What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

You get a $5 scratch ticket as a gift for Xmas. It hits for $100k (1 Viewer)

This.

If you don't think giving at least $10k to the person who gave you a ticket worth $75k is the least you can do.

You ain't generous bro. 
Odd take.

So he could give the gifter 10 crisp $100 bills as a thank you and not be considered generous?

Odd take.

So he could give the gifter 10 crisp $100 bills as a thank you and not be considered generous?
Not imho.  It's essentially found money.  So giving $1k out of $75k to the person who enabled you to have $75k doesn't strike me as generous.

Like I said imho. 

The best gifts are when you give of yourself, from the heart, not with the mouth.  She should put her heart to work.

Last edited by a moderator:
The degree to which you’re pissed off that you didn’t get enough of the lottery ticket you bought for someone, is directly proportionate to how glad I am your scheme of buying others a gift you hoped to profit from backfired.
What am i missing here? Who was pissed off? 

Could vary depending on circumstances, relationship, etc. but seems like a trip or another gift worth 2 or 3 grand would be appropriate.

Original post says girl who won the $71k after tax was like a member of the family “(for now)”. This implies that that status is contingent on how much she gifts the guy who gave her the ticket. There is an implied rift that would be caused by what?
Or the OP threw in a small little joke into his post that you have since escalated into lunacy.

The degree to which you’re pissed off that you didn’t get enough of the lottery ticket you bought for someone, is directly proportionate to how glad I am your scheme of buying others a gift you hoped to profit from backfired.
I think you need to re read the OP.

I am late to this party.

I’m stating that generally, as a law of lottery gift giving.
I have no problem with what you would do, I think you have hijacked the discussion from what you would do to what you think others should do.

eta - I am guilty of hijacking threads on occasion.  Just sayin.  Happy New Year.

I have no problem with what you would do, I think you have hijacked the discussion from what you would do to what you think others should do.

eta - I am guilty of hijacking threads on occasion.  Just sayin.  Happy New Year.
Hijacked is too nice of a word

It's always weird to incorrectly imply things then post 30 times with strong thoughts that were based on an error.  

Posters said what they would do, not what is "proper".

Grandiose on your assumptions much?  Too much cold medicine?

i'm not sure i entirely agree w @Mr. Ham but, if i were the giver, i would decline a cash offering from the recipient. having sold policy as a kid, i am immune to the lottery dream & have never actually bought a ticket but, essentially, as a gift, one person is saying to another, "i offer you a dream". i ain't cutting in on a dream if it hits. likewise, i wouldn't offer cash to the gifter, but i would try to use some of the cash to make one of the gifter's dreams come true, like a home-entertainment system or two tickets to Paris, sum'n likat.

We do a grab bag/white elephant at our family Christmas. About 15 of us, $50 limit. Usually one or two people will buy $50 worth of scratch-offs as their gift. Nobody has ever won a huge amount, I think $125 was the most. If I hit for 100k I’d definitely throw a nice chunk to whoever bought the tickets. Probably 10%. 

If it were a friend/co-worker type situation, I’d still give them a cut. Probably 5%. :shrug:

Depends on who gave it to me.

close friend or family member, I'd give them half.

distant relative or friend-of-a-friend, I'd give them maybe $5K.

co-worker from a white elephant exchange, I probably wouldn't give them anything.

This

Thought experiment.

1. Your best friend cashes out of his startup for $200m, after tax. Do you expect a cut?

2. Your best friend wins $100m in the lottery, after tax. Do you expect a cut?
You shouldn't expect a cut of anything based solely on your friendship. That being said, many people who become fabulously wealthy share with their friends and family - especially if the recipients aren't well off themselves. The amount you share is completely arbitrary.

As to the OP, I would share a large portion of the lottery proceeds with the ticket giver. Initially I thought half made sense, though I don't like the idea of paying additional gift taxes. So $15K? But this, too, is completely arbitrary.

You shouldn't expect a cut of anything based solely on your friendship. That being said, many people who become fabulously wealthy share with their friends and family - especially if the recipients aren't well off themselves. The amount you share is completely arbitrary.

As to the OP, I would share a large portion of the lottery proceeds with the ticket giver. Initially I thought half made sense, though I don't like the idea of paying additional gift taxes. So $15K? But this, too, is completely arbitrary.
I would 100% expect my best friend to give me a cut if he won 100 million.

Not because I believe I deserve it or think he should,  but because I fully expect that is something he would do.

So yes, I expect it.

I like the earlier idea of buying them a hundred of the same thing.  You are literally giving them a hundred times better chance than you had.

I would 100% expect my best friend to give me a cut if he won 100 million.

Not because I believe I deserve it or think he should,  but because I fully expect that is something he would do.

So yes, I expect it.
Fair enough. Would you be offended/upset if he didn’t?

Thought experiment.

1. Your best friend cashes out of his startup for $200m, after tax. Do you expect a cut?

I wouldn’t expect a thing. And neither would my friends.

But, when I cashed out my business, my wife and I made a list of friends and family members and we gave them all varying amounts of money. Not because they expected it, but because we wanted to.

We would do the same thing with a large lottery win.

You could give them $15k on December 31, and another $15k on January 1 to avoid taxes. Or you could give $15k to him and $15k to his spouse. Or you could do both and give a guy $60k in two days and avoid any taxes.

I think giving scratchers as a gift is dumb. Usually, you win nothing. So the gift is essentially nothing. If you win, there's an expectation that you have to give a portion back to the giver? Dumb as hell... worse than gift cards (which I personally enjoy).

Thought experiment.

no, no

Maybe at the most an all expense paid trip to vegas, at most.  Never a handout.  I wouldn't dream of doing something for even the closest friend, but would take care of family. 

agree with a few points from different posts in here. Interesting topic. 

Agreed that the winner is not obligated to give back anything to the gifter, but as a thank you I would offer/give them 10%. 

However... if it was a closer family member who could really use the cash, I would split it evenly. 

Some scratchers are always thrown in for my family's white elephant exchange.  If I won $100K on one of those I would take them all to Disney World.  Keep what was left over.  We did a family Disney trip 8 years ago and had a blast.

Friend or coworker I would give $5k-$10k.  If I was the giver I wouldn't expect anything.

If someone gave me a ticket where I won $71k I would offer $15k.

If I were the giver I wouldn't expect any of the winnings nor would I accept anything more than an offer to buy me dinner*

* This assumes my current status in life.   If I was really struggling financially and the winner offered me some of the money I am sure I would take it.

Circumstances described in this post are different. $71k to the receiver is likely a year or two of salary. It’s meaningful and could be life changing if used wisely. Would be a shame if she squandered it. 
Title of the OP is ""You get a $5 scratch ticket as a gift for Xmas. It hits for $100k."  First line in the OP is "How much (if any) do you give to the giver?" 

I gave my thoughts.

Yep.  Awful.
I regret adding the phase "for now" in my original post.  As @ghostguy123 correctly surmised, it was a throwaway line that I added as a lame joke.  I was interested in finding out two things:

1. You get a $5 scratch ticket for Christmas that hits for $100,000; how much (if any) do you give to the giver?  I figured everyone could fill in the other details for themselves and discuss whether their answer differs based on their relationship with the giver, their relative financial positions, whether the giver knew, etc.

2. Based on the details I gave about the real-life scenario I heard about, would your answer be different?  This one is actually less interesting to me, but I figured it gave some flavor to the story.

I did not expect these weird tangents about what givers ought to expect, whether givers with expectations are bad people, whether lottery tickets make good gifts, or what the "right" answer is based on the so-called laws of lottery giving or whatever.  But hey, it's an FFA thread and they have a life of their own I suppose.

I regret adding the phase "for now" in my original post.  As @ghostguy123 correctly surmised, it was a throwaway line that I added as a lame joke.  I was interested in finding out two things:

1. You get a $5 scratch ticket for Christmas that hits for $100,000; how much (if any) do you give to the giver?  I figured everyone could fill in the other details for themselves and discuss whether their answer differs based on their relationship with the giver, their relative financial positions, whether the giver knew, etc.

2. Based on the details I gave about the real-life scenario I heard about, would your answer be different?  This one is actually less interesting to me, but I figured it gave some flavor to the story.

I did not expect these weird tangents about what givers ought to expect, whether givers with expectations are bad people, whether lottery tickets make good gifts, or what the "right" answer is based on the so-called laws of lottery giving or whatever.  But hey, it's an FFA thread and they have a life of their own I suppose.
Yes, they do.  Wasted some good thread potential in this case.

Did we learn what the person to whom this actually happened did?

Yes, they do.  Wasted some good thread potential in this case.

Did we learn what the person to whom this actually happened did?
As of New Year's Eve, the bouncer has not heard from her one way or the other.  Seems like her answer may well be zero dollars.

As of New Year's Eve, the bouncer has not heard from her one way or the other.  Seems like her answer may well be zero dollars.
I wouldn't go that far yet....

I guess it varies by state but for that amount you have to drive to the lotto headquarters here.

Do you know if the cash was received yet?

I wouldn't go that far yet....

I guess it varies by state but for that amount you have to drive to the lotto headquarters here.

Do you know if the cash was received yet?
Good point - I don't know and I'm sure for that amount she has to go in person and sign some stuff.

ETA - though I will say, he hasn't heard from her, she could have easily said, I haven't got it yet, but I'll be hooking you up with X once I do. 

Here.  I bought you a terrible gift.  What's that?  That terrible gift turned into a large sum of money?  How much are you going to give me?

Honestly, I'd go buy the bouncer a scratch off ticket and wish him good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread