What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

☹ Official 2020 Las Vegas Raiders thread ☹ (2 Viewers)

Nick O'Leary placed on reserve/non football injury list. 

Signed Paul Butler. 

That means we have technically 7 TE's on roster (though it appears O'Leary is out the door)

Waller

Witten

Moreau 

Carrier 

Butler

Bowers 

And O'Leary on reserve/non football injury list

Ruggs puncturing his thigh seems like par for the course news in this year of continuous bad news onslaught.

Here's a three-fer of news/items:

1. Peter King ranks the Raiders #8 in his latest power ranking -- love that he sees what we see in this team that's so exciting in its potential, but also wary that he sees what we see in terms of mitigating environment: that the overall strength of the AFC West may be the thing that caps our ceiling.
  2. We guaranteed Gabe Jackson's 2020 salary -- as today came to a close, the clause in his contract now cements $9.6M in guaranteed money. He better ball out for that -- we need him to bounce back to form and stay healthy as a dependable starter. No guaranteed money past this year AFAIK so we take some pain now (<$9M in cap space now?) but will have options to move on if he can't get it done.
  3. This maddeningly stupid piece from NBC ranking the 10 worst NFL logos -- with us as #7. Will save you from giving this "broadcast journalist" and sorry excuse for a news affiliate the clicks by quoting the salient pieces:'
It’s too busy and the colors aren’t anything special. Perhaps if the shield and “Raiders” were removed to showcase the swords and the male figure, it could simplify it. Or get rid of the head all together. Anything is better than this. 
The colors -- the ones so often mimicked but always failing to deliver the same clean, sharp, and deadly look as the Raiders -- isn't anything special. Huh.

I'm done with sports journalism-- it's only about thinly disguising moronic viewpoints as "hot takes" for clicks.

Ruggs puncturing his thigh seems like par for the course news in this year of continuous bad news onslaught.

Here's a three-fer of news/items:

1. Peter King ranks the Raiders #8 in his latest power ranking -- love that he sees what we see in this team that's so exciting in its potential, but also wary that he sees what we see in terms of mitigating environment: that the overall strength of the AFC West may be the thing that caps our ceiling.
  2. We guaranteed Gabe Jackson's 2020 salary -- as today came to a close, the clause in his contract now cements $9.6M in guaranteed money. He better ball out for that -- we need him to bounce back to form and stay healthy as a dependable starter. No guaranteed money past this year AFAIK so we take some pain now (<$9M in cap space now?) but will have options to move on if he can't get it done.
  3. This maddeningly stupid piece from NBC ranking the 10 worst NFL logos -- with us as #7. Will save you from giving this "broadcast journalist" and sorry excuse for a news affiliate the clicks by quoting the salient pieces:'
The colors -- the ones so often mimicked but always failing to deliver the same clean, sharp, and deadly look as the Raiders -- isn't anything special. Huh.

I'm done with sports journalism-- it's only about thinly disguising moronic viewpoints as "hot takes" for clicks.
I love to see that #8. I think we have a real shot to be there. We need a few things to break our way. You all know I believe in Carr. I believe the stats show there is something to believe in. I believe he has shown in the past with we can believe in him on an inferior team. He has new weapons. The scary thing is that new word. They aren't just new to us. They are new new.  And that is the key all over on this team. We are very young in pretty much every position group. Excluding the small sample size of QB- the Oline is the old guard of the team. RB, FB, WR, TE, DL, LB, CB and S.... we are drenched in young guys. Rookies, 2nd year maybe not too much older than that and then we have some vets sprinkled in but even then it is hard to find a guy 30 or over. I am guessing... 8 guys total on the team that have hit that big 3 0. That is going to be the key this year. How much do the young guys held over develop? How fast do the rookies come on? Crosby is my favorite example of this. He has a great rookie season rushing the QB. He was effective. But it was not with a whole lot of technique. It was mostly all heart, passion and will power that got him to the QB. Now... imagine him developing more. What a weapon he can be! We need that all over the roster. If we get a few breaks, yes, #8 is reasonable. It will be hard to beat the Chefs.... well, at least until they have to pour a gawd awful lot of money into Mahomes and have to make some roster changes. Then we are well positioned to really take it to them. 

I am pulling for Gabe. We know he has the tools and can live up to the money. I am hoping the lower play was his knee giving him issues still and that is all healed up versus being a poor scheme fit. 

That is hot piece of poo right there. The Raider logo is classic and stood the test of time. There are a lot of haters but one thing I have never heard is smack talk about the logo. I think anyone that knows and loves football, even if they hate the Raiders, respects the logo and the colors. How many other teams are identified right away with what team in what sport by simply saying the colors "Silver and Black"? None. Only the Raiders. I don't know why but that crap makes me way more mad than it should.

That is hot piece of poo right there. The Raider logo is classic and stood the test of time. There are a lot of haters but one thing I have never heard is smack talk about the logo. I think anyone that knows and loves football, even if they hate the Raiders, respects the logo and the colors. How many other teams are identified right away with what team in what sport by simply saying the colors "Silver and Black"? None. Only the Raiders. I don't know why but that crap makes me way more mad than it should.
Agree with the logo hate.   It has to be driven by jealousy since most people like the color scheme and pirate even if they aren’t a fan of the team.   

Slow news month, so bumping with a few items if only to keep our thread above the Antonio Clown thread.

1) Football Outsiders ranks the 67-77 team as the 8th best dynasty in NFL history. - 9 AFL/AFC championship games in 11 seasons and one SB (during a time they had stiff competition from other ranked dynasties -- Steelers [#6], Chiefs [#14], Colts [#5], Dolphins [#27], and Browns [#46] -- all in the AFC alone). While the 80-85 team put two Lombardis in our case, tend to agree that this was the most storied team in our franchise, an era that we succeeded on the back of a dominant, hard-hitting, menacing defense and a gigantic, mauling offensive line. Sound familiar?

2) Raiders open lanai doors for the first time at Allegiant, revealing the 85-ft memorial torch for Al. Biggest 3D printed structure in the world. But not a flame, or a hologram/projection. Just "3D effects." Confusing as to what that is (LED lights and dry ice smoke?), and IMO we should just keep it simple and have a true flame for a true icon like Al. Something for Marshawn to light a j off of. Anyway, some cool history about the torch lighting here.

Anyone have more news on the Ruggs injury?  I know he was seen using crutches which seemed odd for a cut/laceration.  Hopefully it's just nothing too bad.

bowden --  rb?  wr?  great athlete.  questionable character.  this pick screams gruden.  and gruden's days of being an offensive genius are behind him  historically, these type of players, don't do much in the NFL.  i hate this pick.  would have preferred bpa on defense or bpa o-line
:oldunsure:

not great

no arrests.  yet.   first ruggs.  now this.  

:oldunsure:

not great

no arrests.  yet.   first ruggs.  now this.  
Wouldn't read too much into that. This is a multiple-resident location, and SOP for raids seeking weapons is to detain residents for the search via handcuffs/ties.

Bowden was not arrested or charged, and if I'm guessing, will not be.

The most ironic part is that the sooner they can get this kid out of Youngstown and to LV, the better.

But yes, overall not a great look for Bowden or our draft class in terms of staying out of trouble/injury-free in the offseason.

Wouldn't read too much into that. This is a multiple-resident location, and SOP for raids seeking weapons is to detain residents for the search via handcuffs/ties.

The most ironic part is that the sooner they can get this kid out of Youngstown and to LV, the better.

But yes, overall not a great look for Bowden or our draft class in terms of staying out of trouble/injury-free in the offseason.
it's his grandma's house.  the dea has done undercover, drug buys, from the house.  the dea doesn't raid a house and not arrest someone.  the arrest/s will come.  he's probably innocent, but it's a terrible look. 

it's his grandma's house.  the dea has done undercover, drug buys, from the house.  the dea doesn't raid a house and not arrest someone.  the arrest/s will come.  he's probably innocent, but it's a terrible look. 
Yea but initial reports seem to all point to him just being there and not involved or suspected. That being said... he has to at least know about stuff going on which means he doesn't have the head on his shoulders to extricate himself from the situation to not be sucked into things that can derail his NFL career.  

I live just outside of Youngstown and go there as little as possible.   It’s a disaster.   Bowden needs to get out now.   

My take on the Raiders as a rival fan (Chiefs):

Mayock and Gruden have infused the team with a ton of talent, and hit some home runs (Maxx Crosby, Abram if healthy) despite a few misses (Crosby-Josh Allen would be terrifying)

Now they stocked the offensive side of the ball with some incredible playmaking talent (Ruggs as a YAC guy/field stretcher, Edwards the physical possession X WR/chain moving target hog, Bowden the Deebo-like Swiss Army knife to be the lightning to Jacobs's thunder out of the backfield and slot weapon to go with a nice safety net/depth type in Renfrow), a solid TE duo in Waller (though fantasy wise I think he was a one year wonder) and one of my favorite deep TE stash prospects in Foster Moreau (super efficient rookie year and great athletic profile)--all to go and some tantalizing talents on the defensive side.

Yet, despite all of that. it is literally impossible for me to fear them as long as Derek "throw it away on 4th down in the 4th quarter" Carr is their QB.

And no before you think it Mariota sucks too. He is not the answer.

Last year was the perfect example: 6-4 Raiders, 6-4 Chiefs with a gimpy Mahomes, all sorts of talk about the Raiders stealing the division and Carr goes out and puts up 3 points and gets blown out by the bleeping Jets.

Alright. He still has a chance to correct that debacle a week later in Kansas City. The defense does its job and contains Mahomes as well as any team did last year, and yet Captain Checkdown somehow ensures that arguably the Chiefs' worst offensive effort of the year still nets us 40 points and a beat down win==season over, for all intensive purposes

He is their Alex Smith except younger and worse. If Gruden gets his hands on their Mahomes (not necessarily as good--just a difference maker unlike Carr), I see no reason they can't take a leap to the AFC elite. Until then Denver is scarier: at least Lock is an unknown who, in theory, still has the chance to be a game changer, and they have the offensive weapons as well--just not the O Line--as well as one of the best defensive minds in the game controlling that side of the ball instead of Paul Gunther (fire or demote him while you're at it); thankfully for the whole AFC West, the Chargers eliminated themselves from any kind of contention for the near future by taking Bustin Trashbert--which I guess will keep the Raiders from being the joke of the division.

Instead for now they will be neither elite or a joke, but rather go 8-8, earn the 7 seed and a subsequent 20-30 point beatdown in the first round in Kansas City, Buffalo or Baltimore, and none of their offensive weapons--from a fantasy perspective--will ever reach anywhere near peak relevance except maybe Jacobs the rusher (since they don't seem to want to throw to him)

If Gruden/Mayock decide that result is a success and an endorsement of Carr, they're in luck because he is more than capable of doing that every other year with seasons of 7-9 and no playoffs sprinkled in--but that's it: Derek Carr is not winning a playoff game on the road, and he is definitely not taking the division from the Chiefs or even the Broncos to get a playoff game at home. If they decide to swing for something more in the draft, they could really be something special sooner rather than later in Vegas

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea but initial reports seem to all point to him just being there and not involved or suspected. That being said... he has to at least know about stuff going on which means he doesn't have the head on his shoulders to extricate himself from the situation to not be sucked into things that can derail his NFL career.  
Kinda think grandma isn’t the one slinging...

imho, he is 100% aware of what’s going on, in that house. No clue about his actual involvement.  

Still hate the pick. ;)  

Well said. IMO Smith in his prime was better than Carr due to his ability to make plays with his legs.

Alex Smith was F’ing good. 
Yep. Obviously biased as a KC fan but Smith was dealt an awful hand yet was still always dependable.

Besides his legs, Smith always played with heart even on those awful Singletary/Mike Nolan Niner teams. He would never have thrown the ball away on 4th down two yards from the end zone

Raiders right now to me are a dollar store version of the 2016-2018 Chiefs

Yep. Obviously biased as a KC fan but Smith was dealt an awful hand yet was still always dependable.

Besides his legs, Smith always played with heart even on those awful Singletary/Mike Nolan Niner teams. He would never have thrown the ball away on 4th down two yards from the end zone

Raiders right now to me are a dollar store version of the 2016-2018 Chiefs
Chiefs fans get a super bowl win every 50 years and are now slinging "Dollar store"s, "captain checkdown"s and "Bustin Trashbert"s all around the place ;)  

just messing. Your opinion on Carr is definitely one held by some Raiders fans as well. This is definitely make or break year for Carr. Playoffs or buh bye from my POV. 

Chiefs fans get a super bowl win every 50 years and are now slinging "Dollar store"s, "captain checkdown"s and "Bustin Trashbert"s all around the place ;)  

just messing. Your opinion on Carr is definitely one held by some Raiders fans as well. This is definitely make or break year for Carr. Playoffs or buh bye from my POV. 
I won't lie: definitely become more cocky sometimes even subliminally since the Super Bowl, but trash talk wasn't my intent here.

The 2016 and 2017 Chiefs were Divisional Round and Wild Card Round (after choking to Mariota somehow) exits---part of it was a weak division post Manning--and in 2016 the Carr injury, but that is a step above what the Raiders are now. I think our talent was a bit further along than the Raiders' right now (and Smith better than Carr)---was more just trying to say I think a similar trajectory isn't out of the question if they hit on a QB.

Also my opinion on Herbert is the same post-going to the Chargers that it was since I saw him play for the first time: He is going to get an entire front office and coaching staff fired unless they cut their losses before it's too late a la Rosen. Just a happy coincidence he went to a division team

As for Carr, I would expect Raider fans to be dissatisfied. Can't think of a fanbase besides maybe the Eagles that would be more pissed at the timidity that goes into throwing the ball away on fourth down two yards from the end zone.

A lot of the criticism was just to highlight that I do really think the Raiders have made some good moves (like the Mack trade) and put together a roster with potential (not as much as if they would have taken Josh Allen over Ferrell--but still). Not to mention: while I think Gruden still has to prove himself as a HC in this stint, I have no doubt in his ability to develop a QB if he lands a good prospect.

The thing is though with 7 playoff spots I think he is decent enough to squeak the Raiders in. My bar for Carr would be 9-10 wins, 2nd in the division and looking like the team actually belongs in a playoff game (not just going 8-8, reaching it and getting thrashed--with the new format a lot of teams can do that). It would be pretty incriminating of Carr IMO if the Broncos and Horseface Elway with a 2nd round pick sophomore QB finish ahead of the Raiders after years of hilariously stumbling through the QB desert ended up better than the Raiders with an entrenched QB like Carr.

Carr is probably not the answer but the Raiders did the right thing by building s team while trying to find a QB.   This is the make or break year for Carr.   He has had legit excuses the last two seasons.   

Not sure about Bowden's relationships in his past, but one of the biggest downfalls of athletes is their inability to let go of their past relationships, which will drag them down into the gutter with them.  I know Bowden has a child and from what I read is a good father.  I don't think he's involved in drugs or anything like that, I just think as someone else said, and I paraphrase, he needs to leave that life in his rear view mirror. 

JohnnyU said:
Not sure about Bowden's relationships in his past, but one of the biggest downfalls of athletes is their inability to let go of their past relationships, which will drag them down into the gutter with them.  I know Bowden has a child and from what I read is a good father.  I don't think he's involved in drugs or anything like that, I just think as someone else said, and I paraphrase, he needs to leave that life in his rear view mirror. 
involved can be a word with an awful lot of gray area......we all realize since he is the "golden ticket" for pretty much anybody and everybody that he is related to or associating with that the spin is going to be "it wasn't his house, or he wasn't really living there"...."he had nothing to do with the drug buys or the weapons, etc".....and some will sit with a straight face and actually believe it....and I guess I would ask, if you really don't think he was "involved".......why then would he need to " leave that life in his rear view mirror"....?.....insert "just happened to be wrong place wrong time" excuse here___________......

I'm saying this all tongue in cheek, cause he very well may have "nothing to do with any of it"......but he probably knows and is involved more than you think since he is the straw that is probably stirring  the drink in that family/friends circle.....and lol.....always fun when "grandma" gets hemmed up in this stuff...

JohnnyU said:
also, not trying to be a jerk, but it's tough to say both of the bolded at the same time....

involved can be a word with an awful lot of gray area......we all realize since he is the "golden ticket" for pretty much anybody and everybody that he is related to or associating with that the spin is going to be "it wasn't his house, or he wasn't really living there"...."he had nothing to do with the drug buys or the weapons, etc".....and some will sit with a straight face and actually believe it....and I guess I would ask, if you really don't think he was "involved".......why then would he need to " leave that life in his rear view mirror"....?.....insert "just happened to be wrong place wrong time" excuse here___________......

I'm saying this all tongue in cheek, cause he very well may have "nothing to do with any of it"......but he probably knows and is involved more than you think since he is the straw that is probably stirring  the drink in that family/friends circle.....and lol.....always fun when "grandma" gets hemmed up in this stuff...
It's possible he knows about everything going on in that house but is also not actively involved in it.  I would say he needs to leave that situation in his rear view if that is the case.  I would find it impossible for him not to know what was going on in the house he lived in, but that does not mean he was participating in illegal activity.  It's also possible that he was actively involved, I have no idea, but I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt until I see evidence to the contrary.  

KChusker said:
My take on the Raiders as a rival fan (Chiefs):

Mayock and Gruden have infused the team with a ton of talent, and hit some home runs (Maxx Crosby, Abram if healthy) despite a few misses (Crosby-Josh Allen would be terrifying)

Now they stocked the offensive side of the ball with some incredible playmaking talent (Ruggs as a YAC guy/field stretcher, Edwards the physical possession X WR/chain moving target hog, Bowden the Deebo-like Swiss Army knife to be the lightning to Jacobs's thunder out of the backfield and slot weapon to go with a nice safety net/depth type in Renfrow), a solid TE duo in Waller (though fantasy wise I think he was a one year wonder) and one of my favorite deep TE stash prospects in Foster Moreau (super efficient rookie year and great athletic profile)--all to go and some tantalizing talents on the defensive side.

Yet, despite all of that. it is literally impossible for me to fear them as long as Derek "throw it away on 4th down in the 4th quarter" Carr is their QB.

And no before you think it Mariota sucks too. He is not the answer.

Last year was the perfect example: 6-4 Raiders, 6-4 Chiefs with a gimpy Mahomes, all sorts of talk about the Raiders stealing the division and Carr goes out and puts up 3 points and gets blown out by the bleeping Jets.

Alright. He still has a chance to correct that debacle a week later in Kansas City. The defense does its job and contains Mahomes as well as any team did last year, and yet Captain Checkdown somehow ensures that arguably the Chiefs' worst offensive effort of the year still nets us 40 points and a beat down win==season over, for all intensive purposes

He is their Alex Smith except younger and worse. If Gruden gets his hands on their Mahomes (not necessarily as good--just a difference maker unlike Carr), I see no reason they can't take a leap to the AFC elite. Until then Denver is scarier: at least Lock is an unknown who, in theory, still has the chance to be a game changer, and they have the offensive weapons as well--just not the O Line--as well as one of the best defensive minds in the game controlling that side of the ball instead of Paul Gunther (fire or demote him while you're at it); thankfully for the whole AFC West, the Chargers eliminated themselves from any kind of contention for the near future by taking Bustin Trashbert--which I guess will keep the Raiders from being the joke of the division.

Instead for now they will be neither elite or a joke, but rather go 8-8, earn the 7 seed and a subsequent 20-30 point beatdown in the first round in Kansas City, Buffalo or Baltimore, and none of their offensive weapons--from a fantasy perspective--will ever reach anywhere near peak relevance except maybe Jacobs the rusher (since they don't seem to want to throw to him)

If Gruden/Mayock decide that result is a success and an endorsement of Carr, they're in luck because he is more than capable of doing that every other year with seasons of 7-9 and no playoffs sprinkled in--but that's it: Derek Carr is not winning a playoff game on the road, and he is definitely not taking the division from the Chiefs or even the Broncos to get a playoff game at home. If they decide to swing for something more in the draft, they could really be something special sooner rather than later in Vegas
I don't like you for more than one reason

Crowing about not fearing a team you've had a 43-18 record against over the last 30 years is kinda trite.

Can't wait for this season to start so we can begin cashing in some reality checks.

This is a sink or swim year for Carr no matter if you think he should be our QB or not.

And he has his work cut out for him --  this will be the toughest division in the NFL by far this year.

Crowing about not fearing a team you've had a 43-18 record against over the last 30 years is kinda trite.

Can't wait for this season to start so we can begin cashing in some reality checks.

This is a sink or swim year for Carr no matter if you think he should be our QB or not.

And he has his work cut out for him --  this will be the toughest division in the NFL by far this year.
Just trying to make conversation and keep the Raiders thread on the first page for longer... ;)  

I think the NFC West and NFC South will be equally as competitive with 3 very good teams in each division. 

I actually can't believe it's 43-18. Feels like it should be more even: we have had some awful teams over the years. Obviously the Raiders have too but still...

And I did specifically say that the Raiders have a lot of ascending talent that could make the leap to scary rather quickly. I am saying that I don't think a team quarterbacked by Derek Carr can be that.

I wish you (and others) weren't so defensive about your team (if it's about Carr then fine because I did tear into him), because I complemented them quite a bit in my original comment

It's possible he knows about everything going on in that house but is also not actively involved in it.  I would say he needs to leave that situation in his rear view if that is the case.  I would find it impossible for him not to know what was going on in the house he lived in, but that does not mean he was participating in illegal activity.  It's also possible that he was actively involved, I have no idea, but I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt until I see evidence to the contrary.  
Technically “knowing” I guess doesn’t make you involved....but if its wrong, it some ways it kinda does...IMO........involved and now “actively involved” all have a ton of gray area and thats why I led my previous post off with that comment....when the golden ticket is involved it is ALWAYS somebody else and not the golden ticket.....Chris Carter told the rookies that a long time ago....”make sure you got a fall guy”....of course the ticket “wasn’t actively participating in illegal activity”....unless some actual evidence comes out otherwise....but thats where you insert the fall guy...or grandma...

I actually can't believe it's 43-18. Feels like it should be more even: we have had some awful teams over the years. Obviously the Raiders have too but still...

And I did specifically say that the Raiders have a lot of ascending talent that could make the leap to scary rather quickly. I am saying that I don't think a team quarterbacked by Derek Carr can be that.

I wish you (and others) weren't so defensive about your team (if it's about Carr then fine because I did tear into him), because I complemented them quite a bit in my original comment
It's not defensive to say that I think this team is going to surprise people.

And I don't think it's defensive to call a viewpoint that presents the Raiders as nothing to fear to a team that just won the Superbowl as lacking in originality or obviousness. 

You brought up two games as an indictment of Carr, so not exactly a holistic opinion, and it's bizarre to me that you think that an unproven Lock is automatically a "game changer" when Carr has 3 Pro Bowls under his belt. And let's be clear, this wasn't only about Carr, you threw in some choice criticism of Guenther and said the only reason the Raiders aren't the joke of the division is that the Chargers drafted Hebert.

Just because you rain compliments on some players does not make your opinion immune to scrutiny. You should avoiding labeling people defensive for disagreeing with your point of view. And I think you are vastly underrating Carr and the competitiveness that's going to come from all teams in this division. 

I do think you raise some good points -- overall, we can agree that Carr still has to prove he can bring this team to the next level.  Your comparison to Alex Smith is a good one. I think Smith may have struggled more initially that Carr out of the gate, but their overall completion percentages and ratings align (while Carr is much better in the INT department).

I actually think Smith is vastly underrated, and both of these QBs have shown their specific contributions can take their team to the playoffs (Smith in '11, Carr in '16). Both are above average talents and are able to create wins based on their skills. Both need talent around them to make that happen -- as do most QBs not named Brady or Manning or Brees. Carr isn't a QB that automatically raises the talent around him, but he's far better than many give him credit for IMO.

If you are “unsure” and are uneducated about his “past relationships”....then after what has happened can you really say with confidence....”I don’t think he is involved with drugs or anything like that”....
Educate me about what you yourself specifically know about Bowden's past relationships and life, and why a kid growing up in a very rough area of a fairly impoverished town, where it's more than likely he had peers get into trouble all around him, automatically means he is likely involved?

I grew up and knew drug users and sellers all around me -- do you automatically assume I am involved with drugs as a result?

At best you are creating guilt by association.

It's not defensive to say that I think this team is going to surprise people.

And I don't think it's defensive to call a viewpoint that presents the Raiders as nothing to fear to a team that just won the Superbowl as lacking in originality or obviousness. 

You brought up two games as an indictment of Carr, so not exactly a holistic opinion, and it's bizarre to me that you think that an unproven Lock is automatically a "game changer" when Carr has 3 Pro Bowls under his belt. And let's be clear, this wasn't only about Carr, you threw in some choice criticism of Guenther and said the only reason the Raiders aren't the joke of the division is that the Chargers drafted Hebert.

Just because you rain compliments on some players does not make your opinion immune to scrutiny. You should avoiding labeling people defensive for disagreeing with your point of view. And I think you are vastly underrating Carr and the competitiveness that's going to come from all teams in this division. 

I do think you raise some good points -- overall, we can agree that Carr still has to prove he can bring this team to the next level.  Your comparison to Alex Smith is a good one. I think Smith may have struggled more initially that Carr out of the gate, but their overall completion percentages and ratings align (while Carr is much better in the INT department).

I actually think Smith is vastly underrated, and both of these QBs have shown their specific contributions can take their team to the playoffs (Smith in '11, Carr in '16). Both are above average talents and are able to create wins based on their skills. Both need talent around them to make that happen -- as do most QBs not named Brady or Manning or Brees. Carr isn't a QB that automatically raises the talent around him, but he's far better than many give him credit for IMO.
Yes, it isn't holistic but those two games--along with Tennessee (the game with the 4th down throw away)--were the most important of the Raiders season. They had the chance to catapult  themselves into a division title and home playoff game and instead got trashed 3 times in embarrassing fashion--one by an Adam Gase coached team. It might not be fair but those are the types of games that stand out in a QB's body of work.

And I don't believe Lock is automatically a game changer. My exact words I believe were "has the chance to be a game changer (in theory)"--far from a guarantee, just saying that he is not a finished product while I think Carr (for the most part) is. That does not mean the finished version of Lock will be a stud or even better than Carr.

As for the non Carr part, Guenther isn't a huge problem or anything but from how I saw the Bengals D fall from one of football's best units after he took over for Zimmer, how Mahomes put up an entire game's worth of stats on his defense in one quarter of the first matchup with no Tyreek, how he sent off the Oakland faithful by making a sixth round rookie look like Peyton Manning---I don't believe he is the solution either.

Additionally, "joke" was too strong of a word but remember that the Raiders are a national brand, while nobody cares about the Chargers and Denver/KC are still relatively small market.

Both the Raiders' good and bad will be exaggerated by the media and missing the playoffs 3 years in a row after hiring a high profile Super Bowl winning coach and giving him a 10 year deal would be mocked quite a bit--whether fairly or not.

My "defensiveness" comment wasn't because you were disagreeing but because you were interpreting my comment as mocking/making fun of the Raiders--which it wasn't. Things change fast in the NFL and I can think of quite a few AFC teams that are close to "scary" level--even to a Super Bowl champ--and the Raiders aren't that far if for only one reason (as I have said).

For the last paragraph, I am going to say that I think pre-leg injury Carr was a very different QB. More of a gunslinger, more able to create outside the pocket and scramble for tough yards (instead of throw it away on 4th and goal). IMO he was on his way to a Matt Stafford type career as a back end of the top 10 level QB with the potential for a top 5 year every now and then before the leg snapped

As for competitiveness: I expect the Chiefs to win the division (admittedly am biased) with a floor of 11 wins and a ceiling of 14-15. After that, it's trickier: I would take the Broncos and think their ceiling is 11 wins and contending for division, but the Raiders have a substantially higher floor despite a lower ceiling (goes back to Carr). If I had to pick, I think Denver finishes higher by a game or two and both make the playoffs as wild cards--as the 5 and 7 seeds respectively.

I just don't see much in the Chargers. Don't think any of their players besides Keenan, Bosa and rookie Kenneth Murray are as good as they are hyped up to be. Tyrod is to me a way below average QB and Herbert is flat out horrible. I think they win 2-3 games.

In the coming years though both the Broncos and Raiders have the potential to be very interesting

@KChusker I took your posts as non-combative and fair opinions, fwiw.
I just couldn’t resist making a "win the super bowl every 50 years" jab. 

then again, what's it been for the Raiders?!?! 35-36 effin years???!!! Ugh. 

Educate me about what you yourself specifically know about Bowden's past relationships and life, and why a kid growing up in a very rough area of a fairly impoverished town, where it's more than likely he had peers get into trouble all around him, automatically means he is likely involved?

I grew up and knew drug users and sellers all around me -- do you automatically assume I am involved with drugs as a result?

At best you are creating guilt by association.
I know zero about him....thats the point....I won’t say what I think he is involved in or what he isn’t....(other then tongue in cheek)

Johnny U’s two comments:

1. Not sure about his past relationships 

2. I don’t think he is involved in drugs or anything like that

I don’t think you can say #1 ....and then follow it up with #2....if you are uneducated like you are admitting in #1......let alone what he and his “grandma” just got hemmed up in......

I know zero about him....thats the point....I won’t say what I think he is involved in or what he isn’t....(other then tongue in cheek)

Johnny U’s two comments:

1. Not sure about his past relationships 

2. I don’t think he is involved in drugs or anything like that

I don’t think you can say #1 ....and then follow it up with #2....if you are uneducated like you are admitting in #1......let alone what he and his “grandma” just got hemmed up in......
You're ridiculous.  Not sure and don't think both show uncertainty, these aren't conflicting statements at all.

KChusker said:
It is literally impossible for me to fear them as long as Derek "throw it away on 4th down in the 4th quarter" Carr is their QB.

6-4 Raiders, 6-4 Chiefs with a gimpy Mahomes, all sorts of talk about the Raiders stealing the division and Carr goes out and puts up 3 points...

If Gruden gets his hands on their Mahomes (not necessarily as good--just a difference maker unlike Carr)...

Derek Carr is not winning a playoff game on the road...
I just wanted it on record that while KChusker is new to the board, he is not an alias I created despite statements such as the above that I've happened to mention in the past. 😉 Especially statements 1 and 4.

I don't know about anybody else but I'd take an in his prime Alex Smith over a now seemingly in his prime Derek Carr.

This maddeningly stupid piece from NBC ranking the 10 worst NFL logos -- with us as #7. Will save you from giving this "broadcast journalist" and sorry excuse for a news affiliate the clicks by quoting the salient pieces:'

Seventh worst in the NFL, huh? How about seventh best--MINIMUM. I'd argue seventh best in all four major sports. It's a classic, along with the colors.

Slow news month, so bumping with a few items if only to keep our thread above the Antonio Clown thread.

1) Football Outsiders ranks the 67-77 team as the 8th best dynasty in NFL history. - 9 AFL/AFC championship games in 11 seasons and one SB (during a time they had stiff competition from other ranked dynasties -- Steelers [#6], Chiefs [#14], Colts [#5], Dolphins [#27], and Browns [#46] -- all in the AFC alone). While the 80-85 team put two Lombardis in our case, tend to agree that this was the most storied team in our franchise, an era that we succeeded on the back of a dominant, hard-hitting, menacing defense and a gigantic, mauling offensive line. Sound familiar?
Read that. Thought it was done pretty objectively. Coulda had a couple titles or three if not for Steelers and 'Fins as the really big bullies in the neighborhood. Couldn't really argue with the seven above 'em. Well done. Thanks for posting!

Users who are viewing this thread