What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

☹ Official 2020 Las Vegas Raiders thread ☹ (2 Viewers)

Las Vegas Raiders receiver Tyrell Williams (torn labrum) has been placed on season-ending injured reserve. The club also waived linebacker Sharif Finch, defensive back Nick Nelson and guard Jordan Roos, and released center Jordan Devey and running back Rod Smith.
Remind me of the difference between "released" and "waived". 

It is based on seniority. Unless the new collective agreement changed things it is players 4 years or less go through waivers where other teams can claim them and pick up their contract. Veterans 4 or more are released unless after the trade deadline. 

Last edited by a moderator:

It is based on seniority. Unless the new collective agreement changed things it is players 4 years or less go through waivers where other teams can claim them and pick up their contract. Veterans 4 or more are released unless after the trade deadline. 
There is no difference.   Waivers is the process where other teams have the chance to claim the player and fulfill the current contract terms.  People have conflated the terms but really, everyone is released and some players that are released are subject to waivers before becoming Free Agents.

Chad is mostly correct, once a player is a Vested Veteran (has earned 4 accrued seasons) he is not subject to waivers unless he's released after the Trade Deadline has passed.  All players released after the Trade Deadline are subject to waivers.

Las Vegas Raiders receiver Tyrell Williams (torn labrum) has been placed on season-ending injured reserve. The club also waived linebacker Sharif Finch, defensive back Nick Nelson and guard Jordan Roos, and released center Jordan Devey and running back Rod Smith.
Disappointed that Nelson didn’t work out.    Seemed to have potential 

Disappointed that Nelson didn’t work out.    Seemed to have potential 
Agree but he never seemed to be consistent.

I don't like losing Ty as we are going to be putting a lot on some young players' shoulders. But if they hit -- and compliment each other like I think they can based on playing style and physical tools -- it could be one of the best WR corps top to bottom in the league. Let's see how they progress -- learning curves are steep, hope they vault over theirs sooner as we need them to.

Disappointing about Nassib not looking great at camp. Hope he turns that around. We are really thin at DE past Ferrell/Crosby. 

Agree but he never seemed to be consistent.

I don't like losing Ty as we are going to be putting a lot on some young players' shoulders. But if they hit -- and compliment each other like I think they can based on playing style and physical tools -- it could be one of the best WR corps top to bottom in the league. Let's see how they progress -- learning curves are steep, hope they vault over theirs sooner as we need them to.

Disappointing about Nassib not looking great at camp. Hope he turns that around. We are really thin at DE past Ferrell/Crosby. 
Been hearing Key has stepped up play. So there is that. 

I am wondering if not for the Nassib contract if we would have pulled the trigger for Yannick. That us a pretty big contract with lots of guaranteed money. 

Just saw the same thing. Came on here looking for more info... A CB can play with a fractured thumb right? 
Played with a club on his hand most of his last season in college. And the last week or so in camp. This guy is one of those masters of the dirt rub.

The Las Vegas Raiders are releasing former first-round pick Datone Jones, but are bringing the defensive lineman back on the practice squad, Pelissero reported.

Dolphins acquire rookie Lynn Bowden Jr. in trade with Raiders  

Published: Sep 05, 2020 at 03:52 PM

Nick Shook

Around The NFL Writer

Lynn Bowden Jr. was one of the high-potential selections made by the Raiders in April, but he won't make it to the regular-season field in Silver and Black.

The Raiders are trading Bowden and a sixth-round pick to the Miami Dolphins for a fourth-round selection, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported. The selection headed to Las Vegas is the same pick the Raiders sent to Miami in a trade for linebacker Raekwon McMillan less than a week ago, and it's a rare occurrence in that a third-round pick was dealt for a lesser selection in the same year in which he was drafted.

Bowden's positional ambiguity might have hurt him in Las Vegas. The all-purpose playmaker who took over at quarterback halfway through his final season at Kentucky began his NFL career as a running back, while also learning a little bit of the position at which he set multiple Kentucky records. It was part of a plan put in place by general manager Mike Mayock following the draft.

"You see the game changing from year to year, the use of the RPOs (run-pass options) and the use of the Taysom Hills, those type of players that played the RPO-style offense in college, they become valuable," Raiders offensive coordinator Greg Olson said of Bowden in early August, via the team's official website. "We believe that he can transition and be a running back, as well as do some of those plays at the quarterback position that he did in college."

The chance to develop a versatile, position-less weapon apparently didn't last very long, with the Raiders instead pulling the plug on the effort and sending Bowden and the late-round pick to get back the selection they used to add to their linebacking corps.

Bowden might find himself in a better position to impact the game in Miami, which could use playmakers at running back and receiver. Bowden recorded 1,303 receiving yards in three seasons at Kentucky, and he could end up as a running back who finds himself splitting out wide fairly often in order to create defensive mismatches.

Bowden seems like the type of player who might have really benefited from preseason action. We won't know for sure about his trajectory until they start to play the games. For now, though, he's trading silver and black for aqua and orange.

I’m very hopeful about this season.  :shrug:
Yeah, I will just keep my mouth shut and keep my negativity out of the thread.  My intention was not to come in here and stink up the thread, I just see more bad signs and rough waters ahead. 

Not a fan of Mayock.  Even less of a fan of Gruden. 

Yeah, I will just keep my mouth shut and keep my negativity out of the thread.  My intention was not to come in here and stink up the thread, I just see more bad signs and rough waters ahead. 

Yea, Mayock sure has shown that he can't draft. Absolutely. 

First draft... 

Ferrell, Jacobs, Abram, Mullin, Crosby and Moreau. 

You obviously made your mind up admittedly so anything negative is going to be proof that you are right. 

This is the first season in almost 20 years that I am really truly expecting good things to happen. I believe we have a good chance at a wild card. That optimism is based on what Mayock has done. 

It was an odd draft pick.   Misses happen but admitting to a miss so quickly is surprising.    
I'm just glad they recognized the mistake and moved on. I never have confidence in coaches to use players like Bowden correctly (which I wouldn't either). A bummer but at least the mistake isn't clogging a roster spot.

It was a bit of a head scratcher pick at the time they made it for a player who teams are trying to find a position fit for. Based on Mayocks comments posted above he may have been thinking about him as a Tysom Hill type of option as well.

They have Renfrow and some good RB already. It seems like a move made because he wasn't going to make the team so getting a pick for next year for him instead seems like win.

Roster shrinkage:

RB: Lynn Bowden Jr. (trade), Theo Riddick, Rod Smith

WR: Marcell Ateman, Keelan Doss, De'Mornay Pierson-El

TE: Nick Bowers

T: Kamaal Seymour, David Sharpe (trade), Sam Young

G: Jordan Roos

Lester Cotton Sr., Jordan Devey

DE: Datone Jones, Chris Smith

DT: Mike Panasiuk

LB: Kyle Emanuel, Sharif Finch, Justin Phillips, Nick Usher, Javin White, Kyle Wilber

CB: Prince Amukamara, Dylan Mabin, Nick Nelson

S: Damarious Randall

DB: Madre Harper

Yea, Mayock sure has shown that he can't draft. Absolutely. 

First draft... 

Ferrell, Jacobs, Abram, Mullin, Crosby and Moreau. 

You obviously made your mind up admittedly so anything negative is going to be proof that you are right. 

This is the first season in almost 20 years that I am really truly expecting good things to happen. I believe we have a good chance at a wild card. That optimism is based on what Mayock has done. 
I'm open to being wrong.  He did get solid contributors, maybe more, in the middle rounds last year.  I felt like he reached on both 1sts though, and same in 2020. 

Vegas has Vegas winning 7 games. 

I think there are only 3 obvious wins on the schedule, and looking at the schedule the Raiders are likely starting 1-5. 

I'm open to being wrong.  He did get solid contributors, maybe more, in the middle rounds last year.  I felt like he reached on both 1sts though, and same in 2020. 

Vegas has Vegas winning 7 games. 

I think there are only 3 obvious wins on the schedule, and looking at the schedule the Raiders are likely starting 1-5. 
I hate the idea of reaches and love that Mayock doesn't listen to the mob mindset but trusts his eyes which he is a pretty good talent evaluator. I mean, Brady was taken in the 6th. NO ONE had him being taken high. If a team took him in the 1st round even though they could have waited until the 5th would it have been a reach? No. No one will look back on that and say he would have been a reach as a 1st rounder based on what he has done. The only 'reach' thing to me is if you are confident you can trade down and still get your guy then do it but then you have to have a plan B if someone does take your guy, if you can live with that AND find a trade partner (somehow arm chair GM's forget that you need to find someone to trade with to make a trade work) then fine, move back and get your guy. Otherwise, get your guy. 

Ferrell gets knocked because 'he was a reach' because the mob didn't have him going so early and he didn't have the sack numbers that makes a DE look sexy. But he showed up damn good against the run all year long and started to pick up production late in the year in pass rushing with some more sacks, hurries, pressures and knock downs. I expect to see him continue development. 

If Abram and Jacobs are reaches, then give me some more damn reaches. We only got a tease of Abram before losing him for the season but he looked every bit a 1st round S to me and Jacobs was awesome, slowed a little bit by some injuries but remained tough and played through and was robbed of the OROY honors. 

I can't say I could disagree more with you. 

I hate the idea of reaches and love that Mayock doesn't listen to the mob mindset but trusts his eyes which he is a pretty good talent evaluator. I mean, Brady was taken in the 6th. NO ONE had him being taken high. If a team took him in the 1st round even though they could have waited until the 5th would it have been a reach? No. No one will look back on that and say he would have been a reach as a 1st rounder based on what he has done. The only 'reach' thing to me is if you are confident you can trade down and still get your guy then do it but then you have to have a plan B if someone does take your guy, if you can live with that AND find a trade partner (somehow arm chair GM's forget that you need to find someone to trade with to make a trade work) then fine, move back and get your guy. Otherwise, get your guy. 

Ferrell gets knocked because 'he was a reach' because the mob didn't have him going so early and he didn't have the sack numbers that makes a DE look sexy. But he showed up damn good against the run all year long and started to pick up production late in the year in pass rushing with some more sacks, hurries, pressures and knock downs. I expect to see him continue development. 

If Abram and Jacobs are reaches, then give me some more damn reaches. We only got a tease of Abram before losing him for the season but he looked every bit a 1st round S to me and Jacobs was awesome, slowed a little bit by some injuries but remained tough and played through and was robbed of the OROY honors. 

I can't say I could disagree more with you. 
That's fine, agree to disagree. 

None of those players is a real difference maker, at least right now, and it will remain to be seen if they ever become one.  Ferrell isn't that good. Stopping the run is not why you pick a DE number 4 in the draft.  You need an elite pass rusher there or you don't make the pick.  It's not great roster construction there IMO.  Abram looked OK from what I saw, jury is still out for sure.  

Jacobs is "fine" but he's not an elite RB whose career lasts long enough for the Raiders to hit a winning window.  Also drafting RBs of Jacobs talent level (good but not Saquon or Zeke levels) in the first round is just bad roster construction.  Jacobs is on par with Cam Akers talent - very good, but not drafting him in the 1st round good.  

They are going to need to replace QB.  Mariota is not good - that was a bad signing (for that money) - and sounds like he's stinking up camp too.  If they didn't like Carr they should have known that and used a 1st in 2019 on a QB with a plan to use another in 2020 if it doesn't work out.  The Mariota signing is pretty good evidence they don't like Carr.  

The moves they made, IMO, show the Raiders' staff thought they were going to be ready to compete last year.  They were not, even with a last place schedule.

I'm trying not to crap on September hope here, so I'll see if I can manage to shut up.  

Also, fwiw I am being more critical of Gruden here than Mayock, specifically. 

The roster cuts highlight two obvious groups that were upgraded.   The WR Corp is the biggest followed by CB.   The cut WRs were a decent part of the WRs last year.   

Im not a big fan of drafting RBs in the first round but there are probably many teams that would be happy if they had drafted Jacobs in the first round.    He isn't a top 3 elite back but he is an instant difference maker on O.   If he starts getting receptions, he will be an even better back.    The Raiders have to be more than one dimensional with him.    That was a big mistake by Gruden and his O last season.    It's not 2000.   You don't just run the ball with your RB.   You pressure the D and keep it guessing.  

That's fine, agree to disagree. 

None of those players is a real difference maker, at least right now, and it will remain to be seen if they ever become one.  Ferrell isn't that good. Stopping the run is not why you pick a DE number 4 in the draft.  You need an elite pass rusher there or you don't make the pick.  It's not great roster construction there IMO.  Abram looked OK from what I saw, jury is still out for sure.  

Jacobs is "fine" but he's not an elite RB whose career lasts long enough for the Raiders to hit a winning window.  Also drafting RBs of Jacobs talent level (good but not Saquon or Zeke levels) in the first round is just bad roster construction.  Jacobs is on par with Cam Akers talent - very good, but not drafting him in the 1st round good.  

They are going to need to replace QB.  Mariota is not good - that was a bad signing (for that money) - and sounds like he's stinking up camp too.  If they didn't like Carr they should have known that and used a 1st in 2019 on a QB with a plan to use another in 2020 if it doesn't work out.  The Mariota signing is pretty good evidence they don't like Carr.  

The moves they made, IMO, show the Raiders' staff thought they were going to be ready to compete last year.  They were not, even with a last place schedule.

I'm trying not to crap on September hope here, so I'll see if I can manage to shut up.  

Also, fwiw I am being more critical of Gruden here than Mayock, specifically. 
Jacobs "fine" makes everything else you said discounted like a Thanksgiving door buster sale.

https://www.raidersbeat.com/former-raiders-rb-lynn-bowden-jr-was-more-than-just-beat-out-for-the-job/

Lynn Bowden Jr. was the surprise story of the Raiders’ final roster cuts on Saturday. Just days after GM Mike Mayock talked him up, Bowden Jr. was sent to Miami for a 2021 fourth-round pick.

But how does that happen just five months after being drafted in the third round?

“According to a person close to the situation, Bowden was decisively ‘beat out’ as a running back and return man,” Vinny Bonsignore reported on Saturday in the Las Vegas Review-Journal. “Another person with knowledge of the situation indicated Bowden ‘never quite seemed to fit in.’ ”

The question, then, is who beat out Bowden Jr. so decisively?

The Raiders only kept three running backs and, unlike the other running backs on the roster, Bowden Jr. was being groomed to play multiple positions. His role was to be the ‘Joker’ in Jon Gruden’s offense, but based on the three running backs the Raiders kept (Josh Jacobs, Jalen Richard, and Devontae Booker), it looks like Gruden just scrapped the ‘Joker’ idea.

So Bowden Jr. didn’t just get beat out for the job.

He was apparently so unimpressive in training camp that Gruden gave up on his position altogether.

Of all the stories from training camp, the reports of his lack of speed and burst were definitely the most concerning. Combine that with his slow progression in Gruden’s offense and it created the perfect storm for the Raiders to give up on Bowden Jr. even before his first NFL snap.

Of course it was.  No other motivation for dropping that comment exists. 

It was an odd draft pick.   Misses happen but admitting to a miss so quickly is surprising.    
I agree.  The draft is always inexact, and without the extended offseason maybe the kid just wasn't getting the hang of the offense.  Or his character concerns began bubbling and they pulled the cord.  Or they had other guys step up - it was always looking like a heavy set of skill players with Ateman and Doss who have flashed, Zones and Agholor as potential veteran contributors, and Richard who's firmly entrenched in a role.  Riddick was another candidate, and this looks like it came down to Riddick vs. Booker vs. Bowden.  They kept Booker, who's gotten his own share of positive talk in the past and is still young.

I'm pretty satisfied that they made the decision and got something out of him.  Many front offices might have kept the draft pick and cut Booker but if we get out of Booker what we would have out of Bowden then we just got a free draft bump. 

https://www.raidersbeat.com/report-raiders-were-concerned-lynn-bowden-jr-was-becoming-a-negative-influence-on-other-rookies/

As it turns out, the sudden departure of Lynn Bowden Jr. from the Raiders may have had as much to do with his actions off the field as his actions on the field.

“Some at the team facility thought the rookie was more concerned with picking up new cars than the playbook, and on the field Bowden looked measured and not explosive,” The Athletic’s Vic Tafur reported on Saturday.

“On top of a lack of breakaway speed, he was always getting blasted when it was his turn to pass block. There were also some growing concerns that he was getting more and more distracted in Las Vegas and that he might be an influence on other rookies like Henry Ruggs III and Damon Arnette.”

So while the Raiders were hoping that Bowden Jr. would pick up his role in Jon Gruden’s offense a little quicker, it sounds like the greater concern was regarding his character and decision making.

Tafur added that Raider team officials had been holding their breath on Bowden since a government raid on the home of Bowden Jr.’s grandmother turned up a number of “assault weapons” in June. No one was arrested during the raid, but it is clear that Bowden Jr. was dangerously close to a lifestyle that the Raiders weren’t comfortable with.

As of now, the Raiders have three running backs on the 53-man roster. Bowden Jr. had been considered a “lock” to make the roster, but it’s clear now why the Raiders were willing to get rid of him at a loss.

Now that he’s headed to the Dolphins, it sounds like Miami plans to use Bowden Jr. as a receiver – which means he’ll be starting over in a whole new offense and at a brand new position. Again.

I agree.  The draft is always inexact, and without the extended offseason maybe the kid just wasn't getting the hang of the offense.  Or his character concerns began bubbling and they pulled the cord.  Or they had other guys step up - it was always looking like a heavy set of skill players with Ateman and Doss who have flashed, Zones and Agholor as potential veteran contributors, and Richard who's firmly entrenched in a role.  Riddick was another candidate, and this looks like it came down to Riddick vs. Booker vs. Bowden.  They kept Booker, who's gotten his own share of positive talk in the past and is still young.

I'm pretty satisfied that they made the decision and got something out of him.  Many front offices might have kept the draft pick and cut Booker but if we get out of Booker what we would have out of Bowden then we just got a free draft bump. 
Sounding like E) All of the above

I'm gonna side with the Raiders if they're willing to take a loss on a 3rd pick. Taking a loss is the last thing they want to do. The fact that they did it, shows they're a front office with a vision, standards, self-awareness, and confidence to make the right move for the team. 

Of course it was.  No other motivation for dropping that comment exists. 
Or I forgot that these team threads are where fans of the team collectively delude themselves every year about the team, rather than have an objective discussion. 

Apparently I am an idiot for suggesting Jacobs isn't on Saquons level of talent.   :shrug:

I'll show myself out.  Good luck this year. 

Or I forgot that these team threads are where fans of the team collectively delude themselves every year about the team, rather than have an objective discussion. 

Apparently I am an idiot for suggesting Jacobs isn't on Saquons level of talent.   :shrug:

I'll show myself out.  Good luck this year. 
He's not on Saquon's level, but he is better than "fine.".  I agree with some of your other points, but I think Jacobs has a chance to be a special RB and he showed flashes of that last year.

I'm gonna side with the Raiders if they're willing to take a loss on a 3rd pick. Taking a loss is the last thing they want to do. The fact that they did it, shows they're a front office with a vision, standards, self-awareness, and confidence to make the right move for the team. 
This is where I'm at. Cut your losses and pawn off this guy to some other sucker (Dolphins or Bill O'Brien). I have no problem with this move and think it's actually optimal.

The Las Vegas Raiders are signing linebacker Javin White to their practice squad, Garafolo reported. White drew praise from the coaching staff in camp, he added. Running back Dare Ogunbowale, who was released by the Bucs on Saturday, is visiting the Raiders, per Rapoport.

The Raiders are putting promising rookie LB Tanner Muse on injured reserve because of a toe injury, source said. The plan is for the third-round pick -- who turns 24 today -- to return this season, but he’s likely to miss at least a month.

Users who are viewing this thread