinda noodle-Ish, and he never had a cannon. 

i agree he doesn’t trust his WRs, but that’s as much on him as it is on them - he should still make the pass to the open guy with the chance of a drop instead of trying to force the ball to the covered Edelman (the game-losing play a couple weeks back) - that’s just a bad decision by a dude not known for making bad decisions. 

Brady is a shell of his former self, and while the team around him isn’t as good, he bears quite a bit of that responsibility. 
Agreed.  Brady's play is clearly not the only issue, but it's as clear as day that he is not the player he once was.  I still won't be surprised if he summons a rabbit or two out of the hat in the playoffs, but his play has declined quite a bit. 

Yes, under those parameters there’s no reason this should even be a topic. It would be ridiculous to sub a new QB in there with a week of practice to learn the complex Pats offense. 
I’m not sure how complex it is these days. They can’t decide if they’re a running or passing team, they won’t commit to their best back & they only throw to White or Edelman.  :shrug:

I'm just speculating here, but it's quite possible that QB will be watching on the sidelines in the wildcard. (MM)

It's not a question of "Who's better - Brady or Mahomes?" It's: Would you rather have Mahomes with 6 days experience in the system or Brady who knows it like the back of his hand? That's what makes the question interesting I think.
Gimme Mahomes. He’ll make 20 plays improvising that look better than Brady has all year running the playbook. 

Almost the entire NE offense is banged up. Brady has had an elbow injury for weeks and has not been able to practice much. Edelman is said to have a pretty severe shoulder injury and don't be surprised if he has surgery on it as soon as the season is over. Sanu has been trying to play with a high ankle sprain. Harry missed half the season. Michel was sick this week and has had chronic knee issues. The members of the OL collectively have rotated who's been hurt week to week. Their 2 fullbacks are on IR. They had a LB playing offense out of desperation score a TD today. IMO, a better question would be if NE could take on another team's healthy offense, which offense would it be.

The correct answer is zero.  This isn't about Brady in the least.  This is about a team that never could replace their HOF TE and what it meant to the system they operate.  

Anyone who says differently is just itching to pile on as they FINALLY see a vulnerability in the Patriots after waiting about 20 years for their opportunity but the reality is Tom Brady is still Tom Brady. He has more championships than most of us have tried friends and if he is 85% of what he once was, he is still better and more clutch than anybody else in a playoff moment when everything is on the line. 

This is what I assumed and will stick by my assertion that, despite Shamrock Pride's PSF-inspired laughing with certianly emoji that the whole crew around him is banged up and that it's not just him.

Probably very few, if at all, would I bring in to replace. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Wait. The new QB has to learn the Pats system in six days and then play a playoff game? I’d stick with Brady in that case. 
Well, yeah. If they don’t have time to build any timing with the receivers or learn the routes that will be run, you can’t win many games in the NFL. 

The Impeached Bill Belichick has been on record saying Brady can never practice this year. 

Brady's experience makes him lethal in any one game of the playoffs but it seems like this year he just doesn't have it and he doesn't. No one at TE or WR to write home about and a patchy OL, inconsistent running game. It's just a bad mix, 

Playoff QBs I would want to have over Tom Brady at this point:

Every single one of them other than Josh Allen and Ryan Tannehill.   :shrug:  

Brees is probably the only one I'd take over him in New England's system.

Its amazing how much blame Brady is getting for having almost zero weaponry, and a below average o-line. He has less supporting cast talent around him than any other QB in the playoffs. Sometimes I think people just want to be the first to be right about something, which leads to writing guys off far too soon, or alternatively crowning guys too early. 

I do think there is a good chance the Pats are 1 and done, but that isn't on Brady, that is mostly because I think the Titans are the 2nd best team in the AFC, the only reason they didn't win the AFC South is they dug a 2-4 hole with Mariota. They were neck and neck with New Orleans(the best team in the NFL in my eyes) beat KC, and split with Houston, and were unlucky to lose the one they did. One could argue if Tannehill is starting all season, the Titans are the #2 seed.

:lmao:  at all the 'top defense of all time' talk with this mediocre NE defense.

I'm 100% certain BB is kicking himself for letting Jimmy G go for a song, allowing TB12 to dictate to him, who is/isn't going to back him up. now TB12 will retire and leave a huge void.but, that was his intention all along , wasn't it? to say 'BB never won without me'. to leave the cupboard empty. you can't get  a backup QB, i'm here forever.

TB12 is about the 20th best QB in the league. I'm pretty sure BB knows this is not the vintage Brady, and that he's incapable of delivering the goods. I'm sure he would want 

19 other QBs , maybe more. TB12 is a JAG now. has been all year really.

The correct answer is zero.  This isn't about Brady in the least.  This is about a team that never could replace their HOF TE and what it meant to the system they operate.  

Anyone who says differently is just itching to pile on as they FINALLY see a vulnerability in the Patriots after waiting about 20 years for their opportunity but the reality is Tom Brady is still Tom Brady. He has more championships than most of us have tried friends and if he is 85% of what he once was, he is still better and more clutch than anybody else in a playoff moment when everything is on the line. 
Funny, there's a discussion in the top 100 thread about how much of gronks career he's missed.

Seems to me given this parameter you would want a vet who has been around a while - Brees and Rodgers - but honestly the idea of bringing in anybody from the outside and giving them 6 days to get ready seems crazy to me.  I’d probably stick with Brady.

:lmao:  at all the 'top defense of all time' talk with this mediocre NE defense.

I'm 100% certain BB is kicking himself for letting Jimmy G go for a song, allowing TB12 to dictate to him, who is/isn't going to back him up. now TB12 will retire and leave a huge void.but, that was his intention all along , wasn't it? to say 'BB never won without me'. to leave the cupboard empty. you can't get  a backup QB, i'm here forever.

TB12 is about the 20th best QB in the league. I'm pretty sure BB knows this is not the vintage Brady, and that he's incapable of delivering the goods. I'm sure he would want 

19 other QBs , maybe more. TB12 is a JAG now. has been all year really.
:pokey:  

Can we stop poking the bear? 

Brady is not incapable of delivering the goods.  He might not, I hope he doesn't, but we're kidding ourselves if we think there's no chance he pulls out some magic. 

Seems to me given this parameter you would want a vet who has been around a while - Brees and Rodgers - but honestly the idea of bringing in anybody from the outside and giving them 6 days to get ready seems crazy to me.  I’d probably stick with Brady.
That's me. I'm never surprised when I'm in the minority on things anymore but this one sort of surprised me with people thinking any new QB could come in and better in 6 days than Brady. It's why I asked though. 

Also - wanted to say thanks for the excellent discussion. I know people like to declare message board forums dead and old school but I still believe in them and you guys. Thanks. 

lol that's what people said last year.  The silliest hot take in sports is doubting Belichick.  
It’s not really much of a hot take.  If you want to assume the past will always predict the future, that’s on you.  Here is what is different:

1.  They’ve already lost to the other top 3 AFC teams

2.  They have pretty much zero playmakers left on offense (assuming the Edelman injury is serious)

3.  They don’t have a bye

So please tell me why it’s such a hot take.

lol that's what people said last year.  The silliest hot take in sports is doubting Belichick.  
Please drop calling other people's takes silly.

I do agree it's been proven over the years it's dangerous to doubt Belichick. 

And I do agree this year feels a little different. 

But I still tend to believe in the Patriots. 

Please drop calling other people's takes silly.

I do agree it's been proven over the years it's dangerous to doubt Belichick. 

And I do agree this year feels a little different. 

But I still tend to believe in the Patriots. 
I listed 3 reasons above as to why this year is likely different.  I think the biggest one is that they have to play at least one extra game away from Foxboro.  In the few times in the BB/Brady era where this team didn't get a bye, they have not made the super bowl.  This team has a 42 year old QB at the helm with no playmakers around him.  I'm sorry but I don't see how anyone can make a case for the Patriots.  I agree with tjnc that Belichick is a great coach.  But he's still just a coach and is not on the field making plays. 

That's me. I'm never surprised when I'm in the minority on things anymore but this one sort of surprised me with people thinking any new QB could come in and better in 6 days than Brady. It's why I asked though. 
I voted 4-15, but that was under the assumption that the new QB magically knew the playbook and had experience with the other offensive players.  If we're talking about bringing in a new guy and starting him six days later, I would agree with you that the number is zero.

Users who are viewing this thread