What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

☹ Official 2020 Las Vegas Raiders thread ☹ (3 Viewers)

One said:
You’re missing 2 HUGE things.   1. Paying Mack and 2. He didn’t want to come back.  
That is the Raiders narrative. Mack really didn’t have choice.. They could have franchised him. The team caved.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/raiders-undrafted-free-agent-tracker-001105489.html

The Raiders are set to start playing in Las Vegas during the 2020 season after decades playing in Oakland.

They'll give a kid connected to both markets a shot to make the squad.

They signed hybrid linebacker/safety Javin White out of UNLV as an undrafted free agent on Saturday, the football program confirmed on social media. White is an Oakland native who went to McClymonds High and played linebacker, safety and cornerback during his career with the Rebels.

He stands 6-foot-3 and 205 pounds and could've been a late-round pick in the recently concluded NFL Draft, but got to pick is destination and chose to stay close to school. In fact, both the Raiders and UNLV will start playing in the brand-new Allegiant Stadium being built just off the Las Vegas Strip.

White is one of a few undrafted players to agree on terms with the Raiders in undrafted free agency. The Silver and Black don't have many spots available, they'll add several in this frenzied time right after the NFL draft. Bookmark our Raiders undrafted free agent track for updates on new additions to the squad.

Here are the undrafted players committed to joining the Raiders:

-- LB/S Javin White, UNLV (UNLV Football)
-- WR George Mariner, Utah State (Houston Chronicle)
-- LS Liam McCullough, Ohio State (Columbus Dispatch)
-- DT Mike Panasiuk, Michigan State (NFL Draft Diamonds)

I'm not going to pretend to know anything bout these guys. 

Any analysis of the Mack trade that doesn't factor on the salary cap ramifications is worth far less than the two rolls of toilet paper I have left in my cabinet.

I read Mayock say we have to get faster because our division has offenses with guys like Hill. [ETA to add the actual quote I read: "When you’re in the division we’re in and you look at Kansas City and you look at what they have on offense and what their explosion looks like, we needed to get faster.”]

Instead of seemingly seem like he is trying to mold the Raiders into an offense like the Chiefs, would rather him have say that Ruggs fits our system and personnel and what we are trying to do the most. 
Sorry for quoting my own post, but I'm an idiot.

I think I get what he's saying.

Raiders were 11th in yards last year but 24th in points per game.

We aren't taking on Ruggs to emulate the Chiefs speed. We are taking him on as his speed will help improve our ability to score points.

Even the best Ds had trouble slowing up the Chiefs' explosive offense. I think BAL had the same advantage - they just piled on points.

The way to beat these teams that are the cream of the AFC isn't with the best D, but with more firepower on O to match step for step.

We get our points closer to our yards and we can be just as deadly of a team to face. Icing on the cake is if the D continues to come together as well.

Even the best Ds had trouble slowing up the Chiefs' explosive offense. I think BAL had the same advantage - they just piled on points.

The way to beat these teams that are the cream of the AFC isn't with the best D, but with more firepower on O to match step for step.
And what is the one HUUUUUUUUUUUGE difference between Baltimore and KC and their "explosive" and "pile on points" offense and the Raiders' more pedestrian production? 🤣

This season is put up or shut up time for Derek Carr and all his backers.

And what is the one HUUUUUUUUUUUGE difference between Baltimore and KC and their "explosive" and "pile on points" offense and the Raiders' more pedestrian production? 🤣

No question that they added firepower. We should see more dynamic play out of the offense. But I am curious what is put up look like? Obviously it isn't completion percentage, yardage, TD/INT ratio, etc. Can we agree on what that looks like now?

We are a very young team. I am guessing our starting lineups to look like this (based on a 3 WR set and Nickel base): 

QB- Carr

RB- Jacobs

WR- Williams

WR- Ruggs

WR- Renfrow (slot)

TE- Waller

LT- Miller

LG- Incognito

C- Hudson

RG- Jackson

RT- Brown

Key moving parts: Richard, Bowden, Edwards, Agholar 

LDE- Ferrell 

LDT- Collins

RDT- Hankins

RDE- Crosby

MLB- Kwiatkoski

OLB- Littleton

CB- Mullen

CB- Arnette

CB- Joyner (Nickel/Slot)

SS- Abram

FS- Randall 

Key moving parts: Nassib, Hurst, Key and Harris

No question that they added firepower. We should see more dynamic play out of the offense. But I am curious what is put up look like? Obviously it isn't completion percentage, yardage, TD/INT ratio, etc. Can we agree on what that looks like now?
It means those things, but it also means being more aggressive and scoring more points.  I hope he can put it all together.

I have been a Raider fan since 1983. I have suffered as much as any fan. 

#### being bitter, I am excited.
All day. 

I'm a fan to........enjoy myself. Does that sound stupid? I will knock bad decisions, hope that bad players are replaced by good ones, but I'm always gonna err on the side of optimism.

Especially in relation to the draft. I mean, look at these past threads to see all the picks people were wrong about.

• Smile
Reactions: One

For Baltimore, the big difference was having a QB that was 6th overall in rushing. 

For KC all year, it was having multiple receivers (Kelce, Hill,  who could add to a quick strike attack that allows them to score quickly and successively and often unanswered) and a QB whose skill set in making ridiculous throws on the run when flushed or on designed roll-outs.

In both cases, you have a QB who is definitely making a difference. Yet both are unique in that they rely on talent at QB that no other team really has -- even traditionally elite QBs (Brees, Brady, Rodgers, Wilson, etc.).

If your point that Carr should be as effective of a runner as Lamar is or be ridiculous on the run as Mahomes is, then the argument is faulty as you are asking of Carr what literally no other QBs in the league (and arguably ever) can do.

Even then, Lamar and Mahomes don't do it alone. Mahomes has one of the most talented collective group in terms of offensive skill-positions. BAL had a fantastic D to give Lamar great down and distance. KC was phenomenal in 3rd down conversions -- using scheme to create mismatches and misdirection to get the ball in the right player's hands -- and were 3rd overall and consistent all year. Guess who was #1? BAL -- and also were consistent through the year in this regard.

You are not going to get any argument that with better talent, Carr needs to put up. The D is stronger too which should also help. 

But 1) the argument that Carr isn't doing what literally no other QBs can do not named Mahomes and Jackson can do is weak, and 2) the divide between Carr supporters and detractors here -- and everywhere -- is well known. And discussion around it is largely unproductive because neither side is going to change their mind. 

Let's move on already.

Icon, succinctly, and Stompin' Tom, not quite as succinctly, answered about as well as I could. I'd just add keep plays alive more with his feet, not give up on plays too early, not be seemingly locked in on one receiver (especially now with what appears to be a myriad of improved weapons and Ruggs to open things up). And I'd sacrifice some percentage and TD/INT ratio to make some plays downfield.

Speaking to Tom's statement about

* Baltimore and KC's third down conversion rate, I'd give the largest piece of credit for that to Jackson and Mahomes by doing what I pointed out in the paragraph above.

* Carr being as as good as Jackson and Mahomes...of course not. The only thing I'd ask for a little more from Carr in regards to those two is to make something out of nothing a little more. Right now, if the first read for Carr isn't open, the play likely will go nowhere. With the other two, that's when things canreally get good. 😉

* moving on already. No chance. Now things will really heat up with the weapons added. We've only been served the appetizer so far. Now it's time for the main course. 🍗

I'm looking forward to it. I think the additional weapons will make Carr better. I just hope it's enough to vault em into the playoffs and give Gruden a clear picture once and for all if this is the guy he's going forward with.

I am really liking the Arnette pick the more I look into it. 

Apparently he played with a broken bone in his hand.

Also, per Cris Carter (who has a close relationship with him) that he had a hamstring and back issue at the combine. That does explain why I keep seeing scouting reports that say something along the lines of "his tape is good but his 40 was 4.56" AND apparently he was faster than Terry McLaurin as a red shirt sophomore (McLaurin posted a 4.35 40 at the combine in 2019). 

Really the only consistent knock I see on him from various scouting reports is the 40 time. That may have been a blessing for us in that he fell to us. It also makes sense because I know that Mayock devalues combine measurable and is more concerned with the tap the player has where as a lot of non-NFL 'experts' really focus on those measures we get. High 40 drives their value up. Low 40 drives it down. 

There is no doubt about it, they want to do a lot of press coverage both of those CB's excelled at press and harassing WR's at the line. They are both fighters. 

Also, per Cris Carter (who has a close relationship with him) that he had a hamstring and back issue at the combine. That does explain why I keep seeing scouting reports that say something along the lines of "his tape is good but his 40 was 4.56" AND apparently he was faster than Terry McLaurin as a red shirt sophomore (McLaurin posted a 4.35 40 at the combine in 2019). 

Really the only consistent knock I see on him from various scouting reports is the 40 time. That may have been a blessing for us in that he fell to us. It also makes sense because I know that Mayock devalues combine measurable and is more concerned with the tap the player has where as a lot of non-NFL 'experts' really focus on those measures we get. High 40 drives their value up. Low 40 drives it down. 

There is no doubt about it, they want to do a lot of press coverage both of those CB's excelled at press and harassing WR's at the line. They are both fighters. 
The reasons for the slow time may be good but showing up at the combine with back and hammy issues is concerning.  Hopefully, he gets and stays healthy so we see what we have when football starts up this year.   

Apparently ;)  

Have an Ohio State friend who emailed me to say "Toughest guy on the team.  Played with broken hand and played opposite the #3 pick, so he got challenged a lot...did a fantastic job.  You'll like him a lot.  Not afraid to hit either!!"

The reasons for the slow time may be good but showing up at the combine with back and hammy issues is concerning.  Hopefully, he gets and stays healthy so we see what we have when football starts up this year.   
I think my (re-posted) last post speaks to his "I refuse to not show up and compete" attitude and likely a reason why there was no keeping him away m the combine. 

I think my (re-posted) last post speaks to his "I refuse to not show up and compete" attitude and likely a reason why there was no keeping him away m the combine. 
I love the mental frame of mind on that but then that needs to managed by someone who knows when to tell him to shut it down. 

I love the mental frame of mind on that but then that needs to managed by someone who knows when to tell him to shut it down. 
Better this than the opposite. Maybe him and Abrams will transform the defensive backfield in a strength, both physically and mentally. 

####, what do I know. Just win, baby!

I read that Arnette never gave up more than one TD in any year at OSU.  That is crazy considering he was playing across from Denzel Ward and Okudah and would be seeing a lot of action.  I'm liking the pick more and more the more I read about him.

And Amik! Do not sleep on the Honey Badger 2.0!!
He gives up height against most WRs and will give up a lot of height against many.   He has the skills though.   The Raiders certainly tried to improve the secondary.   Can’t wait to see how this works out.   

At the biggest job interview of your life is not the time to shut it down.  Just like at a playoff game or win-to-get-in game.  I want these guys on my team.

I've been skeptical of Gruden and Mayock "building a team based on character" instead of potentially focusing talent and team fit. Sometimes it seemed we were looking for and weighting more heavily a sob story in a player's past that showed them overcome adversity in their lives, that they needed a second chance, etc. over pure BPA skill on the field.

We have yet to see it fully blossom, but I have come around to the way Gruden and Mayock are thinking about this. Beyond the fulffier aspects of it, character matters in building cohesive team chemistry. It's something we've lacked for years -- a shared identity, accountability, and everyone acting as a leader and holding each other to a high bar. 

The more I see the complete turnaround in tenor and tone from vets like Incognito who have become true team leaders; the more I hear guys like Crosby, Ferrell, Renfrow, Abram, and others speak; and now listening to Arnette and other draft picks -- the more I think that in addition to raw individual talent, character may actually really help drive success.

It sets a tone and a culture for the entire team. You can build around core foundational leaders --vets and rooks alike -- who walk, talk, and breathe teamwork and accountability, who can help support each other as a team, and who stand tall and defend what it means to be a Raider. We see this in the ways guys came together so readily and easily (Salt & Pepa!), and in how excited they get for each other on the field.

The phrase "Commitment to Excellence" used to mean something. Something much more than simple winning. 

And I love how we're purposefully rebuilding around character to recapture this commitment and forge an identity and culture.

I've been skeptical of Gruden and Mayock "building a team based on character" instead of potentially focusing talent and team fit. Sometimes it seemed we were looking for and weighting more heavily a sob story in a player's past that showed them overcome adversity in their lives, that they needed a second chance, etc. over pure BPA skill on the field.

We have yet to see it fully blossom, but I have come around to the way Gruden and Mayock are thinking about this. Beyond the fulffier aspects of it, character matters in building cohesive team chemistry. It's something we've lacked for years -- a shared identity, accountability, and everyone acting as a leader and holding each other to a high bar. 

The more I see the complete turnaround in tenor and tone from vets like Incognito who have become true team leaders; the more I hear guys like Crosby, Ferrell, Renfrow, Abram, and others speak; and now listening to Arnette and other draft picks -- the more I think that in addition to raw individual talent, character may actually really help drive success.

It sets a tone and a culture for the entire team. You can build around core foundational leaders --vets and rooks alike -- who walk, talk, and breathe teamwork and accountability, who can help support each other as a team, and who stand tall and defend what it means to be a Raider. We see this in the ways guys came together so readily and easily (Salt & Pepa!), and in how excited they get for each other on the field.

The phrase "Commitment to Excellence" used to mean something. Something much more than simple winning. 

And I love how we're purposefully rebuilding around character to recapture this commitment and forge an identity and culture.
I don’t follow the Pats at all (besides universally hating them since the Tuck Rule) but this seems to be the way the Pats built a dynasty. More about character and "fit" than best athlete or physical specimen. I don’t know, maybe some folks with more knowledge of the Pats can see if my parallel holds any water. 

Either way, liking Mayock and Gruden's approach for the most part, and benefit of the doubt on whether this years draft picks work out. 

I don’t follow the Pats at all (besides universally hating them since the Tuck Rule) but this seems to be the way the Pats built a dynasty. More about character and "fit" than best athlete or physical specimen. I don’t know, maybe some folks with more knowledge of the Pats can see if my parallel holds any water. 
FWIW, I never got the feeling the Pats has any other culture besides BB's "My way or the highway." Always seemed more geared towards fear than camaraderie. Winning and success certainly helps build that

Not dismissing any existence of culture on the Pats, but I think their dynasty is more due to:

• GOAT under center
  • One of if not the brightest and cagiest (begrudgingly saying this) HC of all time (gameplan and drafting)
  • instituting a system and getting the right "types" to fit key roles 
  • playing sound money ball by being willing to walk away from high ticket single players if their cap space can buy you multiple newer guys who fit the same profile/role needed
  • cheating -- joking (sort of)
I do think based on the above the Pats had a really enviable "next man up" strategy. But I think that was more driven by fear (if you don't perform we'll shed you for someone who will) than guys giving their all for the concept of the "team."

I might be wrong and/or biased -- Pats definitely held a high bar and earned their success without question. I just never saw the players engage and interact as a true "team" as opposed to being more of a cult around BB and TB.

Either way, liking Mayock and Gruden's approach for the most part, and benefit of the doubt on whether this years draft picks work out. 
I agree to this. You have had a history of players that have bought into the Cheatriot Way. (it appears that that has worn down now though as it looks like Brady left because of Belicheat and Gronk retired because of it as well) Once you have an established culture and really bring back "Commitment to Excellence" as not a slogan but how the organization operates then you can do as the Cheatriots did and bring in guys that may not fit that mold (perhaps more accurate to say that help build that mold?) but the talent is willing to follow the mold because of the organizational culture that has been built there. 

People poke fun of Mayock and Clemson but I think that Swinney recruits with a similar eye to these high character guys that bring positive structure and energy to an organizational culture. On top of that, Clemson has been a winning program with high talent. It makes sense to keep going to that well if the water tastes sweet. 

FWIW, I never got the feeling the Pats has any other culture besides BB's "My way or the highway." Always seemed more geared towards fear than camaraderie. Winning and success certainly helps build that

Not dismissing any existence of culture on the Pats, but I think their dynasty is more due to:

• GOAT under center
  • One of if not the brightest and cagiest (begrudgingly saying this) HC of all time (gameplan and drafting)
  • instituting a system and getting the right "types" to fit key roles 
  • playing sound money ball by being willing to walk away from high ticket single players if their cap space can buy you multiple newer guys who fit the same profile/role needed
  • cheating -- joking (sort of)
I do think based on the above the Pats had a really enviable "next man up" strategy. But I think that was more driven by fear (if you don't perform we'll shed you for someone who will) than guys giving their all for the concept of the "team."

I might be wrong and/or biased -- Pats definitely held a high bar and earned their success without question. I just never saw the players engage and interact as a true "team" as opposed to being more of a cult around BB and TB.
There is always culture in an organization. I think it has 'worked' for a number of years because they won. The players were bought in and they players they brought in were peer pressured to accept the 'Patriot Way'. I mean, that damn slogan is a hallmark of branding your organizational culture. Branding helps you communicate in easily understood ways of what is expected of you if you are a part of that organization. I agree with you that the 'Patriot Way' is a nice translation to "do it like Belicheat wants" 

Yes, it takes more than culture to win in the NFL. Your list is true and good but honestly, if you have as harsh and demanding an organizational culture as we believe Belicheat installs and maintains (with evidence that if finally drove Brady out even after 20 years of constantly and annoyingly winning and one of, if not the best, TE to prematurely retire then come out of retirement to play for another team) you have to the organizational body to have believed in it or it would have fallen apart a long time ago. Winning goes a hell of a long way to helping people believe in it. 

(I was working on and about 3/4th the way through a Masters degree in Organizational Leadership so this discussion is right up my nerd alley) 

Swinging back to the end of the draft. Does anyone know anything about our undrafted free agent signings? (Man, I hope Eberle is good so we can eject Carlson)

WR George Mariner
TE Nick Bowers
DL Mike Panasiuk
LB Javin White
CB Madre Harper
LS Liam McCullough
K Dominik Eberle

Swinging back to the end of the draft. Does anyone know anything about our undrafted free agent signings? (Man, I hope Eberle is good so we can eject Carlson)

WR George Mariner
TE Nick Bowers
DL Mike Panasiuk
LB Javin White
CB Madre Harper
LS Liam McCullough
K Dominik Eberle
Agreed.  Carlson is not good at all.  Wish they would have signed Rodrigo Blankenship from Georgia.

And they are in Vegas now. Hard-working gym rats seems like a good move.  

I'm interested to see where their other team-building moves head. 

• Length at their DEs, down to Nassib as a FA. If you are looking at edge guys the Raiders might be interested in, don't bother with those 6'3", 245 lb guys. 
  • The bunching of TEs. I think Witten is here for one season, to be an influence on Witten and Waller. I would bet money the Raiders stash a TE on the PS, maybe IR a vet.  I'm in favor of this move. I think they will be look
  • Bigger. Mayock and Gruden mentioned bigger since day, through this draft. 
Everyone trying to get faster, I am in favor of the team also focusing on getting bigger, and have the ability to push people around, like BAL and SF. Being able to bang around finesse teams, on both sides of the ball, and maintain a lead with a big line and big back is a move I really like. We gotta score, every one has to score, but being able to win in short yardage, on both sides of the ball can make a big difference. 

There is always culture in an organization. I think it has 'worked' for a number of years because they won. The players were bought in and they players they brought in were peer pressured to accept the 'Patriot Way'. I mean, that damn slogan is a hallmark of branding your organizational culture. Branding helps you communicate in easily understood ways of what is expected of you if you are a part of that organization. I agree with you that the 'Patriot Way' is a nice translation to "do it like Belicheat wants" 

Yes, it takes more than culture to win in the NFL. Your list is true and good but honestly, if you have as harsh and demanding an organizational culture as we believe Belicheat installs and maintains (with evidence that if finally drove Brady out even after 20 years of constantly and annoyingly winning and one of, if not the best, TE to prematurely retire then come out of retirement to play for another team) you have to the organizational body to have believed in it or it would have fallen apart a long time ago. Winning goes a hell of a long way to helping people believe in it. 

(I was working on and about 3/4th the way through a Masters degree in Organizational Leadership so this discussion is right up my nerd alley) 
I tend to agree with this. Al Davis and the Raiders lost their mystique in the 2000's because they stopped valuing winning culture and character. Focusing on lawsuits over the product on the field (which Al had admitted to, or he would've drafted Marino.) Drafting purely on height, weight and speed (DHB) without a care for that player's character and dedication to the sport and team (JaMarcus). 

To make things worse, free agents were brought in and treated like hired "assassins ", like Moss, Sapp and Seymour to name a few. Sadly, these guys view their time with the Raiders as the "dark time" in their careers. Moss and Sapp have publicly stated their time with Oakland was a terrible experience. But that's what happens when you chase the money. All winning culture was lost. Gruden knew it, and saw the implosion of a once great franchise and I commend him for taking on the challenge. Because changing the culture of a losing organization has to be one of the hardest things to do in the world of big money sports.

There is a lot of evidence that he is faster than that 40 and if so I don't see why he wouldn't be considered a 1st round CB and with the Raiders realizing that (I have read reports that other scouts had their own clocks in him faster too) then trading down would be a huge risk. You have to expect other teams are doing their homework too and not following the mob on who should go where (which are proven wrong each and every draft). 

That twitter clip of Arnette's 40 very clearly shows at least .11 added to this time before he starts his break. If he times at 4.45 instead of 4.56 does anyone at all question taking him at 19? Probably not. God bless Mike Mayock.

That twitter clip of Arnette's 40 very clearly shows at least .11 added to this time before he starts his break. If he times at 4.45 instead of 4.56 does anyone at all question taking him at 19? Probably not. God bless Mike Mayock.
Maybe they beeped and he just didn't hear or heard late. That video is obvious that the clock is movin' and he...he ain't.

Maybe they beeped and he just didn't hear or heard late. That video is obvious that the clock is movin' and he...he ain't.
Which in football means poop. 

This is why Mayock kicked rear last draft and why the more I look at their picks the more I like them. He does his homework. He LOVES watching film. He does NOT care what others say or think he trusts his eyes. 

This is also another reason I don't put that much weight into 40 times like everyone else does, whether for good or bad. If you are a track star and marginal football player you end up a first day pick while those who suck at track but can ball end up falling. Then all these Monday morning GM's think they know it all because they read a report on a players combine performance. 

This is also another reason I don't put that much weight into 40 times like everyone else does, whether for good or bad.
I would caution you that a big reason Henry Ruggs III is your spanking new addition to the club is precisely because of his forty time, in addition to other qualities. 

I would caution you that a big reason Henry Ruggs III is your spanking new addition to the club is precisely because of his forty time, in addition to other qualities. 
I am not saying speed doesn't matter. I am saying that the 40 time as a way to measure speed has too much emphasis. 

massraider said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bipSHe2YZI8

Every Arnette target, 2019.  Boom. God love YouTube.

God also love Twitter.  Check THIS out:

https://twitter.com/BrettKollmann/status/1256400326732611587

Discuss.
i like the pick.  love that complication of highlights.  the 40 timing can go either way.  he was slow to react (that time), most likely.  or, the time started early, not very likely.  a 10th of a second in game time, won't matter that much IMHO.  

i like the pick.  love that complication of highlights.  the 40 timing can go either way.  he was slow to react (that time), most likely.  or, the time started early, not very likely.  a 10th of a second in game time, won't matter that much IMHO.  
That is the thing. The 40 is a track thing. The proper stance and mechanics of a 40 yard dash have nothing to do with football. Whether it was a quick clock or slow response, neither show his football speed which is what really matters. 

I am not saying speed doesn't matter. I am saying that the 40 time as a way to measure speed has too much emphasis. 
In the absence of anything better, I get why it's so important. Tech should really have improved this. We cant get Olympic testing at the Combine? 

Annoying. 

And really, 40 times are overrated for some positions. WR, for example.

Cornerback is NOT one of those positions, lol.  There's a minimum you have to run, and 4.56 might be on the wrong side of it. In this division? Has anyone seen KJ Hamler highlights? He's a 4.3something guy, fo sho.  

That video of every single pass to him this year, there's not one play on there where you can say, ooohhh he looked slow there. I'm satisfied that if he doesn't work out, speed won't be the problem

Users who are viewing this thread